Thread: What happens when the ride you work on is closed?

What happens when the ride you work on is closed?

I'm just curious what the workers of a ride are sceduled to do if the ride they work on is closed. Do they have you help on other rides if you are trained to do so or have you do general park work? So what happens?
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME
    Favorites: Amusement Park: 1. Cedar Point 2. SFGAm 3. Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1. The Voyage 2. Viper 3. The Boss 4. Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: 1. Millennium Force 2. Top Thrill Dragster 3. Maverick 4. Raging Bull 5. Raptor

Banned
    ^ When TTD closed for that long stretch in June last year, some of the employees worked on Magnum. Otherwise, the employees wouldn't have had any hours. I'm not sure if any TTD employees worked any other rides during that down time.

I'm the good looking one Steven's Avatar
    Depends on the park... most of the time though, if we're scheduled, we're going to work unless they say otherwise.

We don't just operate the rides... we take care of them. We do have to clean the queues, the station, the grounds around the station, the trains, and anything else that has to do with the ride. There have been times when the ride was closed, but we managed to get the ride cleaned. Basically, we become one huge garbo crew.

When a ride is down for a couple of hours, and if we can get people out of the way, it's a perfect time to do some scrubbing to the station floors, any ramps/stairs, and to the queues, with all the pop, candy, or other food people drop or spill. No one likes the feel of sticky queues, and we do scrub, especially in the most frequently used queue areas. We also pick up litter/debris from grounds around the ride that people carelessly throw away.

If it gets closed for an extended period of time (like a couple of days), we may either work on other rides (we may have to train if we haven't worked the ride before) or other departments. Rarely though are we sent home, though it happened with the Dragster crew sometimes last year.

It was busy work, yes, but it really was something to be proud of... I don't think one of us ever did it half-assed, and we did manage to have some fun while doing it.

EDIT: If it went down during the day though, we did have someone at entrance as usual explaining why it was down (mechanical reasons usually). Even in cases of rollback, they still kept people at entrance.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

Over at SFMM, if the ride was down then cleaning would start up, with one person sent to man the front of the line and tell everyone the ride was down and to try back later. If it was a breakdown with riders stranded then positions in the station and panel would remain manned, and other operators would be sent up lifts or to brake runs to talk to the guests. If evacuations were needed then supervisors would be there to assist in removing and walking guests off the ride. If the ride was to be down all day and was not coming back (valleying) then the crew would be sent over to other understaffed rides in the park. We could also use this time for training. It would also be quite rare for a crew to be sent home..there was usually somewhere for the operators to go.

-Tom
    Rock concert movement number 3: ready, go.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, Disneyland, SFMM | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: X2

Intimidating Poster! Carowinds 73-03's Avatar
    Sometimes we went to other rides if they needed any help. If not then we all went around and emptyed trash a swept and if it was raining then we just sat in the station talking about whatever & goofing off.

Wooden Poster
    10 years ago i worked on the highroller woodie at valleyfair for two weeks at the end of a summer. we had a great game we played with a mini basketball when we were down for weather. the highroller has these great old IAD trains with single lap bars that flip into a vertical position, and there's a big rubber bumper on the back of the train, (just like the one on the front).

http://www.rcdb.com/installationgall....htm?Picture=1

we would stand on the back bumper and, one after the other, try to free-throw the ball into each seat, progressing further and further after making into the closest seat. i mean, after easily dumping it into the last seat, we would place it in the second to last seat, then toss it into the first seat of the last car, then the last seat of the 3rd car, and so on. if you missed, you had to wait until your next turn and try to continue where you left off. the first person to make it all the way thru and into the front seat was the winner. that was actually a lot of fun, now that i think about it!
    EVERY GREAT WOODEN COASTER HAS A TUNNEL (except avalanche in wisconsin dells... oh, and collossus in heide park)

What would you do if when shooting for the front seat you over shot and it went out of the station and possibly on to the track or to a unreachable area?
    -rctfreak-
    Member 399
    Coaster Count: 135
    Park Count: 20
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Quote Originally Posted by RCTfreak
    What would you do if when shooting for the front seat you over shot and it went out of the station and possibly on to the track or to a unreachable area?
    -rctfreak-
    Go get it? Why not- the ride is down, it's not like the trains going to hit you.
    _____I___N__C__R__E__D__I_____H_U_L_K__7_7___

Well @ SFFT we are seperated into 6 areas, and each area has 7 rides you get trained on. However, some people are only trained on 4 or 5 positions in the area, and then some of us are trained on all 9, technically 12, positions in the area (actually, I think there's only 3 team members out of us 40 or so in area 5 that are 100%. I'm one of them. ) Anywho... yeah when your ride goes down, your actions depend on the reason its down. If its broken with people on it, you stay there and talk to people and do what you can. If its broken with nobody on it, you call it up, they fix it, and then you open it back up. If its down for a prolonged period of time, kind of like the TTD thing last summer, you have one person stand out in front of the ride and let guests know whats up, but you still get rotated. That's why i love SFFT, we're divided up so great. We can always get rotated and always move around to different rides in our area so ... yeah, its great.. lol. I feel bad for the people at SFOT who stay at one ride the entire day (with the exception of kiddy land and spain) and... whoa.. i need to stop. I'm on like the biggest tangent ever. But I'm sure i answered the question in there somewhere.. lol... but im always up for discussion about my tangents elsewhere!

Wooden Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RCTfreak
    -rctfreak-
    i think someone was always standing on the front bumber to guard. at least, i don't remember having any problems with the ball landing someplace it really wasn't meant to be.
    Last edited by DerMorgan; 07-06-2004 at 07:09 AM.
    EVERY GREAT WOODEN COASTER HAS A TUNNEL (except avalanche in wisconsin dells... oh, and collossus in heide park)

Working at a Water Park, its kind of different. Every lifeguard is trained on all of the slides at all of the area's of the park. Sometimes we have a pipe burst, so a area may be shut down. If that happens, we have some guards make sure nobody goes on the ride, and the rest of them usually get sent to another area.