PDA

View Full Version : XBox vs. Gamecube

SilverHammer
08-03-2001, 10:07 PM
I don't want this to turn hostile, but I was wondering whether you all think that the Gamecube or XBox will be better.

I'm definately in Nintendo's corner for this one. The XBox is, as far as I can see, not engineered specifically enough for games. It's chip is a downgraded Pentium III, probably more like a Celeron, and its memory is completely unspecialized. And on top of that, it's running Windows!

On the gaming front, I think Nintendo will win out too. They can develop games themselves, and nobody in Japan, the home of the developers, has even heard of XBox. I am a Bungie fan, but half of the original people who worked for the company have left under Microsoft's tyrannical rule and Halo is turning into a run-of-the-mill 1st person shooter.

phantompenguin
08-04-2001, 12:54 AM
I'm gonna go with the proven winner, Nintendo.

The name Microsoft will hold alot of people from buying an X-Box alone.

Tim
08-06-2001, 11:49 AM
We've already discussed this in depth here. (http://www.coasterforum.com/boards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3512&pagenumber=2)

AZ RIDER
08-06-2001, 01:06 PM
GAMECUBE IS GOING TO BE BETTER HANDS DOWN. NINTENDO HAS REPEATEDLY PROVEN THEMSELVES BY PUTTING OUT GREAT SYSTEMS WITH GREAT GAMES.

SilverHammer
08-08-2001, 04:45 PM
Arg, did not know we already had this discussion. Not a good way to come into the boards, but oh well...

Tim
08-09-2001, 10:08 AM
There actually used to be a forum called "Xbox or GameCube, what will rule?" but it seems to have disappeared/been removed/been renamed.

I'll throw out my opinions again.

I don't think it's a good idea to only compare the Xbox and the GameCube. The PlayStation 2 should be in there, and to some extent the Dreamcast should be also.

Both the GCN and the Xbox are more powerful than the PS2, but that's to be expected with the year head start that the PS2 had. Of the GCN and Xbox I personally think that the GCN is more powerful, but I'm basing this totally on impressions of the games shown at E3 and afterwards. I'm not going to base anything off statements of peak theoretical polygon performance, or claimed memory bandwidth or anything like that. I'll run down the best looking game, in my opinion, from each console briefly.

The latest screen shots of Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron 2 for the GCN absolutely blow any other game out of the water. It's not even close. There is no sign whatsoever of any anti-aliasing problems. There are textures galore, and no draw in. It looks flawless. Hopefully it will play that way too.

Next up, Halo for the Xbox. This game looks very good also, but it has a few issues. The Xbox doesn't handle anti-aliasing as well as the GCN, but better than the PS2. There also seems to be some issues with draw in. Deep down though, there's just "something" about the game that doesn't make it look as good or crisp as RL:RS2. The characters stand out too much from their backgrounds, but that may just be me.

Finally, Gran Turismo 3 for the PS2. The gameplay on this game is really great, but I'm just looking at graphic qualities. This game stands far above any other PS2 to date in the graphics arena. Just watching the game is really stunning, but it does have problems. The biggest of which is anti-aliasing, otherwise known as jaggies. Obviously it's not always noticeable when you're going 150 MPH. Screenshots tell the story though. Almost every shot that isn't pre-rendered shows the problems with the anti-aliasing, as well as the lack of visual clarity (i.e. fuzzy pictures).

Now, after saying all that, the MOST important aspect of a quality game is not its graphics, but it's gameplay. This is something that Nintendo is know for. They make games that are just fun to play, and that's what it is supposed to be all about right? That is one of the reasons why I think that the GCN will be the stand-out console of the "next" generation. If we include the Dreamcast then I would rate that second, followed by the PS2 third, and Xbox fourth.

Microsoft has ZERO console experience, and I think they've made a crucial mistake already. They have made their console too much like a PC. In fact, the demo hardware at E3 WAS a PC. It wasn't a demo Xbox, the software was running on a standard PC. Now, I'm not sure about everyone else, but generally I don't want to play PC ported games on a console. There are two completely different markets, and I think Microsoft is trying to combine it into one. Consoles are generally for a younger audience, whereas PC games are generally for an older audience. Obviously there are cross over games that work very well. My point is that Microsoft, in making their console like the PC, is going to have a problem getting unique games for their console. There will most likely be a lot of PC type games that are written for the Xbox, or just ported over.

Sony has a firm hold on the console market, but I can't really understand why that is the case. There simply aren't that many good games for the PS2, especially when compared to the total crap that DOES exist. Sure there is the occasional great game (i.e. GT3, NBA Street, SSX) but for the most part it's just a bunch of garbage. I'm not sure if maybe the general public just walks into Toys R Us and sees shelf after shelf of PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games and thinks to themselves "Well this looks great, they must have every game ever made! I have to have this!" What they really have is a lot of trash and a few gems. I think that Sony has gone for quantity over quality, but in reality who can argue with that strategy. It has made them immensely successful.

Sega is the unfortunate loser of the console battle. The Dreamcast fell victim to hype. Great game after great game was coming out for the Dreamcast, but still people were waiting for the PS2. It's my opinion that if people had realized what the PS2 would actually give them, then they would have gone out immediately and purchased a Dreamcast. Sega invented online console play with games like Phantasy Star Online and the Sega Sports franchises. Now that looks to be a major selling point for all of the consoles. Of all the developers, I think Sega was the most innovative. They weren't scared to go and try to create a new market, instead of sticking to the tried and true and releasing game after game that were essentially the same. Look at Seaman and Ecco the Dolphin : Defender of the Seas. Ecco in particular is a stunning game visually. I can't say I'm a big fan of being a dolphin out to save the ocean, but the game just plain looks great. It's because of games like that and Sega's willingness to try new things that will benefit every console out there now that Sega is a 3rd party developer. Because of the failure of the Dreamcast, unfortunate as it was, every gamer out there will win.

Lastly, I'll look at Nintendo. There is no doubt that they have a history of great games. Before Mario 64 a 3d platformer didn't exist. After that game it seemed like everyone was trying to create every game in 3d. They have some of the best, if not THE best first and second party developers for them (Rare and EAD stick out immediately). They have franchises that people have grown up with, and have come to see as a sign of quality. That right there is, I think, Nintendos biggest advantage. They have games that are known for great gameplay, quality graphics, and just plain being fun to play. They also make games that EVERYONE can play. Because of that they've been labelled as being a "kiddie company." I couldn't disagree more. Sure kids like to play their games, but just because a game CAN be played by kids doesn't make it a kiddie game. I personally love playing Mario Kart. Is that a kiddie game? It doesn't have blood and gore in it, so probably a lot of people would say it was a kiddie game. It's fun. Games are supposed to be fun. That is what Nintendo does. They make fun games, and this time they've created a system, the GCN, that is very easy to develop for and in the process I believe they've created what will be the best console out there.

DyingDutchman
08-12-2001, 07:24 PM
ok just to clear things up, i AM IN NINTENDOS CORNER and i have preordered a gamecube in january and am getting one on the day of lauch, but xbox IS MORE POWERFUL, hands down. look at the facts. but nintendo has much more experience and produces overall good games. also microsoft has no CONSOLE video game loyalists, so X-Box MAY even suffer the same fate as the Dreamcast.

oh and dude, As much as i think that gamecube will rock and kill X-Box, PS2 still claims supremacy. i mean sure, it was done ONE YEAR WOW before gamecube, but look at Playstation and nintendo. playstation was done way b4 64, but playstation was WAY MORE succesful in my opinion and hhas sold more games and everything and more people own playstations. also in Gamepro, many of the polls show playstation have over 40% of the readers loyalty and nintendo 64 only has barely over 10.

still, gamecube is going to be awesome, so go and preorder yours now! hehe i always wanted to say that.

thom25
08-12-2001, 08:04 PM
Hi,

I agree Nintendo has the games in its cornor - but the machine has one MAJOR flaw (as I understand it). It uses small mini discs - it can't play CDs or DVDs. Playstation and Xbox both have this ability, so it's like buying a game system and getting a free DVD player - a much better value.

Given the amount of quality games Playstation currently has out now and the additional games available by Christmas - I personally don't think either company will be able to touch them. Nintendo and Microsoft will be competing for scraps.

Tom

Tim
08-12-2001, 09:15 PM
The GameCube isn't going to try to be the all in one entertainment system that the PS2 and Xbox will. It uses proprietary (read hard to pirate) media in it. That said, there will be a GameCube released that can also play regular cds and dvds. It will be released by Panasonic (they are the creators of the drive used in the GameCube). It will be in line with the cost of the PS2 and Xbox (around $299) and will have the full GameCube hardware, as well as a 3 disc dvd/cd drive in it. I'd look for it about 6 months after launch.

swOHman
08-13-2001, 02:43 AM
I think Nintendo is taking a wise step into not putting any extra's (DVD player, etc.) into the original release of GCN. Since there is no extra's the games are the only priority and all of the power of the machine goes into the games. In the PS2 it has been know in some games that the extra features have taken away from overall pictue and graphic quality. Also the DVD in the PS2 isn't the most quality DVD. When I buy a console, I buy it to play games. If I want to listen to CD's I buy a high quality CD player and ditto for DVD's. I buy consoles based on game quality and overall system quality, not becuase it has a mediocre CD and DVD player built into the system. GCN's games are also the easiest to develope for and one reason is that developers don't have to worry about any extra's in the system. My money (the little I have LOL) is going into GCN, and I'm going to preorder mine ASAP (for some odd reason I haven't thought of preordering one yet, but I'm going to hop on over to Best Buy tomorrow and do it).

Tim
08-13-2001, 10:35 AM
I don't know if Best Buy is taking pre-orders for any consoles. I know that they didn't for the PS2, you just had to show up and hope they had one. If you want to pre-order, your best bet is Electronics Boutique, Babbages or Funcoland. I've been told that they may have put pre-orders on hold until closer to launch though. I know that they are still taking pre-orders for games, but I'm not sure about the console. If any place is taking them, I'd put my money on Babbages.

V2kid62489
08-13-2001, 01:17 PM
i say NGC will beat X-Box

swOHman
08-15-2001, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by magicsquid
I don't know if Best Buy is taking pre-orders for any consoles. I know that they didn't for the PS2, you just had to show up and hope they had one. If you want to pre-order, your best bet is Electronics Boutique, Babbages or Funcoland. I've been told that they may have put pre-orders on hold until closer to launch though. I know that they are still taking pre-orders for games, but I'm not sure about the console. If any place is taking them, I'd put my money on Babbages.

Thanks for the info. I checked Best Buy's website and they are not taking preorders for GCN like you said. I haven't checked Electronics Boutique yet, but I will head over there this weekend and check. I don't think there is a Babbages or Funcoland in the Dayton area, so I'm out of luck there. If I can't preorder one, I'll just show up on Nov. 5 as soon as Best Buy opens and run to get one with the rest of the people (I'm big so I can take a few kids out if they're in my way LOL).

Wackokid
08-15-2001, 02:05 AM
ahh who cares im just gonna get a GBA :)

rob85
08-17-2001, 05:00 PM
XBox All the way

Kyle L
08-20-2001, 05:45 PM
I dunno, im not buying either, im happy with my PS2, but i need a good game!

DragonSamurai
08-21-2001, 11:51 AM
X box apeals to an older segment..its more powerfull

GC is just the coolest though...Smash bros. mele i loved the original so im buying the sequel!!

DyingDutchman
08-21-2001, 07:06 PM
you can pre order a gamecube at babbages. at least i preordered mine back in january.

slipknot8527
08-23-2001, 01:30 AM
I am without a doubt putting my money in a gamecube. However, I am keeping my dreamcast for now simply because I want one game this holiday season. Thy name is Shenmue II. If you've played the original, you know as well as I do, that the sequel will be worth me keeping my now defunct Dreamcast just a little longer.