Thread: Sirius Satellite Radio

Suspended Poster

Sirius Satellite Radio

Does anyone here subscribe to Sirius? I'm thinking of signing up and buying hardware to have it in my car. Anyone have any recommendations on hardware? Thanks!

Intimidating Poster! Carowinds 73-03's Avatar
    I have it and it's awsome. The best place i can really tell you to buy everything is Best Buy (if you have one in your area) They have everything you can get for Sirius.

It's pretty easy to mount & install in you car as well so don't get tricked into paying for someone to do it. A kid could install it.

I have it and it's awesome! I got my receiver and car mounting kit for under $100 (after rebates) from Radio Shack.
    See the sights on my site, AmusementPics.com!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags over Georgia | Wooden Roller Coaster: Lightning Racer | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

I chose to go with XM for multiple reasons, but I figured I'd comment anyway. My receiver was only $50 which includes everything you need to play it in your car. At any rate, like Carowinds said, its REALLY easy to install it. You'll love satellite radio...its awesome!

Suspended Poster
    My biggest problem right now is that I'm in Canada....so technically I have to work around the system. A collegue of mine has a US residence and his Sirius is set up based on that address so I might add my system to his account. As for the hardware, I will either be getting it off Ebay or i'll buy it at a store when I'm down in the US next month.

Two more questions....do you need to sign up for an account on the spot or do do you just buy the hardware and do the account stuff later? Also, for the car mount units, since my car is a lease I don't want to do anything that I can't undo after...so how permanent are the car installs (i would be looking at one of the portable units that have a car kit and not a deck mounted unit)?

Thanks!

I'm thinking about getting it too. Does anyone know how much the monthly rates are for sirius and XM?
    warning seen on mattress: WARNING! do not attempt to swallow!

I just signed up for Dish Network and it will have Sirius radio as well.

I've listened on a friends player and I really like it. The chategories are cool. Like there is an all "hair band" channel with nothing but 80's and 90's hard rock.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Mem**r of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Strata Poster
    I have it on my Dish, and I like it. I would definitely consider purchasing it, as they play a lot of songs you don't get to hear normally.

Favorites: Amusement Park: EPCOT Center | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Top Thrill Dragster

Ain't followin' Whitey's rules Diesel's Avatar
    I bought my receiver in May, haven't signed up for it yet. There's really no reason to until January 9, 2006.

My receiver came from BJ's, after rebates it was about $45.

I think the monthly fee is somewhere around $10/monthly.
    "It's just gonna be goin' on...like Donkey Kong...144,000 strong."
    I still BRAKE for Kraken.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Magic Kingdom | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

I have XM which I won in a contest earlier this year and I love it. It was a Roady 2 with home and car kit. The antenna for the car is a magnetic mount for the roof. It comes with a mounting kit to mount it several ways in your car. You can set it to play through your FM radio in your car or you can use the cassette adapter if you have a cassette in your car. Both Sirius and XM are $12.95 a month with no sign-up fee if you sign up over the internet.
    Drink coffee. Do stupid things faster.

Quote Originally Posted by whipster56
    I have XM which I won in a contest earlier this year and I love it. It was a Roady 2 with home and car kit. The antenna for the car is a magnetic mount for the roof. It comes with a mounting kit to mount it several ways in your car. You can set it to play through your FM radio in your car or you can use the cassette adapter if you have a cassette in your car. Both Sirius and XM are $12.95 a month with no sign-up fee if you sign up over the internet.
    I believe xm is almost 18 a month.

I'm paying $12.95 a month for XM.

http://www.xmradio.com/get_xm/
    Drink coffee. Do stupid things faster.

My next door neighbor has Sirius and it's pretty cool, but I'll stick to FM since I'm happy with the stations here in Charlotte. If I did get XM radio then I wouldn't hardly use any of the many stations.
    I just really hope that you think of me, because I'm tryna be unforgettable...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point -- Islands Of Adventure -- Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200 & Phantom's Revenge

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel
    I bought my receiver in May, haven't signed up for it yet. There's really no reason to until January 9, 2006.
    I might be totally off base, but is that when Howard Stern comes over?

Anyway, I'd be interested in even getting it for my house. I almost never listen to the radio anymore. Too many commercials, too much talk on stations that are supposed to be music stations. You don't don't hear talk radio playing music, so why do music stations feel the need to talk???

I also like that the artists and song titles are displayed so you know what it is. I always hated when you hear a good song but don't know the name of it. They play five or six songs and then name them in some random order at end. I don't know which song was which, nor did I feel like listening through it all just to find out.

Last, I live in a big city and yet there are only a few stations I'd even bother to listen to anyway. I just haven't done it yet, but sooner or later, I will get one of them. I think it's the way to go.
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME
    Favorites: Amusement Park: 1. Cedar Point 2. SFGAm 3. Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1. The Voyage 2. Viper 3. The Boss 4. Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: 1. Millennium Force 2. Top Thrill Dragster 3. Maverick 4. Raging Bull 5. Raptor

Suspended Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by coasterlove
    I might be totally off base, but is that when Howard Stern comes over?
    I think you are correct!

Ain't followin' Whitey's rules Diesel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bgwfreak
    I've listened on a friends player and I really like it. The chategories are cool. Like there is an all "hair band" channel with nothing but 80's and 90's hard rock.
    SIRIUS 23 - HAIR NATION!!

I'm digging it as I type this.

As an update to my prior post, I activated it once Howard 100 went live with "24 hours with Wendy the Retard".

I recommend it. One years service + activation was $152.45 for me.
    "It's just gonna be goin' on...like Donkey Kong...144,000 strong."
    I still BRAKE for Kraken.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Magic Kingdom | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

2 Fridays left on terrestial radio for Howard Stern. I will definitely listen on Friday 12/16, his last day.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Just got Sirius activated last week. 23-Hair Nation and 104-Raw Dog Comedy are my two favorites. The comedy is friggin hilarious and uncensored of course.

Suspended Poster
    104 Raw Dog is definitely one of my favorites. Sometimes I also get into 108 Maxim radio.