PDA

View Full Version : New for 2013: Rumor Giga Coaster for Six Flags Magic Mountain

Coasterfan2012
12-15-2011, 04:57 PM
What is true of this Rumor to built the biggest coster in the US for 2013 in Six Flags Magic Mountain?

Rumors of a Giga Coaster

Have you got more Infos??

Leo C
12-16-2011, 12:05 AM
So far there was talk of a giga at Knott's Berry Farm which is miles south across the metropolitan area from SFMM and has an even tighter plot of land.

Chris H
12-16-2011, 12:46 AM
I've heard a rumor that Cedar Fair with Leviathan purchased 2 other B&M Giga Coasters for 2013 and 2014.

Antoine
12-16-2011, 01:16 AM
If they did, I wonder where it would go at. There are only two logical places and that is Kings Island and Carowinds. Kings Island has a huge plot of land to place it at too. They just need to have the mother of all bonfires first! Carowinds just purchased extra land for their park and there was never any official word of what they planned to do with it. I'm not a huge fan of adding a B&M hyper and Giga to a park, but I love coasters too, so bring it on. I think the logical place will be Kings Island though since it is obvious Cedar Fair is making Wonderland and KI twin parks. As far as California parks, Knott's is a very tight spot to fit a Giga into, but SFMM is not even remotely close to being landlocked, so it is an easy fit into that park. However, seeing is believing on all these assumptions.

Daniel Barto
12-16-2011, 08:36 AM
With all that being said, I'd put my money on KI and Carowinds. I've been hearing rumors for months now that SOB will DIE and a B&M giga will rise in it's place. As for Carowinds, it's simply because I want a giga coaster within 4 hours of me.

Rick B
12-16-2011, 08:48 AM
It wouldn't surprise me for one of the places to be Carowinds. They certainly have enough space and CF continues to talk about about their commitment to making Carowinds a travel destination. A giga coaster would be a step in that direction. While it is a great park, there are some things I'd rather see first, though.

sclisso
12-16-2011, 02:44 PM
^agreed! Carowinds needs a launcher soo bad.

Antoine
12-16-2011, 03:07 PM
As long as that launcher isn't built by Intamin....

Leo C
12-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Mack daddy, Mack daddy.

I would have a giga on the West Coast. I guess somehow the coaster would go across the street and circle Independence Hall at Knotts.

Thunderhawk
12-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Well I was planning on doing a West Coast tour in 2013 anyway... it would be really phenomenal if this rumor is true. A giga and X2 would really give them the crown.

Antoine
12-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Not sure how I feel about X2. When I rode her in 2003, I was amazed by it. But when I rode her in 2011, I wasn't too impressed. It is still an interesting coaster, but there is a rough point towards the end of the ride that makes a second trip on the ride unbearable. It put a LOT of pain on your thighs. But regardless, a giga in their park would make for a nice lineup in the park. I mean cause at this point, they are kinda running out of ideas on what type of different coasters can be added. They have just about 1 of everything.

arcarver1986
01-08-2012, 08:40 AM
that's true, the one thing SFMM doesn't have is a Giga coaster. They have Superman, but that's more of a freefall than a coaster. They have plenty of land for it too. I personally think we need one in Fl. orlando is as packed as the mall on black friday though , so unless Disney decides to build one (ha), then it won't happen in Orlando. Not to mention I'm pretty sure there are height restrictions in the state.

Antoine
01-08-2012, 09:04 AM
I don't think they have height restrictions in that state, per se. But instead they may have height restrictions in certain geographical locations of the state. Correct me if I am wrong, but Sheikra is the tallest coaster in the state, but I believe that slingshot ride in Orlando actually reaches a higher point. I know most parks that are close to airports have certain height restrictions, but Orlanda International is quite some distance from the parks. But then again SFOG is a large distance from Hartsfield-Jackson International, but even they have a height restriction. Which I find weird because I have never seen a plane even remotely close to SFOG. But if FL was to get a Giga, I can't think of a park there that would add one. We all can agree that Disney would never do it. It seems un-Busch-like (is that a word) to add it in Tampa and well Universal needs to get creative because they have space limitations.

arcarver1986
01-08-2012, 09:35 AM
yeah Universal seems more into creativity rather than focusing on height. I know that any structure 200 ft or higher must have a red light on it, but other than that I don't know what laws they have in Fl. They do have the 300 ft sky coaster though. Busch Gardens also seems into creativity rather than height, and they seem to be focused on family rides lately. They also tend to copy each other, so I think that if Verboulten (sp?) is a hit then Tampa might take a chance. I hope they do, because I would love to have a coaster with a vertical drop. I think that BGT is going to add a drop tower next though.

Leo C
01-08-2012, 11:30 AM
I think Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has a space issue for rollercoasters if it's keeping the zoo theme on the one side of the park. The former brewery was just a certain size that Gwazi and the back roads by Sheikra take up. Maybe BGT could fit that one last tall coaster they need and it would be definite max out for park space.

I would welcome a new giga anywhere in SoCal. SFMM has the older looking rides like Superman Escape from Krypton and Goliath. Tatsu and X2 kept those looks of looking like cutting edge rides. A pure modern B&M hyper-giga, Intamin giga launcher would bring the park to cutting edge modern. Mack is still emerging on the bigger rides and I'd like to see them come in somewhere. Gerstlauer i think still does small coasters that now do very fluid elements.

arcarver1986
01-08-2012, 12:55 PM
I agree, they do need something state of the art. I've never been there so I haven't ridden x2, but it seems like it would be more for the hardcore thrill seeker. That's great for people like us but bad for normal people. BG has the right idea in buidling rides that appeal to both crowds. Gertlauer is great for those types. maurer shone makes awesome rides too. I think SFMM needs a sky loop. BGT would benefit from that too.

Leo C
01-08-2012, 01:24 PM
One new family coaster per typical American amusement park is fine with me. A Dark Knight mouse, a Verbolten. I just don't want it to be a consecutive new addition by park. SFMM got the recycled Vekoma rollerskater. I was expecting a mouse. Maybe if it came in a package as two coasters I would accept a mouse and a thrill coaster. That SFMM collection is so wide and diverse. I can't say it's the best. I can't say Cedar Point has the best either.

arcarver1986
01-08-2012, 04:43 PM
I haven't been to cedar point either (makes me very sad) but I know a lot about it, and they do need more variety. I wish they had more space. It wasn't the best idea to make the park with the most coasters on an island with extemely limited land. I suppose it wasn't planned that way. I can say that they have made good use of what land they do have.

Antoine
01-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Keeping in mind how old Cedar Point is, I'm sure the original owners never envisioned it to be as popular as it is today. Most amusement parks kinda start out that way too. The main problem with the land on Cedar Point is they do not have room to expand, unlike many other amusement parks out there. Sure they have been very creative over the years, but other amusement parks can usually buy more surrounding land to increase their size. CP does not have that luxory. But regardless, I think they have done well with what they have and it is still a huge plot of land too.

Rick B
01-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Actually Cedar Point has quite a bit of land for expansion. They just need to think outside the box a bit. A lot of their parking could be expanded to more attractions, and they could purchase land on the mainland. They could leave some land on the peninsula for premier parking and have the mainland parking as regular parking with free shuttles. That could easily increase the park size by 25% or more.

CP Maverick
01-11-2012, 12:43 AM
With all that being said, I'd put my money on KI and Carowinds. I've been hearing rumors for months now that SOB will DIE and a B&M giga will rise in it's place. As for Carowinds, it's simply because I want a giga coaster within 4 hours of me.

I've been wanting KI to put in a steel "Beast" that stays fast and low for a good portion of the ride. Could you imagine starting at 300ft up then spending a good portion from 5ft-50ft above the ground going through trees and tunnels at 80-90mph'?

knottsnetwork
02-05-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm hoping Knott's gets one of those gigs.... not just because it's one of my home parks but they really need a new coaster! But space is definitely a problem! I think they could work it though.

Daniel Barto
02-05-2012, 12:19 PM
^Firstly, WELCOME!
Secondly, given it's your home park, do you think they have enough space where they are clearing land?

knottsnetwork
02-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Thanks!
First off, it looks pretty tight. I need to go down and take another look. IMO, all they need is space to make a station. So the areas their clearing could work. But I need to get down there to check it out!

Antoine
02-05-2012, 03:47 PM
I don't know, they really would need to get creative with a coaster there. The park is pretty landlocked. I mean even Ghostrider goes outside the main area of the park. They may have to do like Europa Park did with Silver Star and have a coaster ride along the parking lot while at the same time giving up minimal parking spaces.

knottsnetwork
02-05-2012, 04:26 PM
I don't know, they really would need to get creative with a coaster there. The park is pretty landlocked. I mean even Ghostrider goes outside the main area of the park. They may have to do like Europa Park did with Silver Star and have a coaster ride along the parking lot while at the same time giving up minimal parking spaces.

Definitely agree with you. It would basically be like Tatsu @SFMM. It would go through the whole park. It would also hover over everything. There's no where fit could really go flat. It is sad that the park is so friggin land-locked and has limits. I think if they could pull it off though, it would be freakin awesome cuz the coaster would probably wind around the whole park!
SInce the area cleared has been by GhostRider, I think it could kind of be like the Colossus-Goliath relationship at SFMM

As for the SFMM giga, I think it's a possibility.... but ideally it will be something like Maverick. SFMM only launch coaster is S:EFK which can barely be considered a coaster. I think a launch coaster is needed. Also, SFMM has too many looping rides; it get's repetitive. Banked hills and sharp turns at high speeds is an awesome change.

camscram
02-08-2012, 05:33 PM
I don't think they have height restrictions in that state, per se. But instead they may have height restrictions in certain geographical locations of the state. Correct me if I am wrong, but Sheikra is the tallest coaster in the state, but I believe that slingshot ride in Orlando actually reaches a higher point. I know most parks that are close to airports have certain height restrictions, but Orlanda International is quite some distance from the parks. But then again SFOG is a large distance from Hartsfield-Jackson International, but even they have a height restriction. Which I find weird because I have never seen a plane even remotely close to SFOG. But if FL was to get a Giga, I can't think of a park there that would add one. We all can agree that Disney would never do it. It seems un-Busch-like (is that a word) to add it in Tampa and well Universal needs to get creative because they have space limitations.
Actually, SFOG is located near a smaller non-public airport. It's only about an exit down from it, so that's why it has the height restriction...

Daniel Barto
02-08-2012, 05:58 PM
^Moreover the only reason the lift on Goliath is so steep is because of said airport

knottsnetwork
02-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Monorail Station Demo
Log Jammer Demo

I WOULD LIKE TO REMIND ALL OF YOU THESE ARE NOT MINE BUT FROM http://www.thecoaterguy.com!!!

knottsnetwork
02-12-2012, 11:22 PM
There's another update on the same website. Plus they started Lex construction.

Daniel Barto
02-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Well. That's not to terribly much land cleared. What do you think?

Intimidator 305
02-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Log Jammer sat on 6 acres of land. Intimidator 305 sits on 5 acres of land. Anything is possible.

Leo C
02-13-2012, 01:58 AM
I like the idea of a terrain launcher.

Supposedly the old metro cars were sold to Hershey.

Giga Drop
03-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Six Flags Magic Mountain spills plans for record setting coaster

Six Flags (http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/themeparks/la-trb-six-flags-magic-mountain-full-throttle-03201207,0,2643870.story?track=rss#) Magic Mountain is expected to add a terrain-hugging launched roller coaster in 2013 featuring the world's tallest loop, according to an employee who wasn't authorized to speak on behalf of the amusement park.

A Magic Mountain mechanic inadvertently revealed closely guarded facts about the record-setting attraction while casually talking with a group of coaster enthusiasts during the recent West Coast Bash event at the Valencia amusement park. Details of the conversation quickly appeared on theTheme Park Review (http://www.***************.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26782&start=22960) website and rapidly spread through the online coaster community.

The new multi-launch coaster will be called Full Throttle, according to the official Six Flags (https://www.facebook.com/sixflags) Facebook page.

Full Throttle's record-setting vertical loop is expected to top the Superman (http://www.latimes.com/topic/entertainment/movies/superman-%28fictional-character%29-PEFCC000007.topic): Krypton coaster (http://rcdb.com/605.htm) at Six Flags Fiesta Texas, which holds the current title of world's tallest loop at 145 feet. Magic Mountain's own Viper (http://rcdb.com/25.htm), with a 144-foot-tall loop, is a close second, according to Roller Coaster Database.

Magic Mountain (http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/themeparks/six-flags-magic-mountain/) recently shuttered the 1971 Log Jammer (http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/themeparks/la-trb-six-flags-magic-mountain-full-throttle-03201207,0,2643870.story?track=rss#)water flume to make way for the 2013 coaster. The wooded six-acre parcel in the center of the park includes a sizable man-made lake that may play a role in the new attraction. Full Throttle may also make use of the old monorail tunnel that cuts through the hillside.

Magic Mountain officials declined to comment on the specifics of the mechanic's revelations, saying only that the park does not respond to rumors or speculation. An official announcement on the new 2013 attraction will be made in late summer.

Full Throttle would become Magic Mountain's 18th coaster, moving the California park ahead of Ohio's Cedar Point for the title of "Roller Coaster Capital of the World."

Katie
03-07-2012, 11:54 AM
The L.A. Times did a story about a rumor? You can take a mechanics word at a park as much as a Dippin Dots guy. as far as the site it was leaked too....well lemme just say they aren't always right, but they shouldn't be spreading rumors for something that hasn't been confirmed. The link in the article to their facebook page has no mention of the name either.

Idk....just seems like a publicity stunt after an event that was had that not many people were thrilled about. So I heard...

Leo C
03-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Wait a minute, a launch and it involves a loop? Antoine rode Blue Fire in Germany, a launched Mack that goes into a big loop and looks like a great competitor to Maverick. I'm excited about Mack expanding their product line in the US, a chance to get a much bigger launching model out there than Manta at Seaworld San Diego. Months ago when they were demolishing the flume and someone mentioned the possibility of a launched terrain, I had hoped for another Mack model to emerge. Crossing my fingers.

I don't think launched terrain would involve being in the giga category.

Giga Drop
03-07-2012, 03:01 PM
I had a Idea... its built a Giga Launched Record Intamin 12 Inversion Coaster with a Giga over 300ft drop, over 8000ft lenght, the highest loop, or the highest coaster in the world

Leo C
03-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Kingda Ka still holds the record for the tallest rollercoaster in the world. In the LA market Screaming California at Disney's California Adventure is a pretty long Intamin steel coaster. Length is a stat to go for in locally in that market.

knottsnetwork
03-07-2012, 10:34 PM
This is bull**** from what I've seen
All the info from a worker and ***, not to mention they mention an announcement on FB that I can't even find?
No.
A coaster COULD go there.
But this was really sudden and seems like a Screamscape post in the LA Times

Screamweaver
03-07-2012, 11:01 PM
The FB post was pulled before many people saw it. I'm guessing someone attempted to spill the beans before the park was ready.

Leo C
03-07-2012, 11:08 PM
I saw it as a moment of a blog being a blog and not the full blown paper on that one. Yeah, I never saw the fb post this afternoon as the post had to already be pulled.

First I was disappointed about a loop and launched going together but when I thought it could be a Mack I became excited. I hope it's not another Intamin doing an odd element of a turnaround like on Cheetah Hunt. Now I hear it could be a Premier. Not a bad choice. I liked the roll on Skyrocket.

Antoine
03-07-2012, 11:44 PM
If this rumor is true and it is a launched coaster, I am all for it being a Mack. Bluefire Megacoaster is an amazing ride and surprisingly not once have I stood in line for it has it ever broken down. Ahem, don''t think Intamin can say that about any of their launched coasters. Also, LOVE the restraints on the ride! I think Bluefire is very smooth, but even if it wasn't the restraints make it very comfortable to execute even the wildest of manuevers. As far as record breaking, if you look back, most record breaking coasters have nothing to brag about. Pretty much every last one has had their own set of issues. Lets take a look:

TTD and KK: (world's tallest and fastest during their debut) reliability issues and the cable has always been a problem
Steel Dragon 2000: (world's tallest and longest during its' debut) SBNO for two years after a wheel broke off
Son of Beast: (worlds tallest and only looping wooden coaster) needs no explanation
Colossus: (worlds first 10 inversion coaster) 368 coasters ridden and this ride ranks dead last in my book!

So I never get too excited about a record breaker. I'll take a 150 foot reliable coaster over a 318 foot coaster that has trouble holding onto its' wheels anyday.

Leo C
03-07-2012, 11:56 PM
I lost track of how many years ago I thought about the monorail tunnel being reused for a coaster if they had just removed the monorail. Finally it's gone. If it's Premier the smaller train we've seen on Skyrocket could probably fit in there.

knottsnetwork
03-08-2012, 09:18 PM
If this rumor is true and it is a launched coaster, I am all for it being a Mack. Bluefire Megacoaster is an amazing ride and surprisingly not once have I stood in line for it has it ever broken down. Ahem, don''t think Intamin can say that about any of their launched coasters. Also, LOVE the restraints on the ride! I think Bluefire is very smooth, but even if it wasn't the restraints make it very comfortable to execute even the wildest of manuevers. As far as record breaking, if you look back, most record breaking coasters have nothing to brag about. Pretty much every last one has had their own set of issues. Lets take a look:

TTD and KK: (world's tallest and fastest during their debut) reliability issues and the cable has always been a problem
Steel Dragon 2000: (world's tallest and longest during its' debut) SBNO for two years after a wheel broke off
Son of Beast: (worlds tallest and only looping wooden coaster) needs no explanation
Colossus: (worlds first 10 inversion coaster) 368 coasters ridden and this ride ranks dead last in my book!

So I never get too excited about a record breaker. I'll take a 150 foot reliable coaster over a 318 foot coaster that has trouble holding onto its' wheels anyday.

I definitely agree, I want a fun coaster! I would even rather have high speeds and over banked turns instead of loops personally. Basically as long as it goes fast like Goliath :)

Leo C
03-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Yamaha Racing Coaster @ Trans Studio Bandung - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3NWJwdr4DY&feature=related)
Yamaha Racing Coaster in Indonesia, the mini Mr. Freeze.
That doesn't look as much an inverted top hat as it does the first turn on the Mack Blue Fire. I hope if SFMM goes with Premier they use higher capacity trains.

StanHW
03-20-2012, 10:51 AM
http://www.thrillnetwork.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Antoine http://www.thrillnetwork.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.thrillnetwork.com/construction-rumors-27/91937-new-2013-rumor-giga-coaster-six-flags-magic-mountain-2.html#post861906)

I love colossus at thorpe park its such a great ride! the quad barral role at the end is so fun!!!

but as far as SFMM 2013 i would still prefer a giga, one with a very steep first hill. for me SFMM need a ride like millenium force to compete with Cedar Point. even a Mack would'nt get me really hyped. SFMM need to up their game with a top 5 in the world coaster! Something to stand with X2 and turn SFMM into the undisputed king of theme parks, a Mack in my eyes would'nt do that

Antoine
03-20-2012, 11:19 AM
I don't know, we all have our own different types of likes and dislikes. I think Colossus is a horrible coaster for a number of reasons. One it is extremely rough all throughout the ride and the OTSR does not help it either. The ride is very short, yet puts in 10 inversions. The problem with that is before you can recover from one inversion, you are entering another. There is zero transition. Not only that but usually a straight piece of track is very smooth. Yet when you hit one inversion after another, there is no straight track so the inversion is done roughly and then you enter yet another rough inversion. You are banging your head up left and right. For less than 3,000 feet, it was painful just to get through 100 of those feet. A record breaker does not always translate into a great ride. Not a single record breaking coaster out there is in my top 20 of coasters. I think Magic Mountain has a very good collection of rides and does not need a record breaker to 'put it on the map'. It is already there. X2 is a good ride, but definitely not the best ride in the park. It has a number of rough points too. I give Goliath and Tatsu a higher nod than X2. A Mack coaster would certainly help out their collection of coasters. I'm not talking about one of their wild mouse rides, but their more recent ride like bluefire megacoaster. It is not the biggest, fastest, or longest, but it is a very good ride. Record breaking rides is overrated and I will always prefer quality over record breaking.

StanHW
03-22-2012, 06:01 PM
@Antoine yeah its all a matter of opinion! one man's worst ride could be the next man's Favourite! although, I would like a large hyper/giga coaster like millennium force, intimidator 305 or leviathan! for me Goliath doesn't quite do it for me. if SFMM got a giga I would definitely visit again, although at the moment I would rather go to Cedar Point again which I will go to this summer!
I was thinking a dive machine would be a great edition to magic mountain, something new, although they wont get one