Thread: Chat room

Question Chat room

I wanted to ask this a long time ago but didn't get to it:

Why isn't chat there anymore? Its so much fun!
    I'm going to try my best to try and light an old flame...

I think it needs to be fixed but I am not shure.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Kingda Ka/Top Thrill Dragster

Steven has made it clear a number of times that TN is no longer using IRC, so I'd only expect the chat to reopen if and only if they find another method of chat such as java based.

We've had problems with the IRC chat in the past. We plan on eventually investigating the feasibility of reopening chat. However you have to keep in mind that while chat is fun it’s not the most important thing for us to spend our time on. I wouldn’t expect it up for a few more months if ever.
    ThrillNetwork Tech Admin

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghost Rider | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

^ awww...that sucks.... Since i'm from South Africa its a lot of fun talking to americans and other people around the world but, oh well...

Sorry to revive an old topic, but is this chat room still not working? Because whenever I log in it says "Unable to connect."

Bowserjoe,

We still have not re-opened the IRC chat on ThrillNetwork. We are exploring other options but, as I mentioned earlier this isn't our top priority for the site at the moment.

I completely understand about missing CoasterChat; it was loads of fun.
    ThrillNetwork Tech Admin

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghost Rider | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Don't forget that Dan G, set up this chat.
    http://www.chatroom.thrillnetwork.net

This describes it. http://www.chatroom.thrillnetwork.net

Blue and White Ignite! VekomahangNbang's Avatar
    So what's so bad about the IRC?
    GO MAGIC
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick

What IS the IRC?

I'm the good looking one Steven's Avatar
    www.irc.org

The history of IRC is here.

Our server was a private IRC server, which we had security issues with. Ultimately, we were forced to take it down.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

That chat room no longer works.

What happend to the unofficial room?

I'd like to have a chat party again like we did in the old days.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Wes the unoffical rooms seems to be working. What are you talking about? http://www.chatroom.thrillnetwork.net/

I went there last night and it said "this room no longer in use" or something like that.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Wooden Poster
    You're close Wes, actually what it said is "This room is no longer in use. Please see #coasterzone for details."

There has been some reshuffling and so #tnchat the former unofficial chat merged with #coasterchat the original unofficial chat, to form #coasterzone, where we all hang out now.

Dan should be trying to get the applet to switch over to the new chat, until then all you have to do is click the applet and upon entering the room type /join #coasterzone. This will get you to the action.

James
    Way to let out our secret coaster chatroom......

Ok, coaster venom just sent me an IM telling me i broke the first rule of the chat. ALL I did, was log into the chatroom, introduce myself, and then James kicked me out within 2 seconds. Next thing I know, I get messages on AIM telling me I'm an idiot. Nobody will tell me what I did wrong. I also did not see a list if chat rules, so can anybody tell me what the first rule is?

I don't see how I can break a rule by just logging in and introducing myself!

It sure is a good thing our chat room isn't affiliated in any way shape or form with ThrillNetwork, or there could be serious touble, leading to serious consequences here! My Gosh!

Oh snap!

Coastercameron 1, Bowserjoe ZERO!!!

Ok, I found out that the first rule is to only use your own username.

Umm, I used my real username! (Bowserjoe)

C'mon guys, seriously! I feel like I"m on candid camera because I have no clue what i did or what's going on!

I didn't say you violated a chat rule, you violated a rule of life.

YOU LOSE, GOOD DAY SIR!

What Was The Rule!?

(admin edit link removed) That isn't even necessary to post.
    Last edited by Katie; 05-09-2006 at 06:09 PM.

Yeah this is getting out of line. Either keep it to standard chat room issues, or take it to PM's otherwise this is about to be closed.
    ~Website Admin and Staff Director~

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

Been Here Since the Begining Sir Willow's Avatar
    And here we're seeing why the previous chatroom was also killed.

Guys, please, keep the personal stuff like this either in your "private" chatroom, in IM's, or PM's. Not on the boards.
    Have you read my number 1 best seller? There will be a test! ~God
    Life with God is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
    My park & coaster photos: Sir Willow's Smugmug pictures
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, Bonfante Gardens, Holiday World, SFGrAm, Legoland and Disneyland | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix,Thunderhead- Dollywood, NM Rattler, Raven & Legend- HW, Viper- SFGrAm, Giant Dipper-SCBB | Steel Roller Coaster: X!!, Goliath, Talon, Millenium Force, Montu, Kumba, others

I will follow Katie's previous, nearly identicle order.

Minetrain Poster
    This has nothing to do with the old chat room and why it was removed. Bowserjoe failed to realize there is no connection between the chat he cited and this website. So you are right in that there should be no further discussion of this here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Willow
    And here we're seeing why the previous chatroom was also killed.

Guys, please, keep the personal stuff like this either in your "private" chatroom, in IM's, or PM's. Not on the boards.
    Well, technically this has nothing to do with why the old chatroom was removed. The removal of the original chatroom was due to issues with the independent IRC server the chat was on. If you want to know more about the issue, talk to Steven.

As for what goes on in the chatroom, this chatroom is in no way affiliated with Thrillnetwork. I created the applet to share with people so people from the boards can come in and talk somewhere else but the forums. If you noticed on the front page of the http://chatroom.thrillnetwork.net site, it does say "Unofficial" meaning it has no affiliation whatsoever with the site. Steven was kind enough to give me a subdomain for the applet, but it's been made clear many times now that there is no connection, so I don't see why people keep coming here to complain about issues with the chat.

If you have any issues with the applet, DO NOT post them here, this chat has nothing to do with TN and TN admins are not going to assist you because like I said, the chat is independent from the actual site. If you have problems, you can contact me and ask for assitance since I'm the one who created the applet.

Lastly, stop coming on the boards and flooding it with complaints about the chat. Keep the complaints in instant messages and private messages like Katie said and stop posting them on here. If it comes down to it, I'll just remove the applet from the subdomain and you won't be able to get on the chat unless you know how to use IRC. So don't ruin this, I only created it to help everyone out and give everyone else a place to chat. Stop bringing your problems to the boards because they don't belong here.

Been Here Since the Begining Sir Willow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan G
    Well, technically this has nothing to do with why the old chatroom was removed. The removal of the original chatroom was due to issues with the independent IRC server the chat was on. If you want to know more about the issue, talk to Steven.
    Maybe not on the technical aspect, but from a mod-at-the-time's perspective, dealing with the stuff that flowed from the chatroom onto the boards sometimes was a pain in the neck. This is a perfect example of that kind of stuff popping up again, and if TN ever does have a chatroom again, it may rear it's ugly head again. I remember from some of the discussions at the time there were a number of people that didn't mind seeing it disappear and close for that very reason.

And it would be one reason that, sadly, I wouldn't want to see an "official" chatroom again.
    Have you read my number 1 best seller? There will be a test! ~God
    Life with God is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
    My park & coaster photos: Sir Willow's Smugmug pictures
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, Bonfante Gardens, Holiday World, SFGrAm, Legoland and Disneyland | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix,Thunderhead- Dollywood, NM Rattler, Raven & Legend- HW, Viper- SFGrAm, Giant Dipper-SCBB | Steel Roller Coaster: X!!, Goliath, Talon, Millenium Force, Montu, Kumba, others