Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is the Raven so popular?

Banned

Why is the Raven so popular?

I was thinking about making the drive to holiday world, but driving there for 2 coasters is stupid. The raven has stats of 8o' high and 48mph, how does that make for a top 5 coaster. It may be a good ride but there is no way it could be intense. It seems to be for children not a top 5 coaster.

So what makes it so great that i want to go and ride it?

Strata Poster
    Once again you show that you do not understand what makes a roller coaster a good ride. It has nothing to do with height and speed. I've never ridden it, but it supposedly gives a wonderful out of control feeling and a lot of ejector air.

Don't judge rides on stats.

Favorites: Amusement Park: EPCOT Center | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Top Thrill Dragster

Don't judge a ride or a park unless you've actually "ridden" it, or "been" to it. With this kind of thread, you're going to hear from people who love it and you'll hear from people who do not think it's all that great. So what will that end up telling you? Ride if for yourself and judge for yourself. It's the best way to find out why a ride is so great or so bad. :leeloo2:

I've never ridden it, so I have no comment at all about it.

I will say, having just ridden Raven, that it is HIGHLY overrated. The airtime was minimal and the lats were ok. The ride was way too short though, and had no real thrill to it other than being in the woods. Legend is infinately better than Raven. I would say Legend alone is worth the drive, and Raven is just a good ride and an added bonus.
    "Cedar Point has a wide variety of wooden coasters" - Discovery Channel
    Favorites: Amusement Park: CP | Wooden Roller Coaster: Legend | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Phil has it right. You don't seem to know what makes a great coaster. Ever wonder why Dragster and SOB aren't ranked the top steel and top wooden respectively. Because there is more then height and speed. Raven is a good example of this. There are tons of great rides that really don't go that high or that fast.
    Let's Go! HOKIES!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1.The Beast 2.Ghostrider 3.Phoenix 4.Lightning Racer | Steel Roller Coaster: 1.Millenium Force 2.Kraken 3.Alpengeist 4.Nitro

New Mexico Rattler Poster BryanWood's Avatar
    Raven is a quality coaster when ridden in the backseat. As far as the fact that it has been #1 in the polls in the past, it's because Holiday World offered tons of ERT at night on Raven, when it runs at it's best. Plus, when a park is that generous to you, you tend to like it more than you normally would. The one thing that helps Raven is its setting. It sits in the woods (heavily wooded, you can't see what's coming), it brushes over a lake, and uses the natural terrain of the park, it's 5th drop goes 110 feet down into a ravine-type thing.

Franchise, you have Cedar Point syndrome. Just because the coaster is over 200 feet tall, doesn't have 5 loops, doesn't exceed 72 MPH doesn't mean it's not fun.
    Bryan Wood
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebel's, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage, Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath-SFoG, Phantom's Revenge

Banned
    Granted i am a newbie, but the beast to me is a greater coaster. You say that raven is good cause it is in the woods. The beast is too. plus the beast is 2/3's longer, faster, and taller. I am sure if PKI offered so much ert on it at night, longer than an hour like they normally do, ethusiasts would rate it higher.

Strata Poster
    A lot of people would agree with The Beast being a better ride, but we we're all referring to your post on SOB.

Favorites: Amusement Park: EPCOT Center | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Top Thrill Dragster

Corkscrew Poster
    As said before, height and speed are not the only factors that make a great ride. Granted, they really help. Not in this case, though. Raven has location, nice swooping turns, relative smoothness, quick drops, and a zippy pace. Overrtaed? I don't think so. I've never had ERT on it, let alone during the night but I can definently see why it is ranked AT LEAST in the top 5. Perhpas not #1, but its right up there. So go, Franchise. It is worth 2 rides. Besides, Legend is a killer ride, too. (Okay, I'm a little bit biased. Holiday World represents some home state pride). But besides that, GO!

Looping Poster
    Your just like my dad! please stop he told me that i would be disapointed with kennywood becasue there coasters arnt as big as the ones at CP. IIts not about speed and height, its about the expeirience. Also franchise stop posting stupid threads. Please try to stop consently making stupid threads they get annoying. Such as the new rocket type one and the why is magnum rated so high, thats all i can think off of the top of my head but theres more.

Wooden Poster
    I happen to love Raven. The best seat on the ride is the back but the front ain't too shabby either. The ride has some awesome airtime and the laterals just throw you from side to side. Its a great ride and ranks #4 on my top 5 Woodies, with Legend at #5.

You should make that drive out to Holiday World right now. Plus, you get free soda and if you are an ACE memeber, you get 1/2 Admission! I've met Pat Koch (I do believe) and she is awesome and was a wonderful lady. Had a wonderful conversation with her. The park is top notch, one of my favorites. You should all be at Holiday World right now.
    WDW CP - Spring & Fall 2006 - Entertainment Performer
    WDWCP Alumni - Spring 2005 - Living Seas/Soarin'
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Boulderdash | Steel Roller Coaster: Superman: Ride of Steel (SFNE)

[QUOTE=Franchise]So what makes it so great that i want to go and ride it?[/QUOTE]Two words: Fifth drop.

When I first went there, the stats did not impress me. It really didn't look like that great a ride. A trip in the back seat changed everything for me. Stats don't make a ride. It twists and turns through the woods, and contains one of the best drops on a wooden coaster ... ever. That fifth drop is what taught me what ejector airtime is.

Legend is also a great reason to visit Holiday World. It's got the best first drop on a wooden coaster, and it's got my favorite: laterals. If you like laterals, Legend's packed with them. Legend is my favorite wooden coaster.

Don't judge a park by its coasters. Give their Double Shot a chance. They've got a variety of flat rides and a water park that (I've been told) is amazing.

Bryan's right. You've got Cedar Point syndrome. Give the park a shot. It's amazing.
    ThrillNetwork editor emeritus - NSCIGC member
    Voyage is the best coaster
    Raptor ride count - 1,160.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, Holiday World, Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Raptor

Been Here Since the Begining Sir Willow's Avatar
    Why is the Raven rated so well? Well, since I can't talk about Raven without also refering to Legend and Holiday World....

Raven is a fast, fun ride. It's got several spots that deliver some very nice airtime. And as mentioned above, the 5th drop is great. The setting is wonderful. After over 200 coasters, Raven is still easily in my top tier of coasters. It's a great ride.

Legend is more intense, and delivers more laterals than Raven does. If that's what you like (and based on your opinion of SOB, that's probably true) then Legend is probably going to be more to your liking. In my case, I really enjoyed the coaster, but it was strong enough that I could only handle about 3-4 rides before I moved on. But even with that, it's still a great ride. I prefer Raven, but I know at least as many people who prefer Legend. Together, the two coasters are easily 2 fantastic coasters, and putting them together in the same park is just icing on the cake.

And it's a wonderful little park too. Some might consider it a half day park, but if you spend time in their water park at all, it easily becomes a full day one. It's got a nice assortment of flats, including a couple of very nice ones. And the waterpark is great- a lot of fun, with a good variety of slides in it. Add in the free drinks and free sunscreen (what other park does that), friendly and very efficient staff and adminstration, and you realize that there are very good reasons why people rave about this little park so much.

But then you're not going to be able to know that yourself until you actually go visit it. And with it being pretty close to PKI, which you say that you go to alot, I can't recommend enough that you take the drive to Holiday World. Really.
    Have you read my number 1 best seller? There will be a test! ~God
    Life with God is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
    My park & coaster photos: Sir Willow's Smugmug pictures
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, Bonfante Gardens, Holiday World, SFGrAm, Legoland and Disneyland | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix,Thunderhead- Dollywood, NM Rattler, Raven & Legend- HW, Viper- SFGrAm, Giant Dipper-SCBB | Steel Roller Coaster: X!!, Goliath, Talon, Millenium Force, Montu, Kumba, others

Banned
    I guess i will make the treck next year for i can enjoy the waterpark with my gf. After over a 100 laps of the SOB under my belt this summer I doubt if anything will ever compare in the woodie dept.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

seriously though. Come on! SOB is nothing special in the woodie deptartment. You have much to learn grasshopper.
    Let's Go! HOKIES!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1.The Beast 2.Ghostrider 3.Phoenix 4.Lightning Racer | Steel Roller Coaster: 1.Millenium Force 2.Kraken 3.Alpengeist 4.Nitro

[QUOTE=Franchise]Granted i am a newbie, but the beast to me is a greater coaster. You say that raven is good cause it is in the woods. The beast is too. plus the beast is 2/3's longer, faster, and taller. I am sure if PKI offered so much ert on it at night, longer than an hour like they normally do, ethusiasts would rate it higher.[/QUOTE]

If you've never ridden Raven, please refrain from ridiculous statements like this. Do NOT say that Beast is better if you've never ridden Raven. That will get you made fun of and people will respect you less and not value anything you have to say. I'm starting to feel that way.
    Bryan Wood
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebel's, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage, Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath-SFoG, Phantom's Revenge

Intimidating Poster! Carowinds 73-03's Avatar
    If i had to drive cross country to ride Legend & Raven i would do it in a heartbeat. The two are world class coasters and belong in the top 5 every year.

[QUOTE=RaptorXLC]HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

seriously though. Come on! SOB is nothing special in the woodie deptartment. You have much to learn grasshopper.[/QUOTE]
    He likes riding with his G.F. cause the ride throws her in his lap.
    "She's waiting for a prince in shining armor, and I don't even know how to put armor on."
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Texas Cyclone | Steel Roller Coaster: Loch Ness Monster

[QUOTE=Franchise]I guess i will make the treck next year for i can enjoy the waterpark with my gf. After over a 100 laps of the SOB under my belt this summer I doubt if anything will ever compare in the woodie dept.[/QUOTE]

This is supposed to be funny? Maybe i misread it.

^People were laughing because not everyone agrees with Franchise regarding the greatness of SOB.
    "She's waiting for a prince in shining armor, and I don't even know how to put armor on."
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Texas Cyclone | Steel Roller Coaster: Loch Ness Monster

In lamen's terms:

SOB sucks
    Let's Go! HOKIES!

Wooden Poster
    I've never ridden SOB, but I've never really heard anything but bad comments about it. I've heard its rough, trains suck, and just an overall bad ride. I think I'd take Raven/Legend over it anyday.

Now, you people still need to experience Boulderdash/Shivering Timbers/Cornball Express. Now those are even better than Raven and Legend!
    WDW CP - Spring & Fall 2006 - Entertainment Performer
    WDWCP Alumni - Spring 2005 - Living Seas/Soarin'
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Boulderdash | Steel Roller Coaster: Superman: Ride of Steel (SFNE)

Banned
    that is not a fair statement. People likes different music, movies, food, etc. I personally like fast, forcefull, rough coasters.

The statement that is the least fair in this thread is saying Beast/Son of Beast are better than Raven when you have yet to ride it! I'm so tired of people who don't have any appreciation of a "medium-sized" ride that delivers. Heck, if something like Raven was built 20 years ago, it would be a revolutionary ride.
    Bryan Wood

[QUOTE=Franchise]I personally like fast, forcefull, rough coasters.[/QUOTE]You need to give Raven a try before saying it isn't good. There are many coasters that aren't particuarly fast, thrilling, or rough, but they're excellent rides. Raven is pure fun, that's what it's intended to be. It's got great lateral G-s, lots of airtime, and it makes very good use of the setting, racing through the trees, the turn over the lake, and then the fifth drop down into the ditch. Ride before you criticize. You'll change your tune.
    Aaron Cedoras: Thrillnetwork Story Editor
    "Dead men tell no tales..."

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force and Steel Dragon 2000. I can't make up my mind between the two, so don't ask.

I'm the good looking one Brian F's Avatar
    A town called Big Nothing (Really Big Nothing)
    [QUOTE=Franchise]that is not a fair statement. People likes different music, movies, food, etc. I personally like fast, forcefull, rough coasters.[/QUOTE]

That's from the same guy who slammed Magnum for being rough.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what you're doing here. Are you trying to contribute thoughtful conversation, or are you just trying to stir up crap?

Guess what?- judging a coaster by the numbers is pretty ignorant. By your logic, nobody would ever build anything unless it was the biggest, fastest, whatever.

I rode a little coaster this year for the first time that, by the numbers, looks lame. 55 feet tall, and only 45 mph. I saw the stats while standing in line (it's hard to see the coaster because of the way it's built) But, when I saw those numbers, I was expecting Scooby Doo stuff (Beastie to you kids) Let me tell you, I was pleasantly surprised. The only fault I can find with that coaster is the name- Cornball Express (only in Indiana!) Go ahead and judge that one by the numbers- better to not have to wait behind you in line!

Don't get me wrong, I am the first one to say that they will never build a coaster that is tall enough, long enough, or fast enough for me. All those things are good, but there's a LOT more to a coaster than that. That's why TTD is a great ride, but doesn't even make my top five.

By your logic, Mean Streak would therefore be better than the Beast. I think that pretty much sums up my point.
    ThrillNetwork Lead Moderator
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force or Magnum- tough call.

[QUOTE=RaptorXLC]Ever wonder why Dragster and SOB aren't ranked the top steel and top wooden respectively. Because there is more then height and speed.[/QUOTE]

I get what you're saying, but using steel coasters for example probably isn't the best idea since the #1 ranked coaster is Millennium Force which is of course on of the tallest coasters in the world. Plus the top 10 is filled with other hypers as well the only strata-coaster Top Thrill Dragster which is moving on its way up the list to #7 this year, I believe it was.

As for the wood coasters, you're totally right. Of all the wood coasters I have been on, the best has been Viper (SFGAm) which is also one of the smallest I've been on. I haven't been on Raven or Legend since I haven't been to Holiday World yet. But I'm sure one if not both would rank well up on my list if not stealing the top spot from Viper. Of course, there's still Thunderhead to be ridden. Where might that one rank at??? ;)
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME
    Favorites: Amusement Park: 1. Cedar Point 2. SFGAm 3. Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1. The Voyage 2. Viper 3. The Boss 4. Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: 1. Millennium Force 2. Top Thrill Dragster 3. Maverick 4. Raging Bull 5. Raptor

The ONLY thing not good about raven is its length. Its absolutely amazing, especially at night. But, to answer coasterlove's question, Thunderhead is better than raven. My top 5 woodies are 1 - The Beast, 2 - Thunderhead, 3 - The Legend, 4 - The Raven, 5 - Son Of Beast.
    John 14:6 "Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Tie: Top Thrill Dragster and Millennium Force

Ok I hope this discussion is done. We should all be very informed in regards to what makes a coaster good, and that you cannot judge a coaster without even having riden it. OK? Ok.
    Last edited by ErioL; 09-07-2004 at 10:20 AM. Reason: I had to go to the can.

Looping Poster
    You can probably tell from my name that I am a Raven fan.

Raven is a very tempormental coaster. It ranges from better than average to one of the best rides out there. The speed on the ride varies a lot. It always has a great setting and it always rides the track far better than most woodies, but when it is going fast, the ejector air on the 5th drop is incredible in the back and that leads to some of the most out of control yet pain free coaster track in the world.

Personally, I prefer it to Legend, but I can see how others would disagree. Both give awesome night rides. Right now my top 5 wood are 1 Thunderhead 2 Shivering Timbers 3 Avalanche 4 Raven 5 Legend. I could understand how any of those rides could be someones favorite.

As for SOB, it is like a completely different typle of ride. I am not going to bash it, but the ride does not do what we normally expect from a woodie. Don't go to HW looking for something better than SOB; go there to have fun on Raven and Legend.

BTW, I am 800 miles from HW and did not think that 2 coasters were worth the trip. Usually my long trip was to CP. After hearing enough HW worship, I had to make the trip to see what the fuss was all about. I have been back 3 times and don't regret it at all. A park with just a few coasters is not a waisted trip at all if they are good, but it does seem that way before you make the trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast