Thread: India/Pakistan war a good thing?

Thumbs up India/Pakistan war a good thing?

Basically, I look at it this way. As of know we believe that Osama may be in Pakistan. At the same time, Pakistan and India are getting ready to stage the world's first nuclear war. If India fires a nuke at Pakistan, it could easily kill bin Laden, and if that doesn't get him, it would spread fallout into Afghanistan. Granted, Pakistan, Iraq, Egypt, etc. might strike back at India and put the entire middle east in a nuclear winter. What do you think?
    I wonder
    Favorites: Amusement Park: SFMM by far! | Wooden Roller Coaster: Any of 'em | Steel Roller Coaster: X

I think that the war is bad and hopefully tensions will calm down soon. The last thing we need is a nuclear war to settle.
    13 Bravo Company Field Artillery Unit. An Army of One.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Lightning Racer | Steel Roller Coaster: Hypersonic XLC

War is bad, but in war you use every advantage you got, especially when its not at your expense.
    I wonder
    Favorites: Amusement Park: SFMM by far! | Wooden Roller Coaster: Any of 'em | Steel Roller Coaster: X

Heartline Poster
    War is never good. Especially as both sides have nuclear weapons. They're still a long way from using them, but it makes things that much more worrying.
    Andy Rathe
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Europa Park | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider | Steel Roller Coaster: Expedition Ge Force

I AM NOT SUPPORTING THE USE OF NUCLEAR WEPONS
    it is just a very likely possibility!
    I wonder

hey if many nukes are detonated the fallout might be strong enough to reach u.s allies and war is never good
    With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: bush gardens williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: J2 aka tsunami | Steel Roller Coaster: drachen fire rip

Mega Poster
    No one knows what kind of power setting off multiple nukes at the same time. Sending an atomic bomb to Pakistan may kill bin Laden, but it would also injure or kill hundreds of thousands of innocent people. The last think we want in our world is nuclear war. No one knows what might come from all that energy being released at the same time. No war is a good think, but nuclear war is the worst. Personally, I don't think either side will launch a single nuke because they are too afraid of what might happen. We learned a valuable lesson from Hiroshima and Nagasaki. This is like the Cold War, but it involves much weaker countries. Both sides are too scared to attack, afraid of what the other might do in retaliation. If nuclear weapons are used, then this may be the start of a third world war. I highly doubt it, but I bet people also doubted World War I and World War II would even happen.
    **PKI**
    Possible Parks this summer: PKI, SFKK, CP, DP, HP, GL
    Favorites: Amusement Park: BGW | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Alpengeist

Hyper Poster
    Hey, if India decides to try and kill bin Laden with a nuke, can I press the button? Heehee, button!

Just kidding. This is pretty serious, I'd never do that. Much as India and Pakistan hate each other, there's no way they're gonna use nukes any time soon. Using a nuke would spark international tension against them. The only reason we used the nuke was because an amphibious invasion of Japan would be absolute suicide, and it was felt that using the nuke was the only possible solution, after looking at many others. India and Pakistan are nowhere near that point yet.
    Last edited by birderboy; 01-02-2002 at 02:25 PM.
    Your favorite coaster sucks.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: BGW | Wooden Roller Coaster: Mr. Twister II (I haven't ridden many, you can tell) | Steel Roller Coaster: Alpengeist

International Playboy Steve Batchelor's Avatar
    I can't believe the way in which some of you are talking about this. Just because it is in a country the other side of the world to you does not lesten its effect. I don't wish to start a flame war here but please just think about what this should mean if war does break out. Desperation may drive one side to do something stupid in this kind of conflict, let us all hope that it never comes to that. In the meantime, please let's not be passe and flippant about this topic.
    Thrillnetwork.com Moderator
    (Formerly Steve-in-London)
    'Strike me down and I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine...'
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Universal's Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider, Gwazi | Steel Roller Coaster: Nemesis, Riddlers Revenge, Dragon Khan

Unhappy

Nuclear bombs were only used once in wartime, in 1945. Pakistan and India wouldn't be stupid enough to start a nuclear war. Inferno is right, even if they did start a nuclear war (we're all hoping they won't), and even if a nuclear weapon did kill bin Laden, then thousands of other people would die. I know people who live in Hiroshima, and several of their relatives were killed when the A-bomb destroyed the city in 1945. Let's not go through all of that again.
    Aaron Cedoras: Thrillnetwork Story Editor
    "Dead men tell no tales..."

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force and Steel Dragon 2000. I can't make up my mind between the two, so don't ask.

I would say that a nuclear weapon will probably never be used in a war, unless its some dumbass muslim extremists

Originally posted by Franklin D. Roosevelt
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself
    Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan.

No clue who the guy pictured in my avatar is, but its a great picture nonetheless!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Colossos | Steel Roller Coaster: Kumba

War is never a good thing. I dont think the countries will dare start a nuclear was because it would only end up with all of their people dead.

Fear Rules Those Weak Enough To Except It
    -Disaster Transport
    '11 Area Supervisor, Merch & Games, Michigan's Adventure '10 Area Supervisor, Games, Michigan's Adventure
    '09 Area Supervisor, Merch, Michigan's Adventure '08 Area Supervisor, Merch, Six Flags Over Texas
    '07 Area Supervisor, Merch, Cedar Point '06 Ride Operator, Batman:TR, SFGAM
    '05 Front Desk, Disney's BoardWalk Inn & Villas, WDW '04 Sales Associate, Merchandise, CP
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebels | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

actually, a nuclear war between pakistan and india isn't super-unlikely. its certainly not likely, but it'd be dangerous to totally discount the possibility of a state-initiated nuclear war. regional nuclear wars are entirely possible so long as either pakistan or india feel that war is imminent and inevitable. in such a case, one would attempt to pre-empt the strike power of the other. the more likely to attempt this is pakistan (though ironically they have fewer deliverable warheads). the danger is that a pakistani-indian nuclear war is not a MAD scenario like the the americans and the soviets in the cold war. hence, it makes rational sense to use a nuclear weapon theoretically. its a dangerous but real possibility.
    Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.

Nuclear War won't be a good thing. The only reason countries have nukes is because of MAD, or Mutually Assured Destruction.
    That means that if one country fires their nukes at another to destory it, the country being attacked can destroy the attacker.
    On the other hand, if one country had nukes and no other country did, then that country could rule the world, so while nukes are a good thing to have, they aren't a good thing to use.
    Also, the state of our nuclear weapons is DEATHCON4, which is one thing away from using them. And yes, MAD is most definitely guaranteed because Pakistan doesn't have to deliver their weapons that far (sorry mrk, but when two countries neighbor each other you don't need that well-developed of a delivery system).
    Life is a rollercoaster, enjoy it, b/c the ride is always too short (If someone's already said this, sorry, I didn't mean to rip it off ya)
    Favorites: Amusement Park: BGW | Wooden Roller Coaster: Backwards Rebel Yell | Steel Roller Coaster: Apollo's Chariot

Originally posted by Anaconda
    Also, the state of our nuclear weapons is DEATHCON4, which is one thing away from using them. And yes, MAD is most definitely guaranteed because Pakistan doesn't have to deliver their weapons that far (sorry mrk, but when two countries neighbor each other you don't need that well-developed of a delivery system).
    um, my point had nothing to do with delivery capability. its obvious that both countries have that ability--if they didn't we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    my point is was that neither country has very many nuclear warheads, their locations are known, and they are clustered together. this nullifies MAD because theoretically one country can use their nukes to take out the other country's (this is possible due to the low # of nukes) before they have a chance to launch (thanks to close proximity). i point to pakistan as doing this simply because they are less stable (traditionally) and more likely to view a pre-strike scenario as adventageous.

and DEFCON4 puts us three away from nuclear war, not one. DEFCON counts down from 5, where 5 is no perceived threat.

Angry

WAR IS BAD!!!!!!!!!

I, like my other colleagues posting on this thread, am against war. I think we are at an interesting time in the world. There is a part of me that reasons we should do all we can to broker peace and resolve these powder keg issues. There is another part of me that is just fed up with people, tribes, factions, and countries continually antagonizing and condoning volence and war. Israel & Palestinians. India & Pakistan. There is a side of me rejecting the pacifism and reasoning that wants to scream "let them kill each other" - "let them totally annihilate eachg other so we never have to hear about them or from them again". Maybe we could cajole Iran & Iraq to resume their war which, in my opinion, didn't leave enough dead on either side.

Just sign me

"sick of the world"
    Nothing like a big woodie first thing in the morning and before going to bed at night.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebels (Small Park) Hersheypark (Corp Park) DCA & IOA (Theme Park) | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1. Boulderdash (Lake Compounce) 2. GhostRider (KBF) 3. Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: 1. Superman: Ride of Steel (SFNE) 2. Phantom's Revenge 3. California Screamin' (DCA)

well, you don't have to be 'for' or 'against' war. that would make it a callous savage vs. pie-in-the-sky argument. its not. no one likes war, and hardly anyone wants it. however, i think we must accept it as the occasional consequence of living in the world that we do. the simple fact is that there ARE those out there who wish pain upon people, and sometimes peace does not work. coercion by force should be a viable yet last-ditch option in all cases.

Of course it won't be good. It's fighting. Killing. That's never good, no matter who is doing it.

And guys, especially Andy Rathe and Steve-in-London, just remember that this board is run by 13 year olds who know nothing of the world besides what is in their schoolbooks.

Originally posted by Kraken
    Of course it won't be good. It's fighting. Killing. That's never good, no matter who is doing it.

And guys, especially Andy Rathe and Steve-in-London, just remember that this board is run by 13 year olds who know nothing of the world besides what is in their schoolbooks.

LOL, yah that sounds right, how old was the kid who said "WAR IS BAD! that made my day, and kid, war is a major part of the worlds economy, without war, the economy of the country would be in trouble. If there was world peace, the USAs economic outlook would die.
    Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan.

No clue who the guy pictured in my avatar is, but its a great picture nonetheless!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Colossos | Steel Roller Coaster: Kumba

Originally posted by antfarm007

and kid, war is a major part of the worlds economy, without war, the economy of the country would be in trouble. If there was world peace, the USAs economic outlook would die.
    that's going a bit far. defense spending may help the economy in some ways, but actual war tends to inevitably hurts the economy. it plunges countries into deficit spending, which increases interest rates and decreases foreign investment, etc. at any rate, historically, most wars are followed by economic downturn for the countries involved (cept in the case of conquest). the exception being WWII and America, but this is even misleading b/c our economy boosted when we were producing goods for the countries at war before we were drawn in. ideally, we should maintain a large and technologically advanced standing army that never goes to war.

Maybe they can create a Saturday morning cartoon of the war to teach all the kiddies. Kind of like mighty morphin power rangers. It could be the dotheads vs. the rag heads. I could be like a Roadrunner style cartoon. And, we could tune in each week to see the latest mad antics.
    Nothing like a big woodie first thing in the morning and before going to bed at night.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebels (Small Park) Hersheypark (Corp Park) DCA & IOA (Theme Park) | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1. Boulderdash (Lake Compounce) 2. GhostRider (KBF) 3. Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: 1. Superman: Ride of Steel (SFNE) 2. Phantom's Revenge 3. California Screamin' (DCA)