Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cedar Point making way for more room?

Cedar Point making way for more room?

As you all know if you've been there, Cedar Point is land crunching. Everytime they add a new ride, they must move or remove a ride and they tend to share the same area of land. This is a good thing anyways, makes walking to other rides less of a walk.

Well anyways, I have heard recently that they might be tearing up the parking lot adding all that extra space....which I believe would add about 33% more?

The new parking lot would be on the mainland somewhere and a monorail system would transport people from the parking lot to the park. (This system might have stations to the hotels and campground possibly too). I'd imagine if this is true, you probably won't see it happen until 2008.

We've disscussed this possability before but determined that it probably wouldn't happen for a large number of years. Now the parking lot will have to move someday but not today.

Cedar Point isn't nearly as desprite for space as Blackpool Pleasure Beach in Britian or Indian Beach over here state-side so they can continue to increase their ride count even in their current situation. The other way they could get more space is to buid a peir. Don't lauph about it either, Indiana Beach has a peir and it makes for a wonderful atmosphere. No matter what they do Cedar Point does need more room.
    Ne- RCT to the Max- http://www.nedesigns.com
    "What's so Civil about war anyway?"- Guns N' Roses
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

They could make a parking garage as well as a pier to add more space.

Intimidating Poster! Carowinds 73-03's Avatar
    A parking deck. Now there's a good idea. That would give CP lost of extra space.

The Sandusky Airport will be for sale very soon. CP has been after the owner to sell for years.

The Electronics Guru
    Cedar Point does not own the land under the water to build a pier. This is not an option. A parking garage or off point parking are very unlikly.
    If anything, second level might be built in the parking lot and formed into a hill with some parking underneath. It's done at a local mall which looks pretty much like a parking lot on a hill with a tunnel going through it. There is room for one, maybe two more massive roller coastrers without major modifications or ride interation.

I'm the good looking one Steven's Avatar
    The airport won't change just because of a land crunch. CP execs do use that airport.

Despite what others say, they still have land to spare. With the removal or relocating of rides, Cedar Point can still fit in some more stuff.

It has been discussed numerous times, but I don't know how they are going to easily build a monorail for offsite parking unless they get rid of a lot of other nearby stuff on the mainland, plus such a plan would definately cost a lot more than their last 4-6 major rides combined (seeing that they are on some rather expensive waterfront).
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

Have you seen the mainlan there, eah there isn't much to it. A 1970's mall with very few stores, old houses a closed shopping cpmlex. Cedar Point could expand to the mainland but i don't see it happening for a long time. I think the can still squeeze in a few more good rides. And if they remove a coaster then they can easily do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    .....plus such a plan would definately cost a lot more than their last 4-6 major rides combined (seeing that they are on some rather expensive waterfront).
    Wouldn't a monorail system and a parking lot on the mainland since land there couldn't be too expensive by how run down some areas are be about 40 million to create? If so, they just need to wait 4 years without building anything major. The downfall would be 4 years behind the times.

Sure, I believe you.

And, I have some land down here in the Everglades to sell you. How do you propose that hotel guests and campers will get to the resort? Will there be an RV monorail?
    Working here is like an amusement park! There's excitement! There's challenge...and it will often make you sick.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Epcot Center (no coasters...go figure!) | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

There can still be road back ther! Duh. They can just extend it to the main road. I think thats a great idea! It will give them a lot of space. Now, i am wondering what they will put in there space!
    I just really hope that you think of me, because I'm tryna be unforgettable...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point -- Islands Of Adventure -- Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200 & Phantom's Revenge

As a future Cedar Point Employee for the 2004 season I can assure you nothing...

But I will say this, the monorail rumor has existed since 2001, and I remember hearing that it would be built in 2005. That's only from what I remember from back then because I couldn't wait until 2005. Now of course things change since then, it could be pushed back, or the concept could be tossed, but it would be of great use to guest and employees. Plus PP could be reliable, as in Coastermania they mentioned that plans for TTD where made almost immediately after Millennium Force was opened in 2000.
    '11 Area Supervisor, Merch & Games, Michigan's Adventure '10 Area Supervisor, Games, Michigan's Adventure
    '09 Area Supervisor, Merch, Michigan's Adventure '08 Area Supervisor, Merch, Six Flags Over Texas
    '07 Area Supervisor, Merch, Cedar Point '06 Ride Operator, Batman:TR, SFGAM
    '05 Front Desk, Disney's BoardWalk Inn & Villas, WDW '04 Sales Associate, Merchandise, CP
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebels | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

New Mexico Rattler Poster BryanWood's Avatar
    When will people ever shut up about the space situation at Cedar Point?

I could imagine the headaches of trying to get out of a parking deck at CP after the park closes. It's bad enough at the U of Akron....
    Bryan Wood
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebel's, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage, Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath-SFoG, Phantom's Revenge

Well, that is true. Maybe then could build them a couple of storys less. But hey, they do it @ IOA. But thats different I guess. Anywho- I think that they could get it done fast enought- they have some good traffic control people there!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point -- Islands Of Adventure -- Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200 & Phantom's Revenge

Intimidating Poster! Carowinds 73-03's Avatar
    I diden't even think about that, A parking deck would be a nightmare after closeing. I would either leave aerly or just no got to CP to avoid the parking deck. Not a good idea for a major park.

Thats so true! I guess all thats left it get ride of the parking lot in whole, then add a new one off site, then get the monorail in also, and do it with that! Man, think of all of the coasters that would be added! We could see another MF, just 400 or even 500 ft tall! WOW!!!!

Banned
    I first heard the "expanding into the parking lot" rumor in the early 90's. Guess what? It hasn't happened. People said back then that CP was running out of room. Have they? No. Cedar Point just became more efficient with the land they do have---like taking out redundant flume rides and putting in Raptor---like blocking off the moat and putting in TTD---like taking out the redundant antique cars and putting in a B&M flying coaster for 2005 (shhhhh...!).

Look at the major coasters that CP has built in the last 15 years or so. Magnum takes up very little room---only the station and a little portion of track is in the park. Raptor and Mantis are both very compact. Millennium Force also doesn't take up much room---designed perfectly. Wicked Twister??? barely anything. Not even TTD takes up much room. The only coaster that takes up a significant amount of land is Mean Streak. MS is tucked away nicely in the very back of the park, so it's not like CP shot themselves in the foot.

I wish I had saved an aerial picture of CP---shows how much room CP does in fact have.

They do have alot of room, but it can only last so long. Once they get all of these coasters that they can get in every little corner, then there going to have to do something about it. And its not like there going to do it tomorrow. Later, like 5-10 years at the earliest.

Banned
    If Cedar Point was really concerned about running out of room, then they wouldn't have expanded Lighthouse Point.

I doubt land will be as big a factor as income generated vs expense/maintenance of the new coasters.

A parking deck would be a bad idea for a major amusement park? Tell that to the folks at Universal in Florida. Everyone parks in a deck down there. The biggest parking deck in the world by the way. Then, go out to Disneyland in California and check out the decks there that were built to make way for California Adventure.

That said, the monorail rumor for CP goes back a lot further than the 90's. It is just some wishful thinking.
    Working here is like an amusement park! There's excitement! There's challenge...and it will often make you sick.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Epcot Center (no coasters...go figure!) | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

Editor, Moderator, etc.
    I agree that the redundant antique cars will probably go, as might the other car ride (yeah it's different, but if land is eventually needed I can see moving Calypso and getting rid of the car ride to use that area as well).
    The Point really isn't running out of space. The pathways are still huge (in some places they could be condensed or more rides could be installed in teh middle of areas on the main midway).
    But if the parking off the peninsula thing weren't pure bonk, they *could* have a parking garage off the point and it *wouldn't* get completely jammed up at closing. Why? Well, if people had to take a monorail back to the garage, then there would only be a few monorails worth of cars leaving at any one time. I'd hate to see the line ot get on the monorail and go back though (maybe walking would be an option?)
    To have parking off the peninsula they'd also have to put in new lockers since people could no longer go back to their cars to get stuff as easily. Plus I'd be kinda peeved if I *had* to buy food in park if I didn't want to take a monorail trip to my car. I usually just buy the cheese fries anyway (okay now I'm hungry) but i like the option of using my car as a big free locker whenever I want to.

Make a parking lot on the main land and have a big ferrie boat take you over. Space is an issue, thats why there camp ground sucks. Its more or less camping in a mall parking lot.

Someone wanted an aerial view. Here is one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cedarpointwhole2.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	10852  
    Last edited by rklesla; 01-15-2004 at 02:15 PM.

From what I remember, CP has some land over near the museum that's not got anything. It's a nice wooded area. I don't think they're even near running out of space. Esecially for steel coasters. They can be built over top of anything.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Thats true. I have seen some coasters that i never thought could be built. But if you have too many coasters in one place and everywhere you look around you see one, then the park will loose its "CP" feel thats so unique, and I dont want that to happen.

Suspended Poster
    Cant really tell much from that aerial shot.

On another note a parking garage would be and AWFULL idea. I have spent morr than an hour getting from the cedar point parking lot to my hotel 2 miles away after the park closes on more than one occasion, I cant even imagine how hectec a parking garage could get.
    Pick it up!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL200

A garage would ruin the view of the lake as well (both on the lake, and from Cedar Point) I think it would be a bad idea.

I think eventually they will have to take out older rides to put in new ones. But not for another 15 years or so IMO

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

They should do something to mean streak like they did to steel phantom, leave the hill and make a different course.
    life sucks=ride a rollercoaster
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Lightning Racer | Steel Roller Coaster: Top Thrill Dragster

I doubt that they would do that. Why in the world does everybody want CP to change & take out MS? Its a great ride and there not doing anything to it! Period!

I don't understand it either. Mean Streak is great.

Mean streak takes up alot of space, its been slowed down, and it bangs you around. Which to some people I guess is fun.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast