Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XBOX 360 backwards compatible games

rockin roller coast poster annoyed's Avatar

XBOX 360 backwards compatible games

Well, as ost of us know, Xbox 360 will be backwards compatible with some original Xbox games. So I was wondering if anybody knew of a list or somthing of these games. Another questoin i have is would all the new games that are just coming out or are coming out in the future be backwards compatible?
    "Everybody claims I'm crazy and go over the edge. But the view is so much better from the edge."
    - Stan Checketts
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: does hades count | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

im pretty sure Halo and Halo 2
    Go Vikings!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Legend | Steel Roller Coaster: 1)Kingda Ka 2)Nitro 3)Steel Venom

Storm Runner Poster magnumxl2005's Avatar
    As for right now, the 360 does not have a list of the games that will not be playable for the system.
    HAPPY 100 HERSHEY!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Lightning Racer | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Banned
    It'll probably just be the Microsoft games like Halo that are all buddy-buddy with them.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/back...ygameslist.htm

You welcome.

Note: A software emulator is required for each original Xbox game you play on your Xbox 360™ console. Please check back for more details as we approach the launch date.
    I guess these games will be causing more trouble than good. lol

Storm Runner Poster magnumxl2005's Avatar
    Yeah I gues I was wrong, I just found that link and was about to post it. Anyways if you ask me..that isn't a whole bunch of games atleast not as much as I thought.
    HAPPY 100 HERSHEY!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Lightning Racer | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

I'm the good looking one Brian F's Avatar
    A town called Big Nothing (Really Big Nothing)
    Hmm- looking at the list, I do not see Bloodrayne or Bloodrayne 2

Microsoft is gonna have to try a bit harder if they want my money.
    ThrillNetwork Lead Moderator
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force or Magnum- tough call.

Mech Assault 2 can't be played. For a second I though I was going to have some extra cash by selling in the Xbox. Is it in any way likely that they might add more games to the backwards compatibility list?

Yeah, shes awesome...JUST DEAL slipknot8527's Avatar
    I don't understand why everyone is so worried about the backwards compatibility. YOu can play the majority of the great games, but the good thing is, it's a new system, so you can look forward to NEW games with NEW sequels. Just keep your XBOX if you feel so inclined to play sub-par games like Mech Assault or Blood Rayne.
    HANNAH MONTANA!!!!!!!!!
    TAKING THE WORLD BY STORM!!!!!
    "I'm living proof....THAT GIRLS CAN ROCK!!!!!!"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Great American Scream Machine | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

Well, I can understand why people would be upset about it. Let's not even consider the fact that the PS2 plays PS1 games, The DS plays GBA games and that GBA played many or most GB games and that also PS3 will play most PS2 games (I think) and last the Revolution will play GC games as well as older titles through downloads (whew, I'm out of breath.) A reason people should be concerned is a couple other reasons.

1. It's nice to be able to sell the old system and get a few bucks for it to put towards the new systems or games. And it's nice not having to pull out an older system just to play older games. It can be a big convience for gamers. Also the current system and next generation systems aren't exactly small. Not everyone has the room for their consoles.

2. The price. Now that systems aren't going to be any lower than $300 and can and will be $400 and up, I think gamers should be concerned if the new system will play their older games. I understand it has to do with new chips, etc and having the rights to play the old games on new equipment. It's hard to explain but I read an article about why some or a lot of games wouldn't be playable on the Xbox360. Regardless gamers are paying a lot of money to play. So of course expectations will be high.
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME
    Favorites: Amusement Park: 1. Cedar Point 2. SFGAm 3. Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1. The Voyage 2. Viper 3. The Boss 4. Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: 1. Millennium Force 2. Top Thrill Dragster 3. Maverick 4. Raging Bull 5. Raptor

You have to pay for a emulator to play your old Xbox games? Microsoft is a whore. Its that simple, they are.

Its a wonder you don't pay money to plug your Xbox 360 in for power. I mean you already pay to use a DVD Player with the cheesey remote. Oh 30 dollars that I REALLY shouldn't pay for. Pay 50 bucks to play online for a year. Yeah, its not that bad, but notice how you don't have to pay to play online for PC...PS2...and even.....*gag* Nintendo Revolution? Hm...

Microsoft is making a killing with their gaming system...the Xwhore...I mean Xbox. They're doing a great job too...practical people like myself want nothing of it.
    Thornton to Heatley all day, every day.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Mean Streak | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Suspended Poster RllrCoasterFan's Avatar
    Backwards Compatability isn't that big of a deal for me. I mean once you get how many games are you actually going to go back and play? Halo for you fanboys and maybe some others but most of your favorite games will be out on XBOX 360 with sequels or even realesed as an XBOX 360 game. I do want to be able to play a few old games and their on that list but once it comes out you'll be wanting to play the new games so what is the big deal. Halo 3 will be released on 360 so take a breather.

No what I want to know is, will the games being realesed on the original XBOX later (after the launch) be playable on 360?? That is what you need to be worried about.
    SCREWED UP
    From T-TOWN 2 H-TOWN
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast, Mean Streak, and Wild Cat(Frontier City) | Steel Roller Coaster: TTD, Millennium Force, Titan, Raptor, Wildfire, and many others...

Suspended Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle L
    You have to pay for a emulator to play your old Xbox games? Microsoft is a whore. Its that simple, they are.
    You do not have to pay for anything! The required patches will be available for download through Xbox Live and through xbox.com. If you buy the full system with the hard drive, it will be prepared from the factory with compatability for some games.

Quote Originally Posted by RllrCoasterFan
    Backwards Compatability isn't that big of a deal for me. I mean once you get how many games are you actually going to go back and play?
    Yes, people will. Look on Ebay and you will see people paying decent money to buy old games and it's not always those who just want them as collectibles. There's also emulators that people use to play old games, flashback systems and controllers and new releases that hold numerous old games on them. And Nintendo has a popular line of classic releases of old NES and SNES games on their GBA which has sold well. So there is obviously a big market for old games.

I'm not an Xbox fan but I know that when I get my Nintendo Revolution, I'll be playing some of the better GC games as well as getting downloading older games from the NES, SNES, N64.
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME
    Favorites: Amusement Park: 1. Cedar Point 2. SFGAm 3. Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1. The Voyage 2. Viper 3. The Boss 4. Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: 1. Millennium Force 2. Top Thrill Dragster 3. Maverick 4. Raging Bull 5. Raptor

If you can play some of those classic GCN, N64, SNES, and NES games on Nintendo Revolution, I am definitely buying that. Plus those new games they are coming out with too. Not to mention you can play probably all of the GCN games on NR and not just some of them. I will just mooch off of friends for games like Halo 3, GTA games, and more.
    - I guess Coasterlove said it all for me.

What do I care though, I play my game systems once every two months.
    Last edited by Bencerisback; 11-14-2005 at 05:07 PM.
    I'm in love with 30 Rock, Outkast and Maverick.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands Of Adventure

Strata Poster

Its a wonder you don't pay money to plug your Xbox 360 in for power. I mean you already pay to use a DVD Player with the cheesey remote. Oh 30 dollars that I REALLY shouldn't pay for. Pay 50 bucks to play online for a year. Yeah, its not that bad, but notice how you don't have to pay to play online for PC...PS2...and even.....*gag* Nintendo Revolution? Hm...

Microsoft is making a killing with their gaming system...the Xwhore...I mean Xbox. They're doing a great job too...practical people like myself want nothing of it.
    You don't have to pay, just download it on Xbox Live. Plus they need the emulator because they switched companies for the graphics processor so there was no other way to do it.

I'll likely be buying one of these bad boys after Christmas when I have some more money.

Favorites: Amusement Park: EPCOT Center | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Top Thrill Dragster

Wow, Microsoft has questionable taste in games looking at that BC line-up...
    THIS ISN'T NORMAL. I'VE GOT TO GET OUT OF THIS HORRENDOUS PLACE.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Raging Wolf Bobs | Steel Roller Coaster: Raging Bull

I've played the Xbox 360 kiosk at our EB multiple times in the last few weeks, and I'm not impressed. The console is a lot smaller (and uglier) then I thought it would be, and I thought that the graphics only looke good because they were in high definition.

Suspended Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Montu Man
    I've played the Xbox 360 kiosk at our EB multiple times in the last few weeks, and I'm not impressed. The console is a lot smaller (and uglier) then I thought it would be, and I thought that the graphics only looke good because they were in high definition.
    High definition was the next step in the evolution of the consoles that both Microsoft and Sony are touting. Did you expect more?

While I know that this discussion is happening elsewhere but this is why Nintendo is developing the Revolution...to get beyond graphics.

Suspended Poster RllrCoasterFan's Avatar
    So will the 360 be able to play games that are coming out later in the year and in 2006 that are going to be released on the original XBOX or are they also going to be released later on 360?
    SCREWED UP
    From T-TOWN 2 H-TOWN
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast, Mean Streak, and Wild Cat(Frontier City) | Steel Roller Coaster: TTD, Millennium Force, Titan, Raptor, Wildfire, and many others...

sorry guys.. I havent bee keeping up on things here. Thanks Eastcoastn07.

Quote Originally Posted by RllrCoasterFan
    Backwards Compatability isn't that big of a deal for me. I mean once you get how many games are you actually going to go back and play? Halo for you fanboys and maybe some others but most of your favorite games will be out on XBOX 360 with sequels or even realesed as an XBOX 360 game. I do want to be able to play a few old games and their on that list but once it comes out you'll be wanting to play the new games so what is the big deal. Halo 3 will be released on 360 so take a breather.

No what I want to know is, will the games being realesed on the original XBOX later (after the launch) be playable on 360?? That is what you need to be worried about.
    the thing is... I want to be able to get a couple of games for the original Xbox that just came out, and get the 360 at the same time. take Half-Life 2 for example.
    "Everybody claims I'm crazy and go over the edge. But the view is so much better from the edge."
    - Stan Checketts
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: does hades count | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster Freak
    You do not have to pay for anything! The required patches will be available for download through Xbox Live and through xbox.com. If you buy the full system with the hard drive, it will be prepared from the factory with compatability for some games.
    So you gotta have Xbox Live and a High Speed Internet connection. Its still not built in, but I did remember that Xbox 360 swapped processors.

Backwards compatibility is kinda gimmicky if you think about. My PS2 has it for PS1...but frankly...I don't play my PS1 games that much, and if I do I drag my PS1 to people's houses and crap.
    Thornton to Heatley all day, every day.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Mean Streak | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

So you gotta have Xbox Live and a High Speed Internet connection. Its still not built in, but I did remember that Xbox 360 swapped processors.
    youre right... but its free to just to be connected XBOX Live. it only costs money to play, or download downloads that cost money. free downloads and patches for example, dont cost you a cent.
    - Stan Checketts

Patches

I've always hated that about computer games and the thought that gamers might have to deal with in console games frightens me. I think a game should be shipped when it works correctly. Yeah, a game can be fixed through a patch but that's an inconvienence to the buyer.

Why should a buyer have to fix the problem that a programmer missed or more likely overlooked in order to meet a deadline? We're not getting paid to do their job. If a buy a game, I'm paying full price, it should be a full working game.

And believe it or not, not everyone has internet. So why should they remained screwed by a game because they can't ge the neccessary patch that wasn't mentioned on the box cover when they bought the game in the first place.

If I ever had a game that didn't work correctly and needed a patch, it's not going to get a patch, it's going to be taken back to the store. I'm not buying that brand. And I'm not doing the programmer or delevoper's job for them.
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME

Yeah, but atleast they offer the patches...they could just say" Sorry, your screwed" Crap when windows first came out look how many patches it had for it..Besides ,if you like something enough, you'll get it fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Komatz70
    Yeah, but atleast they offer the patches...they could just say" Sorry, your screwed"
    Don't act like they're doing us a favor by fixing the game that WE BOUGHT. We did them a favor by purchasing their product and since we bought it, it's only natural to want a working product. And they could say we're screwed? I think not, I'd come right back "No you're screwed as I take back my game for a refund."
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME

Yeah, shes awesome...JUST DEAL slipknot8527's Avatar
    Coasterlove, patches are completely acceptable in my book. Developers/designers cannot even begin to find out what bugs will take place once a million people sign onto XBOX Live with different connections around the world. Most "patches" for the XBOX are Live related, and include ways to fix glitches, ways to discourage cheating, and general improvements to make the connection better. If they want to release patches to help increase these areas, what's wrong with that?
    HANNAH MONTANA!!!!!!!!!
    TAKING THE WORLD BY STORM!!!!!
    "I'm living proof....THAT GIRLS CAN ROCK!!!!!!"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Great American Scream Machine | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

The Electronics Guru
    I've found many bugs/glitches in every game i've ever played despite company.

Would you rather have a company that won't do **** about it, or one that does? If there are major bugs that is one thing. Most patches get the little gliches that weren't found during testing. Some games are more annoying than others when it comes down to it. Resident Evil was bad because you get a lower score for saving. If you got to the labs and hit a glitch, it can mean that you start over again.

Costerloves logic would mean he would take every game he had ever bought back. More likely you live with the problems with the games. The option to get rid of those problems is a benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by coolstarwasim
    im pretty sure Halo and Halo 2
    Thank God. I traded in my regular XBox the other day, and only kept those 2 games. lol.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Great Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Kingda Ka

Since we've strayed off the topic for the most part, I will post my view of the 360.

Because there is no killer app available at launch (or none that really interest me), I see no reason to rush out and buy one this year. I am perfectly happy with playing games on my computer and current generation consoles. Maybe next year, by March there will be a reason to buy it (and that is when demand is expected to go down), but right now, I see no reason to go out and purchase this fine, quality product from the fine company known as Microsoft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast