Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guest what I just rode at Walt Disney World...

Yep, thats right! I just rode the Magic Carpets of Aladdin. They had a short time <less than 1 hr period> where CM's could ride so of course I ran over and did it! It was ALOT of fun, the carpets are very nice and colorful. The 2 seats in the front control the up and down motion just like dumbo and in the back 2 seats there is a special scarab icon that when you rock it back and forth it makes the carpet roll forwards and backwards slightly, kinda like if you were on a wave. With both motions going at once it is tough to feel the rocking one but it is very cool none the less. There are 2 spitting camels in the ride, one over the entrance icon that spits on those folks coming into line and also one on the side by frontierland that spits but not really hard enough to get the folks in the vehicles wet <atleast not yet!>. Below the carpets is a pool of water in the ground which is being fed by more water spitting camel fountains at the base. The ride is VERY beautiful and very well detailed.. It is sure to be a hit. Plus this has a higher capacity than dumbo so lines should be shorter. The one downside I did see, it has a very long que.. But it is not covered! The opening of the ride has been delayed from the 21st until the 23 as of now.

I can picture myself riding that:"Boring, I'm going downtown to IOA" Those rides just aren't very fun.
    <BR>

Hmm, water spitting on guests in a turning up and down tyre attraction. Gee, sounds a heckuva lot like a certain ride at IOA.
    <BR>
    <BR>One Fish, Two Fish, anyone?

Yea, Copycats.

o plese, some people here are being real hippocrits. u critizise disney for copying one small effect, while IOA stole a whole island. and anyway, camel's spit, camels were in the movie, so its not really copying, it could just be considence (not likey
    "remember, the enemy's gate is down"
    <BR>
    <BR>98 precent of you have no clue what i'm talking about

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BR>On 2001-05-19 13:03, coaster man098 wrote:
    <BR>o plese, some people here are being real hippocrits. u critizise disney for copying one small effect, while IOA stole a whole island. and anyway, camel's spit, camels were in the movie, so its not really copying, it could just be considence (not likey
    <BR>
    <BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
    <BR>
    <BR>Uh, what island would that be, exactly?
    <BR>
    <BR>Let's review: Seuss Landing was authorized by the Seuss (Geisel) estate, and supervised by Dr. Seuss' widow.
    <BR>
    <BR>Jurassic Park was a Universal film.
    <BR>
    <BR>Toon Lagoon is based on cartoon and comic strip characters owned by Universal.
    <BR>
    <BR>Marvel Super Hero Island is fully licensed to Universal by Marvel Comics, itself now a division of Toy Biz, which manufactures many of the toys sold in the shops there.
    <BR>
    <BR>The Lost Continent is heavily based on Greek myth, Arabian literature, and medieval fantasy stories, all of which are squarely in the public domain.
    <BR>
    <BR>Tell me which of these they "stole."

Some people think IOA ripped off Dueling Dragons, just because Disney was going to have a dragon themed roller coaster at Animal Kingdom(which was not ever announced, but was just a rumor) But do you think Disney would install anything nearly as intense as Dueling Dragons? Admit it Disney fans, Disney copys. I could see if this ride came out when the movie did, or 5 years after the movie, but it showed up after IOA opened.
    <BR>
    <BR>_________________
    <BR>My other car is a B&M Floorless.
    <BR>
    <BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kraken on 2001-05-19 18:46 ]</font><BR><BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kraken on 2001-05-19 18:47 ]</font>

Um, Disney invented themed lands, so you could consider that copying. Second, the first tubular steel coaster was at Disney (Matterhorn) so that's also copying. The idea for Spiderman can be traced back to EMV vehicles used for Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye and CTX (more copying). I could go on, but I won't, so maybe you should stop talking now.

Heartline Poster
    Hey DisneyFan, try this board, you'll get a better reception over there.
    <BR>
    <BR><!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href="http://64.225.125.24/forums/index.php?s=21294d637f14608654a87ba2e5ffc2de" target="_blank">http://64.225.125.24/forums/index.php?s=21294d637f14608654a87ba2e5ffc2de</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end -->
    <BR>
    <BR>The reason people (including me) are bashing Disney is because we want tall, fast, long, roller coasters. Yes, they came up with some innovative stuff. But other parks have caught up and Disney hasn't done anything for the thrill riders here in Orlando lately. They need some more thrill rides at MGM. Each park only has a couple big rides, they're spread out. Everyone is going to IOA instead, you get all the rides in one park.
    <BR>
    <BR>Whatever, we're just frustrated. Go over to that board and your post will be appreciated.

hey disneysweans, are you telling me that every steel coaster ever built is a copy off the Matterhorn? The spiderman vehichles are so much differnt than the EMV's. I hate all these Disney people bashing spidey cuz they're jealous. You know Mr. Eisner is sobbing right know cuz people have found an alternitive to Disney. And to think this is only the begginng! Soon Mark Woodbury and his crew will complete plans for another park, probably in California to blow DCA out of the water.(Come on, u know DCA sucks, half their rides are recycled)
    "Dee-dee-deeeeeeeee-dede-deeeeeeee-dedede-dee"
    <BR>Slash, November Rain
    <BR>IOA RULES!
    <BR>"Feel the Rhythm in your hands!"
    <BR>Chris Cornell, Spoon Man

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BR>On 2001-05-18 19:42, ChrisFL wrote:
    <BR>Hmm, water spitting on guests in a turning up and down tyre attraction. Gee, sounds a heckuva lot like a certain ride at IOA.
    <BR>
    <BR>One Fish, Two Fish, anyone?
    <BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
    <BR>
    <BR>one fish one fish, up up up, two fish two fish, down down down...
    i came all the way to CP and rode THAT MFer.
    <BR>
    <BR>everyone IM me on AOL i need to talk to someone about coasters. All of my friends hate 'em.

"are you telling me that every steel coaster ever built is a copy off the Matterhorn? The spiderman vehichles are so much differnt than the EMV's"
    <BR>
    <BR>NO. I NEVER said that every steel coaster is a copy of the Matterhorn. What I said is that Matterhorn was the FIRST tubular steel roller coaster. Also, I never said that the spiderman vehicles were EXACTLY the same as EMVs. What i DID say was that they can be traced back to and are quite similar to EMVs.
    <BR>
    <BR>Thirdly, why would I be jealous of Spiderman? I will admit that it is one hell of a ride, but there are much better rides on earth.

You guys shouldn't be bashing disney the have the most popular parks in the world and are for the entire family not just the thrillseekers, but have rides for them too.

<BR>On 2001-05-20 19:07, disneysweans wrote:
    <BR>Thirdly, why would I be jealous of Spiderman? I will admit that it is one hell of a ride, but there are much better rides on earth.
    <BR>
    <BR>Well, they ain't at any Disney park!
    <BR>
    <BR>And EMV's can be traced back to simulator rides.

Let me share my views on a number of issues brought up in this thread. First of all, it is wrong to bash Disney for not installing any TRUE roller coasters. If Disney were to start installing inverted coasters left and right, they would have NO interest in building any more of the dark rides that BRING THE PEOPLE IN THE GATES. It would be the McDonaldisation of Walt Disney World. I love Coasters as much as the next guy, but quite frankly, they don't belong in WDW unless they are themed at least adequately well (READ- indoors if pylons are showing, ala RnRC). We know how Eisner is, and by giving him the idea that going even MORE CHEAPER might satisfy even a MINUTELY SMALL portion of Disney's target audience, he will take that idea and never look back. Anyway, Spiderman is a GREAT ride, and I don't think that it can be compared to an EMV style ride. Using that logic, every dark ride in Disney is a clone of Coney Island. Nothing is a "clone" of anything unless it is essentially the same ride system with minimal theming changes. No matter what I hear, Aladdin is the same as Dumbo which is the same of whatever that is in DAK. No matter what the vehicles decide to spit at me, I still have no interest in waiting upwards of an hour waiting in line for a 2 minute ride. Anyway, I realize that some people have no interest for theming on coasters, but I on the other hand seem to think that the majority of those people would not MIND the addition of theming, but there will be a lot more customers turned on by the idea of theming than would be by the look of JUST a plain 230 foot pylons and beams highway to the sky.

<BR>On 2001-05-19 17:26, Flutie385 wrote:
    <BR>City Walk?!?!
    <BR>
    <BR>CityWalk isn't an island. In fact, it's not even in any of the theme parks. If you're going to say it's a copy of Downtown Disney, I say it isn't for the simple reason that DD is just a huge shopping mall with a nominally Disneyesque theme.
    <BR>
    <BR>I mean, come on--do you really think Disney can literally claim ownership of giant shopping malls? Mall of America would be able to claim that first, anyway.
    <BR>
    <BR>And as far as Disney "inventing" themed areas--this isn't exactly a "light bulb" type invention that can be patented. It can be copyrighted and trademarked, of course--but that just means that Disney's particular <i>executions</i> of the concept are protected.
    <BR>
    <BR>Themed areas as a concept are much closer to the idea of the wheel than the light bulb--and even if patent offices had existed when the wheel was first made, no patent would likely have been issued. Wheels, like themed areas, are too elemental a concept.
    <BR>
    <BR>Oh, and besides, considering the entire <b>town</b> of Dodge City themed itself as a tourist attraction sometime before Disneyland was even announced, I'd say Disney wasn't the first one to come up with the idea.
    <BR>
    <BR>Now, as I recall, this topic was actually about the "Aladdin" ride. SO... how was it, Disneyfan?

Golly, and I was just wondering what the Magic Carpets of Alladin were like, why did this topic denegrate into a Disney vs. IOA vs. thrill riders debate?????????????
    <BR>
    <BR>Thank you Disneyfan1313 for leting us know how the ride is. If this site is only for those interested in thrill rides then let the moderators and webmasters say so. If that's what they want (and face it, they are the ones paying for the site) then let us know. I will be the first to evacuate and never check it out again. If they want people to give their opinions about any new rides, no matter how lame others may view them, then shut the hell up about Spiderman and one fish two fish and who thought of what ride first! We are talking about Aladdin here!

<BR> If this site is only for those interested in thrill rides then let the moderators and webmasters say so.
    <BR>
    <BR>Well, this IS Thrillride.com, and if you want to discuss flat rides, there IS a flat rides message board.

Then shouldn't the moderators have moved this topic to the appropriate board ages ago?

"NO. I NEVER said that every steel coaster is a copy of the Matterhorn. What I said is that Matterhorn was the FIRST tubular steel roller coaster"
    <BR>
    <BR>"Second, the first tubular steel coaster was at Disney (Matterhorn) so that's also copying.
    <BR>
    <BR>You actually did say that, or maybe you mean it was just the coasters at IOA that are copying cuz u dont like IOA. I'm not mad though becuase Disney will never get a B&M cuz not only do they not want thrill rides, but B&M will never work with them cuz imagineers want control of everything.
    <BR>Slash, November Rain
    <BR>IOA RULES!

Copying in a sense moron! Really every coaster on earth could be considered a "copy". (in case you were wondering, I was being facetious with that remark) Why do you think I don't like IOA?????<BR><BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: disneysweans on 2001-05-21 16:57 ]</font>

Okay I guess you meant that IOA "copied" everything else you said "in a sense" MORON!
    <BR>I don't think you like IOA cuz you were bashing it so much with all the"they copied Disney, in a sense" MORON!
    <BR>Slash, November Rain
    <BR>IOA RULES!

Corkscrew Poster
    Please don't bash other users. We would like to have each user express their own beliefs on this forum. B&MAaron this message is addressed toward you.
    <BR>
    <BR>Lets try to respect each other with their posts.
    <BR>
    <BR>_________________
    <BR>Robert Walker
    <BR>
    <BR>ThrillRide! Forum Moderator<BR><BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Robert Walker on 2001-05-22 19:12 ]</font>

Sorry about that i got a bit out of hand, but he did start that moron stuff and really turned this into an argument.
    <BR>Slash, November Rain
    <BR>IOA RULES!

Actually, Kraken started the argument by saying that Disney is stupid, I told him it isn't, and then you told me it is, etc.

Grow up people...please. I love Disney, and I think that people on this board should have a lil bit of maturity in them, and not start a fight with people they dont even know just because they like something different.
    *Evil*Princess*
    Favorites: Amusement Park: WDW Resort (so shoot me I'm a Disney Nut at heart) | Wooden Roller Coaster: Coney Island Cyclone and Comet @ Great Escape | Steel Roller Coaster: Nitro and Medusa East, oh and Dueling Dragons...B&Ms baby!

Inverted Poster
    Disney isn't copying IOA nearly as much as they are responding to a need. Dumbo at the Magic Kingdom is insanely popular, and has long lines all day. Now there's a few ways you can take care of this. 1: build a huge dumbo ride that triples ride capacity.
    <BR>2: tear out dumbo, and make everyone forget about it (not gonna happen)
    <BR>3: build numerous Dumbo like attractions with equally good themes like the Astro Orbitor, Aladdin, and the Dino ride thingy going in at Animal Kingdom.
    <BR>And wouldn't Universal be copying Disney by using the great theming? Disney eas the first to use such theming in Disneyland, which spurred on Universal. Universal has copyed alot of other attractions off of Disney as well. Terminator 2 3D came after Honey I Shrunk The Audience. Dudley Do Right's Ripsaw Falls came after Splash Mountain. Universal Studios Florida came After The Disney-MGM Studios. Who's the bigger copycat now?!?!?!?!?

Inverted Poster
    Oops, I posted that twice.<BR><BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Swimming King on 2001-05-23 19:10 ]</font>

Hmmm.
    <BR>
    <BR>This thread really has left the track (pun most sincerely intended).
    <BR>
    <BR>I can only speak for myself here, but I think the reason I was ridiculing Aladdin not because it's derivative (I mean, ANY ride is based on previous ideas and technology; it's how the ride is implemented that makes a difference), but because Disney executives who talked with the press seemed to ignore the fact that Universal already had built a similar concept into the "One Fish, Two Fish" ride at Islands of Adventure. If I at any time accused Disney of ripping anything off, or if I seemed to, I apologize; that was not my intention.
    <BR>
    <BR>However, I'm a little shocked at people who a) feel the need to give Disney credit where none is due (Disney didn't invent the theme park any more than Edison invented the light bulb; both of them simply came up with an implementation of an existing concept that worked very, very well); and b) call everyone else copycats.
    <BR>
    <BR>I feel very strongly that calling Universal (or anyone else) copycats because they build theme parks would be like calling a new car company a copycat of GM just because said new company also builds trucks.
    <BR>
    <BR>Again, this is just my opinion. Say what you will.
    <BR>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast