Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: brutal rides

Minetrain Poster

brutal rides

does anybody else here like the coasters that beat you up? it really angers me when they retrack or put brakes on certain rides. maybe sometimes it is needed for a coaster to remain running but it seems more often its because ppl complain about the ride not being smooth enough. my favorite coasters are the ones that these ppl think need retracked. its been a while since i rode it but thunder run used to be great at kentucky kingdom. they probably already ruined it by now though. the big dipper at six flags ohio is one of the best also

International Playboy Steve Batchelor's Avatar
    Hi Tiger, and welcome to TN!

In answer to your question, I was just saying earlier today that I love rough coasters, but only woodies. The more rattling banging and lurching it does the better.

I don't like rough steel coasters though because they can be very uncomfortable, particularly with over the shoulder restraints where your ears get a pounding.

To use an example, the old Arrow Corkscrew at Alton Towers is horrendous, it really is about time that pulled it down and put something else there.

Psyclone, on the other hand at SFMM, was great. I loved how much it threw you about. I do know, though, that we're in the minority on this so be prepared!!

Have fun!

Steve;)
    Thrillnetwork.com Moderator
    (Formerly Steve-in-London)
    'Strike me down and I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine...'
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Universal's Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider, Gwazi | Steel Roller Coaster: Nemesis, Riddlers Revenge, Dragon Khan

Yeah, I had read lots of very bad reviews about how rough Psyclone is, and when I finally got to ride it, it was amazingly rough, but guess what? I LOVED IT!!!
    On the other hand, rough steel coasters are brutally painful! For example: Viper at SFMM is a horrendously rough coaster, and I always come off with red ears! Ouch!
    Why can't we just have straps, like on Stealth?
    Toasters toasters everywhere, but not a drop to drink...but if we were to take a sip it'd taste like indian ink.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Phantasialand | Wooden Roller Coaster: Megaphobia | Steel Roller Coaster: Winjas

Double Dutch
    Oh my god! Steve, please tell me you're joking 'bout the old Corkscrew. I love that good old piece of Dutch engineering.. truly a magnificent ride!
    Dutch Coastin' :: New: La Via Volta Commercial!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: De Efteling | Wooden Roller Coaster: Robin Hood | Steel Roller Coaster: Expedition GeForce

International Playboy Steve Batchelor's Avatar
    :rolleyes:

I think Frank has bumped his head again.

Seriously though, it must be getting to the end of its life, last November there were so many people complaining that they must be looking to do something with it. Turn it into bean-tins and razor blades is what I say.
    Thrillnetwork.com Moderator
    (Formerly Steve-in-London)
    'Strike me down and I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine...'
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Universal's Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider, Gwazi | Steel Roller Coaster: Nemesis, Riddlers Revenge, Dragon Khan

I love rough woodys but when a steel coaster gets rough ie Shockwave, its time to build a bunch of new cars.
    Intimidator 305 the tallest, most hated coaster nobody has ridden...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

I LOVE rough coasters. Here is a list of the rough coasters I enjoy.

Viper
    Psychlone
    Corkscrew
    Mantis
    Blue Streak
    Georgia Cyclone
    Manhattan Express
    Any Wild Mouse Coaster that is insane on the corners
    ROAR
    Joker's Jinx

I'm sure there are more, but this is all I can think of for the moment.

PS: I don't like Mean Streak because it's boring.

Minetrain Poster
    the mantis seemed to be a lot rougher when it first opened , i think they put trims on the first drop after ppl complained about the ride hurting theyre legs .... and of course i liked it better back then:D

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by tiger5181125 [/i]
    [B]the mantis seemed to be a lot rougher when it first opened , i think they put trims on the first drop after ppl complained about the ride hurting theyre legs .... and of course i liked it better back then:D [/B][/QUOTE]

I went to CP the very last day of operation two years ago. I don't know if they do this every year, but they turned off all trims. Mantis had no trims as well as Magnum and Raptor. It was unbelievable! The best trip I have ever had to CP.

I agree with you Steve Batchelor-Boy, Corkscrew at Alton Towers is horrible and it always hurts my shoulders and gives me a headache.

The Wild Mouse in Blackpool has to be the most brutal coaster I've ever ridden but I still love it.

Double Dutch
    Lol. Steve, why do you keep saying I bumped my head? I might have been once too many on Corkscrew, but the doctor said the brain-damage was minimal!

