View Poll Results: Best Classic Ride?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carousel (PTC, Dentzel, Herschell, Looff Chance, etc.)

8 10.39%
  • Tilt-A-Whirl (Sellner)

14 18.18%
  • Scrambler (Eli Bridge, Wisdom Rides)

10 12.99%
  • Ferris Wheel (Numerous manufacturers)

1 1.30%
  • Spider/Octopus/Monster Rides (Eyerly, Schwarzkopf)

4 5.19%
  • Round-Up (Dartron, Hrubetz)

4 5.19%
  • Guided Car Rides (Antique/Turnpike Cars, etc.)

1 1.30%
  • Log Flume (Arrow, Hopkins)

19 24.68%
  • Wave Swinger (Zierer, Zamperla, Chance)

7 9.09%
  • Pirate Ship (Chance, Huss, Zamperla, Fabbri)

9 11.69%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Classic Ride

New Mexico Rattler Poster BryanWood's Avatar

Best Classic Ride

There are numerous classic rides that are "staples" of any good amusement park. I want to know what your favorite is. For me, it's the Tilt-A-Whirl. I love how you can control the ride and if you know how to ride one, get triple spins and make a fun ride a wild ride.

Note: if you respond to this thread, give a reason why it is your favorite. If you just to post your favorite without a reason, it will be deleted.
    Bryan Wood
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebel's, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage, Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath-SFoG, Phantom's Revenge

I love the derby carousels

granted theres only two, but they're freighteningly fast and sort of dangerous. the horses actually race each other.

I am your substitute god willski2002's Avatar
    Tumble Bug; it's a unique ride that you never see anywhere. The one at Kennywood is/was (do they still have it?) a lot of fun, especially when the park was deserted and you could get re-rides.
    Quote Originally Posted by PCW Maniac
    What I'm posting is saying how brave I am and that I don't care about rules! If I lose my camera while making a POV, at least I'll lose it for something.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Raven/Legend | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

I really like all the rides on that poll. Log Flumes, Cars, Wave Swingers, Octopusses, but my favorites are Tilt-a-Whirls and the [Eli] Scramblers.

Tilt-a-Whirl: Love the crazy spinning feeling and the G's they pull when they do the multiple spins.

Scrambler: I like how it looks like you are going to crash into the other seats as they fly past. I also like the Gs. The reason I prefer the Eli scramblers is because they provide a better "kick-off" and spin faster.

My favorite classic carnival flats are the Zipper and the Gravitron.
    Last edited by Dukeis#1; 10-18-2004 at 06:12 PM.
    It's Homespun Fun!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead (Dollywood) | Steel Roller Coaster: Alpengeist, BGW

The best are the log flumes. They are a great way to cool off during a day at a park. They can also be lots of fun.

The flyers, I am gonna go cry now...
    But out of the poll it would be log flume because they can be very compact and thrilling.
    I LOVE ANN COULTER Dont Mess with me, I am an extemporaneous speaker. If you know what that is and what it means, give yourself a cookie. Also I am the only Conservative Libertarian on this site, and proud of it.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: PKI | Wooden Roller Coaster: Son Of Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: MF

Banned
    The Scrambler.

After all these years, it's still one of my all-time favorite flat rides.

James
    well i feel ZIpper should be listed.. as they are just as old as Log RIdes...

but my vote goes to Spider...
    Rideing a nice ketp one set on a long ride.. and its spinning nice is fast is a very very fun thing.. also the bigger "monster" rides like what Cedar Point has. I just wish more parks had the. I guess the best spider ride i have been on is the one at FunSPot in FL.. i was the only one on it last nov i went and they gave me an 8min ride and asked if i wanted more. They also had a paratropper that was different from all the ones i had been on. it ran backwards and very fast at that. it is also the best trooper i have been on..

Tilt-a-Whirl.

The one at Canobie Lake Park is so fun, and it's always been a must ride. I love the multiple spins they do, and just a really fun ride! This coming from a person who isn't really big on flats, but I've always loved the Tilt-a-Whirl!
    The greatest lovers were murderers first
    ETID -She's My Rushmore

New ETID "Gutter Phenomenon"-2005!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: SFNE i guess... | Wooden Roller Coaster: None right now | Steel Roller Coaster: S:ROS at SFNE

New Mexico Rattler Poster BryanWood's Avatar
    For those who think certain rides should be on here, I am referring to rides that are at almost every park or have been at one time or another.
    Bryan Wood
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebel's, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage, Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath-SFoG, Phantom's Revenge

James
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanWood
    For those who think certain rides should be on here, I am referring to rides that are at almost every park or have been at one time or another.

Ok then ;0
    The Chance Rotor! tons of parks had them and a few still do! and the one at Canobie Lake is the best of the 4 i have been on.

I would have to say the Carousel. Virtually every park has them, big or small.

But my favorite out of the list would have to be the classic Log Flume. Arrow's log flumes. I love riding them all. They are so much fun, and most of them don't get you too wet. They just cool you off. The line is always moving fast too, so you just don't stand there, which I hate!! Another plus is that there is no restraints. You are free!
    I just really hope that you think of me, because I'm tryna be unforgettable...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point -- Islands Of Adventure -- Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200 & Phantom's Revenge

Pirate Ship, if you sit at the back and know how to shift your weight right you get tons of airtime

I love the old arrow log flumes as well as many of the others listed.

But it seems like a park isn't complete without at least one log flume. Some parks are lucky enough to have two flumes (Dollywood).

I love the one at Myrtle Beach Pavilion because it has a cool long winding tunnel.

Speaking of flats, is there anywhere on the net that has a database for flats like rcdb does for coasters?
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Mem**r of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Strata Poster
    I would go with the spider. Its a ride almost everyone can enjoy, and its still quite thrilling. Plus its one of the few "spinny rides" that doesn't make me sick.

Favorites: Amusement Park: EPCOT Center | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Top Thrill Dragster

Banned
    I would have to go with a pirate ship, I don't know why a park wouldn't have one. They are so dang fun.

Cedar Point has a special tribute to all of thier "deceased" rides in a graveyard especially made for them at Halloweekends. It has a tombstone for all the rides they have removed. It makes you remember the CP of the past. Some of my childhood favorites were the Pirate Ride, Earthquake, and the Mill Race.
    "Ok, fat ***, we've just traveled 2,460 miles just for a little Roy Wally entertainment. The moose says you're closed. I say you're open!"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Mystery Mine

I like the flume. Man the flume in BGW is awesome. Everytime, everytime I go on that I feel like I'm gonna get cut in half.
    "She's waiting for a prince in shining armor, and I don't even know how to put armor on."
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Texas Cyclone | Steel Roller Coaster: Loch Ness Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    Cedar Point has a special tribute to all of thier "deceased" rides in a graveyard especially made for them at Halloweekends. It has a tombstone for all the rides they have removed. It makes you remember the CP of the past. Some of my childhood favorites were the Pirate Ride, Earthquake, and the Mill Race.
    That's cool. I never knew they did that. That's a good idea. Carowinds could have White Lighting, Oaken Bucket, Carolina Sternwheeler and others.

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

I like the wave swingers that have the steps. At my fair you had to climb up about 5-6 steps to get to the chairs. It made the ride more thrilling because you sailed higher than just the standard wave swinger that was mounted directly on the ground.
    "Back to the 602; It's a 105 in the shade and I'm sippin' on a lemonade. Phoenix, Arizona puts the heat up on ya; I should warn ya the girls is fine as California." - Sir Mix Alot
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Georgia Cyclone | Steel Roller Coaster: Nitro

James
    Quote Originally Posted by bgwfreak
    Speaking of flats, is there anywhere on the net that has a database for flats like rcdb does for coasters?

www.flatrides.com is about the best you will find... unless you know german..

Giga Poster
    The Pirate Ship is my favorite classic ride because you get a lot of air time.

Quote Originally Posted by sfne stinks
    www.flatrides.com is about the best you will find... unless you know german..
    Thanks If it had been a snake, well you know...

rawr!
    I chose the logflumes

Its a shame though that PCW removed theirs and put a SLC in its place

Q
    Favorites: | Wooden Roller Coaster: I have yet to ride a decent woodie :( | Steel Roller Coaster: Dueling Dragons: Ice

I voted for the Tilt-a-whirl, after much deliberation. I love almost all flat rides, and enjoy log flumes just as much, but I had to choose one. Tilts get my vote because they are pure classic, with the great manual brakes, and the free will of the ride. Every ride can be different, sometimes yor car will spin constantly the whole duration, or it my surprise you by building momentum at first by not spinning, before whipping you into a fierce tailspin. Great fun ride, and is still just as wild as most new flats being built today.

I love the log flumes as well. I agree, it was a shame that the removed the Zulu Flume from PCW. There was never a line, so I guess that was a pretty good indicator that it was going to happen. I guess what

I enjoy the most is the theaming that goes with them. Being 40 some odd feet in the air and winding through the tree tops, that's just cool.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Worlds of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Batman Knight Flight

rawr!
    ^It was called Zumba Flume

Q
    Favorites: | Wooden Roller Coaster: I have yet to ride a decent woodie :( | Steel Roller Coaster: Dueling Dragons: Ice

Gotta have the antique cars. Le Mans is great, with the nice field. And the one at Dorney goes through a mini jungle thing.

I do like the Antique Cars. My favorite ones have to be the ones at Hershey. Its neat with all the road signs stateing all the local attractions. I also like the tight layout.

i love the old octopus rides. not the newer ones like at SFA. there was this one whered u sit in little buckets w/ only a seatbelt and these hydraulics would drop u as ur spinning. then it would rush u back up. i think the airtime on that thing out did allllllllllll roller coasters!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast