Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A funny thing happened on my way to Swillnetwork

A funny thing happened on my way to Swillnetwork

So once upon a time there was a site named Swillnetwork and it was good. It was created as an insult to those that opposed the great and mighty Thrillnetwork and it was good. Many came to Swillnetwork to post nudie pics of hot women and insult each other in crude terms that would certainly earn a banning on Thrillnetwork and it was good.

Then, the attacks hit. Swillnetwork was besieged by the spammers and the hackers. Worms infested the servers while tubgirl and Goatse waged war on the posters eyes. The valient webmaster and those in league with him fought back and peace was restored once again, but it was short lived.

Soon a rift grew between the mighty Thrillnetwork and it's bastard son Swillnetwork. Those at one were shunned by the other. Alligences were pledged and lines drawn in the sand. Alas, this too, did pass. The younger and weaker Swillnetwork was again beseiged by the worms and this time the server faltered and fell. The upstart Swillnetwork was no more. Though others tried to revive it, the beast was slain.

Flash forward nearly a year. The owner of Swillnetwork had let the his pet expire, to float to the bottom of the web abyss, when suddenly, a longing came to him. He looked at all that had gone wrong through the first coming of the Swill, and felt it could go better if given a chance. Thusly, he sought out the good folks of godaddy.com and planned to dredge the bottomless abyss in hopes of coming up with the remnants of his beloved Swill. Alas, it was not to be. A mere few days prior Swillnetwork had been locked up by a large website monster, bent on selling the prisoner it owned back to people at a rediculous price. Saddened, the owner walked past his former pet's cage, disgusted by the pop-ups and ads covering it's once proud face.

"Someday I will set you free again, my little friend. Someday."

(to those of you that don't understand humor or a good story, the long and short of it is that I thinking of resurecting Swillnetwork, but the domain name was bought up by a holding company that was going to sell it back at a price more than double what I was willing to pay. This saddened me. I made this thread as a bit of a tribute and shout out to the former members of SN who were and are great people that I miss dearly.)
    Pleasantly missing since 2006
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Valleyfair | Steel Roller Coaster: Orient Express

mysql_fetch_array($title) ; coasterz44's Avatar
    Thats too bad Drew... gotta hate those damn domain grabbing monsters.

Maybe swillnetwork2? Hmmm...

Oh well, it was good fun while it lasted.

Yeah, shes awesome...JUST DEAL slipknot8527's Avatar
    Swillnetwork: The Return.....
    HANNAH MONTANA!!!!!!!!!
    TAKING THE WORLD BY STORM!!!!!
    "I'm living proof....THAT GIRLS CAN ROCK!!!!!!"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Great American Scream Machine | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

Wow... beautiful man...

swillnetwork2 would work.
    ~ RAPTOR
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast, Mean Streak, Viper, Thunderbolt | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200, Millennium Force, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), Montu, Expedition Everest, Raptor

I'm the good looking one Steven's Avatar
    I would go to www.icann.org and find out how to get it back... since you were the previous owner you might be entitled to get it back from them because they are technically squatting on the domain.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

Why don't you make one on ThrillNetwork.net for now, and when it grows up to be it's former self, you can put it on it's own domain again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry S
    Why don't you make one on ThrillNetwork.net for now, and when it grows up to be it's former self, you can put it on it's own domain again.
    The content isn't really apropriate to be associated to Thrillnetwork in no way at all.

(Its not a diss to Swill Drew...but things got kinda insane)
    Thornton to Heatley all day, every day.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Mean Streak | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

As much as I love the guys, I would say the main reason things got "insane" were the racist remarks from GP and Kraken....

but do we expect anything less from them?
    HANNAH MONTANA!!!!!!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Great American Scream Machine | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

We're not taking new sites on thrillnetwork.net. It's going to see a security-related revamp soon.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

Not an issue Steve. I'd put it back on my local server if I were ever to even think about it.

That www.icann.org site is a damned maze to navigate. I don't that this is enough of an issue to seek legal action on it. Eh, maybe I'll get bored this afternoon and go after them. We'll see.

http://www.icann.org/udrp/udrp.htm

Try that. This is what I tell customers at work when they get their domain squatted on after they let it lapse.

Also, Bill Cosby just won a case based on his Fat Albert name.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/interne....ap/index.html

Wow, Swillnetwork? That must have happened in my interim away from this site. Forum wars are fun too.
    Put your hands up!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Magic Mountain | Wooden Roller Coaster: Cyclone | Steel Roller Coaster: The Riddler's Revenge

I am your substitute god willski2002's Avatar
    Awww............Swill was glorious.

I need my daily dose of Kraken and GP, which I haven't gotten since February.
    Quote Originally Posted by PCW Maniac
    What I'm posting is saying how brave I am and that I don't care about rules! If I lose my camera while making a POV, at least I'll lose it for something.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Raven/Legend | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

So as an update, oddly enough about a year to the day later, I decided to try to grab up swillnetwork again. Turns out that now Careerbuilder.com is squatting on it or someone is just hosting their ads on it. The price has now shot up from the $100 or so last year to $388 now.

God I hate people.

Quote Originally Posted by willski2002
    Awww............Swill was glorious.

I need my daily dose of Kraken and GP, which I haven't gotten since February.
    Last time he posted was february?

I haven't seen him post for about 2 years.

^Notice the date of Willski's post? 9-27-2005?

I wouldn't mind seeing a different version of Swill come back.
    Ask me why I say Banshee is NOT the new Kings Island coaster.
    Be sure to check out Speedzone as I have made 11 additions.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, circa 1989 | Wooden Roller Coaster: Blue Streak (CP) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (CP), never been on Drachen Fire

I could post a link to donating to my paypal account to get that running again.

Just start with a new domain. Seriously, what did happen to Kraken?

Ain't followin' Whitey's rules Diesel's Avatar
    Do you mean what happened in real life to him or on TN?

Are you on an insanely slow internet connection where it takes news that long to reach across the Atlantic?
    "It's just gonna be goin' on...like Donkey Kong...144,000 strong."
    I still BRAKE for Kraken.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Magic Kingdom | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

Real life.

No doubt the news reached me but I missed it somehow.

clearly he was banned but I know people talked to him on IM....I would have thought he'd try to get unbanned at some point. What did he do to get banned anyway? I posted in most of his threads.....clearly I wasn't banned. I don't remember.

After he was banned, he just stopped caring about the site and moved on.
    ~ RAPTOR
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast, Mean Streak, Viper, Thunderbolt | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200, Millennium Force, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), Montu, Expedition Everest, Raptor

Ain't followin' Whitey's rules Diesel's Avatar
    So Drew, where do we make those donations?

I'm continuing typing because I have to wait 28 seconds to post this message. If anyone thinks that seventy five seconds is a cure to spam, just keep reading this message.

CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!! 8 seconds to go. That sentence reminds me of that Mötley Crüe tune from "Shout at the Devil" called "Ten Seconds to love". It has some cool lyrics like "Lock the door, shine my pistol some more. Here I come (censored spelling), just ten seconds more. Ten seconds to love. Just wait honey, 'till I tell the boys about you."

[screamz]Do you have ten seconds to love TONIGHT TUCSON !?!?!?!?!?!?!?????!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?![/screamz]
    "It's just gonna be goin' on...like Donkey Kong...144,000 strong."
    I still BRAKE for Kraken.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Magic Kingdom | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

Let me dig up how much it would cost to put something together and see if it's feasible.

"OH MY GOD THEY KILLED SWILL"

"THOSE B@ST@RDS"

I have to say that 388 bucks for it is just squating on it waiting for the original owner to pay up and they should be shot.
    DOLLYWOOD ROCKS!!!!!
    SHEIKRA ROCKS:FIRST TIME 01/25/06
    Favorites: Amusement Park: to many to count | Wooden Roller Coaster: thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: sheikra

^ um, who are you? and how do you know of swill?
    HANNAH MONTANA!!!!!!!!!

I am your substitute god willski2002's Avatar
    www.networkofswill.com maybe?

If someone's squatting on it for that much, that's insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by PCW Maniac
    What I'm posting is saying how brave I am and that I don't care about rules! If I lose my camera while making a POV, at least I'll lose it for something.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Raven/Legend | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

NATURE'S MOST POWERFUL STORM! Jimmy B's Avatar
    Drew, haven't you talked to General Public yet? He's been interested in continuing SwillNetwork since you took it down last year.

And Skye, I thought you knew about what happened to Kraken; he was banned right before you left. I thought that was the reason why you haven't posted much since then....because it seemed like you and him have been on a collision course....ever since he was gone, you didn't seem to be as interested in posting here.
    (Originally known as Hurricane) -- and the newest iCarly fan.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six-Flags over Texas | Wooden Roller Coaster: Texas Giant | Steel Roller Coaster: Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy B
    Drew, haven't you talked to General Public yet? He's been interested in continuing SwillNetwork since you took it down last year.

And Skye, I thought you knew about what happened to Kraken; he was banned right before you left. I thought that was the reason why you haven't posted much since then....because it seemed like you and him have been on a collision course....ever since he was gone, you didn't seem to be as interested in posting here.
    He's on my AIM Buddy List and IMed me the other day with someting in regards to Warm Apple Pie. So, if we get Swill up he would proabobly be motivated to come back (Or I'll cram the URL down his throat).

Dude don't pay that much...we just need to think of something creative I suppose.
    Thornton to Heatley all day, every day.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Mean Streak | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

we just need to think of something creative I suppose.
    Beg for the domain?

Just buy swillnetwork2.com it's kinda apropriate anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknot8527
    ^ um, who are you? and how do you know of swill?
    Who am I? I'm the all seeing eye?

Nah I visited swill a few times when it was up, but it was along time ago, in a galaxy far far away, In a land that time had forgotten.
    DOLLYWOOD ROCKS!!!!!
    SHEIKRA ROCKS:FIRST TIME 01/25/06
    Favorites: Amusement Park: to many to count | Wooden Roller Coaster: thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: sheikra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast