Thread: Kennywood 2003

Kennywood 2003

Kennywood has some new stuff in store this year. Their redesigned website mentions "Volcano Valley featuring King Kahuna", but doesn't say anything else about it. Check out the logo for King Kahuna . . . a blue swirl. That strongly suggests a water ride to me, maybe one of those spinning rapids rides that are popping up all over this year? Volcano Valley just sounds like a new section of the park, although not the sort of theme you'd expect from Kennywood.

Anyone have any other guesses or hard information to share?
    "Yeah, that's what I want in a roller coaster. Seniority." - Dennis Miller, referring to Leap The Dips
    Favorites: | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: S:RoS at SFNE

Spinning rapids is a pretty good guess. I'd call Vegas and see what the odds are. Maybe we can get in on that action.
    nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope....couldn't think of anything
    Favorites: Amusement Park: BGW | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

King Kahuna is a top spin that Kennywood acquired from another park. It is located where the restrooms were by the enterprise. The enterprise also has been rethemed and is now called "Volcano". Not sure what else is new.
    Once the lift chain lets go...it's God and Gravity in control
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Member previously known as daughter_of_beast
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

New Mexico Rattler Poster BryanWood's Avatar
    King Kahuna is the Top Spin from their sister park, Lake Compounce in Bristol, Conn. They are supposedly moving the Noah's Ark restrooms to where the putt-putt was, and adding King Kahuna in the spot vacated by the restrooms. Enterprise is also to be re-themed for Volcano Valley.
    Bryan Wood
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebel's, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage, Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath-SFoG, Phantom's Revenge

Well, at least I was very vaguely on the right track. It spins, and could potentially be a water ride. Any idea if it's a wet Top Spin? Water jets seem to be the norm for them these days, but there's no mention of water in the ride description.

Hmm, per the website there are only three rides in Volcano Valley: King Kahuna, Volcano, and the Pirate. The Pirate was already very nicely themed, so this should be a good-looking area.
    "Yeah, that's what I want in a roller coaster. Seniority." - Dennis Miller, referring to Leap The Dips
    Favorites: | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: S:RoS at SFNE

Heartline Poster
    If they do get it, it's probably all they're getting this year. All I know is this: I haven't made it up to KennyWood yet, and some lame water ride certainly isn't going to get me up there. Im a coaster enthusiast, not a water bunny!

Originally posted by DyingDutchman
    If they do get it, it's probably all they're getting this year. All I know is this: I haven't made it up to KennyWood yet, and some lame water ride certainly isn't going to get me up there. Im a coaster enthusiast, not a water bunny!
    The coasters at Kennywood are a lot of fun, and skipping he park because of a Top Spin is ridiculous. Phantom's Revenge is one of the best steelies out there, not to mention 3 classic woodies that are tons of fun. They also have a Zamperla Hawk, Reverchon Indoor Spinning Coaster, Intamin Drop Tower, a 101 year old dark/water ride, and one of two Noah's Arks left in the world. That is PLENTY of reason to go to this park. Not to mention it's inexpensive, cheap but good food and has one of the scariest Skycoasters around.
    Bryan Wood
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebel's, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage, Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath-SFoG, Phantom's Revenge

At Coasterbash this past weekend we learned that the enterprise will be put inside of a crater and “explode” out of the top with a new paint job, lights and fog. Pirate ship is themed so that is done. There was also mention of a water feature but no details give. Bathrooms are supposed to be moved, I can’t remember but I think she said where the stage was last year. We should have seen this coming since the Pirate Ship was re-themed and the addition of a fish stand.

They also mentioned the whole park, with the exception of Lost Kennywood, would be open for Phantom Fright Nights with the addition of a new “hunted house” to be added by the pavilions behind Kiddie Land. This would be themed as a battlefield. That’s all I can remember.
    kermat13
    For President 2016
    I'm kermat13 and I approve this message.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: toss up---Cedar Point or Kings Island. | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderbolt | Steel Roller Coaster: Raptor

Also, they said that Tbolt will be open during PFN, more themeing will be added to Pirate, and Noah's Ark will be "haunted" for PFN.
    Bryan Wood