Thread: Roller Coaster Themes By Year

Roller Coaster Themes By Year

This is wierd but there seems to be a general theme for certain years in the coastering world. For example(s):

1994: Year of the British Coaster (Nemisis, Big One and Shockwave...)

1999: The year of the hypercoaster (B&M (AC and Raging Bull)and Intamin (S-ROS, SFDL) enter the game)

2000: The Rush for height and speed (hieght & speed record broken 3 times in 6 months with Golieth, MF and then Steel Dragon 2000)
    Ne- RCT to the Max- http://www.nedesigns.com
    "What's so Civil about war anyway?"- Guns N' Roses
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Uhhh....those are kind of stretching it. The States had some pretty major rides built in '94 such as Raptor and Desparado. '99 can't really be called the year of the hypercoaster. That was a huge year in general. I believe we had 61 coasters built in the U.S. that year so of course you're going to have a few hypers in there.
    Let's play Good Idea/Bad Idea...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure, Dollywood, Kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead, Hades, Avalanche, Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: Phantom's Revenge, Goliath (SFOG), Kraken

I'm talking major developements not just the fact that 7 more boomerangs went up.... Those were all important developements. And i forgot about Desparado but from what has been said it's a crappy ride anyway. The real developement was in Britain in 1994!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

That is sorta interesting. I guess you could say 2001 was the prototype year (X, Deja, Hypersonic, flyers). I'm sure I missed a few, but whatever.
    "Cedar Point has a wide variety of wooden coasters" - Discovery Channel
    Favorites: Amusement Park: CP | Wooden Roller Coaster: Legend | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

good point, although Stealth depuded in 2000...

I was talking about X-Flight and Batwing ride6. They were prototype enough lol. Oh yeah, when did Perilous Plunge open? That was a prototype, and I think it might have been built in 01 too.
    "Cedar Point has a wide variety of wooden coasters" - Discovery Channel
    Favorites: Amusement Park: CP | Wooden Roller Coaster: Legend | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

I understand... 2002 was pretty prototype-y too with B&M getting their flyers runn'n and Intamin opening Xcellerator!

Re: Roller Coaster Themes By Year

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ride6 [/i]
    [B]This is wierd but there seems to be a general theme for certain years in the coastering world. For example(s):

1994: Year of the British Coaster (Nemisis, Big One and Shockwave...)

1999: The year of the hypercoaster (B&M (AC and Raging Bull)and Intamin (S-ROS, SFDL) enter the game)

2000: The Rush for height and speed (hieght & speed record broken 3 times in 6 months with Golieth, MF and then Steel Dragon 2000) [/B][/QUOTE] Goliath had the record for speed and drop, but never had the record for height. That would have to be Fujiyama at 259' 2", built in 1996. [url]http://www.rcdb.com/quicksearch.htm?quicksearch=fujiyama[/url]
    LINKIN PARK IS A ROLLER COASTER!!!!
    LINKIN PARK IS A ROOOOOOLER COASTER!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Georgia Cyclone | Steel Roller Coaster: TTD and MF

Let gravity do the work.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Atrace [/i]
    [B]I was talking about X-Flight and Batwing ride6. They were prototype enough lol. Oh yeah, when did Perilous Plunge open? That was a prototype, and I think it might have been built in 01 too. [/B][/QUOTE]

Perilous Plunge was a 2000 ride. That would also "fit in" with that year's theme with simply breaking height records. Except with this one, it's with water flumes :p :D

Another one - the year of the Floorless coaster was 2000. That year, we saw a boom of them - Superman Krypton Coaster, Kraken, Batman Knight Flight, and Medusa West.
    Last edited by Chris L; 08-09-2003 at 08:10 PM.

I think that 2003 should be the year of "ride6's non-existant trends".

It's true.... ever wonder why i don't post threads very often unless it has to do with rct.... ummm THIS^... it's called lack of repect. The saddest part is that he's right though.