Thread: PKI Opening Day (4/9/05)

Wink PKI Opening Day (4/9/05)

My father, brother and I left my house in Circleville and made the hour and a half trip to PKI last Saturday. With all three of us being in ACE, we got in for $21.99 each. Pretty cool. We met some other members over at the plaque and made the traditional walk-back to the Beast. This has been a long standing tradition with the park for over 20 years. I was pleased to see that they will be offering The Italian Job as an option when it opens up. Waking up to the Beast first thing in the morning was great. We got two rides on in a row--they let us stay on. I was a little saddend to see that the soundtrack that they had last year was not playing. I didn't hear it that night either. The speakers were there but nothing was coming out.

After trying to get on Tomb Raider and seeing it was down, we then rode Vortex. Then after that, we rode the Spongebob Ride. My older brother had not ridden it. So, against my dad's protests we all rode it.

After that came Flight Of Fear. Still one of my favorite rides. Did not disappoint me at all.

After that came the Racer. Tom and Dad rode the front and I rode the backwards one. It was great because this was actually one of the rare occasions were they were racing. We climbed the lift hill together and off we went. Our train won. For some reason, going backwards seems smoother than frontwards ( I rode frontwards later in the day).

We also rode Adventure Express. Our train stopped on the final lift. The animatronic drum beaters stopped and the music went off and everything. Kind of creepy for a few minutes.

Delerium was fun as always. Top Gun was good but still too short. Plus they were only running one train, So the wait was so not worth it.

Face Off was down until 3:30. We finally rode it. My dad hates it because it has the worst hourly capacity of any coaster at the park. But I still enjoy the pop of air you get when you are let go from the hill.

Dad and I hit Drop Zone early. Good, but I still prefer Power Tower.

SOB was a walk-on all day. The Action Zone was pretty much empty until 3pm. I was not used to seeing that. Even when the other rides in that area were longer waits, it was still a walk on--I'm sure you can guess why. One ride reminded me why. Ohh the jack-hammering!!!!

One of the highlights of the day was the opening of the "Happy Days Diner." Marion Ross (Mrs. Cunningham) rode up in a black limo and dedicated the building. She invited us all in to eat. But the crowd was enormous so we ate at Fest Haus. I wish I could have eaten at the Diner because when we went back later and saw the menu we were surprised. You can get a hamburger, waffle fries and a drink for $7.25. My lunch at Fest Haus cost $11. Everything in there was ala cart.

We had finished riding all the coasters by 5 so we ran around and rode a few flats. Here is the list:

Viking Fury
    Zephyr
    Shake Rattle & Roll
    Scooby Doo & The Haunted Castle (I WON!)
    Railroad Train to Boomerang Bay

Tomb Raider was down all day....bummer

We actually rode the Wild Thornberry's River Adventure by my brother's request. Picture 3 grown men riding in this thing together. Now stop laughing. I got the wettest and my jeans were soaked ( I sat in front).

I wanted to ride the Beast once more before we left. Big mistake. What seemed to be new trainee slowness turned into mechanical problems for EVERY train on the ride. Those of us waiting in line could not figure out why what seemed to be a 15 min line took almost 50. There were certain cars on every train (two towards the front and 6 in the back) that they were having problems with on every unload. The lap bars would not unlock and the people could not get out. So the ride ops had to run over take this little tool, stick it in this slot on the car's side and unlock it manually. This happened with not only one partictular train but with EVERY train. And after a while I could predict what section of the train would have problems. Does anyone know what could have caused this to happen on every train? Is there some sort of mechanism on the side of the track that is supposed to release the locks? It seemed to me that they should have just shut the ride down and fixed it instead of having to fool with each car repeatedly. But I am no expert. So what should have been a 15-20 min wait took almost an hour. Not good for opening day, Beast!

So, aside from the Beast giving my dad a fit, it was a pretty good day. Oh yeah--and the Eiffel Tower was closed for repainting...that sucked as well.

Beautiful weather that day.
    The IJST looks to be a lot of fun. Can't wait until media day. I don't think I will be back in April, so the chances of me getting to participate in a "techincal rehearsal" are not very good.

That's all I have to say about that.
    Last edited by Griswold; 04-11-2005 at 12:37 AM.
    "Ok, fat ***, we've just traveled 2,460 miles just for a little Roy Wally entertainment. The moose says you're closed. I say you're open!"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Mystery Mine

Quick question, I'm heading up there next month. Where do you meet for the walk-back to Beast???
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Mem**r of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

There is a plaque on the pavement once you get inside the park. After you go through the turnstiles, walk over by the first set of bathrooms. The ACE marker should be on the ground near the "Girl's Space" souvenier shop on the right of International Street.
    "Ok, fat ***, we've just traveled 2,460 miles just for a little Roy Wally entertainment. The moose says you're closed. I say you're open!"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Mystery Mine

Thanks! Can't wait for Beast in the early a.m.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Mem**r of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

I am your substitute god willski2002's Avatar
    On all PTC trains, you have to use the little stick release thingy to unlock the seats. That sucks, I hope the Beast isn't like that all year. Probably just opening day glitches.
    Quote Originally Posted by PCW Maniac
    What I'm posting is saying how brave I am and that I don't care about rules! If I lose my camera while making a POV, at least I'll lose it for something.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Raven/Legend | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

One of the highlights of the day was the opening of the "Happy Days Diner." Marion Ross (Mrs. Cunningham) rode up in a black limo and dedicated the building. She invited us all in to eat. But the crowd was enormous so we ate at Fest Haus. I wish I could have eaten at the Diner because when we went back later and saw the menu we were surprised. You can get a hamburger, waffle fries and a drink for $7.25. My lunch at Fest Haus cost $11. Everything in there was ala cart.

^i was there too, and did the same thing, accept i went to skyline to get some coneys for breakfast instead xD....man, i was dissapointed at the ACE thing though. i really need to join. i mean, when i walked by ijst, i thought it was just a crowd of spectators. i didnt know it was an ACE event =(.

you got in alot more rides than me, but then agen, i was only there from 10-3, so yeah... also, i was the dude in the black fearsome five shirt, since you might have seen me while i was at the gate to ijst...
    Coaster count: 62
    2005 season: PKI, HP, Coney (Ohio), CP
    RIP King Cobra
    Favorites: Amusement Park: CP | Wooden Roller Coaster: Beast, Rattler(SFFT),SoB | Steel Roller Coaster: Anything steel at CP, King Cobra

Will he use it for good or.... Ta2KX's Avatar
    Great TR Griswold, I know you'd be really happy though if you could be submitting a TR from Lesourdsville Lake. I hope Screechin Eagle isn't demolished before I get a chance to ride it. That's pretty funny that Adventure Express stopped you on the final lift, I haven't had that opportunity yet. If it was running 3 trains, likely the crew didn't dispatch the next couple trains after yours fast enough and the ride did a set-up. Cedar Creek Mine Ride sets up like that, and a worker has to go out to the lift and press a buttom there to start it back up again. But those crazy statues, I can't help but laugh at them every time I ride.

willski2002, I don't think that the manual release on all PTC's are the same. Beast has that stick device of sort, Mean Streak has a small eyelet that sticks out of the top of the lap bar mechanism box, and we had to use a L-shaped tool with a handle and yank up on that eyelet. And it likely isn't opening day glitches, it was a daily routine on Mean Streak for our crew, Red train 1-1, 6-2, Green 3-1, Gold 1-1, there were defects on the spring loaded plungers that released the lap bars that were never fixed. Plus I talked to a worker on Beast last season, and he said the lap bars were a chronic problem for them as well.
    Thank you for riding Reaper! Drop Ride to Doom, and remember to desecrate a sanctuary today.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200, employee mode

The only thing about the ACE thing was that I happened to be there and didn't even know about the tour. I had no idea they were doing it and didnt even get to go on the tour. I was pretty ticked when I heard they did it. Oh well.

Intimidating Poster! Carowinds 73-03's Avatar
    Nice TR.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes
    Quick question, I'm heading up there next month. Where do you meet for the walk-back to Beast???

What day are you going Wes? I was acually going next month also.