Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: six flags astroworld rides & coasters?

Possible fates for the Rides

Howzabout we try to figure out where each ride is going, one by one? We can use this form, and then make any tweaks & commentary at the end of our posts.

Dungeon Drop:SFStL, other park w/o drop ride
    Serial Thriller:SFFT, WW&EV, open market, sold back to Vekoma?
    Mayan Mindbender:whichever park wants/needs enclosed coaster, open market, scrapheap.
    fmr. Bamboo Chute: Open market?, scrapheap
    Thunder River: ride is scrapped, rafts and parts (lift mechanism, etc.) go to parks that already have Intamin 12 Rapids
    Serpent:scrapped, SFOT or La Ronde for parts, open market?
    AstroWay: scrapped (parts salvaged?)
    Runaway Rickshaws: Whoever needs a scrambler (SFMM, SFGADV.,etc.)
    VIPER: Open Market, park that needs sit-down looper, scrapped for parts (trains, lift chain, brakes, etc.)
    Tidal Wave: Open Market, Scrap heap.
    Diablo Falls: Scrapheap(w/ rafts to SFA)?; lower park(SFDL, SFFT, The Great Escape)?; Open market?
    Warp 2000: Whoever wants a Troika; Open market
    SWAT: Whoever has/can make room for it (SFGAdv., SFMM, etc.)
    Gunslinger: Open Market, whoever wants western themed Yo-Yo, scrapped for parts.
    Wagon Wheel: Whoever needs a trabant (SFGAdv., SFMM, SFA?, SFOG, etc.)
    Greezed Lightnin': Smaller Park (SFDL, SFFT, etc.)?, Scrap heap w/ trains going elsewhere?
    Carousel: Whoever needs a decent carousel (SFA, etc.)
    Looney Tunes Town: Some (if not all) kiddie rides will become SFGADV.'s Looney Tunes Nat'l Park.
    Batman: The Escape: Who ever REEEEEEALLY wants a stand-up, but more likely scrapped w/ parts going to La Ronde.
    Ultra Twister: lower park(SFDL, SFNE, etc.)?; scrapheap
    Go Karts: Parts elsewhere
    Antique Taxis: Parts elsewhere, cars simply go elsewhere, open market?
    Looping Starship: Scrapped, salvaged for parts, whoever is desperate for flats (SFMM, SFA, etc.)
    SkyCoaster: Whoever doesn't have a skycoaster yet has room, scrapheap, salvage for parts?
    Texas Cyclone: I really hope that this goes on the former Joker's Revenge site @ SFFT, but she's probably getting razed once she's been stripped of what can be used elsewhere.

I would think that Six Flags would want to salvage some thematic elements as well.
    If I've missed any of the rides, please mention it, since I haven't visited the park (yet, I'm going this weekend). The above is pure conjecture, and I really hope that most of these rides find a new home somewhere else.
    If there ain't air, I ain't there.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebel's Wooden Roller Coaster: Hersheypark Wildcat; 1996-2001; 2003-present

Teh Band
    ^ You are assuming a lot. Half of the rides will probably be scrapped.

SFA has a carousel. I don't think Marine World does though, that would be the only shot, but I'd bet it would be sold privately or dismantled and the individual pieces auctioned off.

I know where one of their coasters is going and it might suprise many. However, I think we'll have to keep that one "on the low" for now ;)
    Last edited by Joseph; 10-12-2005 at 08:46 PM.

[QUOTE=BobFunland] I know where one of their coasters is going and it might suprise many. However, I think we'll have to keep that one "on the low" for now ;)[/QUOTE] Obviously you're new to ThrillNetwork, because those type of responses are never taken seriously. "I know where its going but I won't tell!" Ummm, yea.
    "She's waiting for a prince in shining armor, and I don't even know how to put armor on."
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Texas Cyclone | Steel Roller Coaster: Loch Ness Monster

I would like too see SWAT at SFMM. They really lack in flat rides.
    Longhorns! \ " /
    Im aka TatsuFlySpeedFear on TPR and America Coasters
    Q. How Fast is Fear?
    A. 62 MPH
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Magic Mountain | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghost Rider | Steel Roller Coaster: Deja Vu (SFMM)

Teh Band
    [quote]Obviously you're new to ThrillNetwork, because those type of responses are never taken seriously. "I know where its going but I won't tell!" Ummm, yea.[/quote]
    eh, that's ok I suppose. Also, I never said I wouldn't tell, just not now. I'll at least wait for them to finish the construction to tell ;)

Been Here Since the Begining Sir Willow's Avatar
    Well, if it's any help, and it won't be much, I had a nice conversation about the park with a PR rep the other day in getting ready for my visit this weekend. According to the PR rep, the majority of the rides are going to other parks- some in TX, some outside of TX. She said there isn't a formal "laundry list" of what is going where, at least not that she's seen, and that she thinks some of it is still being discussed.

In other words, there's a lot that still isn't known, not even by the people at the park that should know. :)
    Have you read my number 1 best seller? There will be a test! ~God
    Life with God is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
    My park & coaster photos: Sir Willow's Smugmug pictures
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, Bonfante Gardens, Holiday World, SFGrAm, Legoland and Disneyland | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix,Thunderhead- Dollywood, NM Rattler, Raven & Legend- HW, Viper- SFGrAm, Giant Dipper-SCBB | Steel Roller Coaster: X!!, Goliath, Talon, Millenium Force, Montu, Kumba, others

[QUOTE=dale15dog]I would like too see SWAT at SFMM. They really lack in flat rides.[/QUOTE]

Somehow, I really doubt that will happen. With the new ride(s?) SFMM is getting, (Tatsun, huge land clearing) I dont think they'll get Swat. But then again, I was wrong on my math test...
    ThrillNetwork Editor (past tense: lectricShark)
    Never forget justice is what love looks like in public. -- OXFAM

And in the end we lie awake and we dream of making our escape.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags AstroWorld or Six Flags Over Texas. | Wooden Roller Coaster: Texas Cyclone (RIP). | Steel Roller Coaster: Titan.

^ Yes, but did you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night? :P
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, Bonfante Gardens, Holiday World, SFGrAm, Legoland and Disneyland | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix,Thunderhead- Dollywood, NM Rattler, Raven & Legend- HW, Viper- SFGrAm, Giant Dipper-SCBB | Steel Roller Coaster: X!!, Goliath, Talon, Millenium Force, Montu, Kumba, others

SFFT needs alot of new rides. Batman would look nice in the jokers revenge queue.

--Diego

[QUOTE=Sir Willow]^ Yes, but did you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night? :P[/QUOTE]

Nope. Sorry, Westin. :P

Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags AstroWorld or Six Flags Over Texas. | Wooden Roller Coaster: Texas Cyclone (RIP). | Steel Roller Coaster: Titan.

Teh Band
    [quote=Sir Willow]In other words, there's a lot that still isn't known, not even by the people at the park that should know. :)[/quote]

Yea but this doesn't even have to do with a ride currently in the park :)

[quote=Chris L]Is it just me or was SFSTL the original home of what is now known as "Viper" at Six Flags AstroWorld? It would be funny to see SFSTL get its Jet Stream back ;)[/quote]

Yes, Viper was Jet Scream at SFSTL and was swaped out for Ninja. As a park goer with SFSTL as my home park, I would LOVE for it to come back. The Ninja was an unfair trade for the Jet Scream. The Ninja rarely has anyone in it's que, even on crowded days.

Upsidedown Rider Johnny Upsidedown's Avatar
    Thought I would add this in this tread. An article about a City Board member interested in saving some of the rides and making a park out in Galveston.
    All though the article states that it is an unlikely idea but you never know. Anyway thought some might enjoy the read.
    [url]http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=b79aa685c6f13e09[/url]
    J.
    Johnny Upsidedown's Roller Coaster Website
    www.Johnnyupsidedown.com
    Stop by and take a look at lots of coaster photos, construction and trip reports.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Tampa | Wooden Roller Coaster: Kentucky Rumbler | Steel Roller Coaster: MF, Montu

Something also to go along with some AstroWorld news: this past weekend, Greezed Lightning had it's one [b]millionth[/b] launch! They had a PR/Media event to go along with it. I thought that was rather neat.

Johnny, La Marque isn't necessarily within Galveston city limits, but it will benefit Galveston if there was a park in the proposed area. The brainstormer, mentioned considering Cedar Fair as a sponsor, but it's just an idea. "Given that history, Gage said, going full speed ahead with such “vision” projects was not on his high priority list."

Ah.

^ Yeah, we tried to get in on the event at Greezed Lightnin, but since we weren't invited it didn't work out. Though they did offer us free tickets to visit again in a couple of weeks. However, since that didn't include airfare, we declined.

I really doubt that they'll be able to get any rides from the park for Galveston. Honestly, I expect a large portion of the rides they don't scrap to head out East a bit to this little park that they have to rebuild a bit. :)

As for my previous post, I find it a relatively safe assumption that Corporate will salvage whatever parts they can from the rides, rather than throw the whole darn thing onto the scrap heap. Remember when they bought the former Tidal Wave from PGA? The trains ended up getting a new paint job, and sent over to SFOG's MindBender, while the track itself disappeared from our consciousness. I anticipate the same thing happening to most of the older rides at AstroWorld, since parts will start to go at a premium.
    If there ain't air, I ain't there.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebel's Wooden Roller Coaster: Hersheypark Wildcat; 1996-2001; 2003-present

Well, since the [b]final[/b] weekend the park will be open is upon us, the park has decidedly published new hours. The staff is expecting rediculous crowds.

10AM - 6PM on Saturday and Sunday.
    Park closed Friday.
    All Ticket Outlets at the park WILL BE CLOSED. (No tickets are being sold AT THE PARK. Pre-Purchased tickets only (SPs included.) Visit Kroger's for tickets (if they even have any...)

They are also considering closing the gates during opening hours if the crowds get too enormous.

I plan on visiting the park this weekend.

And I'm scared.

I probably will ride once or twice and take the majority of my time capturing and encasing my memories of the park through the lens of my camera onto photos.
    Last edited by James R; 10-23-2005 at 11:56 PM.

The park is expecting large crowds, yet it will only be open from 10am - 6pm? Seems like they would be milking that last weekend for all it's worth. (Well, I guess they are in a sense)

I'll feel sorry for people that will be turned away at the ticket booths.
    It's Homespun Fun!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead (Dollywood) | Steel Roller Coaster: Alpengeist, BGW

It's called crowd control. They're already running a bit short staffed due to people not finishing out their work shifts with the park. This allows them to have on as many people as they can get to work without having to split them into 2 shifts.

And it helps them be able to keep the crowds from getting to unruly at night in a packed park, which could possibly happen otherwise.

Another sad ending. Reminds me of the Florida park that ended its season duriung one of the hurricanes last year. Breathe it all in, take it all in whoever is going, take plenty of pictures. Hopefully the Astros win that weekend.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

the site says thank for 37 great years[URL="http://www.sixflags.com/astroworld.asp"]http://www.sixflags.com/astroworld.asp[/URL]
    its always sad to see a park close down.
    RIP ASTROWORLD.
    i pray swat goes to SFMM
    we need flats

Screamscape reported that Ultra Twister was supposedly going to SFA. SFA has to get something if not a few things out of SFAW. The've gone far too long without an addition, let alone a coaster addition. With PKD opening IJ next season they'll need something new to draw guests in. Hopefully along with Ultra Twister, the park will see another coaster and maybe a flat or two. That could really help out the Gotham City section. Theres still too much space between everything back there. Some flats and UT being put around Bat Wing could help.

One of the 610 Engines is going to Six Flags Over Georgia.
    (namely the Diesel Engine, Elizabeth) and has already started it's journey from Houston to Georgia, so if you live somewhere between the two, watch out for a train on a truck bed, and you'll know it's from AstroWorld!

A nearly confirmed (if not already) is that most likely, if what I have been told (very good source) is true, Diablo will go to SFNE. They are to receive a water ride from AW. And what water ride does AW have that NE does not?

Diablo Falls.

SWAT is also the 'teen ride' destined for NE.

It's like the two always have to go together.

Twins. Sisters. Brothers. Family.

Looping Poster
    I sure hope they decide to relocate almost every ride they can. Why scrap a ride and loose some money when you can boost attendence at another SF. Just imagine how happy GP will feel when they hear when there local SF is getting "A brand new state of the art Stand-up coaster" or what ever the park will get. With the beefed up dicription by SF no one will know its a jillion years old and has been to 50 parks since then.

Teh Band
    [quote=lectricShark]One of the 610 Engines is going to Six Flags Over Georgia. (namely the Diesel Engine, Elizabeth)[/quote] Interesting, yet somewhat depressing. I actually haven't heard ANYTHING about the locomotive, other than it being already on its way out. Doesn't suprise me if its true though, they have leeched every bit of dignity out of what was once a great railroad here at SFOG, so why not add another Diesel engine...? (sarcasm)

Oh well at least you didn't say the electric engine was headed our way.

[quote]SWAT is also the 'teen ride' destined for NE.[/quote] That's also interesting, I've heard something different.

James
    Well.. I have been reading A LOT of swat is going to SFNE. Not that I even want the ride as many reviews say the ride is lame... But SFNE is getting 2 rides from SFAW... One is DF.. and the other.. well.. What "teen" ride does SFAW that SFNE doesnt have? Hmmm...

In park (AW) sources confirim that SWAT and Diablo are destined for New England.

From hot weather to cold...

The Six Flags Astroworld page doesn't even have the park logo on it anymore. It has that mention of finishing 37 years and suggesting the other Texas parks. Astroworld still has its yellow dot on the Six Flags Flash map on the "Pick A Park" option.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Viper, the Schwarzkopf, is headed toward La Feria Chapultepec Magico, in Mexico.

That's good news! It's definitely a coaster worth saving.
    I'm turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so
    Favorites: Amusement Park: BGW Knoebels IB HW | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: S:ROS SFNE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast