Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: General Console Talk

Agreed. There used to be a thread where me an nineinchnails went back and for 10 times a day for weeks ranting about the consoles. Perhaps we can resurrect that thread and move our conversation here.

Strata Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    If you can find where I said Nintendo was #1 in every market I'll admit I was wrong. I never said that however. What I said was that the GBA is #1 in every market.... because it is. If you throw out the GBA, the GameCube is #2 in every market (US, Japan, Europe) behind PS2 and ahead of XBox Don't believe me? Check any gaming site out there.
    I meant to say number 2, and the last I checked, Xbox was leading Gamecube pretty handily in sales in the US. That was about a month ago, so maybe things have changed.

Favorites: Amusement Park: EPCOT Center | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Top Thrill Dragster

The $99 price for the GameCube helped it dominate between Thanksgiving and Christmas (the biggest consumer shopping time of the year.) It outsold everything in it's path, except for the mighty GBA.

How about the new DS though. Let's talk about that in this thread.

Zoom zoom.....
    I like PS2 for a few choice games not available on Xbox and GC. I like GC for few choice games not available on PS2 and Xbox. I like Xbox for online capability if I could ever get it to work. Everything has it's ups and downs. GameCube is just an overall fun system. That's all there is to it...

I'm glad that "True Crime" came out for GC. GTA was a strong selling point (probably the only one) for me in buying PS2, but I ended up going for the Jedi Orientated GC. I really don't know how TC and GTA are going to compare, but from my point of view, it's better then nothing.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Worlds of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Batman Knight Flight

I am going to have to agree with everything Kyle said. When GC first came out, all people would say is how great Xbox was and how gamecube was for kids. I found this incredibly stupid, because they were basing all of this on one title in the launch group-Luigi's Mansion. While it may not have been the best game, it was also one game. They said that GC hadnt a single mature rated game. I then informed them that no less than 6 Resident Evils would come out for the system, and they said "Well, I dont like Resident Evil." Oh, im sorry. I didnt realize we were talking about M rated games that you ALSO liked. Gamecube's games are almost all fun, at least the first and second party games. Seeing that it was me in middle school, it was all about how they wanted to go with the flow and get what everyone else was, while i went against it and didnt supply M$ with more money.

As for Nintendo pulling ahead of microsoft, check out this article.
    New address, new forums, better ePirate -- Gopirate.net.

I love Sidecar on Mainstreet!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

I have honestly never played a PS2 or Xbox game that would warrant me buying either console. My friend drools all over True Crime for PS2 (he thinks the fact that you can shoot out gas tanks makes it a great game) whereas I got bored playing it after half an hour. The Gamecube and the GBA are the two best gaming investments I've ever made.
    Winter is coming.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Wild Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

I bought my PS2 (back when they were still $299) just for Gran Turismo 3 and it was worth every penny.

I bought my Xbox at launch, and sold it 3 days later.

I bought my 'Cube at launch and it has been my favorite current console since.

I bought a GBA at launch and then traded it in when I bought my GBA SP. The SP is a MUCH better device if you ask me. Well worth the additional expense.

I bought my PS2 the day it launched. 299 bucks. I remember it too. I loved it for a long time. I haven't bought a console since.

I'm seriously leaning towards getting a Gamecube, if anyone has some suggestions, please tell me.

Oops forgot to add my "Primary System" in there.

1337 BoXX (Also known as my Computer) 2003....Launch

I upgraded it, a whooole lot!

Anyways, let the descussion continue!
    Thornton to Heatley all day, every day.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Mean Streak | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Get MarioKart and Luigi's Mansion. Great games. Also get Super Smash Bros Melee.

Sorry I didn't really give you what you wanted kyle. Definitly get the Gamecube, it fits you perfectly, no questions asked. And then get the games I told you.

Yeah I'm definatley thinking about it! It's actually just what I want, something to play some fun, unique games on. I don't need all that extra pizaaz that Xbox has, infact, I hate it! I have my PC for "Xtreme Online Play, Team Chat, Hard Drive saving, and LANing". I just want a simple console to play games on. All my friends keep giving me total crap for even wanting a gamecube, it's annoying. I suppose they don't see it from my view....

Ah oh well. If you ask me, I think the best console out there right now would proabobly be Gamecube. Why? Simply put as unique games. It has a gigantic range of games that no other console has. I suddenly just realized this too, but Xbox has a low number of unique games. They're all tactical shooting, large mech batteling, or something to do with shooting and killing, all of them. I really can't think of a unique/good Xbox only game. No seriously, I can't. Project Gotham is so-so if you ask me, and Halo? that's for PC. Just boggles the mind.

