PDA

View Full Version : Something New For SFGAm

intamin101
08-01-2001, 04:49 PM
The other day I was riding shockwave, and I noticed a cleared plot of land that looked like there was going to be something put there. So I am asking if anyone has heard anything, or has noticed the same thing??

robocoasterdude
08-01-2001, 11:55 PM
If you are talking about the clearing that is around that lake next to Shockwave, don't count on anything new going there. That's been there ever since I've been going to the park (about 8 years). There is another clearing between the lake and the employee's parking lot (lovely new home of the Sky Whirl :-() that may actually see more visitors. When I was there two weeks ago, there were a couple bulldozers flattening what used to be a hill on that section of land. With one and a half new rides this year, its not likely that they will be spending that much cash for next year...but its not impossible. This is only my speculation, but if I were Six Flags, I would do what I could to possibly sue Vekoma for providing faulty products. With any luck, this could yield a Flying Dutchman at Great America. I think that would be perfect in that spot. The track would be hidden from view from within the park because its on the back side. The entrance would fit neatly between the Shockwave entrance and the Pizza stand next to it. But remember, thats just my wishful thinking. At some point in the future, something will definitely go in that space, but I wouldn't look for it so soon.

raser
08-02-2001, 07:01 PM
As most rumors go I heard this from a coworker who has a friend that is a lawyer and the Shockwave will be taken out and replaced due to the complaints of whiplash it is a real rough ride. The rumor is it will be replaced with a flying coaster about the same size as the Shockwave which would make it the largest flyer to date.

Honan Beetch
08-02-2001, 07:38 PM
Yeah, I do agree that Shockwave is kind of rough. I rarely ride it whenever I go to Six Flags Great America. A flying coaster of the same height would be awesome! I hope it's a B&M flying coaster, not a Vekoma flying Dutchman.

coasterdude101
08-08-2001, 12:30 AM
yea a flying coaster by B&M would be awesome but i heard that powerdive is going down by an employee who works next to powerdive a pipeline heartline rollercoaster would be pretty cool too one like ultra twister but like 10 times bigger with more barrell rolls a higher drop and with more carts

sfmm2004
08-13-2001, 06:11 PM
i didn't think shockwave was that rough...it's a great ride!! anything is rough in comparison to a b&m!!! with the exception of iron wolf, lol! that hurt!! but it was their first, so no biggie...recent b&m's i mean.

CoasterDude04
08-13-2001, 09:08 PM
If Great America decides to remove any coaster, Shockwave will be the first to go. I mean, on busy days, the line gets to 20-30 minutes the most. And on normal days, it's a walk-on after 4 O'clock. It's also rough and there have been many concerns about the roughness about that ride.

Shockwave takes up a HUGE amount of space. GAm can get a monster floorless, or even a flying coaster in a few years after B&M can it. I doubt GAm will go with Vekoma since the problems with Deja Vu. So if GAm does see a flying the only luck would be B&M.

I think a 4-D could also fit in that space as well. But first lets see how everything works out with X.

Now only those things can happen if Shockwave is taken out. So GAm's future depends on Shockwave. Unless they find somewhere else to build a full circut coaster.

MForceXtreme
08-13-2001, 10:00 PM
Guess what. It is confirmed! a new coaster for 2002 . ITs big (195 ft. towers) , vertical, inverted, and looks kinda like one of those boomerang things. THis is all very hush hush as sfmm and sfog may also be looking into getting one of these hi tech thrill machines.

(No really i love that park. I was nearly born there. And shockwave is not the only answer!. Maybe the yankee clipper. OR put a b+m flying over the rapids with dives toward the rafts!)

WBCMcrazy
08-14-2001, 01:15 AM
You sure you aren't confused that confirmed ride you're talking about sounds an awful lot like deja vu. I think that shockwave can't last much longer before someone gets some serious whiplash. When ever I ride I sit in the front and that turn before the mid courses still hurts like hell. I'm 18, I can only imagine what it would be like for someone who is 60 if they rode in the back. I think that a new B&M would be cool, but perhaps we won't get one until the design a new kind. I mean think about it, Iron wolf first B&M ever, Batman first inverted, Raging Bull first hyper twister (okay that's a stretch for a new kind). Who knows what amazing new B&M will premier at our park next. I actually think that the best place for a new ride if the didn't tear down shockwave would be to build it in the employee parking lot and expand the park out into picnic grove the way that SFOT did with Titan.

p.s. there is no Yankee Clipper anymore, it's now the Ice Mountain Splash (damn corporate sell outs).

NitroExplodes
08-14-2001, 08:49 AM
My grandma is 67-68 and she loves the GASM which is the same thing as shockwave.

Kraken113
08-15-2001, 12:25 PM
I don't think they will get rid of shockwave
for a couple more years. Well actually they
might get rid of it but they won't build any
thing in it's place sence V2 and Deja Vu
were just built.

Bort
08-15-2001, 02:38 PM
No, they cant get rid of shockwave, its a classic and as long as you make it a point to hold ur head straight against the headrest, u wont hit ur head so much. Anyways, I think MforceXtreme was saying that Deja Vu isnt gonna open this year, and I agree. Aaaanyways, I hope GAm gets another ride next year because the more rides they get the more money peeps will spend on coming back. I mean look at it now, on a non-crowded day in june, I could barely fit in all the coasters, so this means more peeps will come again and or stay a few more days.

Coaster Clown
08-15-2001, 08:53 PM
i lucked into getting to go to SFGam last year.
i liked it alot...
my favorite ride there was SHOCKWAVE... i loved it!
i hope they don't take it out, it's oddly placed int he parking lot but still my favorite Arrow looper!
why take it out when it rules...
would you rather have to wait 30 mins to ride it or a walk on!
i'd rather have a walk on!

SixFlagsGreatAM_Rocks
08-15-2001, 11:44 PM
A flying would be tight but still want a floorless!!! a friend that works there said deja vu will open next year the first day the park opens. Unlikey rumor i heared was shockwave was getting a makeover new trains new paint job new lift chain instead of a flying coaster from the lawsuit of the whiplash.

intamin101
08-24-2001, 01:45 PM
I still think that Shockwave is a great ride, and getting rid of it is not the only option that they have if they want to expand. Also, I happen to like the way back seat of Shockwave. It is so cool how it pulls you down the first drop and through the loops and boomarang. As long as you keep your head back the ride will be fine. And I have NEVER seen it longer than a five minute wait this year, even on the busy days.

NitroExplodes
08-25-2001, 05:05 PM
I think they will be the next park to get a flying dutchman

X-Treme Rider
08-25-2001, 10:06 PM
something will go there. they just need to find out the right ride and get the money

kjm3388
08-25-2001, 10:22 PM
what ride is it?????

X-Treme Rider
08-25-2001, 10:39 PM
it will happen

CPFan
08-25-2001, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by raser
As most rumors go I heard this from a coworker who has a friend that is a lawyer and the Shockwave will be taken out and replaced due to the complaints of whiplash it is a real rough ride. The rumor is it will be replaced with a flying coaster about the same size as the Shockwave which would make it the largest flyer to date.

In agreemant that it is pretty rough, It is a very fun ride, but with one problem, it doesn't have a good first drop.

X-Treme Rider
08-25-2001, 10:43 PM
be patient it will come

NitroExplodes
08-27-2001, 07:30 AM
they cant replace Shockwave. Keep the Arrow Loopers!

SixFlagsGreatAM_Rocks
08-27-2001, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by NitroExplodes
they cant replace Shockwave. Keep the Arrow Loopers! Are you on crack you rather have a 80's arrow head basher over a floorless or a flying lol

J-Brew2001
08-30-2001, 01:54 AM
Shockwave is not going anywhere. Just because the lines are short does not mean that they are getting rid of it. This is a ride that is still in demand by many visitors. Besides, it is the ride that welcomes you to the park and is just as popular as the day it was built. Yeah, it may be rough, but I have been on worse. Riding a roller coaster is not supposed to be like sailing. The only part that really gets complaints is the section before the mid-course breaks. From what I have heard the park will be expanding east. I highly doubt that they will be replacing any more rides, much less coasters as they are all valuable and in great shape.

intamin101
08-31-2001, 07:55 PM
Yeah, nowadays parks like to have as many coasters as possible, so they won't won't to tear a coaster down, because even if it may not be the best, they can still advertise 10 coasters or however many they have.

raser
08-31-2001, 08:33 PM
How about replacing the first hill with a taller steeper drop

SixFlagsGreatAM_Rocks
09-02-2001, 05:42 PM
How About give it a total makeover that might smooth it out

J-Brew2001
09-03-2001, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by raser
How about replacing the first hill with a taller steeper drop

I was thinking the same thing. There is nothing better that the intensity of a first drop on an arrow coaster. For 90 feet, even the Demon's first hill is intense. Just imagine what they could do with Shockwave. If they also retrack the portion before the mid-course brakes, then the ride would be much more bearable.