Thread: Boomerang with something different

Boomerang with something different

I was clicking on the random roller coaster at rcdb and I came across Boomerang at Prater Park. Prater Park is a pretty neat sounding park with a load of old coasters, including a looping woodie, I think. See my [url=http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19453]previous thread[/url] about that.

Anyway, Boomerang at Prater Park has a tunnel! At least I think it does. Look at the [URL=http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery1093.htm]pictures[/URL] especially [URL=http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery1093.htm?Picture=7]this one[/URL]. It sure looks like there's a tunnel on the exit (going forwards) of the cobra roll. Does anyone have any more info on this to confirm it? I think that's a pretty neat idea and a cool way to toy with the old boomerang.
    ThrillNetwork editor emeritus - NSCIGC member
    Voyage is the best coaster
    Raptor ride count - 1,160.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, Holiday World, Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Raptor

Divinity
    Yup, that's definately a tunnel; you can see how the tunnel structure crosses the supports for the coaster, so unless they just put like a wall on one side, it must be enclosed. Neat idea! Too bad I won't quite be able to make it to Austria to check it out anytime soon.
    Walk Beyond...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, Sandusky, OH | Wooden Roller Coaster: Blue Streak (Cedar Point, OH) | Steel Roller Coaster: Kraken (Sea World, FL)

If you look at the other picks, it shows that it is definately a tunnel.

Are there any other Boomerangs that have something to seperated them from the rest.
    Let's Go! HOKIES!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1.The Beast 2.Ghostrider 3.Phoenix 4.Lightning Racer | Steel Roller Coaster: 1.Millenium Force 2.Kraken 3.Alpengeist 4.Nitro

Yeah, shes awesome...JUST DEAL slipknot8527's Avatar
    Yah, some boomerangs have those UGLY new Vekoma trains...omg, just hideous those things are!
    HANNAH MONTANA!!!!!!!!!
    TAKING THE WORLD BY STORM!!!!!
    "I'm living proof....THAT GIRLS CAN ROCK!!!!!!"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Great American Scream Machine | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

i think the tunnel was a later addition to this boomerang, because in some of the pictures it doesn't have it. it looks pretty cool though. i like the color scheme too.
    "foolish earthlings, cower before the awesome techno onslaught of nine-hundred-and-nine robots dancing in unison"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick

Suspended Poster
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cid [/i]
    [B]i think the tunnel was a later addition to this boomerang, because in some of the pictures it doesn't have it. it looks pretty cool though. i like the color scheme too. [/B][/QUOTE]

The tunnel was a later addition, and it goes between the bottom half of the cobra roll and the very beginning of the loop. I forget when the tunnel was added, a few years back I do believe. I thought it would be cool to make the entire loop/cobra roll enclosed - hell, throw a boomerang inside a building and just let the lift hills stick out the top!
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point (how cliche) | Wooden Roller Coaster: Viper | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Hell, why not completely inclose it! I've always wondered why there isn't a mirrored boomerang. It would accully very a little from the rest. If I was starting a park that would be a considerable since it probably wouldn't coast too much. A tunnel on a boomerang.... COOL! it shows hope that some boomerangs may someday be different! YAY!
    Ne- RCT to the Max- http://www.nedesigns.com
    "What's so Civil about war anyway?"- Guns N' Roses
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Imagine that, a unique bommerang. Geeze, that's practically an oxymoron for people like us.
    LINKIN PARK IS A ROLLER COASTER!!!!
    LINKIN PARK IS A ROOOOOOLER COASTER!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Georgia Cyclone | Steel Roller Coaster: TTD and MF

Vekoma had marketed an enclosed version of the Boomerang design back in the early to mid 90's called 'Automatic Rewind'- the ride (which as far as I know has never been built as such) would have been enclosed with audio/visual effects to enhance the ride experience. ACE News had a brief article on it during the 1995 ACE News for IAAPA; the same issue also showed the first models of the now imfamous HangOver coaster.

Cool, It looks pretty disorientating, if Vekoma's don't totally mess with your mind enough! It looks like it is defenetley a tunnel. (Hence the supports) And it looks like it would be a neat little feature, but........Its a Vekoma which is a thread to your Brain Cells......:D
    Thornton to Heatley all day, every day.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Mean Streak | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

I would have a nightmare if the 2nd lift of a Vekoma Boomerang was all tunneled up and contained tens of blinding strobe lights. I would be begging for that slow lift cable to pull the train up and finally release it. It would make a Boomerang so much more interesting though. I could only take so much of the strobe, like on Lochness and on the special edition FrightFest Skull Mountain.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ride6 [/i]
    [B]Hell, why not completely inclose it! I've always wondered why there isn't a mirrored boomerang. It would accully very a little from the rest. If I was starting a park that would be a considerable since it probably wouldn't coast too much. A tunnel on a boomerang.... COOL! it shows hope that some boomerangs may someday be different! YAY! [/B][/QUOTE]

Aren't the concept of a boomerang crappy enough. Some park can't afford a POS beemer so they stip this thing in. A tunnel just makes the thing look more like an eyesore. Kinda like how lowrider tires and eccentric spoilers make ANY car look like crap.
    Ask me why I say Banshee is NOT the new Kings Island coaster.
    Be sure to check out Speedzone as I have made 11 additions.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, circa 1989 | Wooden Roller Coaster: Blue Streak (CP) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (CP), never been on Drachen Fire

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by CedarPoint_Mark [/i]
    [B]
    Kinda like how lowrider tires and eccentric spoilers make ANY car look like crap. [/B][/QUOTE]
    The best I saw was an 80's boxy Caprice with a "Fast and the Furious" aluminum spoiler in downtown Trenton. Couldn't help but crack up. That big tunnel on the Boomerang makes it look like SFAW's Viper on the first drop.
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

I only have pity for Boomerang's @ the beach piers like Morey's Pier and the "tiny can't do anything about it" parks.

Heartline Poster
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by CHILLERLC1 [/i]
    [B]I would have a nightmare if the 2nd lift of a Vekoma Boomerang was all tunneled up and contained tens of blinding strobe lights. I would be begging for that slow lift cable to pull the train up and finally release it. It would make a Boomerang so much more interesting though. I could only take so much of the strobe, like on Lochness and on the special edition FrightFest Skull Mountain. [/B][/QUOTE]

LMAO! Yea those strobes in the tunnel on LNM are a killer. Vekoma is the king of headaches, brainaches, and other cranial ailments, that's for sure. There's only so much you can do with a boomerang though... even the Invertigos are nothing special.