Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lagoon drainage

Lagoon drainage

i didn't know cedarpoint drained the lagoon during the off season. but these pictures show it you learn something new everyday
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cp00idoff2.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	2160  
    Go Reds!!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Steel Roller Coaster: Dragster/ MF

and

Name:	cp00idoff3.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	2161  
    Go Reds!!!!!

wow, i never realized how shallow it was, i always wondered if they drained it because i thought the ice would damage ride supports

Corkscrew Poster AllSmilesChica's Avatar
    That's cool. I never knew how shallow the water was, it looks like theirs never even water there.
    "Nature gives you the face you have at twenty; it is up to you to merit the face you have at fifty." - Coco Chanel
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point! | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force & Wicked Twister

Corkscrew Poster
    Didnt know that...looks kinda funny, but is kinda cool/interestin at the same time.
    Dave Matthews Band:
    6/24/01, 7/16/02, 7/17/02, 7/18/02, 7/20/04, 7/21/04
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Comet (Hersheypark) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Suspended Poster
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by AllSmilesChica [/i]
    [B]That's cool. I never knew how shallow the water was.[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here
    How to keep an idiot busy:
    See MountainMan's Sig

USF 2004!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Dania Beach Hurricane | Steel Roller Coaster: Incredible Hulk

Yeah, its to prevent the water from freezing and damaging the ride supports. Most parks that close for winter drain their water rides and lakes. Cedar Point drains lake eerie! no j/k. I hope Cedar Point leaves their web cams up all year round, I'd love to see the park in winter, especially with snow covering everything.
    ~ RAPTOR
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast, Mean Streak, Viper, Thunderbolt | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200, Millennium Force, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), Montu, Expedition Everest, Raptor

I never knew they did that. Know that I think about it it makes sense. I wonder if they have to get specialpermits from the gov, i know they do for regular lagoons and wetlands. It would be cool to see webcams over the winter like raptor said.

I cannot beleive that it is that shallow. Does anyone know if they drain the lagoons at SFGAM by V2?
    The College of William and Mary Class of 2009
    Delta Chi - ΔΧ
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Disney World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Viper | Steel Roller Coaster: Raging Bull

Divinity
    Sure thing the lagoons are drained. And boy, are they a b*tch to clean up in the spring! No joke, I've been there for that sort of clean up early in the season. And you think it stinks when there is water in it...

Snake River Falls is also drained at the end of the season, and the water is let out of Thunder Canyon at the end of every day (no joke!), for those of you that are interested in Cedar Point's water usage...

Incidentally, the catfish are still there, even when the lagoon is drained -- they burrow into the mud and hibernate. Odd!
    Walk Beyond...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, Sandusky, OH | Wooden Roller Coaster: Blue Streak (Cedar Point, OH) | Steel Roller Coaster: Kraken (Sea World, FL)

I fell sorry for anyone that has to clean that mess. i wouldent want to do it. Thats pretty cool that the catfish survive. I was wondering what happened to them.

Strata Poster
    what a waste of water.
    Its murda...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Epcot | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Coaster, Playland | Steel Roller Coaster: The Hulk

Melissa, the catfish hibernate in the ground like that? I thought they would just die off.

Corkscrew Poster
    Haha A mod sweared, I liked that! It made my day, I think people put mods so High up and think they are perfect, but they are just us but mods. Yeah, that made sense, anyways. I too thought it was deeper, but I was wrong.
    No drama (no more drama in my life)
    I don't ever wanna hurt again
    Wanna speak my mind, wanna speak my mind. - Mary J. Blige
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: American Eagle | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

i was wondering if they drained the whole lafoon or just part of it because i know it is deep over by where the paddlewheel is and swan boats are. I doubt if they drain the whole thing
    Go Reds!!!!!

Yes, I heard that when they hibernate they don't even need water. Weird fish.
    The College of William and Mary Class of 2009
    Delta Chi - ΔΧ
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Disney World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Viper | Steel Roller Coaster: Raging Bull

Divinity
    Bort -- mods are people too! ;)

Natelox -- it's not a waste of water, it's just pumped into Lake Erie and the access points are blocked off for the winter. No harm done.

CPFan -- yes, the catfish hibernate. I never knew it either! But boy, I can't imagine the stink if they did die off. I know the sign by the lagoons near the Antique Cars describes the catfish and how they burrow and hibernate, but for the life of me I can't find the scan of it I remember seeing. If I find it, I'll let you know!

The lagoons don't have to be that deep to accommodate the paddleboats. If you take a close look at them (as much as you can), you'll see that they're more flat-bottomed, which means they rest higher in the water and it doesn't need to be as deep as you'd think.
    Walk Beyond...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, Sandusky, OH | Wooden Roller Coaster: Blue Streak (Cedar Point, OH) | Steel Roller Coaster: Kraken (Sea World, FL)

I love those pics, I'd love too see pics of other parks that drain there lagoons.

P.S. Does anyone have pics of other drained lagoons.
    13 Bravo Company Field Artillery Unit. An Army of One.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Lightning Racer | Steel Roller Coaster: Hypersonic XLC

i don't have any of the lagoon but here's ones of matterhorn and wave swinger it is amazing how different they look without their coverings

Name:	cp00waveswingeroff.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	2175  
    Go Reds!!!!!

and matterhorn

Name:	cp00matterhornoff.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	2176  
    Go Reds!!!!!

Divinity
    When I first saw those off-season pictures (a few months back), I was totally stunned by how different the rides look. I mean, a roller coaster doesn't necessarily look too different -- the track is still there, even if the trains are removed. I remember cleaning up the Gemini before the season began -- scrubbing the queues, cleaning trains, deckbrushing the platform, waxing the trains and so forth -- but it was nothing compared to how weird some of these smaller rides get. But so much the better, because the more that can be dismantled and stored away for the off-season, the better (and cleaner!) condition it will be in for next year.
    Walk Beyond...

The ride pics look so errie but neat in winter. I remember one of MF in winter with only the incline on the lift hill. What a site!

Strata Poster
    they probably take that stuff off cause the wait of the snow is too much for it. and bort, a mod swore, not swearded.
    Its murda...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Epcot | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Coaster, Playland | Steel Roller Coaster: The Hulk

the pictures look like ones form like an old defunct park not from one of the biggest parks. i think they should release of season pictures of all the rides
    Go Reds!!!!!

That really suprises me. Also I never thought the water would be anywhere near that shallow even though it makes sense for safety purposes.

Inverted Poster
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Natelox [/i]
    [B]what a waste of water. [/B][/QUOTE]

I really dont think it is a waste of water. Most of it that is drained would just stand there, allowing for insects to cultivate. Most likely, they have reason for doing it. Just as long as it doesn't become contaminated and go into the lake. Lake Erie is bad enough as it is. Hey Melissa! Do you know if CP does anything for the envrionment?
    Intelligence is a God given gift. Know how to use it.

Remember: Amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Son Of Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

I didn't know it was snowing in Ohio. Must be an old pic. Anyway, that is cool looking. I'm guessing that the lagoon is man-made? Some kind of added excitement for Iron Dragon? That's pretty cool about the catfish, too.
    SFA SOURCE . . .
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Wild One | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

I think it's so the supports for Mantis, and Iron Dragon and such don't freeze and break.
    "You can run but you can't glide" - Homer J. Simpson
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Yankee Cannonball | Steel Roller Coaster: Apollo's Chariot

Divinity
    No, the lagoons aren't artificial (man made), they've been a part of the peninsula since before Cedar Point began, more than 125 years ago. First they were used for canoeing and stuff like that, and today, of course, to add excitement to the coasters and as a home for the Paddleboat Cruise.

As for does Cedar Point do anything for the environment, the answer is yes. There are a lot of conservation measures in place, and if you notice you never get lids for drinks (way too much excess litter), and stuff like that. Just maintaining the environment for the catfish is part of conservation.
    Walk Beyond...

Mellisa, I may be mistaken but aren't the lagoons used for Paddlewhell, SRF, Iron Dragon, Mantis, and the Swan boats, lagoons that were dug out by George Arthur Beockling in the early years of the park? I seem to remeber hearing that in the CP memories special 6 years ago.
    This signature will self destruct in 5 seconds.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Villain | Steel Roller Coaster: Raptor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast