Thread: Hyper Rails Gets Bad Reviews?

Exclamation Hyper Rails Gets Bad Reviews?

I read at Amazon.com about the status of Hyper Rails and people all over the boards gave it like half a star out of 5. Now most of them were like "it's too hard to design a coaster" and "you have to be an engineer to work this game." I can understand that with the NL style of editing and the fact that most of the people on those boards know nothing about coasters.

But then they were also talking about sound being a problem, bugs that crash the game, tutorial too long, graphics not good enough... It makes me wonder if I should get it or not.

Those who have it, is it really that bad?
    Tim
    Favorites: Amusement Park: IOA, SFOG, BGW | Wooden Roller Coaster: Georgia Cyclone, GASM (Georgia), American Eagle | Steel Roller Coaster: Apollo's Chariot, V2, Raging Bull, S:UF, Hulk

Over at the SixFlagsNews forums, they recommend Hyper Rails over No LImits. Their reasoning, but not quoting them, is that you have to be a "rocket scientist" to design on No Limits. I have yet to see HR in stores. I keep going to a reputable store and they just do not have it.
    Ask me why I say Banshee is NOT the new Kings Island coaster.
    Be sure to check out Speedzone as I have made 11 additions.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, circa 1989 | Wooden Roller Coaster: Blue Streak (CP) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (CP), never been on Drachen Fire

Looping Poster
    Well, I have Hyper Rails and I think it's pretty good. The editor takes some getting used to, but once you get used to it it's (I think) a lot easier than No Limits, and you can still do basically unlimited track configurations (although it's hard to do smooth banking at first and very difficult to make smooth custom inversions). The 4ds are also very cool. As for bugs, I don't seem to have many problems with it, but I've heard of a lot of people who have. The graphics are good, although some of the tracks aren't as realistic-looking as they are in NoLimits.
    Anyway, I hope that was helpful!
    -Tycoon (aRollerCoasterGuy at Coastersims)
    My newest NL creation:
    Thunder Dragon
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider | Steel Roller Coaster: Superman: Ride of Steel (Six Flags New England)

I was in a Best Buy today in Chicago and hyper Rails was there. I looked at the box and the graphics looked amazing. You could tell that it was Viper at SFMM totally recreated, it almsot looked like a pic of it for a moment. They also had coasters that looked like Riddler'srevenge and of course X- what other 4d coaster could it have been? It's a shame though if it is hard to play.
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME
    Favorites: Amusement Park: 1. Cedar Point 2. SFGAm 3. Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1. The Voyage 2. Viper 3. The Boss 4. Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: 1. Millennium Force 2. Top Thrill Dragster 3. Maverick 4. Raging Bull 5. Raptor

i got it at eb games last year. i haven't had any problems with it, but now i have nolimits and i like it better. hyper rails is easier to use, the only thing i don't like about it is that it is hard to make good supports.

Banned
    IMO, Hyper Rails is a terrible game. The sound effects are terrible, the graphics are terrible, the editor is terrible, and is very unrealistic compared to No Limits.

People take one look at the No Limits editor and figure it would be impossible for them to even attempt making a track. It's not as hard as it looks people.

Knowone waste your money or time with Hyper Rails (or Scream Machines). Buy No Limits, it's not as hard as people say it is.

James
    alot of people dont liek this game.. on my site people make fun of it too
    http://s7.invisionfree.com/CanobieFa...p?showforum=23

Strata Poster
    Hyper Rails is not worth the money. You can't do as much as you can do with NL and it isn't much easier either. If you are going to buy a game, then definitely go with NL.

Favorites: Amusement Park: EPCOT Center | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Top Thrill Dragster

Giga Poster
    Hyper Rails is a terrible game and NL is a way better game.

I have Hyper Rails...somewhere. No LImits I just do not want. I have done the Scream Machine demo and made something moderately crappy. I had a bunch of trouble to even get a station started in the HR editor until I downloaded a patch. I think in all the time I've had the game, I've played it twice.

The only reason I think people would pick up HR over NL is the availability of the game in stores, rather than one website. PLus I couldn't imagine downloading NL on my 56K connection.
    Ask me why I say Banshee is NOT the new Kings Island coaster.
    Be sure to check out Speedzone as I have made 11 additions.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, circa 1989 | Wooden Roller Coaster: Blue Streak (CP) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (CP), never been on Drachen Fire

if you have a choice between hyperrails and nl, go for nl.
    Last edited by ejatwd; 06-17-2004 at 08:49 PM.

I enjoy Hyper rails. The lamdscaper is a little harsd to work with and it isn't as easy as RCT but it is a great game to design realistic coasters. And at Best Buy it was only 1.99. Yes 2 dollars! What a steal!
    Top Gun:The Jet Coaster at Paramount's Carowinds is the best invert yet!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Ghost Town In The Sky | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunder Road | Steel Roller Coaster: Kumba