Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: The Big Question Thread.

But sometimes when I add or subtract 180, the verticies seem like they don't make sense. Is that okay? They still look too warped even after the first pass after I change them.

Looping Poster
    The sections just between the "pass one" non-flipped and 180-flipped might not exactly mach up to that desired +/180 scheme. Again, use lowest possible filter settings for "pass one" which will allow AHG to care for each vertex by itself without "blending in" the adjacent banking values.

small banking wobbles that would remain from inaccurate tweaking will then be smoothed out in pass two, with acoording high to very high filter setting. (which might be desired for a woodie like that anyways)
    Limits? NoLimits!

They aren't small banking wobbles though. Should I have very infrequent verticies? I'm down to less than 100 for a 3000 foot long track.

Looping Poster
    Can't tell from here (my telepathic interface is broken atm), but i'd recommend to set AHG segment leght for pass one to about 9-15 ft. (3-5m)

BTW: for convenience, get latest AHG 1.6 here:
    http://home.arcor.de/busterinwg/NL-AHG_v1_6.zip OR
    http://home.arcor.de/busterinwg/NL-AHG_v1_6.rar
    ...it will remember all the settings.

Also open AHG.ini after first start and change
    "WantSL = 0" to "WantSL = 1". plus:
    "SL = x.xxx" will hold the desired (approx.) length of one segment (in meters)
    AHG will then auto-calc the segment count on your input lenght
    Limits? NoLimits!

I have version 1.2

I'll try this out again

EDIT: I wasn't setting the filter high enough. Now I have to find just the right number so it flows, but also has good banking. I've seen both extremes.

Thanks for the help.

For anyone interested, I'm redoing my terrain GCII for from the May 2005 contest. It should be done in a few weeks.
    Last edited by Jerry S; 05-17-2007 at 06:33 PM.

Here's my question: Can pumping happen in real life; can you see it on real roller coasters or does it only happen in No Limits?

Looping Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Emann View Post
    Here's my question: Can pumping happen in real life; can you see it on real roller coasters or does it only happen in No Limits?
    For ease of (my) writing, I will repost something I had written some time ago on TPR. The following rant is the unaltered post, taken from here:
    http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum...34724&start=16

Ah well... "pumping"... all these misconceptions and half-truths again... no, pumping is NOT about any radius changes in general, this is a very distinct phenomenon.

"Pumping" == from any *unintentional* radius change, where a certain geometry (like circle, ellipse, parabola, clothoid) is not followed the way it originally was meant to be...

AND / OR

"Pumping" == from failing to use enough vertices for resembling any such geometries, since the beziers used in NL are not able to represent these geometries, when used over larger turn angles and/or with longer segments. the radius will then "wobble", where a gradient change should have been

Now please pay attention: Radius changes on real life coasters that might cause "pump-like" movements are very common in fact. Any plain parabola will show such an effect. Nevertheless, all these real life shapes are made up of combinations of *exact* geometries! Hence these effects are *in no way* similar with the "pumping" that's often occurring in NL-tracks.

To precicely resemble such real life "pump-like" motions within NL, one has to entirely re-create the according geometries, which naturally will require top notch track shaping.

Thus, any of the above causes of "pumping" in NoLimits are *entirely* the designer's failure, and can't even be blamed on any technical shortcomings of editor or sim.

Finally, anyone claiming that his NL-track is "pumping" just because some real life counterparts *seem* to do too, is either clueless, severely misinformed, or just a lazy liar.

P.S. You do always ride last car in NL as well? Do you?
    Limits? NoLimits!

Resident Haunt Fanatic Woodie4-07's Avatar
    Is there such a tool that makes steel supports? I'm honestly too lazy to do a whole ride, and I don't have the time.
    Your leading source to Valleyfair!
    HAUNT - MCBS ~ BCC - CACI ~ MA - CE ~ HSF ~ CDD - 2010
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knott's Berry Farms | Wooden Roller Coaster: Renegade | Steel Roller Coaster: Xcelerator

Rollercoaster Trip VI Poster! GaleRazorwind's Avatar
    You can always use the prefabs or use woodie auto supports, select all, and click "convert to (insert support type here)". People do that second method for making GG coasters.
    ^EL TORO^ RULES!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

I think he means as in Steel like for Arrows etc. right?

If so, I've got no clue if such a thing exists.
    o hai. i herd u liek mudkipz?
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point

Inverted Tophat Poster coasterdude28's Avatar
    No. There are no tools that auto support steel coasters. If there are any out there, they were privatly developed and owned by individual users. The closest thing you are going to get is pre-fab supports, which aren't too good.
    Batman and Robin: The Chiller
    1997 - 2007
    Favorites: Amusement Park: safadsg

Hyper Coaster Poster
    Why cant you just build in 3d like RCT?3:@ It gets so annoying changing views all the time...BTW how do you get view your movies taken in NL 1.7???
    Last edited by cooliocody12; 12-15-2007 at 10:17 PM.

I have Steelers fever rckrazy06's Avatar
    Guys, I might be getting NL this week and I need to know, is it compatible with Vista or will I need some kind of patch?
    LETS GO BUCS!!!!!!

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force - Cedar Point

Guys I'd like to start uploading/downloading NL tracks but it keeps saying only registered members may download. I'm logged in any clue what the problem is?

^ Try logging out, clearing your cookies, and logging in through the Main Site entry point (like ThrillNetwork.com, the non-forum log-in on the top right.)

See if that fixes it?
    ThrillNetwork Editor (past tense: lectricShark)
    Never forget justice is what love looks like in public. -- OXFAM

And in the end we lie awake and we dream of making our escape.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags AstroWorld or Six Flags Over Texas. | Wooden Roller Coaster: Texas Cyclone (RIP). | Steel Roller Coaster: Titan.

What has happend with No limits 2, are they still making it ?
    Manta roller coaster 2009
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six flags | Wooden Roller Coaster: Gwazi | Steel Roller Coaster: Sheikra

The original Maverick since 99 CP Maverick's Avatar
    according to ole on nolimitscoaster.de he is hoping early 2010 for release
    Holy CoW! - another NoLimits project

RIP Geauga Lake 1888-2007
    F CF
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Beast (Kings Island) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (Cedar Point)

Question Re: NoLimits 2

Is there someplace to post what we'd like to see in NL2?
    Retro.Bob
    Made on a Mac
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Magic Mountain. Cedar Point once I get there. | Wooden Roller Coaster: NOT Ghost Rider! OMG! | Steel Roller Coaster: Any steel coaster with inversions, inversions & did I say inversions?

Howdy.

It has been a while since I have logged into this site. Anyways, does anyone have the 1.5 or 1.55 update for windows? they seem to have taken it down from nolimitscoaster.com and the thrillnetwork link as well.
    With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: bush gardens williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: J2 aka tsunami | Steel Roller Coaster: drachen fire rip

I'm the good looking one Steven's Avatar
    If you contact Ole at NoLimits Roller Coaster Simulation - The Ultimate Roller Coasters Simulator for PC and Mac, he might be able to see what can be done. If not, you might just want to upgrade to the latest version and go through whatever process is required. While our site used to mirror them, we've had a major redesign since then, with another one around the corner.

I also know that work does continue on NL2. Early 2010 came and went, and still no NL2. But we've been in contact with Ole and Tom (a former mod/admin, who works on the project), and all I really have to say is life gets in the way.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567