PDA

View Full Version : [PROPOSAL] newgroup alt.binaries.multimedia.roller-coaster

robvia
08-11-2001, 12:45 PM
How many of you would post your pictures/videos in a news group if we created one?
Below is my first draft of a proposal. This gets posted to alt.config, and they discuss the merits of it, but I wanted to ask all of you first. Feel free to tell me what you think of the Justification paragraph and your ideas. The wording is very important. The guidelines call for 1 or 2 paragraphs. I tried to keep it short.

You would be surprised, anyone can create a group, that's not hard to do. But getting it on all servers takes time, and the Justification paragraph is what admins read if they manually add groups.

----------------------------

Comments: I am Robert Viands, robvia@testing.net, and the proponet of this proposal. My aim is to create a multimedia group for the readers of rec.roller-coaster.

For your newsgroups file:
alt.binaries.multimedia.roller-coaster Pictures and videos from rec.roller-coaster

Charter:
alt.binaries.multimedia.roller-coaster seeks to provide readers of rec.roller-coaster a place to post pictures and videos of roller coasters and amusement park rides.

Justification:
With digital cameras accessable to more people, the group would let users post pictures/videos of their day at the park. The group rec.roller-coaster (discussion only) has been in existence since 1991. Users (including myself) have found that web sites have bandwidth limits which make it hard to post pictures/videos. The exchange of on ride POV (point of view) videos is hard to come by. The new group would allow easy access to those wishing to exchange videos with everyone in the group.

Proposal was discussed in the group rec.roller-coaster 08/2001. The multimedia extension was chosen because the group will hold non text multiple format files.

Proponet: Robert Viands robvia@testing.net

Andy Rathe
08-11-2001, 02:33 PM
Sounds like an excellent idea! I've noticed the lack of pics on rec.roller-coaster too.

edh101985
08-11-2001, 02:49 PM
I dont exactly understand what you are saying. Are you saying we should put a new topic section for video and pictures? If you do that, that is a good idea.

robvia
08-11-2001, 04:49 PM
I corrected my spelling mistake, we're also discussing this in RRC and we've already made a few changes to the proposal, but I just wanted to see what everyone here thought.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. It's a new news group to go with RRC for pictures (jpegs) and videos (mpegs, avi, quicktime).

rec.roller-coaster is a discussion group (text only). I posted my DBH video in there and most filtered it, then they told me that pictures and videos are not allowed. That's when I came up with the idea for a new group.

I realize that binary groups are purged on a regular bases, like 7 days or less, but that's ok. People will post POV videos, download them to their hard drive, and then post them in the future.