Thread: Phantoms Revenge at kennywood

Phantoms Revenge at kennywood

Here's a clip you can download of the phantoms revenge. its the whole ride. i just noticed it's not very long its just going up the hill that takes forever lol. thats not on it though thank goodness lol. i was mad when they changed the steel phantom to the phantom's revenge cause they took the loops out. its still fun to ride though. holla 1

http://elvis.rowan.edu/%7Edenton/vid...%20revenge.mpg

for those who been on this ride before, what do yall think of it?
    Last edited by Chip; 01-10-2005 at 02:05 AM. Reason: EDIT, don't double post
    Kennywood Team Member 2004 Kiddieland
    2005 Racer/Jack Rabbit Crew
    2006 Racer/Skycoaster/Paddle Boats Crew
    2007 Thunderbolt/Turtle/Gold Rusher Crew
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderbolt | Steel Roller Coaster: Phantom's Revenge

I've been on the ride but I'm not looking at the video because, well for one I don't want to see it . And second, I've seen one of it over at www.themeparkreview.com that's really good also.

The ride is intense, insane, and as stellar air!!! (I had to say that!!)
    I just really hope that you think of me, because I'm tryna be unforgettable...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point -- Islands Of Adventure -- Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200 & Phantom's Revenge

It's probably my favorite steel coaster based on airtime. Also the classic rides around it really help it's case as well. I am sort of glad they took out the old phantom because I think Phantom's Revenge looks like it would be a lot better with the airtime, but I would have liked to ride it with the inversions.

Banned
    I've been on it, and it's awesome.

The air time on it is insane, especially in the back seat. Also, the bottom of the second drop has a head chopper that literally looks like...well, it's going to chop your head off.

Great ride.

Wooden Poster
    I absolutely love Phantom's Revenge. My 2nd favorite steel coaster! The airtime is just glorious! I want to go to Kennywood again just for this beast. Of course, there are other great rides there too.
    WDW CP - Spring & Fall 2006 - Entertainment Performer
    WDWCP Alumni - Spring 2005 - Living Seas/Soarin'
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Boulderdash | Steel Roller Coaster: Superman: Ride of Steel (SFNE)

Corkscrew Poster
    Phantom's Revenge was the sleeper hit on my east coast trip this past summer. I had ridden Steel Phantom and was less than excited about it so I was expecting the same for PR. Well, I was wrong, PR is pretty darn wicked, far exceeding SP in my mind. Airtime is great but, yes, it is very short. It didn't breach my top 10, but PR is definently a must ride.

They may have taken out the inversions, but many people are going to say thats for the best. They were rough, Im sure. Especially at 70mph...or 85..or whatever it was. anyway, I think morgan did an excellent job taking the first parts of the ride and making it a true airtime hyper.
    New address, new forums, better ePirate -- Gopirate.net.

I love Sidecar on Mainstreet!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

/\ I agree. And also, with the zero space that they have, it was needed. They needed a good steel coaster and they basically re-did this one and so it's basically another coaster. But IMO, it's way better now and it changed for the better!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point -- Islands Of Adventure -- Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200 & Phantom's Revenge

Well seeing how it's only about 5-10 minutes tops away from my house, I get to ride it a lot in the summer...And to tell you the truth, when it first opened, it was worth waiting 2-3 hours for, but Kennywood is so dead these days, it's even better. The most I've ridden it in a day is about 20 times...Walk ons all day and this is one of my favorites if not favorite hyper and far surpasses the Magnum which should receive the same facelift the Phantom did 4 years ago. Even after the rides 3rd year, I still think that the park could be dubbed with something else exciting like a new coaster to fit in with the Phantom but with the lack of space I can't see that happening soon. It's a great coaster and I feel sorry for anyone that doesn't have the privledge or ability to ride it. I don't my rights for granted.

The original Maverick since 99 CP Maverick's Avatar
    Magnum kicks PRs a** any day of the week.

*Hands EastCoastn07 a Reality Check*

Don't spend it all in one place.

Phantom's Revenge is good, not really great though. It just seems that much better because Kennywood's rides are so simple. PR in a lot of other parks would be overlooked.
    Holy CoW! - another NoLimits project

RIP Geauga Lake 1888-2007
    F CF
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Beast (Kings Island) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (Cedar Point)

There is nothing wrong with Magnum. In all the times I've been on it, not once was I hurt, and I rode it 10x in a row (thats alot for someone who only gets to go for a few hours a year on rainy days). In all honesty, you guys are whining about nothing, Magnum is a great ride, especially with no trims, great airtime and great layout.

Yes, Phantom is also a great hyper, Morgan did a great job redoing the ride. I mean, the drop under Thunderbolt is amazing, but I still prefer Magnum.

I've seen videos and read reviews, and found out that Phatom's Revenge is a great ride. Well, of course i haven't been to a theme park out of socal. But I socal. It is sooooo nice.
    "Get ready Screamers! Head back, face forward, and hang on!" *music*
    "Launch in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1!"-California Screamin @ DCA
    Ride Count on California Screamin-123
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Magic Mountain | Wooden Roller Coaster: GhostRider at Knott's Berry Farm | Steel Roller Coaster: X at Six Flags Magic Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by WildeFyre
    There is nothing wrong with Magnum. In all the times I've been on it, not once was I hurt, and I rode it 10x in a row (thats alot for someone who only gets to go for a few hours a year on rainy days). In all honesty, you guys are whining about nothing, Magnum is a great ride, especially with no trims, great airtime and great layout.

Yes, Phantom is also a great hyper, Morgan did a great job redoing the ride. I mean, the drop under Thunderbolt is amazing, but I still prefer Magnum.
    Thank you! What a great way of summing it up to all the people who say Magnum sucks because it's so rough!!

I think what makes PR so good is it's location. The 225 (is that right) first drop looking out onto the river makes it so good, and that it's so intense.

But I think they could easily added another turn and made it into like a figure out. That would of been cool.

Or a helix around Pit Fall or like a turn, like the old one did. But it's still a great coaster and keeps you coming back for more! (Which are always the best ones).

If people think the drop makes the whole ride, then they're wrong. I've seen better drops on other hypies (Pepsi Max, Goliath, Etc.) and they're much more fun. I say that on hypies the airtime makes the ride. It's just so beautiful. Those few seconds of weightlessness on hypies make my day.

EDIT: Not on the subject, but why do some hypies refer to phatoms in their names? I was just curious.
    "Get ready Screamers! Head back, face forward, and hang on!" *music*
    "Launch in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1!"-California Screamin @ DCA
    Ride Count on California Screamin-123
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Magic Mountain | Wooden Roller Coaster: GhostRider at Knott's Berry Farm | Steel Roller Coaster: X at Six Flags Magic Mountain

Well, since it's so tall and fast those type names are always good.

I love the drop on Phantom's Revenge. It's very steep IMO and it has a nice head chopper. Then at the bottom it's very intense and you have all of that foilage (sp?) around you and there's nothing else down there. And then the river is right there and all of that factory stuff. It's a huge steep ravine. Kinda scary if you ask me. Thinking "Do we have enough speed to get all the way back up there!"

Suspended Poster RllrCoasterFan's Avatar
    I love the second drop and the turn around after that but other than that I thought the ride was just a bit boring and simple. The factory right in front of you or to the left (?) takes away from the experience.
    SCREWED UP
    From T-TOWN 2 H-TOWN
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast, Mean Streak, and Wild Cat(Frontier City) | Steel Roller Coaster: TTD, Millennium Force, Titan, Raptor, Wildfire, and many others...

I agree about the factories taking away from the experience. Before I went to Kennywood I looked at all these pictures of Thunderbolt, Jack rabbit, and Phantom and saw all these awesome looking ravines and forests. But when I got to the park I was happy that those ravines were there for some rides, as it really helped add to the effect, but seeing all mills and factories took away from the experience.

To me all of the ride is good. From the first tight turning drop to the second steep, long, head chopping drop to the turn around by the river with the factory in the front and then another head chopper and the turn around the tumble bug and then the stellar air. It's all good to me. It's short and sweet though. It ends with tons of speed and it makes you wanting more.

I am your substitute god willski2002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMAN123
    If people think the drop makes the whole ride, then they're wrong. I've seen better drops on other hypies (Pepsi Max, Goliath, Etc.) and they're much more fun. I say that on hypies the airtime makes the ride. It's just so beautiful. Those few seconds of weightlessness on hypies make my day.

EDIT: Not on the subject, but why do some hypies refer to phatoms in their names? I was just curious.
    Dude, Pepsi Max's drop sucks. In fact, the whole ride sucks: the airtime hills aren't steep enough, and after the mcbr the ride just....dies. Rough turns and transitions, and its terribly overpriced. Goliath and airtime in the same sentence? What? Goiath has air on the first drop and a little on the third hill. There's almost no airime after the first drop, and besides, Goliath is about speed and intensity (cough cough:awesometastic helix: cough cough).
    Quote Originally Posted by PCW Maniac
    What I'm posting is saying how brave I am and that I don't care about rules! If I lose my camera while making a POV, at least I'll lose it for something.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Raven/Legend | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force