PDA

View Full Version : A Wonderful Encounter with Mrs. Koch

Dale Caskey
05-13-2001, 12:17 PM
My family and I had the pleasure to spend a few moments with Mrs. Koch (pronounced Cook) on our Memorial Sunday trip to Holiday World in 1999. She was all over the park with a long handled dust pan and broom. This trip was just prior to the announcment of details regarding the "Legend" and just the concrete footers had been poured. I recognized Mrs. Koch from a coaster program that I had viewed on TV. I told Lisa, (my wife) that the lady sweeping was the owner of the park. She didn't believe me so I had to approach her. Mrs. Koch was very gracious. She said that she liked my Adventure World shirt and reminded us that Discovery was having a coaster special on this evening. I told my sons that Mrs. Koch's father was the first Santa Claus at the park. She had a brief glimmer of sadness in her eyes, then brightened while recalling how she grew up with Santa to my two boys. Mrs. Koch graciously allowed me to photograph her with my family. She presented as being very down to earth, kind, and modest. She seemed especially interested in how our day had been at the park.
<BR>
<BR>This hands on approach by the Koch's is what has made Holiday World such a special place to so many people. Enthusiast love the coasters. Families with children in search of a safe, clean, wholesome environment to spend a day together cherish this place. Holiday World is quite a different experience from any of the cooperate parks that I've been to. The Koch family, with Mrs. Koch as the grand matriarch, are the sole reason that such a place continues to not only exist, but thrive.
<BR>
<BR>My family wishes Mrs. Koch the best in her battle against cancer. I thank her for taking time to put a smile on the faces of my two children.
<BR>
<BR>DAC
<BR>
<BR><BR><BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dale Caskey on 2001-05-13 12:18 ]</font>

rockman89
05-30-2001, 10:35 AM
Too many park owners are mean these days. I think she is the nicest I have heard of and I don't think any others could be nicer than her with her generosity.

Kraken
05-30-2001, 03:43 PM
It's because her goal is to entertain people, not to make loads of cash by entertaining.

arkansas twister
06-26-2001, 01:10 PM
I agree, I like some of the smaller parks without the huge corporate ownership. Hats off to Mrs. Koch.