Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High School

High School

In here, people can tell new coming freshman what to expect in high school. I know that every high school is not the same. But i think it would help us Freshman out. So tells us what you got. Maybe yall could give us some words of encouragement of something like that. Also tell us how you high school life went. If you want to.
    Last edited by sfft_2108; 05-18-2004 at 07:39 PM.

Don't overload yourself on classes and activities.

Banned
    I was a Freshman this year. I go to Etowah High School: [url]http://www.cherokee.k12.ga.us/etowah-hs/[/url]

Everyone told me that when we got there all of the older kids were going to tease us, throw us in trash cans, etc. Well, it was nothing like that. Everyone else just seemed to ignore us.

In high school you have alot more freedom. You don't have teachers bugging you for assignments and what not. By 9th gade they expect you to be responsible enough to make your own choices. If you don't do your work, they don't care. They'll just fail you. In middle school we only had Gatorade machines. In high school (mine atleast) there are Coca-Cola machines out the wazoo.

I like high school alot better than middle school. I like being able to make my own choices, but making your own choices can be harder than you think. I felt like I was doing all of my work but it turns out I don't have above a C in one class. :sadface: I'm not stupid or anything, I just blew off turning in my work sometimes. DO YOUR HOMEWORK! I would have done it every night if I knew what would have happened if I diddn't.

All in all, high school's is great. Don't worry, just relax. I got myself all worked up over nothing. It wasn't bad at all.

Good luck!

Im going to high school in 2 years, but I don't know if I should go to a all boy school or a boy and girl school. What do you guys think?
    http://www.invisionfree.com/forums/graphixnetworks
    -free graphixs
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knots Berry Farm | Steel Roller Coaster: X

James
    man i hated high school so much... it was the worst time in my life... i never want to go back...

Sparks, of course you have to choose the one with girls. I couldn't imagine it without them.

Strata Poster
    Just feel things out the first few weeks, then you'll get the hang of it. High school isn't that big of a deal.

Favorites: Amusement Park: EPCOT Center | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Top Thrill Dragster

I have two days left of High School and then I'm done forever! I am so glad too, I don't think I could do it over again. I made a bunch of friends and since everyone can start driving you can do a lot more out of school. To be honest, the freedom thing is a bunch of bull. Sure, you don't have to do some stupid things that you did in middle school, but your time is still pretty much controlled by power hungry goons- many of which seem like they have nothing better to do then make things hard for you.

I made it threw by blowing everything off. Yes, I do all my work (which is why I am an honor graduate), but I don't bother getting worked up over anything. I see so many kids who get worked up over getting a lot of work, managing their time, etc. Just don't worry about it.

A tip: Make a very good impression on your teachers the first few weeks. Make them think you are an overachieving geek who gets 100s on every assignment. They will get used to it, and often keep giving you A's even when you slack off. I did this with my 11th grade lit teacher. We had this huge semester long project, which included an essay that was about 10 pages long. I got a 98 on it and didn't even get 1/2 way through the book that my report was over. All because the teacher was used to giving me 100's.

[QUOTE]To be honest, the freedom thing is a bunch of bull. Sure, you don't have to do some stupid things that you did in middle school, but your time is still pretty much controlled by power hungry goons- many of which seem like they have nothing better to do then make things hard for you.[/QUOTE]

I was going to say something similar to this. It is very true, there is hardly any more freedom (if not less than in middle school). The only major thing would be that you have a wider choice of classes and that you get to drive. In my opinion there are also alot more rules and they make big deals about rediclous stuff (e.g. taking up cell phones & CD players).

[QUOTE=SFOG Freak]
    Everyone told me that when we got there all of the older kids were going to tease us, throw us in trash cans, etc. Well, it was nothing like that. Everyone else just seemed to ignore us.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah everyone is all like yeah the Upper classman are going to stuff you in trach cans and that stuff. I ain't worried about that. I jsut tell all my friends that they wont and that stuff. Plus i have a sister who is going to be in the 11th grade next year. So that is a plus for like towards people not teasing me. I am not like just going to depend on my sister to stick up for me. But i think it is good to have a family member in high school, when you are going through high school. Thats for the info and seggestions guys.

Freshman year was a horrible year for some kids in my grade. I never had any problems and it was not near as bad as upperclassmen warned or threatened it would be.

Some academic suggestions would be do your homework, do not overload yourself, do not stress. I was in all honors, earned straight A's, and I actually found ninth grade easier than eighth. Donít get on a teacher's bad side when you start. Just be polite. I am not suggesting kissing butt, just be polite.

Some suggestions I have for your social life in your freshman year is to make friends with upperclassmen right away. Don't make friends just to go to parties and what not. Being friends with upperclassmen is a huge plus, they can give you plenty of advice and as simple as it sounds it makes you look better to other upperclassmen (only if you make friends with the right group). I am not trying to come accross like I am the most popular kid in school. I do not always hang out in the "incrowd" but I hang out with just about anyone, some of the most popular and some of the not so popular.

Your freshman year is not going to be as bad as other people say. Just enjoy yourself but never slack off. It is hard to get back when you have strayed from the trail.
    Last edited by gcut26; 05-18-2004 at 09:32 PM.

[QUOTE=SFFT_Freak]Sparks, of course you have to choose the one with girls. I couldn't imagine it without them.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of going to a boy/girl school because of that reason. Im not sure yet though, and I'm not looking forwards to it.
    -free graphixs

Banned
    Well let's make this short but sweet:

Do your F-ing homework

Study your F-ing books

Talk to people in your classes and stuff, try to integrate

Don't videotape yourself doing something stupid

I was a freshman this year, and I can't really hep you out seeing as I don't know the public school scene (I go to a Co-ed Catholic School) I'm sure it's pretty similar. 1st of all, get to know a bunch of people in your class, it'll help you out more than you think to be familiar with 50 or so different classmates. Also, get to know teachers, administration (friends in high places) even if you don't have them for classes, that way you have an edge if you ever get in a sticky situation. A far as upper classmen go, befriend perhaps a few or at least get to know who many of them are, but avoid them otherwise, you never know who wants to stick you in a trash can. Your best bet is to get involved with something where you can meet people, but dont over-do it by planning too much. That's all I got for now, if I think of more I'll share.
    Last edited by CoasterKid23; 05-18-2004 at 09:41 PM.

[QUOTE=coasterkidmwm]Well let's make this short but sweet:

Do your F-ing homework

Study your F-ing books

Talk to people in your classes and stuff, try to integrate

Don't videotape yourself doing something stupid[/QUOTE]

Great advice!! lol I already do that.
    -free graphixs

[QUOTE=Sparks]Great advice!! lol I already do that.[/QUOTE]

This is for high school. Not middle school. Plus i really didn't have to study that much this year or study my books.

One word of advice: Before you buy pool/elevator passes, check to make sure your school has a pool or an elevator.

Upperclassmen always try and sell pool/elevator passes to frosh at my school, despite the fact that we don't have a pool or even a second story. Also, try and not be annoying. This past year's frosh were really annoying for the most part, but that might just come with the area. They seem more annoying than our class and the junior class. I guess we'll find out next year if every year is annoying.
    LINKIN PARK IS A ROLLER COASTER!!!!
    LINKIN PARK IS A ROOOOOOLER COASTER!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Georgia Cyclone | Steel Roller Coaster: TTD and MF

Banned
    That's weird. They do the same thing at my school....in a way. They don't sell passes to an elevator (we do have one) or a pool but they tell all of the "frosh" that there is a pool on the roof. I guess it has gotten passed around over the years.

Hey guys what is a Frosh. Is it a freshman or what?

Editor, Moderator, etc.
    favorite pool on the roof story:
    They always used to say there was a pool on the roof. Obviously, there wasn't. But one year, for senior prank, the seniors got a fiberglass huge pool and put it in the school parking lot. It was classic. :)

um... let you make your own choices?
    I graduated from Gabriel Richard High School in Riverview, Michigan in 1999. there were a few less rules than in junior high, but overall, we were expected to come to class or else our parents would be called, and we were griped at for doing work just as much as in junior high.
    On the other hand, there were fewer days spent in the classroom doing worksheets together. I used to hate that.
    Anyway, you do your own work, you often aren't given class time to do it, so you end up with more homework. Activities are... bunk. Join a club or team or two that really interests you. I played volleyball for a while, but really liked the fencing team. It was made up of a bunch of really oddball guys that also liked coasters, liked going on road trips, and in general were pretty cool. I also did theater. But I did other stuff that didn't really help me as I've moved on, like joining national honors society (huge waste of time!) and other organizations taht I felt like I had to do, except I know the truth now (it was bunk!)

Okay so as for preparing for college...

They'll tell you "this is good for you if you're going on to college." or "they'll do it this way in college." Really, most of the time this was teacher speak for "I'm gonna rip you a new one in such a way that a college teacher would be fired, but nobody is gonna care cause it's all in the name of college prep." Don't worry too much, just know this is when the teacher is most likely going to try to fail you. :)

To prepare for college, I'd say take as many honors and AP classes as you can, no matter who you are. The tests aren't overly hard, and even in the classy school I went to some of the brightest students got the worst grades on them (because they require common sense!) I entered into college with 18 credits, but I wish I had had more. College is bloody EXPENSIVE, even with financial aid, so taking credits in high school is good if you plan to continue.

When you take your SATs and ACTs, take a test called the GRE too. If you ever go to grad school you'll thank me. It's EASIER than those other two, and required for graduate admissions. They don't care when you took it. So do it NOW. You just need to know how to multiple decimals and do logic problems. Yay.

Learn how to write, well, with as few grammar errors as possible. This will save your soul in college. A good writer stands out above ALL other students in any course you have to write sentences and paragraphys for any reason whatsoever (including labs, so don't say that math and science are particularly out here).

And um, have fun too. :) And maybe someday you'll have me as a teacher in college! :)

~me.
    Last edited by Jill Anne; 05-18-2004 at 09:57 PM.

Banned
    In high school you will get swirlies and lots of them. Oh wait...I graduated, so I guess you're safe.

You will learn to master the art of rubber-necking and other great cheating techniques.

You will learn the value of beer and/or other substances.

You will learn the vaule of the opposite sex.

You will learn to make art out of TP, dead coons, condiments, and other useful items.

So that's what to expect out of high school. Have fun!! :)

Banned
    High school doesn't matter in the long run and it's not the best time of your life.

A few tips.
    [list][*]Establish a good relationship with teachers. Just show them you're not going to be a person who cheats on tests, never does homework, and isn't going to reap any benefits out of being in school in the first places. And if you are that type of person, pretend you aren't. Better yet, try to get conversations going between yourself and your teachers. I discuss everything from movies to politics with some of my teachers, and at least for me, it makes the class more enjoyable.[*]Take honors, GATE, and AP courses whenever you can. A lot of them are weighted, boosting your GPA, it looks good on your record, and in the case of AP courses, your class is essentially over by the middle of May. In my AP U.S. History course, all we're doing is watching movies on one TV and playing Gamecube on the other. [*]It helps to have connections with the upperclassmen, something I learned as a freshman. It's always good to have friends in high places. If the upperclassmen are popular, it's even better.[*]Try to have a large circle of close friends, the more, the better. It makes life much easier.[*]Although it should go without saying, do your homework, do well on tests, and don't ditch. [*]Don't believe anything about the upperclassmen attacking freshmen. It isn't true.[*]If you feel like it, join a sports team or club. [*]Lastly, don't stress out. Generally, high school is pretty fun.[/list]
    Aaron Cedoras: Thrillnetwork Story Editor
    "Dead men tell no tales..."

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force and Steel Dragon 2000. I can't make up my mind between the two, so don't ask.

[B]Alright, here's what you have to know![/b]

[B]1. Find the biggest guy and beat his [butt][/b]
    If you beat the biggest guy, no one will try and mess with you and make you his &%#$*.

[B]2. If you drop the soap, leave it![/b]
    If while taking a shower, you should drop the soap, just leave it there. Bad things happen to those who pick up the soap!!!

[B]3. Make friends with the "groups" there[/b]
    It helps to have back up while you're spending time there. If you ever get into some kind of trouble, you'll always have someone watching your back. That's very important while you're there.

These are just some of the guidelines I can offer to help you out. Don't worry too much, you should only be in there for four years. It's possible to get out early for good behavior.
    Last edited by coasterlove; 05-19-2004 at 04:15 AM.
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME
    Favorites: Amusement Park: 1. Cedar Point 2. SFGAm 3. Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1. The Voyage 2. Viper 3. The Boss 4. Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: 1. Millennium Force 2. Top Thrill Dragster 3. Maverick 4. Raging Bull 5. Raptor

Hmmm... where to begin...

Oh, first off I've been out of high school for *cough* 14 years now *cough*. lol

My best advise, is to find out who you are, and be yourself no matter what everyone else thinks.

I spent so much time in Middle/High School worrying about what other people thought of me.

And you know what? When you get out of school, it won't matter 1% what they think. Those people are going to go to college, or start work and you'll never see them again. Except maybe at reunions.

The funny thing is, at my 10 year reunion, the stuck up people for the most part were still stuck up, and most of the other people were nice and had finally grown up. lol

And another piece of advise, enjoy the ride.

Don't try and grow up too fast. You've probably heard this before, but when you get out of school, time flies. I've been working for my employer for 13 years now, and it seems like it was just yesterday I started when I was 19.

So basically, enjoy letting your parents/guardian take care of the bills, and pay for your clothes and such. Pretty soon you'll be paying the bills. So enjoy life at home. :) And no matter how bad it seems some times, you'll survive High School. I did. :D ;party;
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Mem**r of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

I won't even mention how many years I've been out of school. ;) Any advise I would give probably wouldn't even apply to high school today. lol

So just enjoy these years and be yourself. Do your homework and follow the rules...I was good at the homework, not so great at always following the rules though, but I was in high shcool at a time when everybody wanted to go against every rule. :rolleyes:

Anyway, have fun and what bgwfreak said about time flying is so true. It felt like it took so long to get through high school, afterwards, I don't even know where the time went.

Banned
    ^ OMG!!! You mean you didn't follow all the rules??? My opinion of you has just gone down the crapper, lol. ;)

[QUOTE=coasterlove][b]Alright, here's what you have to know![/b]

[b]1. Find the biggest guy and beat his [butt][/b]

[b]2. If you drop the soap, leave it![/b]

[b]3. Make friends with the "groups" there[/b]

These are just some of the guidelines I can offer to help you out. Don't worry too much, you should only be in there for four years. It's possible to get out early for good behavior.[/QUOTE]Don't listen to coasterlove's #1. It's best you find the biggest guy and be his uhhhhh.....buddy, yeah. Just do whatever he says/wants so you won't have to worry about everyone coming after you. It's common for guys to get affectionate nicknames like "Heather", "Laura", "Lynn", "Kathy", "Helen", "Honey", etc..

You may also want to make and carry a shank with you at all times. You can make them out of virtually anything (ie toothbrush, cafeteria tray, soap).

If you get pinched, then here's some advice. Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut.

Have fun!!
    Last edited by Magnum Robert; 05-19-2004 at 09:53 AM.

Editor, Moderator, etc.
    High school went by fast. So did my undergrad years. And well, my masters degree and....
    I think high school is when time goes from "drag butt kid slow" to "normal adult" hence us thinking that it goes by quickly. Childhood seems to drag because A) you don't have much to do B) you don't have many responsibilities and C) you don't have much control, constantly being at the mercy of others. At some point during high school these things change, putting you in control of where you go and when (driving, assumbably) and giving you more responsibilities like work and relationships. And it changes *everything,* but mostly for hte better. You know, unless you never grow up like *some* people I know.
    That shall remain nameless.
    I swear.
    Anyway, worrying about high school is important in high school. It's part of the territory. It 's all fine and well for us to tell you it didn't matter that much later, we're all sitting here saying this at universities or with degrees already. You will panick about grades or a test at least once. It's required. You will probably get in really big trouble and want to smack yourself for being stupid. At least once.
    In my friend Justinian's case that happened when I proved I could hit somebody with my shoe kicking it off my foot from across the gym, directly, with no problem (yay freshman antics) and Justinian did the same and sent his shoe straight through the ceiling. And he's one of hte smartest people I know.
    Don't drink much. That's what college is for. :)
    ~Jill
    Last edited by Jill Anne; 05-19-2004 at 10:03 AM.

At my high school we do pick on freshman alot...or I should say did since Im out in 2 days. But, the first week the freshman are easy to see, cause they get shorter and shorter each year. We had what was called 'Freshman Friday' where we get to go around and mark F's on the forehead of any Freshman with a marker on the first Friday of the school year. Then at pep rallies the seniors sit above the freshman on one side of the bleachers, and the freshman sit on the floor. The Sophs and Juniors share the opposite side. But we are allowed to throw paper balls and things at the freshman.

However, this stuff is probably just our school. We're notorious for messing with freshman. But, I live in M-Town, nowhere near you. Also, I think its easier for a good looking freshman girl to get assimilated into high school that a nerdy boy, mainly cause the good looks allows the girl to move into a popular clique of upper classman. Such is the case with some of the cliques I hang out in.

^^ I thought our school was mean! lol. Actually I don't recall anything big happening like that in my Sophomore year (we didn't have middle schools then, we had junior highs, so you started High school in 10th grade).

I really enjoyed High school for the most part. Jr. High was hell though.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Mem**r of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast