Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thunderhead!

Dollywood getting a GCI

Dollywood is building a GCI woddie for 2004 called Thunderhead. Read more [URL=http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/**_headline.cgi?&story_file=bw.062603/231775382&directory=/google&header_file=header.htm&footer_file]here.[/URL]
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    Favorites: Amusement Park: BGW | Wooden Roller Coaster: Rampage | Steel Roller Coaster: Superman:Ride of Steel (SFA)

Kissimmee Skycoaster Poster Intamin42's Avatar
    What's a fly-through station?
    Quote Originally Posted by Montu Man
    That's gonna be some BIG vibrators...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Lightning Racer | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

[url]http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery1076.htm?Picture=8[/url]

That, is a fly through station (This barrel roll is taken just above the station track)
    So despite what the article says, it won't be a "world's only" feature.

However, it does sound like an awesome ride.
    MOTHERLAND ERROR TILT WOK
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Rebel Yell | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

^ Cool! It's one of those Intamin inverts. Drools.

As for Thunderhead it sounds like just the thing for Dollywood. They must be happy with the Ozark Wildcat because the same people run Dollywood as Celebration City and Silver Doller City, Right?
    Ne- RCT to the Max- http://www.nedesigns.com
    "What's so Civil about war anyway?"- Guns N' Roses
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

They can say world's only "wooden" fly through station lol. I'm glad GCI is getting more rides being built. Their designs are awesome and so are the MF. I can't wait to see the layout of this ride.
    "Cedar Point has a wide variety of wooden coasters" - Discovery Channel
    Favorites: Amusement Park: CP | Wooden Roller Coaster: Legend | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

I hope it's powerful like Wildcat @ Hersheypark not kinda weak like Lightning Racer.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ride6 [/i]
    [B]I hope it's powerful like Wildcat @ Hersheypark not kinda weak like Lightning Racer. [/B][/QUOTE]

Unfortunately based on previous coasters using the Millennium Flyers it will probobly be more like Lightning Racer.

It will still be good. And having the coaster come back through the station going probably 30mph will be cool.
    New address, new forums, better ePirate -- Gopirate.net.

I love Sidecar on Mainstreet!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

ya but Wildcat is sooooo kick @$$. I can't decide if i like it or LR better. But i'll say that if LR wasn't a racer it wouldn't a contest.

oh well...

Cool, right as I leave TN Dollywood gets a new coaster. Oh well, just my luck. I can still come home and ride it.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    Favorites: | Wooden Roller Coaster: Great American Scream Machine | Steel Roller Coaster: Tennessee Tornado

Awesome news...I heard Dollywood is a great park, and now to have 2 awesome coasters, it will really be worth the trip next year!
    See the sights on my site, AmusementPics.com!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags over Georgia | Wooden Roller Coaster: Lightning Racer | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

This sounds awesome!!! All the more reason to drag my parents up there for a day!!!
    LINKIN PARK IS A ROLLER COASTER!!!!
    LINKIN PARK IS A ROOOOOOLER COASTER!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Georgia Cyclone | Steel Roller Coaster: TTD and MF

Anyone got the guts to e-mail the PR guy for the Artist's Rendering? Maybe one of the ThrillNetwork honchos, hint hint nudge nudge? I bet they'd get a better response than the average curious fanboy/fangal. =D

Darn those Millennium Flyer trains! Look great, smooth as silk, but no airtime to be found.
    "Yeah, that's what I want in a roller coaster. Seniority." - Dennis Miller, referring to Leap The Dips
    Favorites: | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: S:RoS at SFNE

I doubt I can convince my parents to go back to Dollywood. They didn't particularly like the park nor did I (Aimed more at kids). The new coaster does sound promising though. Hopefully the coaster will race through the trees and make the expierence even better.
    Last edited by BGTKing; 06-28-2003 at 12:17 PM.
    BGTGuide | SSCoasters | Cheetah Hunt
    Favorites: Amusement Park: BGT | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Minetrain Poster
    Glad to see that GCI is coming back with what looks like a strong coasters

AS for those of you who were saying that coasters with MF trains were "weak", what about ROAR?
    Last edited by mikepierson; 06-28-2003 at 12:44 PM.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by mikepierson [/i]
    [B]AS for those of you who were saying that coasters with MF trains were "weak", what about ROAR? [/B][/QUOTE]

Roar at SFA is a wicked fun machine and one of my fave rides, but it's running PTC trains like Wildcat. Anyone been on both Roars to compare/contrast them? I envision the Marine World Roar as running smooth and quick like Lightning Racer.
    "Yeah, that's what I want in a roller coaster. Seniority." - Dennis Miller, referring to Leap The Dips
    Favorites: | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: S:RoS at SFNE

Yeah, shes awesome...JUST DEAL slipknot8527's Avatar
    Yes yes yes yes yes! I have never ridden a GCI or a CCI and have only ridden 6 wooden coasters in my life...first visionland gets that badass woodie, now a GCI! And now i can go to Dollywood!
    HANNAH MONTANA!!!!!!!!!
    TAKING THE WORLD BY STORM!!!!!
    "I'm living proof....THAT GIRLS CAN ROCK!!!!!!"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Great American Scream Machine | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

Awesome news!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by GAcoasterguy [/i]
    [B]Awesome news...I heard Dollywood is a great park, and now to have 2 awesome coasters, it will really be worth the trip next year! [/B][/QUOTE]

Well I wouldn't call Blazing Fury awesome, but it's ok. TT though is a great looper. I loved it.

The park is one of the most beautiful parks I've been to.

This is awesome news, way to go Dollywood!
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Minetrain Poster

Thunderhead!

Sounds like this is going to be a great addition to America's Wooden coasters...sounds like a great theme, that is functional...but one question, does anyone know what this "fly-through" station is? Did i miss the memo? First of it's kind? What's goin' on? Some one set the record straight. :)
    I heart Roller Coasters
    Favorites: Amusement Park: SFMM | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider KBF, Roar SFMW, Colossus SFMM | Steel Roller Coaster: Medusa, SFMW, Goliath SFMM

International Playboy Steve Batchelor's Avatar
    Merging with other Thunderhead thread.
    Thrillnetwork.com Moderator
    (Formerly Steve-in-London)
    'Strike me down and I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine...'
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Universal's Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider, Gwazi | Steel Roller Coaster: Nemesis, Riddlers Revenge, Dragon Khan

I'm glad to see that SDC is startin to go wooden with the Ozark Wildcat and Thunderhead. I hope SDC gets a wooden coaster sometime, i'm a lot closer to SDC then Dollywood.
    Ruler of TN's Darkside
    Hell is truth seen to late
    R.I.P.-Orient Express
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Timberwolf | Steel Roller Coaster: Dueling Dragons- Both kick ass!!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dave [/i]
    [B][url]http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery1076.htm?Picture=8[/url]

That, is a fly through station (This barrel roll is taken just above the station track)
    So despite what the article says, it won't be a "world's only" feature.

However, it does sound like an awesome ride. [/B][/QUOTE]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that is just a zero-g roll that is just built in a tunnel. At least thats what I remember seeing and hearing while they were building it.

Either way, the fly through sounds pretty cool and I congradulate DW on what sounds like is going to be an awesome coaster. I can't wait to ride it!
    Let's play Good Idea/Bad Idea...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure, Dollywood, Kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead, Hades, Avalanche, Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: Phantom's Revenge, Goliath (SFOG), Kraken

You can check out Tornado on badnitrus. And Lancelot-isnt Celebration City right next to SDC?
    New address, new forums, better ePirate -- Gopirate.net.

I love Sidecar on Mainstreet!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Thrill Rider, the zero-g roll on Tornado does go through the station. I believe that it is just above the station track.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Georgia Cyclone | Steel Roller Coaster: TTD and MF

New Mexico Rattler Poster BryanWood's Avatar
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ride6 [/i]
    [B]I hope it's powerful like Wildcat @ Hersheypark not kinda weak like Lightning Racer. [/B][/QUOTE]

The only reason Lightning Racer is "weak" is because of those articulated Millenium Flyer trains. They take sharp turns much better. Believe it or not, LR is intense, it pulls 3.6 G's. It just doesn't feel that way with those ever-so-comfortable Millenium Flyer's.

I'm definitely looking forward to Thunderhead...a terrain GCI with Millenium Flyer's! ::drools uncontrolably...like Niagara Falls::
    Bryan Wood
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebel's, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage, Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath-SFoG, Phantom's Revenge

Their almost too comfortable in that case.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by coasterguy1 [/i]
    [B]You can check out Tornado on badnitrus. And Lancelot-isnt Celebration City right next to SDC? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yea, but SDC is a hella lot better than CC. I just want wildcat and wildfire in the same park. Then you could only pay the SDC admission instead of paying the SDC and CC admission.
    Ruler of TN's Darkside
    Hell is truth seen to late
    R.I.P.-Orient Express
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Timberwolf | Steel Roller Coaster: Dueling Dragons- Both kick ass!!

I don't think anyone's posted this yet, but RCDB has posted an update to Dollywood stating that this is a confirmed coaster for next year. [url]http://www.rcdb.com/installationdetail2451.htm[/url]

They also explain what is meant by "Fly-through" station.

And they do state they will be Millennium Flyer Trains.

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

If the coaster was only 8 feet above the exit ramp, won't people be able to jump up and touch the track? I mean, I have the least amount of ups possible by a human being, and I can still easily touch 8 feet without a problem. Then, I suppose they could put ply wood or something up there to keep people from doing that, but then it seems like it would kind of eliminate the purpose.

Yeah I was kind of wondering the same thing. I guess we'll have to wait for construction pics or until we can ride it to figure it out.

The only thing I can think of is on Roar at SFA, where they have that wicked "open tunnel" thing, where the track twists and it's all covered, but it's not quite a tunnel.

I think it will probably be something minor when we finally see it, and it was just a bunch of PR so that DW would get some press time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast