PDA

View Full Version : PS2 will it be better than x box or gamecube?

dukesta226
08-13-2001, 05:50 PM
Which will be better

Coaster Clown
08-13-2001, 06:06 PM
PS2!!!!!

AZ RIDER
08-13-2001, 07:08 PM
GAMECUBE WILL RULE OVER ALL!!!!!!!34

Tim
08-14-2001, 02:03 PM
I can see this may very easily turn into a flame war. I also think that I and some others have debated this 50 times already. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. In the end it's all personal choice. If you still want to read opinions then just check the other threads. I feel like I've already written books on the topic.

ghosta
08-14-2001, 08:30 PM
LOL, magic squid prettymuch you have

mrk468zz
08-15-2001, 10:43 PM
there's room in the market for both gamecube and ps2 or x-box. here's why: nintendo stays alive by making enough games that target younger audiences, than try to compete for older audiences with certain games. cause they skew younger, the gamecube is a pretty safe bet. X-box and PS2 butt heads directly, however. My instincts tell me that the X-box will fall, because i think the american consumer would like to see microsoft stick to software, not hardware.

serpent king
08-15-2001, 11:28 PM
i have to agree with mrk468zz. I think X-Box will fall misserably(sp?). But gamecube will do great. Anyway i think PS2 and GC will be about equl, they both have there strong points.

Tim
08-15-2001, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by mrk468zz
there's room in the market for both gamecube and ps2 or x-box. here's why: nintendo stays alive by making enough games that target younger audiences, than try to compete for older audiences with certain games. cause they skew younger, the gamecube is a pretty safe bet. X-box and PS2 butt heads directly, however. My instincts tell me that the X-box will fall, because i think the american consumer would like to see microsoft stick to software, not hardware.

I agree with your general assessment. In the history of video game consoles since the mid 1980's the market has always supported 2 consoles, but no more than that.

In the mid 1980's there was the NES and the Sega Master System

In the late 1980's/early 1990's there was the Super Nintendo and the Sega Genesis

In the mid 1990's/late 1990's there was the Nintendo 64 and the Sony PlayStation

History dictates that there will be 2 survivors in the console wars. Sega and their Dreamcast have already lost unfortunately. Sony is heavily entrenched with its PS2. Nintendo has a loyal user base and a huge experience advantage over Microsoft, so I think the Xbox will be the next console wars victim.

VTD
08-15-2001, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by mrk468zz
My instincts tell me that the X-box will fall, because i think the american consumer would like to see microsoft stick to software, not hardware.

the normal American Consumer doesn't care if Microsoft makes hardware or not...

Dorkula
08-17-2001, 03:12 AM
Well if you want speed gamecube will be the one for your. If you want to watch DVD's then (take a guess) the PS2 would be for you. I deffenately would not suggest buying teh x-box because it is merly the same as GC PS2 ect.

All togeather I would pic gamecube (I have always loven Nintendo). Playstation may be a good choice if you have the money. PlayStation will also ultimately have more titles but a lot of the time Nintendo comes out with less but better content for there games. Although not to many games aimed at the older community are being developed by nintendo I still beleive that when its over nintendo will prevail. But you may not give up on the PlayStaion. It is a quality machine and the games are usaully cheaper than nintendo. It is also not that slower than what the GC will be.

In conclution both are equil and as a thread above says its the personal opinion of the buyer that realy maters.

Kyle L
08-20-2001, 05:48 PM
Sony allways dominaterd, the console wars so.. PS2!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim
08-20-2001, 09:10 PM
You obviously own a PlayStation 2, and you're happy with it. I have no problem with that, but before you make a blanket statement like that you should do some research.

DragonSamurai
08-21-2001, 11:44 AM
X box slaughters both PS2 and Gamecube in procesing power, graphics capabilitys, and the fact that its brodband modem ready is sweet..you dont need to get the adaptor like for PS2.....i dont care though who is better...im gona buy X box and Gamecube .....and I think X box will do just fine remember they are backed by microsoft and they can write their own software..in other words games

DyingDutchman
08-21-2001, 07:07 PM
trust me in the end it will be this

PS2
Gamecube
X-Box

x-box would suceed if he had past fan support, but it does not.

beltzies64
08-27-2001, 11:13 AM
I agree that the two to survive will be the Gamecube and either the PS2/XBox. It will be close because both are huge comapnies and have a ton of money to throw around, something that Sega did not have. I still say the Dreamcast is better than the PS2, and I own both.

trock476
09-09-2001, 08:25 PM
I have a question which will prolly help me decide what system im gonna get...will x-box play PC games such as RCT or duke nukem or such? thanks.

Tim
09-10-2001, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by trock476
I have a question which will prolly help me decide what system im gonna get...will x-box play PC games such as RCT or duke nukem or such? thanks.

No, the XBox will not be able to play "regular" PC games. They will need to be ported in order for it to play them. The likelyhood of that happening on most games is low, but I'm sure there will be some ports made. RCT almost definately will not be ported over to a console though.

coasterguy1
09-16-2001, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by DragonSamurai
X box slaughters both PS2 and Gamecube in procesing power, graphics capabilitys, and the fact that its brodband modem ready is sweet..you dont need to get the adaptor like for PS2.....i dont care though who is better...im gona buy X box and Gamecube .....and I think X box will do just fine remember they are backed by microsoft and they can write their own software..in other words games

Actually, you are wrong. I wrote a speech on the systems, and the gamecube comes out on top of the Xbox. Xbox's CPU is an Intel 700mhz system. The Gamecube has an IBM 495mhz system. May not seem like the Gamecube is faster, but it is. IBM's CPU's are faster than Intel's, making the gamecube clock in at 800
Mhz. And about those graphics...the Gamecube processes 12 million polygons per second OF course, Microsoft doesnt say how many it processes, they are only concerned about theie controllers. They have like a billion different types from different companies. Gamecube and PS2 will have broadband adapters and Modems. The PS2 will have a hard drive, an LCD monitor, a keyboard, a mouse, and speakers. Oh, Raptordude, Sony hasnt always dominated. They only entered 3 or 4 years ago. Consoles have been around since the 70's.

theforce
09-16-2001, 09:39 AM
I think Nintendo Gamecube will do good becouse 1) Its targeted toward younger audiences and 2) Nintendo has alot of loyal fans and has always been known for making video games. Nintendo will do good and xbox and ps2 are not a major threat to it.
There will be a war between counsul war between PS2 and Xbox as they both go after older gamers. Im not sure who will win. Alot of people are saying that microsoft has no chance. I would have to disagree. Monopolizing is what microsoft dose best and they have alot of $ to promote xbox.

RagingBull#1
09-16-2001, 11:12 PM
Another thing is that x box and ps2's processors are not all in real time. you can only use a portion of both of those processors for gameplay and the rest for movies that interrupt gameplay. With the gekko all 590 are gameplay. also, the gamecube uses a highly advanced polygon system in which one polygon on gamecube produces the same effect as eight polygons on ps2 or x box. And both the dragon warrior and resident evil series are both exclusively for gamecube.

Cuddy
09-17-2001, 10:21 PM
If I'm not mistaken, PS2 has been out in the market for nearly a year (give or take a few months) and X-box and Gamecube are still in their infancy on the shelves. I think X-box will flop soon after its release. Gamecube will probably add some competition to PS2, but I think until another manufacturer can create a gaming system similar to that of PS2, I think PS2 will be better that the other two mentioned in here.

swOHman
09-18-2001, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by CedarPoint_Mark
If I'm not mistaken, PS2 has been out in the market for nearly a year (give or take a few months) and X-box and Gamecube are still in their infancy on the shelves. I think X-box will flop soon after its release. Gamecube will probably add some competition to PS2, but I think until another manufacturer can create a gaming system similar to that of PS2, I think PS2 will be better that the other two mentioned in here.

What do you mean by similar to the PS2? Both Gamecube and XBox will actually be superior to the PS2 in graphic capability, speed, memory, etc. Nintendo is getting tons of 3rd party support they haven't previously had, and will have a huge game list just like the PS2 has and will have. BTW GCN has already been released in Japan and early reports indicate that loading time hardly exists. With the PS2 I've waiting quite a few minutes for some games at startup. If you're speaking of the idea of putting an entire entertainment system into the console I think Sony hasn't done the best job of it and I'm glad GCN isn't putting a DVD or CD player into the original release (Panasonic will be coming out with one next year with all the extras). Of course XBox will have the extras and we will have to wait and see if they will be of good quality or just average like the PS2's. Of course it all comes down to games and we know all the systems will have a decent amount of them, but it's who has the most quality games that wins out. PS2 has many games, but few are very good. We still have to wait and see on GCN and XBox, so I think this discussion will be better suited to continue after Nov. 18.

Tim
09-18-2001, 10:28 AM
In the screen shots I've seen I've been a lot more impressed with the GameCube and Xbox's graphical abilities as compared to the PS2. As we all know however, graphics alone do not make a game good. This is where I think the Xbox will have a hard time. They have no console experience within Microsoft, so their 1st party games may suffer because of that. Nintendo has proven with the N64 that they can keep a console alive by themselves. The GameCube will be successful if only because of Nintendo, but they are getting a lot of 3rd party support, and I predict that they will take betweek 35 and 40% of the overall market with the PS2 having about 50% and the Xbox between 10 and 15%. If we've learned anything from the past console wars it's that the market can sustain 2 different platforms, but not 3. If after a year or two the Xbox only has 10-15% of the market I think you will see Microsoft drop it like a bad habit.

coaster11
09-29-2001, 12:17 PM
This is could be the very answer that makes me choose what system I am getting:
CAN YOU PLAY DVD's ON GAME CUBE LIKE ON PS2??

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------NITRO IS THE BOMB!!!!!!

RagingBull#1
09-29-2001, 12:22 PM
not initially, nintendo is saying if you want to watch movies buy a dvd player, if you want to play good games buy gamecube: born to play. next year sometime panasonic is coming out with a gamecube that plays dvds.

Dr.Bruce Banner
09-29-2001, 08:46 PM
I really Think the PS2 is gonna be better then The GameCube and X Box.

RagingBull#1
09-30-2001, 03:28 AM
why do you think that

pyro
10-06-2001, 01:42 AM
i'd say ps2 is gonna be around for a while since it came out earlier than the others so it had time for people to get it. since the xbox and gamecube are coming out around the same time i think the one with the best titles at launch will prevail. but i wouldn't be surprised to see one of them do better than the ps2.

coaster9freak
10-13-2001, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by AZ RIDER
GAMECUBE WILL RULE OVER ALL!!!!!!!34

I REALLY hope you're joking. It looks good, but not as good as PS2!!!!!!!!!!!

mojojojoe13
10-15-2001, 10:06 PM
I think that all of your comments are interesting, i'm getting the X-box, i just thought that it had really good games, and the fact that over 100 companies will be making games for it adds to the fact that i like it more. But this is all opinionated, it's going to turn into a war. Soon we'll have people screaming and yelling at each other like: PS2 IS THE BEST BECAUSE I HAVE ONE! NO X-BOX WILL BE THE BEST BECAUSE I'M ORDERING ONE, NO! GAMECUBE WILL BE THE BEST BECAUSE I SAID SO!. But all of you have pretty good arguements, those of you who actually think about what you type instead of yelling at people.In my opinion, i like the xbox, but that's just my opinion.

big_e
10-19-2001, 01:32 PM
X-Box will rule the world!!!!

Tim
10-19-2001, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by big_e
X-Box will rule the world!!!!

And with logic and reasoning like that, how could it possibly not? In the future try to back up your statements with some kind of proof, or at least why you have such an opinion. What you've written is just spam.