Thread: Wood or Steel?

Suspended-No Email cedarboy2001's Avatar
    How about it. Which kind do you like better?
    <BR>
    <BR>At this point I kind of prefer steel. You can build a wide variety of steel coasters, plus many, like B&M's coasters, can give you the sensation of flying.

Looping Poster
    My opinion is: Why choose when you can have both?
    <BR>
    <BR>Though if I had to choose, I'd choose steel because of its versatility.
    VorTeX
    Cedar Point Season Pass Holder

I believe in life BEFORE death.

A society without religion is like a crazed psycopath without a loaded .45

<a href=http://www.fallentree.org>Got Questions?</a>
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Looping Poster
    After riding Kraken, Montu, and Incredible Hulk (among others) on a recent trip to Fla, I am starting to appreciate steel more, however...
    <BR>
    <BR>I like wood. There is something about the classic feel of a wooden coaster that you can't get with steel.
    "I wasn't always this cynical, but then I started kindergarden..."
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: Apollo's Chariot

I would have to go with steel as well.Its also easier to maintain.
    Scott Easterday
    <BR>TRDCDS1@aol.com
    <BR>Fav. Coaster: Millennium Force
    <BR>Danimation.com Member

Minetrain Poster
    i love steel coasters, especially hypermegas....but i am enthralled by a good woodie now and then(roar at SF america, for one...)

Definitely steel. Way more options.
    <a href=http://gandc.20m.com/index.html> Rollercoaster -PA</a>

I like steel. But I really love wood coasters. I like the rickety feeling of them.

Wooden Poster
    Steel is awesome, and B+M make the best out there, yet there's something about woodies. It's the wild, out of control feeling; being thrown around.

i just perfer steel, its the comfortable seats, smoothness, roar, and above all, high gees. i don't remember many woods that pull 4 or 5 gees
    "remember, the enemy's gate is down"
    <BR>
    <BR>98 precent of you have no clue what i'm talking about

I have to go with wooden coasters because they are soo awesome! they can give a diffrent feeling to the rider on each ride that the rider takes . They also are how coasters were first made and how the should be!!<BR><BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: son of beast on 2001-05-04 16:02 ]</font>

Heartline Poster Apollo's Chariot's Avatar
    I love steel coaster.
    <BR>Woodies are ok but i would much rather be steel.

Maybe if I ride a woodie that can top Goliath, I'll prefer wood. But until then, steel is my favorite material.
    Jocko
    <BR>"Excuse me, but where are your nuclear implosion couplers?"

who cares? coasters are coasters! i love coasters!

They both have their advantages.
    <BR>
    <BR>Steel: Has a more wide range. They also are much smoother (in <!-- BBCode Start --><B>most</B><!-- BBCode End --> cases) and can provide inversion elements. Also, in the case of steel hypers, you can go much higher and have less mechanical/maintainance problems.
    <BR>
    <BR>2. Wood: Has been around much longer and have been perfected in design and elements. They provide a great feeling and throw you around a bit.

Oh NO THATS TOO HARD OF A QUESTION. I like steel for their elements and how smoothe they can be, but Woodies are great for that old time feeling

Looping Poster
    this is a bad question to ask to coaster fans....steelers are great, but we got to honor woodys because they were the originals.IF not for the woodys, we would not have any coasters to enjoy today.
    Roller koasters are beautiful pieces of art. The movement of the trains is my anime. The screams are music to my ears.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast/Grizzly | Steel Roller Coaster: X/ Millenium Force

Wood is the best. Sure they may be a bit rough, but that's part of the experience. There is no variety because no one is trying anything new with the, and they really could. Would it really be that hard to make a floorless car for a woodie? Intamin? GCI? CCI? Anyone? I'm beggin' you.

Steel if I had to choose. I agree, why choose one when you can have both.
    <BR>
    <BR>P.S. Yeah, it's my 100th post!

Looping Poster
    i say, i prefer.....
    <BR>
    <BR>
    <BR>a park that actually has both great steel, and great wood. i have yet to visit a park that has several top caliber steels, and the wood to match.if anyone has any knowledge of a park that features the best of both worlds, please feel free to let me know, so i too can enjoy them

Suspended Poster
    wooden, cos they look so unsafe, with certain supports missed out at stategic places
    <BR>
    <BR>i love the feeling of a rough ride, combined with g's, it makes for a great ride, but when you get that on a steel rollerocaster, you don't like it, because it is steel.
    <BR>
    <BR>wooden coaster rule(but not wooden hypers!:D)
    <BR>
    *If anyone is offended by this post, then it your fault for not agreeing with me*
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Parc Asterix | Wooden Roller Coaster: Tonnerre de Zeus | Steel Roller Coaster: Nemesis

Steel all the way!

it depends on the ride. Ghostrider felt like a steel ride to me because it was so smooth. Scary as hell, but smooooooooth!

Take the physical challenge! Jerry Huster's Avatar
    I know that this thread had started first, but there are more replys (and recent activity) over on this thread:
    <BR>
    <BR><!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href="http://www.thrillride.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=765&forum=1&start=0" target="_blank">http://www.thrillride.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=765&forum=1&start=0</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end -->
    <BR>
    <BR>Since this topic has fewers posts, we'll lock this one and ask that you post at the topic above. I want to stress that I'm not doing this just because the other thread was started by a Thrillride! Moderator. We're just trying to keep things streamlined.
    <BR>
    <BR>To prevent duplicate posts in the future, please use the "search" function at the top of the screen.
    <BR>
    <BR>Thanks!!!
    Jerry Huster
    ThrillNetwork.com Art Director and Story Editor
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Paramount's Kings Dominion/Six Flags America | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast, Paramount's Kings Island, Cinci, OH | Steel Roller Coaster: Superman: Ride Of Steel / Batwing @ SFA