Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 8 Person Project

The Maxamillious X-ffect Maxamillious's Avatar
    Hey add me.
    I will do support work. And also i can make anything out of wood as well. So i mean a woodie would be best for me. But i can make massive custom satations with wood. Anyway i want to help out so add me down on the Support list.
    Thanks.

- Max

rawr!
    Are there any G force restrictions Jim? Of course I'll keep it realistic, but do you want low g forces? Or higher g's, up in the 4 g range?

Q
    Favorites: | Wooden Roller Coaster: I have yet to ride a decent woodie :( | Steel Roller Coaster: Dueling Dragons: Ice

rawr!
    Hey dudes,

Little update. I havn't been able to talk to Erik yet, other than a few private messages, but it seems like he would prefer to do a floorless B&M....Well, I really couldn't wait to get started and I was really bored so I did start the trackwork. If Erik doesn't like it, then we can always start over, lol.
    Right now the track is about 145-150' tall with a 142' drop. The maximum vertical angle that is achieved on the first drop is 70 degrees.
    After the frist drop the train barrels into a vertical loop and then straight into a cobra roll.
    Jim, I also made a new project page for this thing on my NLDC account. Umm, if you want to make your official one on your account and take care of all the screenshots and stuff, just let me know and I'll take the page down out of my account.
    The screenshots can be found here; http://nldc.interfix.net/p560
    I have also attatched the track file for anyone who wants to take a peak at what the track looks like so far. Some minor notes though;

• Its not the final track, so there are some banking twitches on the station dropout thing.
    • There is no banking on the loop, yet.
    • I didn't include the cobra roll because the entrance is really jacked up at the moment and I am in the works of making it smaller so that the train speeds through it, instead of slowing down alot at the top.
    • Feel free to point out anything that you see wrong with the track so far.
    Cheers,
    Attached Files Attached Files

Q
    Favorites: | Wooden Roller Coaster: I have yet to ride a decent woodie :( | Steel Roller Coaster: Dueling Dragons: Ice

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxamillious
    Hey add me.
    I will do support work. And also i can make anything out of wood as well. So i mean a woodie would be best for me. But i can make massive custom satations with wood. Anyway i want to help out so add me down on the Support list.
    Thanks.

- Max
    Sorry but all the supports slots are filled. If one of them drops out I'll put you in though.

Trackwork looks great so far. About g-forces, I don't know floorless coasters but I would say <4.0 vertical and <1.3 lateral. Remember to make this a terrained coaster also (I didn't look if you did this) make the station higher than the very bottom of the first drop by 40 feet or so. (I didn't look if you did this either) if you can, make this coaster break the height, speed, length, and # of inversions record. Unless you think that takes too much of the realism out.

Pipes, looks good so far and like jim said lets break a record with it Also, it probably should be heartlined if your not already doing so.

Jim are you going to come up with a name or are we going to have to vote on one?
    Im the stupidest genius alive!!!

Im better at something then everyone.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Viper (SFGAm) | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200

Looks good. The only think I see is that the bottom of the drop is really close to the ground, so supports will be very hard to see. (Sort of unrealistic, as most coasters have 10 or so feet to the ground at the bottom of the track) But you're doing the trackwork, so you decide what is right.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy_1234567
    Looks good. The only think I see is that the bottom of the drop is really close to the ground, so supports will be very hard to see. (Sort of unrealistic, as most coasters have 10 or so feet to the ground at the bottom of the track) But you're doing the trackwork, so you decide what is right.
    Thats what terraforming is for

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Viper (SFGAm) | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200

Banned
    ^Exactly!

About a name. Since we all worked on it I think we should a vote, but then again. I am doing 3ds otherwise known as theming and a proper name must fit the theme. First we need a theme and the quickest we can come up with that is after terraforming. At that point we will have a sense of the ride and can come up with a theme and thus a name!

Oh, I haven't terrafromed yet, so I thought you couldn't lower the ground farther than in the editor. Shows how much i know!

I dont think you can lower the ground farther with out it being water, but you just need to raise the whole ride then you can terraform under it without a problem.

I see, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Hey,
    I checked out the file, and like at the very bottom of the lift there are so manny flangs. I think its becuase you divied that section down there into so manny different parts. I dont know if im being to picky, but seeming as you guys are like beyond pros, i dont know why we cant be really nit picky and throw a challange your way. Anyway have fun with the ride, and remember. If you cant a custom station done ( non 3D, whitch i dought ) then hit me up. And ya if you post the file after the ground leveling ect has been done, then i will have a play around and see if i can come up with a quick station. I dough it tho. Becuase of my limited time it would usually take around two weeks. But have fun with this project everyone and good luck.

I wouldn't make this a record breaker... because we were planning to make it realistic.

On the track so far, I see a few things that I don't like. (not to be hard or anything)
    - That little curve out of the station
    - As far as I know, most B&Ms have non-straight first drops.
    - The top of the lift hill is, I think, a bit to narrow, but that can easily be changed.

If pipesdrums gives me his part, I'll see what I can do. The inversions are okay. The loop is mostly the first inversons, then a cobra roll or immelman or dive loop. I would do a zero g roll now I think. Then the MCBR, then de inclined loop and two corkscrews.
    I'm not active on this forum anymore.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Walibi World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Robin Hood - Walibi World | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath - Walibi World

Banned
    I'm not as experienced as you Erik but it seems really quick to put a MCBR after just 2 inversions. If your talking about how the first 2 inversions are on B:TR then thats way too soon to have a MCBR. Now if you put some turns and good headchopper stuff between each element that would be a different story.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Leppen
    As far as I know, most B&Ms have non-straight first drops.
    Georgia Scorcher, Apollo's Chariot, Hydra, Raging Bull, Nitro, and Silverstar all have straight drops, Hydra's drop ends up in a turn at the bottom, but it does drop straight.

You could consider the ever-so-close-to-straight-drops around like Katun's drop (just a little curve at the top), Oblivion, G5, Sheikra, and the Chang/Mantis duo. The drop is straight on those two standups, it has this dippy 180 turn before the drop. On the dive machines they all have a 180 degree curve at the top of lift.

And there is also a floorless with a straight drop: Superman in Spain.

I have a question: Who is doing terrain as of now, and when does terrain work begin?

[edit] I would do terrain before supports [/edit]

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Leppen
    The loop is mostly the first inversons, then a cobra roll or immelman or dive loop. I would do a zero g roll now I think. Then the MCBR, then de inclined loop and two corkscrews.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimths08
    I'm not as experienced as you Erik but it seems really quick to put a MCBR after just 2 inversions.
    Let's do it this way? After rereading my post I see that it is unclear.
    (1) Loop
    (2 & 3) Cobra Roll
    (4) Zero G Roll
    MCBR
    (5) Inclined Loop
    (6&7) Interlocking Corkscrews
    Final Brake

Does pipesdrums agree? He does the first part of the track, so he'll do (1) to (4) . Then I'll do (5) to (7).
    Last edited by Erik Leppen; 05-16-2005 at 12:31 PM.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Walibi World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Robin Hood - Walibi World | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath - Walibi World

rawr!
    Well, I am building this with elementry, so it will be really hard to seemlessly add onto your track if you handbuild it. Thats why I think its best that one of us does the entire section before the MCBR and one person does the entire section after the MCBR.

Right now I was planning on building the layout before the MCBR as follows;

1. 75 degree first drop (changed from 70)
    2. Loop
    3. Cobra roll
    4. A really fast, low zero-g roll
    5. A helix thingy ending with a barrel roll (same thing as Hydra's JoJo roll) into the MCBR

And then you would take over the track construction. Hopefully the MCBR can be pretty high so that there is enough speed left over for 3 inversions in the second half of the ride. If we were to build it that way it would break the inversion record for the floorless design with 8 inversions.
    Last edited by pipesdrums; 05-16-2005 at 03:15 PM.

Q

Banned
    That all sounds nice to me but I do want some transision elements. A turn from inversion to inversion, or something of that nature, otherwise it just turns out prefab elements and its hard to get those to have a good coaster. Look at B:TR of example, lots of inversions but also lots of transision elements. Just my opinoin though.

rawr!
    true. Hmm, maybe make some highspeed turns going to the cobra roll. I'll play around with it today.

Q

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by meowcoaster1
    And there is also a floorless with a straight drop: Superman in Spain.

I have a question: Who is doing terrain as of now, and when does terrain work begin?
    Track-pipesdrums, Erik Leppen

Terraforming-meowcoaster1

Supports-Loki, bigboy_1234567

3ds-jimths08(possibly Tyrant from CS. for those of you who don't know him, he's an amazing 3ds dude who helped with pyter's thunderhead, and is doing Real's supports and themeing for Hydra. He sounded interested but wants to see more of the trackwork.)

Terrain work will not begin until trackwork is completely done and that relies on the tediousness and care of the trackers. I would guess at least a couple more weeks, more like a month or so.
    Last edited by jimths08; 05-16-2005 at 06:20 PM.

^Enough time to finish my other 2 coasters I'm working on (May Contest now, Panthera onca was on hold since February (really lazy, but I'll finish).

Anyway, I'll keep up with this, but if I ever don't respond to something you all want me to do (cartexture, terrain), please PM me.

I know im not part of this coaster project right now. ( i was in it do to spourts, but there where no spaces avable ) Anyway meowcoaster, you offered to do cartexture's. Do you mean only for this project, or do you think you could do a cartexture for my woodie?
    Thanks

- Max

Just make something and send it to me when you're ready. Or just post it here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxamillious
    I know im not part of this coaster project right now. ( i was in it do to spourts, but there where no spaces avable ) Anyway meowcoaster, you offered to do cartexture's. Do you mean only for this project, or do you think you could do a cartexture for my woodie?
    Thanks

- Max
    I think he was talking about this one but I'm not sure.

I make cartextures for anyone, just IM or PM me andI'll make one for you. I will make one for this project too.

Hey thats man thats really cool.
    I saw the one you did for another person. I forgot the name of the rollercoaster, but it was a launch ( black and white track ) and the cartexture was like a sports car with flames on the front. It was bad lol. Anyway i will PM you very soon. Thanks.

- Max

I also make car textures. Mine are really better than Meow. His are what I call "crap" lol. I am just joking. I think Meow made a car texture for my ride "Live Wire" It turned out great. He is one of the best, or maybe even the best.

rawr!
    lol..I don't mean any offense by this, but cartextures arn't really that hard to make if you have the proper tools...
    And I don't ussually toot my own horn, but I think my Fire Breather cartexture turned out pretty sweet; http://nldc.interfix.net/i1010

Anyways, just a little update on the track contruction, as Jim asked, I have made this thing a record breaker while keeping it realistic.
    This is now the steepest floorless coaster with a drop angle of approxiametly 75 degrees, a drop/height of 176 feet (topping out Superman Krypton Coaster's drop of 168 feet and hieght of 175 feet) and the fastest floorless coaster at 71mph, beating Superman Krypton Coaster's speed of 70mph.
    So, in the words of Six Flags, this eats all records! haha...

At the current moment I am working on an overbank turn after the loop which will lead into the cobra roll. After the cobra roll there will be a high speed flat turn into that fast zero g roll.

Q

rawr!
    Ok, another small update.
    I have pretty much completed the overbank. I am still tweaking the entrance and exit length and overall radius of the overbank and stuff to make sure the train doesn't rotate too fast going into it and all that mumbo jumbo...

I made two new screenshots showing the overbank;
    http://nldc.interfix.net/i3279
    http://nldc.interfix.net/i3280

And I have also uploaded the track file for anyone who wants to take a look at the current state of the track. The track after the first drop is heartlined, but the drop out of the station isn't, yet.
    Also, don't worry about the station being way up in the air, I just havn't lowered it yet.

And with that said, I must get to bed as I have to be at the gym in 5 hours, lol.

Cheers.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Q

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast