Thread: Ed Markey At It Again...

Ed Markey At It Again...

Representative Edward Markey (D-MA) has once again introduced ride safety legislation in the U.S. Congress which would restore jurisdiction of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) over amusement park rides. The bill would close a loophole in the Consumer Product Safety Act that prevents investigations of accidents in theme parks by federal safety experts, prevents safety upgrades by the CPSC, and prevents the adoption of a national clearinghouse of safety information that could potentially save lives.
    Theme park rides had been subject to federal safety regulation by the CPSC prior to 1981, when the amusement park industry succeeded in carving out a special-interest political exemption in the law -- the so-called "Roller Coaster Loophole."

"Every other consumer product affecting interstate commerce -- a bicycle or a baby carriage, for example -- endures CPSC oversight," Markey noted.

"But the theme park industry acts as if its commercial success depends on remaining exempt from reasonable safety regulation. As a result, when a child is injured on a defective bicycle, the CPSC can prevent similar accidents by ensuring that the defect is repaired. If that same child has an accident on a faulty roller coaster, no CPSC investigation is allowed. That's just plain wrong. Fifty-five fatalities have occurred on amusement park rides in the last 15 years, and over two-thirds occur on 'fixed-site' rides in our theme parks."

Thoughts? And how about some thoughtful thoughts? None of this Markey's an idiot...maybe he is, but he has his heart in the right place. It's just not beating right.:)

Does it just say that there can be federal investigation or does it put limits on size, g-force, length etc.?
    Ne- RCT to the Max- http://www.nedesigns.com
    "What's so Civil about war anyway?"- Guns N' Roses
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

All I hope is that this will only change things when entropy happens. I mean, the parks already need to keep their rides safe. If the rides aren't safe, then the parks have bad publicity.
    If there ain't air, I ain't there.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebel's Wooden Roller Coaster: Hersheypark Wildcat; 1996-2001; 2003-present

that bastard is at it agin :usa: :eek:
    Last edited by semsskaterboy; 05-24-2003 at 01:41 PM.

Bastard or not, he does deserve some respect.

Semsskater, how many times has your train of thought derailed since you joined these boards??

Regarding Markey...I never bothered to get familiar with him or what he is going after, so I pretty much stay out of it, politics are NOT my strong point.
    Ask me why I say Banshee is NOT the new Kings Island coaster.
    Be sure to check out Speedzone as I have made 11 additions.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, circa 1989 | Wooden Roller Coaster: Blue Streak (CP) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (CP), never been on Drachen Fire

What markey doesnt see is that unlike tons of bicycles that can be recalled, there isnt something that is a "faulty roller coaster." What is the last coaster that killed people more than once? Sure, accidents happen. But if a kid falls off that bicycle and dies, it isnt because of the bike. I know that the FDA takes care of meat and stuff, but you have a very more likely chance of food poisoning which could result in rather grisly deaths than dying on a coaster. Read "Fast Food Nation" and you'll get a better understanding of what I mean. They have workers in slaughter houses standing inches from eachother with knives in hand slicing up meat. If a worker gets amputated accidentally, you keep on working. This is so more orders will be finished quicker. It is all driven by greed. I do think that should be regulated. The problem with regulating coasters is that it is doubtful the coaster companies are producing these coasters without testing just to get money. You see, it is almost impossible to tell who a certain meat comes from, much less which slaughter house. With a coaster company, you know. There are only so many, and we'd know who it was just by looking at the track style. So do i think coasters should be regulated? Not really. What i was explaining with that meat thing is that there are things out there that are hurting more people everyday, yet nothing can be done about it. I'd go into more detail about the meat industry, but it would be pointless.
    New address, new forums, better ePirate -- Gopirate.net.

I love Sidecar on Mainstreet!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Accidents at amusement parks, except very serious ones, are covered up, that's too bad. Try to get a safety report from CP of SF. I think that this may be what we are looking at.

The differance is where the blame lies, with the park or the rider. If it's the park--then the addition safety benifits us all.
    kermat13
    For President 2016
    I'm kermat13 and I approve this message.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: toss up---Cedar Point or Kings Island. | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderbolt | Steel Roller Coaster: Raptor

Corkscrew Poster radioactiveduck's Avatar
    This time he isn't being too outlandish. And if I may say so, the g-force limits that New Jersey put into effect were quite lenient.
    It's a signature. Woopdy Doo. Whatever.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: DisneyLand | Wooden Roller Coaster: GhostRider@KBF | Steel Roller Coaster: Batman, Scream!, and Goliath@SFMM

They arent very lenient if you want any Schwarzkopf that has an inversion in it. And most businesses cover up injuries, at least to the public. A bad image is a bad thing. I'll use the meat people as an example again. For the Employee Health and Safety Commision or whatever it is called, slaughter houses had an injury log of maybe 20 people with minor injuries. When they were investigated, they found another log in offices at the house with over 200 people, with injuries such as amputated legs and arms and chemical burns. And dont quote me on those numbers, they could be very wrong. Ok, I'll stop using the meat packing industry as an example. They might not like that. Just making my point.
    New address, new forums, better ePirate -- Gopirate.net.

I love Sidecar on Mainstreet!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

He's a congressman. You can't do anything about him unless you live in his district, get over it.
    Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan.

No clue who the guy pictured in my avatar is, but its a great picture nonetheless!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Colossos | Steel Roller Coaster: Kumba