Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: six flags astroworld rides & coasters?

six flags astroworld rides & coasters?

Now that six flags astroworld is going to be closed at the end of the summer. who will get its rides & coasters will they be distributed between other six flags parks or just torn down.

Let gravity do the work.
    Nobody knows which rides will be saved and relocated to other Six Flags parks. Nobody knows which ones will be scrapped. We'll just have to wait and see, and just speculate like hell for now ;)

[url]http://www.rcdb.com/pd9.htm[/url]

That's a list of their current coasters.

Except for a few, most are standard coasters that are at most Six flags parks. I can't imagine them saving all of them.

They will probably just sit in SFA's field and rot forever.

Id' love to have Greezed Lightnin' at PC. I miss our old shuttle loop White Lightnin'.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

[QUOTE=bgwfreak]Except for a few, most are standard coasters that are at most Six flags parks. I can't imagine them saving all of them.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's my fanboyism, but I only see 2 coasters on that list that could be considered standard SF coasters in my mind: Serial Thriller and Texas Cyclone. The others, while they may be clones, aren't very easy to find clones (Ultra Twister, Greezed Lightnin, Viper, BTE). XLR-8, Serpent, and Mayan Mindbender aren't clones, AFAIK. That's not to say these rides are good, but they are far from standard.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator
    Houston Thrills Central | Freude Am Leben
    Marvel McFey is dead.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Undecided | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Superman: Ride of Steel (SFNE)

Let gravity do the work.
    /\ What's funny is that the "standard" SF coasters in your mind at that park (Serial Thriller and Texas Cyclone) are first-hand rides installed at AstroWorld. Almost all the other more unique coasters there were previously used by other Six Flags parks and then relocated to their final home that is AstroWorld. This includes Viper, Ultra Twister, Batman The Escape, and Mayan Mindbender.

I think if it is cheaper to dismantle and move to another park than it is to build a coaster then SF should do this with all the coasters and split them up to parks that could use them. SFstlouis could use 1 or 2 coasters XLR8 and Greezed lightning ( I like schwarzkopf rides)
    Intimidator 305 the tallest, most hated coaster nobody has ridden...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

XLR8 is arrow...

I 2nd the call for greezed lightnin' to be relocated to carowinds!
    Asia: four little letters, four billion little people.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider | Steel Roller Coaster: Xcelerator

[i]Six Flags New England could use a new big coaster. Even though we just got Mr.Six it's not all that great of a ride. a new ride like Viper,Greezed lightning, Batman The Escape, Ultra Twister,Serpent,or the Mayan Mindbender would make Six Flags New England even better. But out of any of those rides that i could see at Six Flags New England it would be Ultra Twister because it is small and compact and does not take up alot of space. and that is something Six Flags New England needs.[/i]

Looping Poster
    It would be so much beter for SF to just sent them to other SF parks and give them new paint jobs and the GP will think there getting a fresh new coaster. And they wont have the pay the big bucks for a new coaster.

Our buddies @ SFSTL(SFOMA) I think could use a hookup. They could use the Schwarzkopf VIPER to accompany Ninja in addition to an entirely new steel coaster.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Viper also has a very small footprint and is quite compact. It's usually most riders' 'first' ride ever, making it a popular ride. It's small and has one loop, so that usually encourages the GP to ride it if they're afraid...
    ThrillNetwork Editor (past tense: lectricShark)
    Never forget justice is what love looks like in public. -- OXFAM

And in the end we lie awake and we dream of making our escape.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags AstroWorld or Six Flags Over Texas. | Wooden Roller Coaster: Texas Cyclone (RIP). | Steel Roller Coaster: Titan.

Didn't Mayan Mindbender come from Boblo Island? If so...that was an independant park, not a Six Flags park.
    cheers

-p

http://www.myspace.com/pschroeder
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

Let gravity do the work.
    [QUOTE=CHILLERLC1]Our buddies @ SFSTL(SFOMA) I think could use a hookup. They could use the Schwarzkopf VIPER to accompany Ninja in addition to an entirely new steel coaster.[/QUOTE]

Is it just me or was SFSTL the original home of what is now known as "Viper" at Six Flags AstroWorld? It would be funny to see SFSTL get its Jet Stream back ;)

Yes, it would be great to see other possible returns. :)
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Life is a Journey....

And sometimes parks wind up having huge open sections when a ride is removed for whatever reason, and something smaller is put in it's place if anything gets put there. I know that there are some places at every park that I visit at least once every so often where it just looks out of place. Think for example Busch Gardens has that large spot where Drachen Fire was (I don't buy that DarKastle took up all that space), Carowinds seems to have open space out there near SkyFlier where there is nothing there. Neither of those have any connection with Six Flags...but it illustrates my point that there is space where things have come and gone...

And with that in mind, I definitely think most, if not all of the major rides from Astroworld should be relocated to other parks - whether Six Flags parks or other buyers. As stated above by Coasterking, this could definitely be a boon to the receiving parks, and financially, I would imagine it would be cheaper overall than building something new.

[QUOTE=Byron]Maybe it's my fanboyism, but I only see 2 coasters on that list that could be considered standard SF coasters in my mind: Serial Thriller and Texas Cyclone. The others, while they may be clones, aren't very easy to find clones (Ultra Twister, Greezed Lightnin, Viper, BTE). XLR-8, Serpent, and Mayan Mindbender aren't clones, AFAIK. That's not to say these rides are good, but they are far from standard.[/QUOTE]

I guess that's true, but I guess I was looking at the fact that none of the coasters are anything that exciting or new.

I can see most of them going in the scrap heap. Who would want to install an Arrow Supsended coaster these days, etc.

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

^^ I would bet many smaller family owned parks would love to add a family suspended coaster as it caters to their demographics....
    Intimidator 305 the tallest, most hated coaster nobody has ridden...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

Corkscrew Poster coasterfreak14's Avatar
    I think that their coasters could be used in many of the under developed parks that Six Flags owns. Those rides are in no way bad rides and need to be used. If they aren't at all used then Six Flags is just stupid. The GP wouldn't notice that they were from other parks. I think it would help to make the Six Flags Corperation better.
    "If you focus on your giants, you stumble. If you focus on God, your giants tumble."
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City | Wooden Roller Coaster: Texas Giant | Steel Roller Coaster: PowderKeg

Send them to the parks that have not gotten coasters since 99 OR 01...those would be SFSTL,SFDL,SFA, SFOT & SFFT.

Nearly every other "flagged" park has gotten at least one coaster since the big coaster boom SF had in 01 so it's only fair & a good business strategy to send these ride where they're most needed,Don't forget the flats too.

Personally I'll take both Viper(SFA is in need of a good sit down looper cuz JJ sucks) & or B:TE because it's small & they were planning to add a standup before Batwing replaced it on the list of rides to be built.

Yeah send the inline coaster or whatever it's called to SFA. I've not ridden one of those yet.

Been Here Since the Begining Sir Willow's Avatar
    My guess: SWAT will likely be moved to another park. And there might be a couple of others moved and/or sold.

But I've a bad feeling that the vast majority of the rides are going to be scrapped, particularly the coasters. The flats are going to be much easier to sell and relocate than the coasters are. Hey, maybe SFMM will actually get a couple of new ones from this? ;)
    Have you read my number 1 best seller? There will be a test! ~God
    Life with God is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
    My park & coaster photos: Sir Willow's Smugmug pictures
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, Bonfante Gardens, Holiday World, SFGrAm, Legoland and Disneyland | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix,Thunderhead- Dollywood, NM Rattler, Raven & Legend- HW, Viper- SFGrAm, Giant Dipper-SCBB | Steel Roller Coaster: X!!, Goliath, Talon, Millenium Force, Montu, Kumba, others

Let gravity do the work.
    [QUOTE=Sir Willow]The flats are going to be much easier to sell and relocate than the coasters are. Hey, maybe SFMM will actually get a couple of new ones from this? ;)[/QUOTE]

Stop making such delightful suggestions! It's getting me worked up ;) :D

Been Here Since the Begining Sir Willow's Avatar
    Interesting. From a news article that was emailed to me about the carousel, but also talks about the other rides:
    (full article at [url]http://www.eveningsun.com/Stories/0,1413,140~9954~3062267,00.html#[/url] )

But now, AstroWorld, owned by Oklahoma City-based Six Flags Inc.,
    will close after Halloween, leaving the future of the old carousel
    uncertain. "We're not prepared to discuss the relocation or use of
    the assets of the park at this time," said 6F spokeswoman Debbie
    Nauser. "The company is planning to move the majority of the rides to
    other parks in our system."
    Have you read my number 1 best seller? There will be a test! ~God
    Life with God is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
    My park & coaster photos: Sir Willow's Smugmug pictures
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, Bonfante Gardens, Holiday World, SFGrAm, Legoland and Disneyland | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix,Thunderhead- Dollywood, NM Rattler, Raven & Legend- HW, Viper- SFGrAm, Giant Dipper-SCBB | Steel Roller Coaster: X!!, Goliath, Talon, Millenium Force, Montu, Kumba, others

That carousel is an incredibly precious piece. It's an original Dentzel Carousel with several horses carved by Dentzel himself. We have an incredible Carousel Maintenance crew. We have one of the only four Hippocampuses! Our Hippocampus is even featured in the Smithsonian! I'd hate to see that thing fall to pieces to greedy collectors hands...

EDIT:: HAHAHA.. WOW.

I feel STUPID. I've been reading TOO much harry potter! :D
    Last edited by James R; 09-22-2005 at 01:08 AM.
    ThrillNetwork Editor (past tense: lectricShark)
    Never forget justice is what love looks like in public. -- OXFAM

And in the end we lie awake and we dream of making our escape.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags AstroWorld or Six Flags Over Texas. | Wooden Roller Coaster: Texas Cyclone (RIP). | Steel Roller Coaster: Titan.

True Nascarlvr987,let's hope we're not looking at another SFNO/katrina situation here.

So the SF spokesperson confirms that most of the assets(IE rides) will be relocated to other parks in the chain?.....chances are high that other parks aside from SFGRADV,SFMM & SFOG might be seeing new (to them) coasters for 06....please send B:TE to a certain SF park in MD.

As for ultratwister,that thing can go the way of SFGRAM's shockwave.....to the scrap yard.

Corkscrew Poster
    BatwingFan, SFA'd be better off without B:TE, believe me. There are about a doen other SFAW attractions that I'd rather see at SFA. For starters, the carousel, the one already at SFA is a joke and I'd LOVE to get a classic carousel instead of a modern try (and a bad one at that) of a classic ride. I'd also love to see the Sky Ride go to SFA. With SFA spralling out, we could use a good transport ride to get from one side of the park to the other, unless of course they plan on completly rerouting the train that currently runs through the park and open it to everyone and not just the people renting the Picnic Grove. I'd even take the Ozark Splash so we'd have a working log flume.

SFAW has a TON of flat rides that SFA doesn't have, but very few coasters that you'd actually be satisfied with if we got. XLR-8, Ultra Twister, and Batman:The Escape would all be fun, but would lose their flair quck. Honestly I'd rather XLR-8 or Ultra-Twister simply for their uniqueness. I'd even take Mayan Mindbender as long as they kept it indoor. That would give SFA both a dark ride AND a family coaster.
    If you can't stand the heights, get out of the line.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Paramount's Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Son of Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Teh Band
    [QUOTE=lectricShark]That carousel is an incredibly precious piece. It's an original Dentzel Carousel with several horses carved by Dentzel himself. We have an incredible Carousel Maintenance crew. We have one of the only four hippogriffs! Our hippogriff is even featured in the Smithsonian! I'd hate to see that thing fall to pieces to greedy collectors hands...[/QUOTE]

If you are going to try to convince us that the Carousel is great, can you at least get the name of the rare carousel feature right?

i dont really care what they do with there coasters. but they need to send a couple flat rides to SFMM.

I'm sure some poor park like SFDL will trade all of it's flats for SFMM's flyer(why give them yet another coaster?) but it isn't gonna happen.

I couldn't agree more about the carousel & skyride Andrew,SFA's pathetic excuse for a carousel has been there since the wild world days(I've ridden better fairground carousels) & these days it isn't even open anymore.A skyride would do wonders for the park from a guest transport stand point & then they could remove or reroute that stupid railroad & open it to all guests.

Still a coaster from SFAW wouldn't be bad,out of all the coasters they have B:TE,Viper & like you said mayan mindbender seem to be the best of the lot,so if SFA gets an SFAW coaster I'd take one,or all three of those over the rest...just MHO.

Teh Band
    Why would a park trade a good (but overlooked) collection of flats for one coaster? That's just plain dumb... or is that just the coaster enthusiast in you saying that?

I would give it 9-1 odds that Batman isn't going anywhere. It was a maintenece mess in Great Adventure and Magic Mountain and unless the AW maintenence crew goes with it.. it won't be around anymore.
    Last edited by Joseph; 09-22-2005 at 11:46 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast