Thread: Archive.org live music

Archive.org live music

If you go to www.archive.org you can find literally thousands of free live shows dating from the 60's up until present day. Most of the bands are jam bands such as Grateful Dead (2995 shows alone), String Cheese Incident, Yonder Mountain String Band, Robert Randolph, etc but there is some other stuff on there too. Check it out if you are into live jam music, I highly recommend it.

Archive.org is a great site. I've gotten a few Dead shows off of there along with some Umphry's McGee. Most of the bands on there are virtually unknown and I don't really like most of the bands on there that I have heard of. Too bad they dont have any Zeppelin material. The only way to get lossless Zep audio online is through bittorrent. So I just stick to regular mail trading with those. But I think the only way to know if a band is good or not is how good they sound live. You can also download some older movies and cartoons from that site.

Well, scratch the 3000 Grateful Dead shows from that site. The remaining members of the band pulled all soundboard recordings from the site. The audience recordings are still there but only for streaming. Apparently they are going to be selling the soundboard recordings online. A lot of people are pissed about this. I don't really care because I'm not a big Dead fan. Jerry sure would be pissed about this though.

Yeah I just heard about that the other day. Really sucks, I only have four Dead shows and was intending to get more.

And the Dead change there mind yet again. Now all audience recordings are back up for downloads and the soundboards are up for streaming. Apparently they change there minds because of an overwhelming amount of angry feedback from fans saying that they refused to buy anymore merchandise. So a ploy to gain money ultimately ended up losing money for the Dead. The relationship between the fans and the band will never be the same. No more soundboards available for free and now the Dead really can't be trusted either. Oh well, Phish will always be the greatest jam band.

Well that's good news. That whole fiasco didn't last very long. Phish is great, though I slightly prefer moe.

Some more news regarding the Live Music Archive. Apparently 311 agreed to let their shows be uploaded. So if you are a fan of 311, I would reccomend you head over and check it out. I know we have some pretty big 311 fans around here.