Thread: Best & Worst about working at a park.

Intimidating Poster! Carowinds 73-03's Avatar

Best & Worst about working at a park.

What do you like the best about working at an amusement park & what did you hate about it?

I work at Dip n' Dots at SFNE and i love dip n' dots and I love the enviroment in the park. But I hate being in my stand watching the rides go, watching people have a good time, and watching Superman drop and just wishing I didn't have to work so I could go on the rides and have fun.

Wooo a Dip n' Dots man! lol
    What I liked is going home early because its raining with all my friends, then staying in the park for the rest of the day with no lines.
    What I hated is when their were long lines for people wanting tickets that would never end. But I got used to it.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Kingda Ka/Top Thrill Dragster

Well...

i think the best thing about working at Kennywood would be that we get in free and not having to wait in line when you go as a guest.(we're really not suppose to go through the exit to ride but if you know someone running the ride they'll let you do that). And since i worked in kiddie land last summer, i would have to say dealing with bad little kids and their dumb parents would be the worst thing. BUT, i lost 15 pounds in kiddie land chasing kids around all day so that was a plus lol.
    Last edited by PGH_Steeler; 01-09-2005 at 09:36 PM.
    Kennywood Team Member 2004 Kiddieland
    2005 Racer/Jack Rabbit Crew
    2006 Racer/Skycoaster/Paddle Boats Crew
    2007 Thunderbolt/Turtle/Gold Rusher Crew
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderbolt | Steel Roller Coaster: Phantom's Revenge

The best thing is the free admission to all SF parks and properties, getting comp tickets for friends, meeting new people, the atmosphere..
    the downside - *****y guests, thick uniforms that make the 100degree weather feel like 200degrees, stupid people, feeling grose the entire day because of the heat, bad leads who dont know how to rotate... but we're pretty good at getting rid of 'em. ( for anyone who worked @ SFFT...i think im the only one though. Hopefully, I'll be a "mavolous" lead.), etc...the list goes on.

Looping Poster
    The thing I hated most was that because I am way past 18 years old is that when I would come into work about 4:00 PM I had to take the first break at like 5 and go the rest of the night with out one. Also doing the wee wee dance until some one could come and break you so you could goooo! as in nature is calling lol Oh yea running out of water to drink when its 100 degrees out.

What I liked was last rides, rainy days when its quiet. Being on the ride you like best. Picnics for us and after hours parties. Oh and trips.
    Last edited by Sandy W; 01-10-2005 at 05:02 PM.
    Please remain seated until the ride comes to a full and complete stop.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Rye Playland | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL

lol

dang wildefyre that was a good list lol. but i never became a park Bi*ch lol. i asked to go to different rides just so i could get out of kiddie land. any chance i could get out i would lol. and i never had a whole line boo at me lol that is tooooo crazy. and its funny how we all like days where there is hardly anyone in the park lol. i can't wait to start back. those were the days lol.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderbolt | Steel Roller Coaster: Phantom's Revenge

Let gravity do the work.
    When I worked at Knott's this past summer, what I enjoyed the most was the free admission to the park and discounted food prices in the employee dining areas. I thought that working at the park would be like me visiting as a paying customer, except I'm in uniform and "behind the scenes" working a ride all day (which is what I did). The feeling and atmosphere is different and not the same as if you were a visitor (obviously). I really can't explain the feeling, it's a little hard to. It's just...different. But of course the worst part about it was the minimum wage pay and the LONG hours they give you - which really isn't that much (averaged about 8 hours a day), but because the Calico Railroad is a fast paced, non-stop work ride that requires constant movement, attention, and alertness, then you get exhausted very quickly.

see in kiddie land 8 hours would seem kinda long cause you gotta do so much but when i would go and extra out in the big park, it wouldn't seem that long cause they don't do real work there. they push buttons and check seatbelts real quick. its not hard. nobody know's how hard it is to work in the kiddie section unless they've worked there. it's horrible.
    Last edited by Hector; 01-11-2005 at 03:56 PM. Reason: removed needless quote

Nice list Wyldefire, now I know the ups and downs about working at a park.

Best and worst things huh? I wanna make a list now.

Best
    Seeing how everything is thrown together.
    The atmosphere
    The wonderful people from all over the world you meet (employees and guest)
    Free admission of course
    Always see someone you know when your playing in the park either at a store, food stand, or operating a ride.
    Getting to apply my almost useless in the outside world coaster knowledge
    Cafeteria food (MMMmmm mega bite cookies are the freakin best!)

Worst
    When it downpoars rain and you forgot your rainsuit, and you get a call to a location on the otherside of the park
    You forget your belt and end up going to wardrobe for like the 5th time of the season to buy a new one cause you know your manager will say something if you don't.
    When you come in midday and the parking lot is gridlocked and you can't find a space. Then end up walking from like 75K to the timeclock.

When I think of more I'll post them.
    "foolish earthlings, cower before the awesome techno onslaught of nine-hundred-and-nine robots dancing in unison"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick

Do you wear your uniform home? I know we have to have some kind of clearence for it. But why dont you just leave your belt on your pants? Or do you take it home and wash it then forgot it.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Kingda Ka/Top Thrill Dragster

It usually happens on the mornings I wake up late. Its amazing, it seems like I jump out of my bed, land in my uniform, all while running out the door. Fortunately I leave my electric razor in my car so I can shave if I forget at home. I usually forget my belt, and my pens (which really annoys me. for some reason I just have a bad day if I forget my own pen, and have to use a crappy bic from the office or something) on these days though.
    "foolish earthlings, cower before the awesome techno onslaught of nine-hundred-and-nine robots dancing in unison"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick