PDA

View Full Version : six flags monopoly of amusement parks by 2005

vortexandmantis
08-07-2001, 10:11 PM
according to an aol report,ive shortened it,Six Flags corp, is in dept of two billion,profits this year of almost a billion through 3 quarters,six flags corp,is expected to pay off all there loans by 2005,then they could put profits of a billion into their parks each year,they do owe almost 750 million in other debts and they grow worse each year,but once that is gone,six flags is a monopoly outside florida,and ohio,does anyone else know if this is true,i just dont believe it

Swimming King
08-08-2001, 01:42 PM
SF does not have a monopoly in Minnesota, California, Missouri, Pennsilvenia (sp?) etc.

antfarm007
08-08-2001, 01:50 PM
Cedar Fair might as well be a monopoly in Ohio and Michigan, PKI and WoA really just can't compete with CP as an amusement park, and CF owns the only park in Michigan, surprising since 9 million people live hear, 5 million in Metro Detroit alone, well there was boblo island, but most of us know what happened there

CPFan
08-08-2001, 03:20 PM
I yet again say Six Flags needs to focus in on there smaller parks. I believe by 2005 Six Flags will allready have a giant park in Florida, Cedar Fair will make a large park in Dallas Texas, SFMM and CP will both have 20 coasters, and Six Flags Elitch Gardens will close its doors for good.

DragonSamurai
08-08-2001, 07:30 PM
Hmmm i hate monopolys, they destroy the competitive drive adn raise the prices ..but i doubt that will hapen..anny time soon at least :)...long live parks like Kennywood lol

PKI_bug
08-08-2001, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by antfarm007
Cedar Fair might as well be a monopoly in Ohio and Michigan, PKI and WoA really just can't compete with CP as an amusement park, and CF owns the only park in Michigan, surprising since 9 million people live hear, 5 million in Metro Detroit alone, well there was boblo island, but most of us know what happened there

Paramount has far more capital than Cedar Fair. PKI envisions a park that is more diverse in attractions, and that appears to be the path they are taking now. Besides, CP & PKI are on opposite ends of the state, hardly in direct competition with each other. Here in Cincinnati, there are no CP commercials, or CP billboards. Im sure the same is true in the Toledo/Sandusky area for PKI. Theres a reason for that.

Aaron
08-09-2001, 12:47 AM
Six Flags will not have a monopoly. Not in 2005, not ever. Here in Southern California, we have 3 major parks, Knotts, MM, and Disneyland/DCA. Each one has an equal amount of influence.

antfarm007
08-09-2001, 03:27 PM
Remember this famous Six Flags line "we don't build new parks anymore"

dshimel
08-09-2001, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by vortexandmantis
according to an aol report,ive shortened it,Six Flags corp, is in dept of two billion,profits this year of almost a billion through 3 quarters,six flags corp,is expected to pay off all there loans by 2005,then they could put profits of a billion into their parks each year,they do owe almost 750 million in other debts and they grow worse each year,but once that is gone,six flags is a monopoly outside florida,and ohio,does anyone else know if this is true,i just dont believe it

Man, this is very inaccurate.

Six Flags paid $2 billion to WB for rights to Six Flags parks, Six Flags name, and the rights to use the Looney Tunes and DC characers. Almost all of that is financed in long term debt, which they are paying $200 million a year on for the next 20 years.

(Yes, 20 x $200,000,000 is $4 billion, not $2 billion. It's called interest.)

Six Flags grosses just over $1 billion a year. However, gross is the total you collect. They then pay $600 million to employees, $200 million on their debt, a couple hundred million in maintenance, and then depreation of assets. What is left is very little. In fact, the last couple years they have actually lost money.

There is no way that SF will be out of debt in less than 20 years, certainly not 5 years. In fact, most investors are far more worried about them going under than taking over.

cedar_point_lover
08-11-2001, 12:42 AM
Please remimber this was a AOL report. AOL sucks

speedfreak
08-13-2001, 07:15 PM
I have said it before...I think Six Flags is in danger of going under if they dont sell smaller parks, but I think theyll sell the parks and be fine again.

Gladiator's Gauntlet
08-13-2001, 09:43 PM
Nah not going to happen Six Flags is too poorly managed. Like it has been said they are buried in debt and as long as they continue to build 20 million dollar coasters at all the big parks every year thay will sink deeper and deeper in debt. They are counting on their attendence to grow to cover the debt, but more and more people are getting turned off by the crappy Six Flags park experience. When the attendence starts to drop they will be in alot of trouble.

They will always draw the younger thrill seekers but it will be harder for these kids to talk their parents into going to a Six Flags after too many bad experiences. Especially in areas where there is competition from a Busch, Paramount, Kennywood, etc.