I suppose my friends forgot about variety. They keep bugging me to get a Xbox. But fact to the matter is, is that I have a computer that's 4 times the power of Xbox, and has all the games for Xbox. And not to mention, plays them better. I'm not bragging, I'm just sick of my friends bugging me to get a Xbox, when they really don't get the concept.

I want a Gamecube now. How much, like 100 bucks? I just wan't Melee and Mario Kart. That's basically it.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Mean Streak | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

This year it seems Xbox it comign out with more variety. I was reading on IGN's site all these new games coming out for Xbox and a few them looked completely original. Of course they were RPG's but still it shows Xbox is trying.

I also heard Metroid Prime is really good so maybe you should give that a try too.

Mario Kart is a disappointment for me. The new multiplayer modes are fantastic, but the single player mode is definitely mediocre at best. Unless you plan on playing with 3 or more friends constantly (on LAN or otherwise), I'd pass Mario Kart up. If I could only have five games for GameCube I would pick the following: Eternal Darkness, Super Monkey Ball (1 not 2), Rogue Squadron II, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, and Metroid Prime.

Those can all be had for probably a total of $100 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    I bought my PS2 (back when they were still $299) just for Gran Turismo 3 and it was worth every penny.
    Considering I don't much enjoy racing games or rpgs, the PS2 really isn't for me.
    Eternal Darkness? God, I haven't played that in probably a year. It was a kick-ass game when it came out, but after beating it three times there really isn't much left to do... Unlike Viewtiful Joe which seemingly never runs out of replay value.
    Winter is coming.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Wild Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Yeah, shes awesome...JUST DEAL slipknot8527's Avatar
    Just thought Id throw in a few more mature games for Gamecube to maybe help your decision:

Turok Evolution
    Eternal Darkness
    HANNAH MONTANA!!!!!!!!!
    TAKING THE WORLD BY STORM!!!!!
    "I'm living proof....THAT GIRLS CAN ROCK!!!!!!"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Great American Scream Machine | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

Strata Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknot8527
    Turok Evolution
    Why would you even mention that piece of crap?

Favorites: Amusement Park: EPCOT Center | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Top Thrill Dragster

Actually, Turok is an incredible game, with a slow start, so no one gives it a chance. Play 10 hours into it, then make that statement again....
    HANNAH MONTANA!!!!!!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Great American Scream Machine | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

Strata Poster
    I don't play a game for 10 hours to get to a good part. I don't have that kind of time.

I agree. I typically give a game 4 hours to pull me in. If it hasn't done it in that time, then it's not worthy of any more play.

Even 4 hours is a little much. Depends on what game it is but I will usually give it 2 hours at max.

Well, I didn't mean that it only gets good at the tenth hour, its just that after 10 hours, you are so drawn in and addicted...the goods start around 2 hours...
    HANNAH MONTANA!!!!!!!!!

Strata Poster
    I didn't feel that way at all. I thought the game was bad from the beginning, and stopped playing.

What exactly was bad about it?

The environments are huge.
    Fully destructable scenery.
    Gorgeous graphics.
    Smart fast A.I.
    Awesome weapons arsenal....
    HANNAH MONTANA!!!!!!!!!

Nothing Nintendo has ever done made much sence. Why should they start now...
    It's Homespun Fun!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead (Dollywood) | Steel Roller Coaster: Alpengeist, BGW

Excellent point. Why don't they just start making pizzas? Thanks for playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeis#1
    Nothing Nintendo has ever done made much sence. Why should they start now...
    Were you alive in the early 90's?

All there was, was Nintendo SNES. The SNES is the best console, ever. I don't care about all this LANing, Hard Drives, or Online Play, playing a fun and addicting game is what I'm all about. The SNES has so many good games. Listing them would take a enternity. Back then, there was no Microsoft or Sony, just Sega. The Genesis was proabobly one of Segas better consoles up there with the Dreamcast.

Nintendo literally created video gaming, I have absolutley no idea why you would say that. Think of it this way: Nintendo sticks to what they know best, good, classic, fun games. Which is what I think IS the best.

I had a friend tell me that Nintendo was in the position Sega was in and is about to go bankrupt. Yeah, okay.
    Winter is coming.

Zoom zoom.....
    Your friend was high at the time he told you that. I never had an SNES. I seemed to skip over it since I got a Playstation. I went from NES to PS to N64. I guess I screwed up a bit, eh?

I'm not sure why the press thinks this is news... the big article about Nintendo now is how they plan to continue supporting GameCube for 2-3 more years and not release a follow-up console in that time span. Guess what? We already knew that. That's been the plan the whole time. Why is this news? Regardless of the spin coming out of Sony, the PS3 is at least 2 years away, and the same for the successor to the Xbox. This story has told no one anything new.

Agreed that SNES was the greatest console of all time....best lineup of games ever.
    HANNAH MONTANA!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast