Page 1 of 70 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: General Console Talk

Yeah, shes awesome...JUST DEAL slipknot8527's Avatar

General Console Talk

Nintendo unveiled the "Nintendo DS" and it will show it off at this years E3.

Its basically a dual screened portable system.....thats all that anyone knows right now...it comes out Christmas of this year...

hmmmm....

interesting...
    HANNAH MONTANA!!!!!!!!!
    TAKING THE WORLD BY STORM!!!!!
    "I'm living proof....THAT GIRLS CAN ROCK!!!!!!"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Great American Scream Machine | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

My first and still present thought is that they should've released a single portable system that plays GCN games as well as GBA games... basically a GameCube / GameBoy Player in one portable system. Instead they come up with this. I'm not sure what to make of it, but Nintendo has certainly earned the right for me to give them the benefit of the doubt.

It definitely has some valid uses in sports and strategy/RPG's. Think about playing Madden... one screen has the main gameplay screen and the other has the play calling / audibles / stats on it. In an RPG one has the overview of the world with inventory screen and the other has the current battle or something like that.

I'm interested to see if developers other than Nintendo actually support this though.

Yeh...I don't see software developers liking this very much. But I'm wrong often.
    nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope....couldn't think of anything
    Favorites: Amusement Park: BGW | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

What's a duel screened portable system? I have an idea but I'm probably wrong.

Just so it's not another virtual boy, it'll be just fine.
    Pleasantly missing since 2006
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Valleyfair | Steel Roller Coaster: Orient Express

Intimidating Poster! Carowinds 73-03's Avatar
    There already putting out a new system. Wow that was sudden. Does anyone have any pics?

Speaking of Portable systems, with a portable PS1 (dubbed the PSP) on the way, how much longer do you think we'll have to wait for a portable PS2....

Unless Nintendo has something magical...this could be yet another fizzle for them.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Worlds of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Batman Knight Flight

And of course by "yet another fizzle" you actually mean the first since Virtual Boy?

I thought so.

Carowinds 73-03 : It's not meant for the same market as GBA/SP or the GameCube. Iwata (president of Nintendo) claimed he would be happy if 10% of the gaming public understood what they were attempting. That seems about right, now that I've seen the announcement.

^ Oh please.

Nintendo has made some huge mistakes in the past. VB (great idea by the way), SupeNES, FamilyCOM (perhaps some one can set me straight on this), Dolphin has been developing since the dawn of time...and Game Cube is on its way out. All good systems, but they didn't last due to poor business decisions or bad timing.

GBA was a smart move sure, but with PSP coming, Sony could do to Nintendo Portable what they did to Nintendo 64. Like it or not, N64 on the business level was the underdog. I don't think Nintendo can afford another mistake like that, especially since they've been kicked out of the current race with Xbox and PS2.

Nintendo could very well end up like Sega, and Sega also had some dynamite systems that....fzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Last edited by darque; 01-21-2004 at 05:37 PM.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Worlds of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Batman Knight Flight

Strata Poster
    I don't know about this. It doesn't really seem like it would be that useful.

Favorites: Amusement Park: EPCOT Center | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Top Thrill Dragster

Zoom zoom.....
    Since when was Nintendo knocked out of the race with Xbox and PS2? It doesn't have an established online system but the games are still kickass. Nintendo should not go down if they keep up with Xbox and PS2 through the next consoles.

I doubt they will keep up with the upcoming counsoles. You have the best and most advanced gaming technology in the new PS3 and the XB:N. The new nintendo's Duel screen seems only like a simple controller or something compared to the PS and XB systems coming up.

Right. Obviously you're right. How could I forget that you are the chief developer of the PlayStation 3 and the next Xbox? Oh wait... you haven't played them yet? Hmm, your comments seem interesting to me. I would like to sign up for your newsletter.

As for the rest of the idiocy in this thread, I don't even know where to begin. Perhaps with the first statement that Nintendo has... oh I don't know... 8 BILLION WITH A B DOLLARS IN THE BANK. Man, how can they possibly survive another day. How about the FACT that the GameCube is now the #2 selling console in EVERY territory in the world... that seems like another good thing to say. The PlayStation Portable? You've played it right? I can go to the store and pick one up right now? I can talk to 100 million people in the world who have one in some form right? Oh sorry... that's the GameBoy I'm thinking about. Sorry about that.

Next let me examine this statement "Nintendo has made some huge mistakes in the past. VB (great idea by the way), SupeNES, FamilyCOM (perhaps some one can set me straight on this), Dolphin has been developing since the dawn of time...and Game Cube is on its way out. All good systems, but they didn't last due to poor business decisions or bad timing."

So what you're saying is that the most popular consoles in the history of the world were mistakes? Am I reading that right? You do know that the FamiCom is the Japanese name for the original NES right? It didn't by chance happen to sell 30 million consoles in the US alone did it? Oh it did? Hmm. Your statement becomes even more interesting now. Dolphin has been developing for ages? Uhh... last time I checked my GameCube I have been playing it for over 2 years now. Has it just been a long dream? You did know that Dolphin was the codename for GameCube right? No? Interesting. I suppose the only valid thing you said is that GameCube is on it's way out. After all, consoles don't stay around forever. Within 2-4 years, Nintendo will release their next console, so I'll cut you some slack on this one.

Maybe you're a comedian... that's about the only thing I can think of as your post was quite amusing.

Sure you can sign up at IKNOWEVERYTHING.com. Newsletter is full of interesting facts all about the gaming world and what currently comes out of my ass when I talk. Free of charge too

But in all honesty I can't see how Nintendo's new system can compete. I am a big nintendo fan but if I had my selection of the 3 new systems coming out, right in front of me, I would probably go with the Xbox:Next. Only because I was more happier with my xbox then any other system. Just my thoughts.

Honest to everyone. I think everyone knows I own a "Ownage PC for Games" and I love to get my gaming fix on the PC. To be honest, I would go for a Gamecube as my console over ANY other Console. Why? Because, Nintendo doesn't sell out ports or get ports. They make their own unique games. I would rather own a Gamecube than a Xbox or a PS2.

What I like about the Gamecube is that it sticks to what Nintendo knows best, fun games! While the other consoles are trying to get all fancy with these features like "Xbox Live, Klan Warz, Internal Hard Drives and LANing" Nintendo sticks to good ol games.

Why would I want a Gamecube? Easy. I get my "X-Treme Gaming Fix" on my PC for sure. It has everything and anything I want in terms of a kick ass gaming experience, the only thing I don't get on my PC? Classic Nintendo games like Mario Kart, Starfox, Smash Bros.

I think anyone saying Gamecube is overshadowed by Xbox and PS2 isn't looking deep enough. Xbox and PS2 are trying to immitate too much (Xbox the most). Xbox trys to do way too much in terms of step away from fun games. When really, I would buy a Xbox if they actually had some fun classic games, but no, they overload their system with PC ports and half the time these craptastic games that you've never even heard of. Crappy PC Port=CounterStrike. Crappy game you've never heard of=Azurick. Gamecube focus' on QUALITY games, one thing that for sure, shouldn't ever be forgotten. Even with these new "Do it all" consoles.
    Thornton to Heatley all day, every day.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Mean Streak | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

One thing I do agree with you guys on is that I don't see any particular market for this new DS device. Obviously Nintendo knows a lot more about gaming than I, so I'll be eagerly awaiting what turns up at E3 when they talk about it. In the meantime, the GBA continues to be the #1 selling game machine in the world, and the the GameCube is number 3 now (behind GBA and PS2). I don't think Nintendo has too much to worry about, and if they end up hitting a grand slam with this new device then they will have pretty much created a brand new market.

Quote Originally Posted by darque

Nintendo has made some huge mistakes in the past. VB (great idea by the way), SupeNES, FamilyCOM (perhaps some one can set me straight on this), Dolphin has been developing since the dawn of time...and Game Cube is on its way out. All good systems, but they didn't last due to poor business decisions or bad timing.

GBA was a smart move sure, but with PSP coming, Sony could do to Nintendo Portable what they did to Nintendo 64. Like it or not, N64 on the business level was the underdog. I don't think Nintendo can afford another mistake like that, especially since they've been kicked out of the current race with Xbox and PS2.

Nintendo could very well end up like Sega, and Sega also had some dynamite systems that....fzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Somehow I strongly doubt this. Nintendo has a loyal following, and I don't really see how you can say that the GameCube is on it's way out. Everytime I go into a store that sells consoles, I see plenty of Xbox and PS2 boxes, but very few GameCubes, so someone must be buying them. Secondly, the N64 isn't an underdog, since almost everyone I know who has a console has, or at some point in their life, had, an N64. Thirdly, Nintendo hasn't been kicked out of the current console race at all.
    And I think Kyle nailed it on the head, Nintendo offers some unique games that no other system does. Unlike the other companies, Nintendo has established a massive amount of characters, Yoshi, Kirby, Pikachu, Link, Samus, and of course, Mario, are just a few. Each of these characters can be taken and developed into games only available on Nintendo consoles, and these games, unlike some others, are FUN.
    Aaron Cedoras: Thrillnetwork Story Editor
    "Dead men tell no tales..."

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force and Steel Dragon 2000. I can't make up my mind between the two, so don't ask.

I didnt even know where to begin with all the idiocy and blatant ignorance floating around in the last couple of posts...

THE DOLPHIN was the codename for the gamecube...hence...there IS no Dolphin....there is only gamecube.....maybe research or basic knowledge should be required before embarking on answering a question.
    HANNAH MONTANA!!!!!!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Great American Scream Machine | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

Strata Poster
    Since when has the Gamecube passed the Xbox in current sales? Last I heard Xbox was #2 in the US and in some other countries.

Favorites: Amusement Park: EPCOT Center | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Top Thrill Dragster

Quote Originally Posted by coasterphil
    Since when has the Gamecube passed the Xbox in current sales? Last I heard Xbox was #2 in the US and in some other countries.
    Yeah, but it's not number 2 in Europe, and even more importantly, it's not number 2 in Japan.

It seems like nintendo is just in it to get more money and that they won't take a lot of time to make a good systems. It still sounds cool.

Strata Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraken
    Yeah, but it's not number 2 in Europe, and even more importantly, it's not number 2 in Japan.
    I understand, Tim said it was number 1 in every market, and I just wanted to point of that he was incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by vidgms2
    It seems like nintendo is just in it to get more money and that they won't take a lot of time to make a good systems. It still sounds cool.
    What company isn't in it for the money? There's much more reason though.

I have a Gamecube. I like my Gamecube. I like the controllers. They fit my hands. I like the games. They are fun. Nintendo has original games. Not many knockoffs.

I've played an X-Box. I don't like the X-Box. I don't like the controllers. They are too big. They have too many buttons. I don't like the games. They are crappy.

I've played every type of Playstation. I don't like Playstation. I don't like the controllers. They are not made for human hands (I assume). I don't like the games. They are dull and uninteresting.

Well, that's what I have to say, plain and simple, from my viewpoint.

Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by vidgms2
    How about you actually read the topic now?
    ThrillNetwork Moderator
    Houston Thrills Central | Freude Am Leben
    Marvel McFey is dead.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Undecided | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Superman: Ride of Steel (SFNE)

hahahaha......in it for the money? Buddy...have you ever even heard of a video game? Be honest now...Nintendo was the pioneer of home entertainment consoles....they took off, so other companies such as...hmm......lemme think...oh yeah, SONY said, hey, Nintendo is making money, lets make a system, get rappers to endorse it, and then WE will get money too..

So you decide whos in it for the money...

Sorry Im so bitter towardfs the PS2 right now....but if I hear one more customer say, "man, that gamecube is for little kids" I will shoot someone.
    Last edited by slipknot8527; 01-22-2004 at 09:25 PM.
    HANNAH MONTANA!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by slipknot8527
    hahahaha......in it for the money? Buddy...have you ever even heard of a video game? Be honest now...Nintendo was the pioneer of home entertainment consoles....they took off, so other companies such as...hmm......lemme think...oh yeah, SONY said, hey, Nintendo is making money, lets make a system, get rappers to endorse it, and then WE will get money too..

So you decide whos in it for the money...

Sorry Im so bitter towardfs the PS2 right now....but if I hear one more customer say, "man, that gamecube is for little kids" I will shoot someone.
    For once I agree with slipknot. Sony is taking a big fall right now. My PS2 is collecting more dust than hours.

But I am getting sick of everyone ripping on the Gamecube, it seriously pisses me off. People are so locked into their PS2's and Xbox's it seriously pisses the hell out of me. My friends kept complaining to me about how "Gamecube sucks" (I want to trade my PS2 for a Gamecube). They gave piss poor excuses like "It doesn't play online" and "There aren't any shooters". I'm so sick of that. It's so stereo typical. You're just "Too old" for kiddie games and you go on some other game and assume that watching blood fly around makes you some macho mature person.

Yeah, I know I play those games on my PC. Hey, PC is my primary gaming system and I like it. I don't rant about it too much anymore, but one of the reasons why I want a Gamecube is something with variety and unique games. Damn, I think Xbox owners forgot about that one, Unique games! What a concept. Instead of waiting for a sequel to a so-so shooter or killing game, why don't you bust out a unique game? Oh right, I forgot, Xbox doesn't have a lot of unique games, or they aren't "Xbox Live Enabled".

All these new systems are moving too far away from the simple basis of a console, just fun for your mind/TV. While yeah Xbox live might be fun, it takes it too far if you ask me. I'm not just talking about Xbox, Ps2 also. Hard Drives, Online Play, LANing is stuff that should really be concentrated on the PC, well, it should go to Consoles after they make a high percentage of good games. The companies are trying to do way to much. This creates new standards that people will go buy because they're biased. Wow, so what if Gamecube doesn't have online, a hard drive, or LANing? What happened to plain ol fun games?

Rant end.
    Thornton to Heatley all day, every day.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Mean Streak | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Quote Originally Posted by coasterphil
    I understand, Tim said it was number 1 in every market, and I just wanted to point of that he was incorrect.
    If you can find where I said Nintendo was #1 in every market I'll admit I was wrong. I never said that however. What I said was that the GBA is #1 in every market.... because it is. If you throw out the GBA, the GameCube is #2 in every market (US, Japan, Europe) behind PS2 and ahead of XBox Don't believe me? Check any gaming site out there.
    Last edited by Tim; 01-22-2004 at 11:06 PM.

Suspended Poster
    This threads seems to be turning pretty ugly. Regardless of opinions this is a thread about Nintendo's new system...and nothing else!

Well I stand corrected. I was told a short while ago that gamecube was no longer being developed, although the games would still be coming.

And for the record, I own a Gamecube, (not a Xbox nor a PS), and not once did I ever say any of Nintendo's systems sucked.
    Last edited by darque; 01-23-2004 at 01:10 PM.

Page 1 of 70 123451151 ... LastLast