Thread: Rollercoaster Decapitation?

Rollercoaster Decapitation?

I read this story about some rollercoaster going into the wrong station (the maintenance garage with the door half-open) with several passengers on board. Some of them were decapitated.

I think it happened many years ago...any know anything about this?

Intimidating Poster! Carowinds 73-03's Avatar
    I hswear i heard something about that also but i think a worker was on the ride not guest. I could be wrong though.

If anyone knows more i would also like to know about it. A link would be awsome.

.... would say something sarcastic. but wont.

I have never heard of this story before. More info would be cool.

From [url]http://www.rideaccidents.com:[/url]

"Wednesday, July 9, 1980 - A 26-year-old male was killed at an amusement park in Missouri when the ride operator of a roller coaster mistakenly assumed that the train in which the victim was riding was empty, and switched the track to direct the train into a service area. The area in which the service track ran through was of low clearance, and the victim's head got jammed between the back of his seat and an overhead wooden beam. At least one other person was injured in the accident."
    How's this for school? Walt Disney World. Yep, you read that right. I'm here from 8/23/04 to 1/03/05 working in Fantasyland, and sometimes Tommorowland.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Son of Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force & Top Thrill Dragster

Eh, that is more than 25 years ago. I don't see anything like that happening now. But that sucks for that guy. How could the person not see that a guy was in the train?

"Duck!!!" "Watch your head!!!"

I'm curious what coaster this was and why the rider didn't do any of the things I suggested above. I think most coasters, you would be able to lower your head enough to clear anything above your head. Of course, it could have been going relatively fast or some other circumstance that made it impossible to do. I guess it would depend on what coaster it was since many coasters have backings on the seat that are almost as high as most riders heads would be. And of course the entrance would have to be at least high enough to allow for the top of the seat to clear it.

Also, this was a long time ago and while safety is always important, as time passes most things get safer and have many precautions, not just coasters but everything. You would think and hope something like this wouldn't happen again but no matter what, there will always be carelessness. That's why you have suspended coasters hitting maintenance vehicles, workers putting a garbage can or something on a kiddie coaster while it was running, a customer chasing down an all important hat under an inverted coaster (we all know how that turned out), etc.
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME
    Favorites: Amusement Park: 1. Cedar Point 2. SFGAm 3. Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1. The Voyage 2. Viper 3. The Boss 4. Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: 1. Millennium Force 2. Top Thrill Dragster 3. Maverick 4. Raging Bull 5. Raptor

did he really get decapitated? it sounds like his head was jammed and broke his neck. still, that is so gross!! he must not have been paying attention if he couldnt' see he was heading for a low clearance beam. and the reains usually dont go very fast into those things. its about the same speed as it exits the station.

Inverted Tophat Poster coasterdude28's Avatar
    Sounds like that hurt. That must ahve been one big lawsuit.
    Batman and Robin: The Chiller
    1997 - 2007
    Favorites: Amusement Park: safadsg

Been Here Since the Begining Sir Willow's Avatar
    I know that the Whizzer coaster in CA had a major head injury when some guy was stupid and stood up on it. Don't know if it decapitated him or not, but it did kill him when his head was hit.
    Have you read my number 1 best seller? There will be a test! ~God
    Life with God is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
    My park & coaster photos: Sir Willow's Smugmug pictures
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, Bonfante Gardens, Holiday World, SFGrAm, Legoland and Disneyland | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix,Thunderhead- Dollywood, NM Rattler, Raven & Legend- HW, Viper- SFGrAm, Giant Dipper-SCBB | Steel Roller Coaster: X!!, Goliath, Talon, Millenium Force, Montu, Kumba, others

I don't think your head could get decapitated, but could be severely injured for live. There's almost no chance that could happen now.

When I was little, I used to hear of Space Mountain having low beams and decapitating a woman who was standing up? Since then, the ride was modified, and reopened (whatever it was). Maybe that was one of those made-up stories, though...I don't know. Someone tell if you've ever heard of that before.

The Space Mountain one is an old urban legend. I have seen and ridden WDW's SM with the lights on and can tell you that it's cramped, and it looks like you're going to be decapitated everytime, but I still have my head.
    Last edited by CoasterJunkie; 04-19-2005 at 09:28 PM.
    How's this for school? Walt Disney World. Yep, you read that right. I'm here from 8/23/04 to 1/03/05 working in Fantasyland, and sometimes Tommorowland.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Son of Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force & Top Thrill Dragster

Yeah, I've heard that story. You do look like you'll hit your head on Space Mountain, but I seriously doubt they've ever been "head-choppers" in the literal sense.
    Aaron Cedoras: Thrillnetwork Story Editor
    "Dead men tell no tales..."

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force and Steel Dragon 2000. I can't make up my mind between the two, so don't ask.

[QUOTE=Sir Willow]I know that the Whizzer coaster in CA had a major head injury when some guy was stupid and stood up on it. Don't know if it decapitated him or not, but it did kill him when his head was hit.[/QUOTE]

This one?:
    [font=verdana]Saturday, March 29, 1980 - A 13-year-old boy was killed in an accident on the Willard's Whizzer roller coaster at Marriott's Great America theme park in Santa Clara, California. The victim was attempting to board the ride when he was struck from behind by another car. Several other people were injured in the accident. Great America is now owned and operated by Paramount.

What about the Texas Cyclone incident years ago? Wasn't it because he was so tall that on the last hill his head was plastered onto a support beam? I dont think that was a decapitation, but that is why the ride has a max height for the back car ;)

[/font]

Why only the back car? That's stupid.
    I like the Zingo a lot.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Magic Mountain | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum (with no trims), and Phantom's Revenge

Because of the ejector air, I believe. Back in its heyday, the Texas Cyclone was one of the most horrifying roller coasters on the planet, but has since been tamed, with the accident being a big part of it.

That would suck being on those trains!
    Xbox 360 gamertag: JLF181

Hi! I am a forum signature virus. Please copy/paste me to your signature to help me spread!

Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventures | Wooden Roller Coaster: Lighting Racer | Steel Roller Coaster: Kingda Ka

that is scary. It seems like something that would be in a final destination movie.
    ▌------0-120mph------▌4sec ↑420ft ↓420ft
    Favorites: Amusement Park: CP | Wooden Roller Coaster: Texas Giant | Steel Roller Coaster: Top Thrill Dragster

Been Here Since the Begining Sir Willow's Avatar
    [QUOTE=RamblinWreck]This one?:
    [font=verdana]Saturday, March 29, 1980 - A 13-year-old boy was killed in an accident on the Willard's Whizzer roller coaster at Marriott's Great America theme park in Santa Clara, California. The victim was attempting to board the ride when he was struck from behind by another car. Several other people were injured in the accident. Great America is now owned and operated by Paramount.
    [/font][/QUOTE]

I'll have to do some looking up, but I don't think that was it. As I remember (and the memory gets fuzzy as you get older) it was a guy that stood up while it was running. They closed the coaster after that, and the next year it was gone, which would put the incident I'm thinking of in the 1987-1988 range. Don't see it listed on rideaccidents though, so I'll have to do some checkign when I have free time. (free time? what's that?)
    Have you read my number 1 best seller? There will be a test! ~God
    Life with God is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
    My park & coaster photos: Sir Willow's Smugmug pictures
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, Bonfante Gardens, Holiday World, SFGrAm, Legoland and Disneyland | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix,Thunderhead- Dollywood, NM Rattler, Raven & Legend- HW, Viper- SFGrAm, Giant Dipper-SCBB | Steel Roller Coaster: X!!, Goliath, Talon, Millenium Force, Montu, Kumba, others

[QUOTE=Hammy2003]When I was little, I used to hear of Space Mountain having low beams and decapitating a woman who was standing up? Since then, the ride was modified, and reopened (whatever it was). Maybe that was one of those made-up stories, though...I don't know. Someone tell if you've ever heard of that before.[/QUOTE]

I've been on it with the lights on. Some of the beams are so low that it makes the ride seem scarier with the lights on then with them off. It's awesome.

i can't believe something like that would happen. I mean, ride ops are suppose to know if someone was in the train before it left the station.
    Kennywood Team Member 2004 Kiddieland
    2005 Racer/Jack Rabbit Crew
    2006 Racer/Skycoaster/Paddle Boats Crew
    2007 Thunderbolt/Turtle/Gold Rusher Crew
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderbolt | Steel Roller Coaster: Phantom's Revenge

Hi, guys..my first post here ,lol.. I am not sure if the person was actually decapitated..but rumor has it that the Lakeside Amusement Park in Salem, VA closed becuase its only rollercoaster, The Shooting Star killed a maintence man as he was cutting grass under it....how I really do not know..this was years and years ago when i was about 12 or 13.
    LADYM
    LadyM's Place
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens, Wlliamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Rebel Yell | Steel Roller Coaster: Apollo's Chariot