When I visited Alton Towers in May, last year, the ride didn't seem to be all that rough. Sure, it looked absolutely frightening from the outside, but the ride itself wasn't all that bad. It is an old coaster though, and I wouldn't be surprised if they use it to create some lovely pins and key chains as merchandising for their 2005 woodie. :)
    Dutch Coastin' :: New: La Via Volta Commercial!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: De Efteling | Wooden Roller Coaster: Robin Hood | Steel Roller Coaster: Expedition GeForce

Strata Poster
    I like rough wooden coasters til the point they become painful like Mean Streak. I loved The Beast at PKI mainly because it gave that wild, rough, out of control experience.

Favorites: Amusement Park: EPCOT Center | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Top Thrill Dragster

Its Been Awhile jimmycoasterman's Avatar
    well, often rough rides are fun, but often people are right.
    a lot of people think the cyclone, ninja, and even GASM at SFOG are rough, although now GASM is much smoother after offseason changes. people are right about ninja, but if you even catch a smooth ride after it rains, its a totally different ride. people complain about cyclone, but i love it.
    Internet, internet how do you do, I want to sing and type with you
    J-I-M-M-Y...Its ALIVE
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Georgia Cyclone | Steel Roller Coaster: Kraken

Not a roller coaster, but dudley do right ripsaw... now that ride's broken a few tailbones on unsuspecting riders.

And has since added handrails or something within the flumes. Someone who's been on it recently can attest to that.

Breaking tailbones, now that's some airtime!

I enjoy rough coasters unless their really bad or boring.

My whole family complains about Shivering Timbers roughness but i think it helps you relize the pleafulness of the airtime. I also enjoyed Mantice, Jokers Jinks (although i didn't find it rough), Blue Streak, Viper @ SFGAmer., and (don't let me say it) Mind Eraser. No really it wasn't half bad. Well it's not in my top 25 but it still wasn't TOO bad.

oh ya, Wildcat @ Hershey too, i LOVE that one. :)
    Ne- RCT to the Max- http://www.nedesigns.com
    "What's so Civil about war anyway?"- Guns N' Roses
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

I don't ride steel coasters again if they are rough, I'll ride the woodies again. But I always ride a coaster at least once, to see what it's like. Regardless of what popular opinion is of the ride.

Example, if you're ever at SFOG stay away from Ninja unless you want a SERIOUS headache!!!

Reworking of the rides has worked on some, like Flight of Fear, used to be a horrible head-banger, but now they've changed the restraints, and I love it!

I think some of the appeal of woodies is the rough ride aspect of it. It kind of makes you feel like it's "out of control" and dangerous. Of course we know they are not.

Speaking of rough rides being smoothed out, CP has done some great reworking on Mean Streak! I rode it for the first time in 1999, and it was so uncomfortable!!!! But I rode it in 2002 and loved it! It was running fast and smooth.

And in response to the comment about Cyclone (SFOG) I don't totally agree that it's rough. I don't sit on the back for that coaster though. It does beat you up a bit back there. But it's still my #3 Woodie! Woo hoo!
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313 ** Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten

Vote For Royaland of NASCAR in the 2014 Coaster Draft!

Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

thunder road at Paramount Carowinds is really rough and thats why i love it:D

Okay, you people are all wrong!!! Ninja at SFOG isn't rough! You just have to make sure that you keep you head against the headrest, and you will be fine. As for GA Cylone, who ever thinks that ride is rough is crazy. And, BGW freak, I actually find the back seat the best. It's such a good coaster with EXTREME airtime. Come to think of it, I have never found a coaster too rough to not ride it, with my limited experience. Then, of course, there was GASM at SFOG at the end of last year, but they fixed it so it doesnt' count.
    LINKIN PARK IS A ROLLER COASTER!!!!
    LINKIN PARK IS A ROOOOOOLER COASTER!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Georgia Cyclone | Steel Roller Coaster: TTD and MF

The best "rough" coaster i've ever been on is the Comet at Great Escape in upstate NY. It gives your ribs and back a very bad beating, especially in the back. It remains one of my favorite wooden coasters because of the sense of speed and the steep drops. Rolling Thunder on the other hand, is just as painful and about half as fun.
    Steel: 1. Millenium Force 2. Alpengeist 3. Nitro

Wood: 1. The Comet(Great Escape) 2. Coney Island Cyclone 3. Lightning Racer
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Comet- Great Escape | Steel Roller Coaster: Nitro- Six Flags Great Adventure

ninjas rough and so is Gcyclone.how about the majority of boomerangs or for that matter Vekoma-SLC's

Rolling Thunder at Six Flags Great Adventure is down right scary and not in the good way in my opinion. We got stuck on the lift and felt it fall a foor or 2 back, just enough to get you thinking that maybe when they say you can't fall back, you can.
    Then around the turns the train feels like its barely holding on and its screeching like its going to fall off any minute. I've been on my fair share of coasters both wooden and old, this was the worst.
    The whole ride is extremely rough.
    And my nephew came out with a metal speck in his eye. Not bad enough that he was bleeding, but bad enough that we couldn't wash it out but had to pull it out.
    For the first time I will not get on a particular rollercoaster again. The metal shard sealed that...

Cedar Creek Mine Ride at CP - now, I've been riding this coaster since it opened. I also used to grade papers on the ride (when we took the 8th grade there for their class trip). Now, it seems a bit bumpy. I know it's kind of a whimpy ride, but when you can experience something like Adventure Express at PKI and feel how smooth a "mine train" coaster can be - or even Gemini at CP for that matter - you start to think if the CCMR has seen its day.

Let gravity do the work.
    The most "brutal" coasters I've done would have to be Desperado and Raging Wolf Bobs.

Desperado is the pain of a Togo/Arrow old school looping coaster infused into a non-looping lap-bar hypercoaster! What in the name of! Completely took me off guard and by surprise. The bad kind of surprise...

And Raging Wolf Bobs...it literallly felt as if the guide wheels were half a foot from touching the lateral track. It tumbled me around violently, was too slow to be thrilling, but fast enough to induce painful maneuvers. The vibrations throughout the ride were unbearable...something akin to sitting into a chair and having someone hold the backrest and rattle it violently.
    Last edited by Chris L; 05-25-2003 at 01:26 AM.

Banned
    If you like rough coasters the thunderbolt at Dreamworld is the roughest coaster i have ever been on. It is like 30 years old all the track is rusted. The loops are horrible because of the over sholder restraints. When you do a sharp turn at 60mp/h and is is not banked it really does hurt your heck/head/ears

Suspended Poster
    My most painful rides have come on Psyclone (SFMM) and Predator (SFDL). After a few rides on Predator a couple of years ago we were referring to it as Punisher.

Well for rough or brutal rides that i DON'T like there are:
    Two Face -TFS
    Wolverene Wildcat @ Michigans Adventure
    and
    uuuuhhhh.....

I can't think of any others.
    Ne- RCT to the Max- http://www.nedesigns.com
    "What's so Civil about war anyway?"- Guns N' Roses
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

I enjoy rough coasters as well as the smooth ones. I always expect woodies to be a bit rough--it wouldn't be as much fun for me otherwise. SOB is my favorite in that category--despite the occasional headache.
    captain underpants--fighting for all that is preshrunk and cottony...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: son of beast | Steel Roller Coaster: apollo's chariot

you want brutal and rough rides? Ride Thunder River here at SFAW. Talk about pelvis buster. All that ride does is just bruise you and gets your pants wet. (if you are lucky). Another harmful ride is Serpent at SFAW! it actually is pretty rough. It just tosses you around!
    ThrillNetwork Editor (past tense: lectricShark)
    Never forget justice is what love looks like in public. -- OXFAM

And in the end we lie awake and we dream of making our escape.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags AstroWorld or Six Flags Over Texas. | Wooden Roller Coaster: Texas Cyclone (RIP). | Steel Roller Coaster: Titan.

Let me just say that SOB is one heck of an SOB. Terrible ride. . .That's all i have to say about that. Then again, I voiced my opinion on SOB a while back and got slammed for it.
    "Ok, fat ***, we've just traveled 2,460 miles just for a little Roy Wally entertainment. The moose says you're closed. I say you're open!"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Mystery Mine

Minetrain Poster
    Here's one PAINFUL ride for ya all: Excalibur at VF. 100 Feet from footing to top...105 foot drop into a crevas. Even with brakes at the top of the lift hill, this thing throws you around like a rag doll. One can easily ride this thing 5 times in a row within the coarse of 45 minutes due to NO LINES!
    Airtime. It does a body good.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Valleyfair | Steel Roller Coaster: Wild Thing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast