122. You may not vote on this poll
  • El Toro

38 31.15%
  • Voyage

84 68.85%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle of 2006 Wood: Voyage vs. El Toro

Battle of 2006 Wood: Voyage vs. El Toro

Which do you think will be better based on company reputation and layout?
    '11 Area Supervisor, Merch & Games, Michigan's Adventure '10 Area Supervisor, Games, Michigan's Adventure
    '09 Area Supervisor, Merch, Michigan's Adventure '08 Area Supervisor, Merch, Six Flags Over Texas
    '07 Area Supervisor, Merch, Cedar Point '06 Ride Operator, Batman:TR, SFGAM
    '05 Front Desk, Disney's BoardWalk Inn & Villas, WDW '04 Sales Associate, Merchandise, CP
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebels | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

It seems like Voyage would.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Boss | Steel Roller Coaster: M. Force

Voyage. I am biased, I don't like Intamins.
    ~Website Admin and Staff Director~

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

Inverted Tophat Poster coasterdude28's Avatar
    I think El Tor will be awesome but right now I have to go with Voyage. Also why did you make two of the same threads?
    Batman and Robin: The Chiller
    1997 - 2007
    Favorites: Amusement Park: safadsg

I think the voyage because it has the terrain advantage.

tom destroyed blink poster dukeandPCfan's Avatar
    10.99 miles from Carowinds, 16.59 miles from the Panthers
    i don't know but the 24 secs of airtime, 8 underground moments, and the maintenance staff of Holiday World all seem to point to the Voyage winning this battle

I think El Toro will be awesome though, and am happy that my trip to SFGADV next year will include it!
    Stanley Cup. CHAMPS.. CAROLINA HURRICANES
    ========================================
    Montreal, New Jersey, Buffalo, and Edmonton went home EMPTY HANDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorites: Amusement Park: Either Knott's or Paramount Carowinds | Wooden Roller Coaster: Hurler | Steel Roller Coaster: Top Gun: The Jet Coaster

I think Voyage looks better, It looks cool because it goes underground a ton!
    Go Vikings!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Legend | Steel Roller Coaster: 1)Kingda Ka 2)Nitro 3)Steel Venom

Voyage all the way! El Toro will be a monster of modern technology, but it does not have the woods to run through, the length, the terrain, or the tunnels that Voyage will totally take advantage of. This is one of the most anticipated rides for me in years, and I can't wait till it opens and I can see the videos and read the reviews (since I won't get to be there).
    I like the Zingo a lot.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Magic Mountain | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum (with no trims), and Phantom's Revenge

Corkscrew Poster coasterfreak14's Avatar
    Definitely the Voyage. Partially because Gravity Group already has a huge reputation with what they built previously before Gravity Group existed (CCI, etc.) and even now with Hades. They have the reputation with Raven, Ledgend, Boulder Dash, Megafobia, Texas Giant, and even more. Intamin, not so much. El Toro really looks like they took Colossos and mixed it up a little and added a bit. Not really original. Plus it's not a record breaker. So I'm Voyage all the way.
    "If you focus on your giants, you stumble. If you focus on God, your giants tumble."
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City | Wooden Roller Coaster: Texas Giant | Steel Roller Coaster: PowderKeg

Voyage isn't a record breaker. El Toro is. I think it's taller that Voyage if I'm remembering correctly, but it's definately shorter.

I think Voyage will be better, though not by as much as you'd think. El Toro's airtime will be absolutely amazing, probably even moreso than Voyage.

Intamin has a much larger reputation from what they've previously built than GG does. Since their new wooden plug and play coasters give a similar experience to their mega coasters, one could argue that the reputation for Intamin's woodies was built through their megas, which are consistently ranked among the best roller coasters in the world, over anything CCI or Dinn.

Voyage looks awesome, but I really don't see it being better than SROS SFNE, so if El Toro was built more up to it's potential, then I think it would almost definately be better than Voyage. As it is, El Toro looks great, but not quite as good as it could be, therefore I think Voyage will be better.
    Check out my NL recreation, Superman SFNE! http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/...ad.php?t=33703
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Villain | Steel Roller Coaster: Superman: Ride of Steel at SFNE

That's a really tough one. I'd have to go with Voyage for its airtime and because Hades rocked like no other. El Toro is sure to be awesome, though.

Both are quite exciting and will probably be the best of the coasters opening in 2006. I'm more excited for Voyage, though, due to its insane length and amounts of tunnels.

^^^The Voyage is too a record breaker. Did you not read the press release? It's going to have more than 20 seconds of airtime! That is the most airtime of any coaster ever! And if i'm not mistaken, i'm pretty sure it's going to have the most tunnels of at least wooden coasters, if not all. El Toro is not a record breaker. It's going to go 70 mph. Last I checked, Son of Beast goes 78, and that's a lot faster than 70. The height isn't a record either. So you need to check your "facts" and stop saying what's a record breaker and what's not. By the way, since when has Intamin had a higher reputation than GG? Intamin doesn't really know what a wooden roller coaster is. Theirs are all very smooth, so what's the difference between their wooden and steel (besides the fact that they're made out of different materials)? It's pretty obvious that Voyage is going to be a much better coaster than El Toro.
    Last edited by coasterfreak14; 10-17-2005 at 09:42 PM.
    "If you focus on your giants, you stumble. If you focus on God, your giants tumble."
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City | Wooden Roller Coaster: Texas Giant | Steel Roller Coaster: PowderKeg

I like Voyage because of it's use of the terrain, longer layout, load of airtime, tunnels, and 90 degree banked turns. El Toro looks pretty sweet though...

Quote Originally Posted by coasterfreak14
    El Toro is not a record breaker.
    It doesn't have a height or speed record, but it does have the steepest drop on a wooden coaster.

Voyage all the way for the length tunnels and awesome g's!

It doesn't have a height or speed record, but it does have the steepest drop on a wooden coaster.
    Big whoop. On what, one hill?
    Last edited by coasterfreak14; 10-18-2005 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coasterfreak14
    It's going to have more than 20 seconds of airtime! That is the most airtime of any coaster ever!
    Actually it will have the most airtime for any Wooden coaster. So you're the one that needs to check your "facts." And 8 MPH really isn't much of a speed differance when your looking at speeds over 65 MPH.

But onto the topic. I think that Voyage will be better. The overall use of the terrain and how it will wind through the trees just makes it seem a lot better. I'd rather have that "In the middle of nowhere" feeling then the "In the middle of an amusement park" one. El Toro still looks awesome though

I'm going to go with El Toro, and here's why:

Voyage looks boring, plain and simple. A lot of very gentle, but fastly paced, right turns with a ton of small little hills to steal the airtime record. But, the airtime will be all floater, not ejector. It also looks like it will last a bit too long.

Toro on the other hand is guarenteed to be an action packed 1min and 42 second adventure. Best drop on any wooden coaster, amazing ejector airtime, nice layout, nice setting, awesome trains, and great twister finale mixed with airtime.

Voyage just isn't packed with action like Toro is, and nothing stands out on it like on Toro.
    Top 5 coasters: El Toro, S:ROS at SFNE, The Voyage, Millennium Force, Cornball Express
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Boulderdash | Steel Roller Coaster: Superman: Ride of Steel

This post is directed at Coasterfreak14, who isn't making much sense right now...

Ok. I was mistaken. I said I wasn't sure about the height. My bad about the airtime record...I didn't feel like checking.

However, you're wrong too. Voyage does not have the most airtime of any coaster. Apollo's Chariot had more airtime (28 seconds or so) and that was made back in 1999. Steel Dragon 2000 also probably has more airtime.

Check your attitude playa. Especially when your facts are wrong. One of my statements was incorrect, however I didn't phrase it in an antagonizing way.

Intamin's reputation is my opinion. You don't like it, deal with it, because I really don't care. Not even a little bit. I explained why I said Intamin had a better reputation, and since you really can't say anything to dispute what I said about them being similar to Intamin megas (consistently ranked the best in the world) then keep your comments to yourself unless they're relevant to my comment, or you're starting a new argument, which is also fine.

If you're going to tell someone (who knows more than you) to check their facts, then you need to be really sure that yours are straight. The coaster with the most airtime is debatable, since both companies may have used a different measurement system, but the drop steepness is not. You're wrong about that.
    Last edited by dcs221; 10-17-2005 at 10:02 PM.
    Check out my NL recreation, Superman SFNE! http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/...ad.php?t=33703
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Villain | Steel Roller Coaster: Superman: Ride of Steel at SFNE

Will he use it for good or.... Ta2KX's Avatar
    Larry Bill would eat you if he saw this topic. I'm going to bank on Voyage being better than El Toro. It's like sending a division I-AA football team westward to play a I-A squad; it's a game but the winner is ahead by a wide margin when time ticks out. Now that being said, I'd like to see THESE TWO MATCH UPS.

Stats are based on results of the 2004 Internet Wood Coaster Poll and the 2005 Hades In-Season Poll

THE NEW JERSEY AIR TIME CLASSIC
    #24 ranked: J2 (Tsunami) vs. unranked: El Toro

THE UNDERWORLD - UPTOWN RIVALRY

#8 ranked: Hades vs. unranked: El Toro

As far as Voyage goes, it's coach . . uhh, Team Leader has stated the following:
    "come fall 2006, Shivering Timbers, we'll see you in the IWCP series championship"
    Thank you for riding Reaper! Drop Ride to Doom, and remember to desecrate a sanctuary today.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200, employee mode

Toro will be in the same league as Voyage. Again, Voyage has NOTHING on Toro except tunnels and length (and Toro is a fairly long wooden coasters).

What I am excited to see is how well HW's original 2 wooden coasters matchup to Voyage.
    Top 5 coasters: El Toro, S:ROS at SFNE, The Voyage, Millennium Force, Cornball Express
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Boulderdash | Steel Roller Coaster: Superman: Ride of Steel

^^^^I'll be riding those two over and over again while everyone else is in line for Voyage. That's all I know! Give me a couple rides on Voyage and then, it's over to the Raven and Legend for the rest of the day!
    "Ok, fat ***, we've just traveled 2,460 miles just for a little Roy Wally entertainment. The moose says you're closed. I say you're open!"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Mystery Mine

Will he use it for good or.... Ta2KX's Avatar
    When I think about it, the only problem here is riding and rating coasters is a subjective hobby. Several key factors really hinder coasters from being rated in their true nature:

1. What coasters has the rider already experienced to which he or she may compare something new? How long has it been since he or she has been on some of their favorite coasters?

2. Is there a regional or park bias?

3. Is there a Company/Design bias? Some people are true purists with their wood coasters, and they are not quick to change their opinions.

I have to give a lot of credit to the Internet Wood Coaster Poll. Fortunately, the vote tabulation system uses an algorithm sophisticated enough to nullify the 1st factor.

And concerning points 2 and 3, I think there is large enough group of educated enthusiasts in this world that a random sample of them would produce an honest trend of opinions.

So does that mean individual X is wrong for stating Beast at King's Island as the #1 wood? Well no, of course not, but if that person has ridden 300 coasters as opposed to only about 100, his opinion likely is more right. There are a lot of very enthusiastic people on these boards, that's always welcome and encouraged, though it's striking how many people have failed to even ride 50 coasters, counting kiddie coasters.

I guess what I'm trying to say is while rating coasters is largely opinionated, there is a bit more objectiveness in the words of all those among us who Ride first, Debate second. To be blunt, if you've been to two parks, your vote shouldn't even matter. Even if they are the two best parks in the world, you'd be lost to explain why they're the best. Yet in the grand scheme of it all, even if we all someday ride every coaster in existence, those same 3 factors I mentioned before will still keep us from understanding what is the #1 steel and what is the #1 wood.
    Thank you for riding Reaper! Drop Ride to Doom, and remember to desecrate a sanctuary today.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200, employee mode

I got wood just thinking about these great coasters!

Looping Poster
    I'd seriously say both are definitely better. Looking at the vast difference in concept, technology and expected ride experience, including the way parks do hype each, you might well be able to say that in terms of overall quality one is more equal than the other, or vice versa. This then of course applying to both!

Ever heard of "apples & oranges"?
    Limits? NoLimits!

Roller Coaster Documentary

Hi,
    I'm a Researcher from the UK working on a documentary about Wooden Roller Coasters for the Discovery Channel, including El Toro and Voyage.
    We're looking for old footage of theme parks, preferably with wooden roller coasters in shot, from the 1970's and before. It doesn't matter what format it is on, but we'd love stuff shot in super 8 or super 16 if anyone has any. It doesn't matter what park it is, or even which country it was shot in.
    If you think you may have some good footage you'd lend us please email me on richard.bradley@northonetv.com and let me know roughly what is on the tapes.
    Thanks for all your help,
    Rich
    richard.bradley@northonetv.com

Quote Originally Posted by dcs221
    Voyage isn't a record breaker.
    You are kidding, right?

Of course Voyage is a record breaker, it's been talked about everywhere!
    -tallest Gravity Group coaster
    -most 90* banked turns on a wooden coaster
    -most airtime on any coaster
    -most underground moments on any coaster
    -most tunnels on any coaster

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro1118
    Best drop on any wooden coaster
    I love listening to you arrogent New Jersey people. Best drop on an any wooden coaster eh?

http://drkssk.fc2web.com/zekkyou/nasu/big/big001.jpg
    http://drkssk.fc2web.com/zekkyou/nasu/big/big03.jpg

This steel coaster held the steepest drop record for some time, however I would highly doubt at the time it was built that it even had close to the most thrillling drop.

You don't have the best ride ever, don't be so narrowminded.

Quote Originally Posted by steel
    You are kidding, right?

Of course Voyage is a record breaker, it's been talked about everywhere!
    -tallest Gravity Group coaster
    -most 90* banked turns on a wooden coaster
    -most airtime on any coaster
    -most underground moments on any coaster
    -most tunnels on any coaster
    Yes
    Yes
    No - Still think it's AC or something of the like. It definitely doesn't have the record in most negative G forces either, I think that's held by either Dodonpa or Expedition Geforce, most like Dodonpa.
    No - Dragon Mountain perhaps?
    No - Indoor coasters are a very large tunnel in itself, and Dragon Mountain or maybe The Beast still probably wins in that aspect.
    Last edited by Matt M; 10-18-2005 at 08:04 AM.

rawr!
    I think they will be equally great for different reasons!

Also, lets not forget about the new GCI woodies

Q
    Favorites: | Wooden Roller Coaster: I have yet to ride a decent woodie :( | Steel Roller Coaster: Dueling Dragons: Ice

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast