Thread: Disney World - River Country

Disney World - River Country

whats up with river country in DW. why is it almost always closed. i know (for those who have talked with me on the CP deal) my plans with going to parks in all r constantly changing with me and actually it did again. i am going to DW for 4th of july. now my Grandpa loved it there and took us every year in either the summer or the first week of december. he just died in jan and we r now going again. now i know every park in DW insinde out and know exactly how to work my way around the crowds and so dose my family. we are staying on the on site resort(beach club) so i will be able to get into the park early and everything. wait a sec i posted this thread to tlak bout river country...lol...talk about someone going completely off track. well anyways about river country. i went last year and it was closed every day but i never knew the reason. i just purchased a book on disney and it said once again RC would be closed for the season(so did the opffical disney site) and this is an offical guide to disney for 2002. now i am pretty sure when they say season they mean either that month or spring or winter season but not to sure. what would be some reasons to why it is closed so much or if u know the exact reason. i would greatly appreciate it. it is an extrodinary water park and for those of u who have been there would prob agree with me. the slides r really big and long and it is a giant sand bottom pool/lake with many activities through out the day. whats up with it though. Y?
    Last edited by Coastr Crazy 72; 04-02-2002 at 02:44 PM.

Being the least popular park at Disney, it probably makes the least money. Hence, they close it during slow times because it would lose money.
    "BECAUSE someone like you cared a whole afwul lot, this park is alive where before it was not." -The Street of the Lifted Lorax, IOA
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200

i know and they only charge 15 $ to get in but i really dont consider 4th of july the off season..lol...more like nightmare on mainstreet...

I stayed at the Wilderness Campground last 4th of July (which is located on site with River Country), and I remember it being a madhouse on the 4th. All of the parks were, I was planning on going to Blizzard Beach but it stopped admitting people at 11 AM because the park was full. So I don't think they'd close it because of admission, it is a decently popular park.

Wooden Poster
    I have a copy of Birnbaum's 2002 guide to Walt Disney World, which is listed as the official guide and is the only WDW guide sold at the Disney stores, and it doesn't say anything about RC being closed for the year. I would imagine that with it being natural waters, versus the pools of Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach, that it is not heated and not open during the late fall, winter, and early spring months. I'm going to WDW in early May (only 38 more days!!!:D :D :D ) so I'll check into it and post a reply when I return.

i totaly agree with u jojo...i dont think they would close it because of admissions....it is a great park like i said and trust me...disney never loses money on anything

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Ler Llama [/i]
    [B]I have a copy of Birnbaum's 2002 guide to Walt Disney World, which is listed as the official guide and is the only WDW guide sold at the Disney stores, and it doesn't say anything about RC being closed for the year. I would imagine that with it being natural waters, versus the pools of Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach, that it is not heated and not open during the late fall, winter, and early spring months. I'm going to WDW in early May (only 38 more days!!!:D :D :D ) so I'll check into it and post a reply when I return. [/B][/QUOTE]

thanx that would help.....btw thats the one i have but i also have another one that claims it is an official guide...found it in barnes n noble....but anyways ture it could be the water but i mean just because it is sand bottom doesnt mean it has to be natural water...look at the beach and yahct clubs pool...its all sand bottom and it is all pool water with lots of filters....maybe thats what they r doing..maybe there changing...well i dont know but i hope it is open when i go

They would close it for two reasons. One is to do the annual rehab and the other is to conserve staffing dollars. With the WDW cutbacks of the past seven or so months and the decrease in park visitors, it was only prudent to move some lifeguards to Blizzard and Typhoon and close up River Country for a while.
    Working here is like an amusement park! There's excitement! There's challenge...and it will often make you sick.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Epcot Center (no coasters...go figure!) | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Coastr Crazy 72 [/i]
    [B]i totaly agree with u jojo...i dont think they would close it because of admissions....it is a great park like i said and[/B][I] trust me...disney never loses money on anything [/I] [/QUOTE]
    Have you heard of maybe DCA? or AK? Disney does loose money.

Anyway, the biggest reason, is that WDW and DL are increbibly understaffed. They probably don't have enough staff now to keep that park running well.
    The College of William and Mary Class of 2009
    Delta Chi - ΔΧ
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Disney World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Viper | Steel Roller Coaster: Raging Bull

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by intamin101 [/i]
    [B]
    Have you heard of maybe DCA? or AK? Disney does loose money.

Anyway, the biggest reason, is that WDW and DL are increbibly understaffed. They probably don't have enough staff now to keep that park running well. [/B][/QUOTE]

look i have a million reasons to why i said they never lose money....but im not getting into it because i am not going off the subject.....

WDW is not understaffed by a long shot....well actually if u take into consideration the 9/11 then yea u might say they r a little behind in staff members since june but they r definityl not understaffed by a long shot...look at universal...now that is a place that is incredibly understaffed...wel at least when i went...maybe they just dont have many people willing to work at river country..well actually they wouldnt really have a chioce i dont think....wel anyways i think it is because of the lake water and they having to try to maintain it a lot....and having to try to get it heated since it is all natural...i think thats the reaosn

Wooden Poster
    The Orlando Sentinel has a bit on the status of River County.

[I]Walt Disney World's first water park, River Country, has closed and may not reopen.

Opening in 1976, River Country has fallen in popularity behind Disney's newer water parks, Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach, which opened in 1988 and 1995, respectively.

Blizzard Beach, with attendance of 1.8 million in 2001, and Typhoon Lagoon, 1.6 million, were ranked No. 1 and No. 2 among the world's top water parks last year, according to estimates by Amusement Business magazine. River Country didn't make the Top 15 rankings.

Disney World spokesman Bill Warren said that River Country could be reopened if "there's enough guest demand."[/I]

So basically it may open; it may not open. Real specific, huh?
    :rolleyes:

You can find this, by the way, at
    [URL=http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/orl-cfbtourism08040802apr08.story]www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/orl-cfbtourism08040802apr08.story[/URL]

yea that basically covers it ler llama. i cant believe it though....it may never open again...i think it is a great water park....maybe not the biggest but definitly one of the best....its great....and hopefully u guys can help..they said guests demands so maybe we shoukd try to do something bout it...i mean if u care and like river country as much as id o

MidwestInfoGuide Chief Editor
    Personally I thought it was the weakest park on the WDW property. If they plan on reopening it, they need to beef up the ride selection. Honestly you can't tell me you would rather go to River Country if you had the option to go to Blizzard Beach, which is almost 100 times better. But that's MHO.
    | DHOLLON "SWOOSH" | ~ http://www.MIDWESTINFOGUIDE.com ~ | 585 COASTERS | MIZZOU-RAH! |
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City | Wooden Roller Coaster: PROWLER™ | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force™

I'm not a big waterpark person. I've only been to Wet n' Wild, Adventure Island(my favorite), and River Country. River Country, although not the best waterpark, had a kind of watering hole charm that could never be matched anywhere else. It will be sad to see this leave. This will join Mr.Toad, Captain EO, Skyway, Horizons, and others in that big Disney heaven in the sky.:(
    Last edited by rocketman23; 04-09-2002 at 07:07 PM.
    "BECAUSE someone like you cared a whole afwul lot, this park is alive where before it was not." -The Street of the Lifted Lorax, IOA
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DHollon [/i]
    [B]Personally I thought it was the weakest park on the WDW property. If they plan on reopening it, they need to beef up the ride selection. Honestly you can't tell me you would rather go to River Country if you had the option to go to Blizzard Beach, which is almost 100 times better. But that's MHO. [/B][/QUOTE]

I guess they should tear down Coney Island and the Cyclone. I mean, let's face it, the park has a poor ride selection. I much rather go to a Six Flags or Cedar Fair park with a beefed up ride selection.

Back to reality, River Country is great for families with small children or couples without children. It is quieter and does have a certain charm lacking from it's two big brothers. It will be a shame to see it go.
    Working here is like an amusement park! There's excitement! There's challenge...and it will often make you sick.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Epcot Center (no coasters...go figure!) | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wahooskipper [/i]
    [B]

I guess they should tear down Coney Island and the Cyclone. I mean, let's face it, the park has a poor ride selection. I much rather go to a Six Flags or Cedar Fair park with a beefed up ride selection.

Back to reality, River Country is great for families with small children or couples without children. It is quieter and does have a certain charm lacking from it's two big brothers. It will be a shame to see it go. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well your comparison is like night and day, but since you did bring it up, yes I would rather go to a Cedar Fair or Six Flags Park then Coney Island. For one thing they are much cleanier.

I'm sure it has a certain charm, but then again - most people go to WDW for something "flashy" and River Country really doesn't cut it. If they add some more rides to it, then I could see keeping it open. I'm sure some people have sentimental attachments to it for some reason or another, but you have to look at it from a business stand point, and it's not doing it's job.
    | DHOLLON "SWOOSH" | ~ http://www.MIDWESTINFOGUIDE.com ~ | 585 COASTERS | MIZZOU-RAH! |
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City | Wooden Roller Coaster: PROWLER™ | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force™

Parks are criticized on this site religiously for making business decision. All I am saying is Disney should be able to come up with a creative way to save this gem. Heck, ACE spent years rasing money to save Leap-The-Dips. Was that a good business decision?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wahooskipper [/i]
    [B]Parks are criticized on this site religiously for making business decision. All I am saying is Disney should be able to come up with a creative way to save this gem. Heck, ACE spent years rasing money to save Leap-The-Dips. Was that a good business decision? [/B][/QUOTE]

So you criticizing us for taking the realistic aproach to the the amusement industry will make it right? Oh yes I see it now, two wrongs does make a right. I believe that if Disney can find a way to get ROI on River Country, they will keep it. However as of now that is not the case. Again with your with Leap-the-Dips comment, another night and day comparision. ACE is a private organization and one of their sole purposes is to save coasters. If you want to create AWE (American Waterpark Enthusiasts) and save River Country, I say go for it. :rolleyes:

Corkscrew Poster
    The problem that I see with River Country is the non-ease of accessability. You have to go from a resort to a park, change bus to TTC, change bus to Fort Wilderness to get to this park. There isn't an easy way to get there. Even if you drive you have to park in the parking lot at Fort Wilderness and then board a bus to ride to the water park.

This was the first water park that I went to. It is always a shame to see anything closed down. They deffinately need to do something to make it more accessable to guests.

So in reality it wasn't the GUESTS that killed River Country, it was poor planning by WDW.:flip:

Corkscrew Poster
    That is where I would point my finger.

When i was there a few years ago, it was closed cause they were putting in a wave machine. this seems a large investment to me for a park they plan on closing so much.

And how do you put a wave machine in a lake? Isn't this dangerous - if it's a lake you can't see the bottom can you? And all the sand and mud would be churned up. And wouldn't the lake just be too big?

Maybe i'm wrong and they built it in a smaller pool.

I thought that Raging Waters in San Dimas had a wave pool with a sand bottom.

Well, im not suprised, with the cutbacks and the addition of new rides they need to conserve money which isnt something theyre good at.

what rides are there in river country?
    LET'S GO PENS! THE CUP WILL BE OURS IN 2003!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Son of Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force