Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats your Worst Park Experience?

Wooden Poster

Post Whats your Worst Park Experience?

We all been to many parks around the country. I would like for all to share there worst park experience. I would like you to be very discreet you dont have to name the park you where in. What makes bad experiences at a theme park?

-Line Cutters
    -Ride ops moving slow
    -Bad Staff
    -Bad Weather
    -Long Lines

Thanks

I think my worst experience was probably Astroland back in August. It was not downright horrible but it's the worst I got. THe rides were good, but the ride ops moved really slow. On the Top Spin, one guy was moving really slow and he wouldn't let us in unless like over half the capacity of the ride was in line, so we waited 30 minutes which would have been a walk on on the other parks. I also waited forever for Power Surge and Break Dance.

Deejay's Diner at SFOG, waited over 30 minutes for a mediocre Chicken sandwhich and a coke. That is by far, the worst park experience ever for me.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great America | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage (Holiday World) | Steel Roller Coaster: Kumba (BGT)

My worst park experience was when my small home park thorpe park had a total of 19,000 people. as the park is quite small it took two hours to get near the restrooms and the queue lines went up to 4 hours

In The Loop Reporter SFOT Source's Avatar
    Being at Six Flags Over Texas yesterday and the power going out, then everyone freaking out and running around like idiots. They handled it great and extended the park hours so you got your money's worth.
    Proud Reporter of In The Loop

www.sfot-source.com
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Over Texas | Wooden Roller Coaster: Texas Giant | Steel Roller Coaster: Shockwave (Six Flags Over Texas)

Blue and White Ignite! VekomahangNbang's Avatar
    I went to PKD and neither Volcano nor Tomb Raider were open when we got there a minute after the park opened. So, we took the forst ride on Avalanche. Right after we got off, Volcano was open and had a 30 minute wait. That sucked!

400th post!!
    Last edited by VekomahangNbang; 12-04-2005 at 04:42 PM.
    GO MAGIC
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick

Teh Band
    I have had many bad experiences at Gadv. Every time I go the employees are horrid. They treat you like crap. They couldn't care less that you are there. The customer service is terrible, the efficiency is terrible causing lines to take forever (they stack all 3 trains on Nitro, the average stacking time on every ride is around 4-5 minutes) , the cleanliness is terrible, and the overall whole experience is terrible. The only reason I go to gadv is for Nitro. One time, when I was on GASM, the restraints in the car that I was in went up. The park is pretty bad.
    Last edited by slnewbus; 12-04-2005 at 07:47 PM.

All the bad experiences at Six Flags show the company's true fineness.
    GO MAGIC
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick

When I was at PKD Volcano, Hurler, and Hypersonic XLC were closed the entire day. It sucked.
    Asia: four little letters, four billion little people.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider | Steel Roller Coaster: Xcelerator

Mean Streak fan #337 DemonHunter4337's Avatar
    Actually two I can think of. CP back in 1996 when Mantis opened long liens for everything couldn't ride squat. And SF: WOA back in 2001. The park was dirty, the employees were rude and Taco Bell Express took 45. Min to get my food.
    ThrillNetwork Honorary Staff Member
    Daniel T. Miller: 1981-2007
    Peace,Love,Life!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Big Dipper | Steel Roller Coaster: Raptor

Intimidating Poster! Carowinds 73-03's Avatar
    All 5 trips to SFOG have been my top 5 works park visits. For the main reasons of course..

Line Cutters
    Ride ops moving slow
    Bad Staff
    Bad Weather
    Long Lines
    Dirty, Smelly park
    Rides never opened when the park did
    and just an overall bad crowd.

Hmmm off the top of my head.........

SFGA in 1999, was overcrowded in only a way that could be matched by Disney. 1 hr ++ waits for any coaster, including the mediocre ones.

SFDL several times for : capacity/effeciency issues, plus running only one train on Superman when it was busy. Won't go back til things improve.
    cheers

-p

http://www.myspace.com/pschroeder
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

^2 more bad trips to some fine Six Flags establishments.
    GO MAGIC

Teh Band
    Vekoma until you actually visit a Six flags park where you can talk smack on your own merits shut your trap

I can't honestly think of a truly "bad experience" that I've had. I mean, I've been to some crappy parks but that didn't mean that I didn't try to have fun. I guess the crappiest days have come at Astroworld, Kings Dominion and Visionland, but again, not really that bad.

edit: Canada's Wonderland kind of stunk since it was probably 90 degrees, the park stunk, the place was packed and we were fed up so it was probably the only park I have ever left early even though there were still things I wanted to ride.

^You always say that

I was just saying that SF sounds kinda crappy since all of these people have had bad experiences at their parks.
    GO MAGIC

The worst would be Dorney, just this year, Oct 16th a Sunday afternoon just 2 hrs after opening.

Lynne and I went for a few hrs to get a few last Talon rides and to purchase our 2006 season passes

The bathrooms at the park entrance were terrible. In the mens room while I was going 2 employees were turning on and off the lights and joking in Spanish. There was water slopped all over the place and no soap to wash up with. Lynne told me the womens room was even worse. All the toilets were clogged and there was no toilet paper or soap. Also 2 employees there joking around and not working.

Then at the season pass entrance the girl working there really chewed out a kid for coming to her gate with a regular ticket. It was totally uncalled for!

Then walking down the midway I noticed Hydra wasn't running. As we headed to Talon I saw that was closed. I asked the girl at the entrance about it and she snapped out at me that she didn't know a thing. I laughed and she got really mad.

Needless to say we left without buying 2006 passes. We were at the park a total of 15 minuites. If I go to the park next year it will only be once or twice for the evening ticket.

All was not lost for the day. We left Dorney and went to Dutch Wonderland. We had a blast at one of the cleanest and the absolutely friendliest park ever.
    High Speed Thrill Coaster...."World's Finest" Overland Coaster

My First Coaster
    NEW MATH
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebels | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix-Knoebels | Steel Roller Coaster: HSTC-Knoebels

Wooden Poster
    ^ wow some trip you had well sometimes parks cant fullfill there duties with employees like that.

Well I got stale, undercooked fries at Southside Grille at PCW.

Other than that, the other thing was my fault. I tripped over the side of Dragon Fire's car when I was getting out.

^^ haha i remember that..........
    cheers

-p

http://www.myspace.com/pschroeder
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

Teh Band
    Quote Originally Posted by VekomahangNbang
    ^You always say that

I was just saying that SF sounds kinda crappy since all of these people have had bad experiences at their parks.
    And you continue to insult a chain without merit. Go to a Six Flags park then we'll talk

A lot of people have fantastic experiences with Millennium Force but that doesn't mean I do(did).. hell, it's not even in my top 10.. or top 10 steel.. or top 20.. and barely top 20 steel..! what I'm saying is you can't judge entirely based on what others say.

At least when I insult Paramount parks or Cedar Fair operations or Curtis Summers I can back it up with experience and not rely on what others have said

Been Here Since the Begining Sir Willow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VekomahangNbang
    ^You always say that

And a lot of people have had a lot of fantastic visits to Six Flags parks. Many of my favorite visits have been to various Six Flags parks.

Oh, and my worst ever was at Cedar Point. Does having a bad visit mean it's a bad park. No. It means you had a bad visit.

Like Bob said, if you haven't been to it, and don't know from personal experience, it's a good idea to just keep quiet. Better to have people think you a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.

BTW, if you're really interested in me rehashing ancient past and wondering why my worst was at CP, feel free to read about it on this ancient thread:
    http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/...ad.php?t=11833
    Also realize that I have gone back other times since then and had great visits. So it's not a personal deal with the park. But they certainly screwed that up big time in that one instance.
    Have you read my number 1 best seller? There will be a test! ~God
    Life with God is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
    My park & coaster photos: Sir Willow's Smugmug pictures
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, Bonfante Gardens, Holiday World, SFGrAm, Legoland and Disneyland | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix,Thunderhead- Dollywood, NM Rattler, Raven & Legend- HW, Viper- SFGrAm, Giant Dipper-SCBB | Steel Roller Coaster: X!!, Goliath, Talon, Millenium Force, Montu, Kumba, others

Seeing as we were suppose to be discreet I will be, won't even announce the name but I will describe the day and I bet everyone can guess the owners and the park. Okay so I arrive, difficult to find, not many signs for it. Parking fee of around $7, get there not too big of a line, oh no wait thats the people gathered hearing the news of certain ride that won't be open, and of course its something compact, black and made by Vekoma and is similar to something made by B&M but not quite. Okay well fine, but I did travel 2.5 hours and its the last chance I will get that summer, to ride, so here goes. Now that I am pass the first rude employee, the ticket person, on to the next, oh wait, they don't seem to have anymore well except the rude ride operators and the evil guy shouting to guess something of yours. Okay wait, where is all the rides, oh over on the other side, how do we get there, oh we have to figure it out, ok. So after some rides which the lines were not horrible, however the scariest thing ever was while waiting in one line a large C looking piece of structure fell from the coaster. I kid you not. Then, hey lets go eat, and maybe not, I did not want to go that broke today, so lets go to the car and get some snacks, and do they have stamps, nope they promise to remember you, and thats when I went into the souvenier shop to get a receipt for something, so I would have proof I had been in the park that day. So we comeback, does he remember us of course not, but he remembered me when I showed the receipt. Ok you all know the park now, but just in case you can't maybe I can help you out, if I would have traveled about 45 minutes west I would have found the direct opposite, well then it would have been just one awesome coaster, but now theres more.

Jr. Poster
    One time i waited 1 hour for The Giant Dipper at SCBB. Only one train operating and the Ops were slow. It was awful. I mean i couldve done more stuff in that 1 hour.

I don't know that I've ever had a really "bad" experience at a park, but probably my least favorite was back when Geauga Lake was Six Flags Worlds of Adventure. I was there for Physics day in 2001 and although it was nice having virtually no waits for anything except X-Flight, the overall operation of the park stunk.

Rides Closed:
    Big Dipper
    Superman (most of the day)
    Raging Wolf Bobs
    Texas Twister
    a bunch of smaller rides

Also they made us buy food vouchers with our tickets to make sure everyone ate that day and we didnt waste our money in an arcade or on souvenirs. They only had like 3 locations you could use them at and all of them had long lines. I tried their personal pizza and it was so bad I threw half of it away. It tasted like an undercooked frozen pizza, and not one of the good brands either. It was like a cheap generic brand. Anyway I ended up spending like $6 for a 6" sub at Subway and then waited to eat again until we got on the turnpike and stopped at a rest area and had Panera for dinner.

Other than having rides closed and the food being bad however it was still a fun day. I managed to get in 3 rides on Batman (Dominator) in less than 20 minutes and only waited about 30 minutes for X-Flight which was the longest wait of the day.

Teh Band
    Quote Originally Posted by HSTC
    The worst would be Dorney, just this year, Oct 16th a Sunday afternoon just 2 hrs after opening.

Lynne and I went for a few hrs to get a few last Talon rides and to purchase our 2006 season passes

The bathrooms at the park entrance were terrible. In the mens room while I was going 2 employees were turning on and off the lights and joking in Spanish. There was water slopped all over the place and no soap to wash up with. Lynne told me the womens room was even worse. All the toilets were clogged and there was no toilet paper or soap. Also 2 employees there joking around and not working.

Then at the season pass entrance the girl working there really chewed out a kid for coming to her gate with a regular ticket. It was totally uncalled for!

Then walking down the midway I noticed Hydra wasn't running. As we headed to Talon I saw that was closed. I asked the girl at the entrance about it and she snapped out at me that she didn't know a thing. I laughed and she got really mad.

Needless to say we left without buying 2006 passes. We were at the park a total of 15 minuites. If I go to the park next year it will only be once or twice for the evening ticket.

All was not lost for the day. We left Dorney and went to Dutch Wonderland. We had a blast at one of the cleanest and the absolutely friendliest park ever.
    I am deeply sorry for your bad experience at my park.

All I have to say is wow. I have never experienced a day like that in all the years (my whole life) that I have gone to Dorney as a guest or an employee.

You went on the windiest day of the year. The winds were over 50 mph and the b&ms can't run with winds over 40.

As for your experiences with some of the employees, I'm going to go to management and let them know so that this doesn't happen again.

I remember being absolutely exhausted that day from working till 12 both of the nights before. I'm sure some of the people were irritable from being tired.

As for questions about ride status, the gate attendants will not know the answers to them. If you wish to ask someone who will probably know, ask the person at the lower height check of the ride you wish to know the status of.
    Last edited by slnewbus; 12-10-2005 at 03:57 PM.

Last time I went to SFDL, Boomerang, Ranger, Scrambler, Bumper Cars, and a couple of other rides were broken down, but they are all unimportant clones, so it didn't really matter. ALso S:ROS had a line of 30 minutes when it was in the station, but I can tolerate that. Other than that, it was a pretty good day. (Early September 2004)

SFOG. Line cutters, unhelpful staff, you name it.

But thankfully this spring it was a bit better.

Although they still have some of the rudest staff I've ever seen.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

I'm the good looking one Brian F's Avatar
    A town called Big Nothing (Really Big Nothing)
    I've never really had a bad experience at a park, and I've even had multiple trips to a Six Flags park! (Well only once after Six Flags tok control)

I've certainly had some less than perfect experiences on good days, but never a bad day. Some of the negative experiences I've had are rude guests, long lines and broken rides.

I've never had much problem with weather (knocking on wood) I've never had a day rained out. Once, at PKI, we got an afternoon shower that lasted about an hour, but it turned out to be a great thing. The woman I was there with was wanting to go home, and when she said it, her daughter just about started crying. Looking to the West, the clouds looked thinner, so I suggested we get something to eat and wait awhile. The rain passed, and a lot of people left in the meantime. When the rides opened back up, almost everything was a walk-on. I was a hero in the eyes of that little girl!!
    ThrillNetwork Lead Moderator
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force or Magnum- tough call.

180 Coasters And Counting
    The worst park experience I had was in Florida.
    I went in August, bad mistake as it gets really, no I mean really humid.
    So humid that you need to use the windshield wipers just to drive.

So I am standing in line to purchase tickets. There are bars that zig zag back and forth to show where the line starts. I only had about five groups in front of me, so I am feeling pretty good. As the line moves, a group of people don't get in line behind me. No, they stand on the other side of the bars. About two more groups purchase tickets, then the group that was just standing on the outside of the bars, just walk up to the ticket window and bought their tickets. I just shook my head.

As my wife and I were waiting in line for the inverted coaster, the ride op yells to see if there is a group of two riders. I raised my hand and called back to the ride op. The ride op looks at me and waves for us to move ahead. As we push through the line, and finally get to the front, two other people beat us to the seats. They actually looked at my wife and said we should have been faster. As I looked at the ride op that told use to move forward, she just shrugged her shoulders.

People also cut in line for a certain "boat ride" and more than once for the "motion ride". Now that I am thinking about it. People were cutting in front of us on just about every ride there.

I can't remember how long we waited in line to buy lunch. I just remember that it took forever. The food was really good, but I had to eat the fries standing up because there was not a clean place to sit down for awhile.

As I waited in the front row line for another coaster, I could hear that it was raining. I was worried, but the line kept moving. As I got to the front of the line, the coaster was shut down due to the storm rolling in.
    I mean the very next train was going to be mine. We waited there in the front for what about seemed like an hour, but finally gave up and left.
    Last edited by CoastersRule; 12-14-2005 at 12:52 PM.
    This space for rent
    Coaster Count: 180
    Park Count: 29
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point / Magic Mountain | Wooden Roller Coaster: Lighting Racer | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force / Nitro

I guess this doesn't count as a park experience, but once I was going to SFNE, and I-91 was bkocked due to flooding of the Connecticut river. Spent 6 hours in the car just to go eat a late lunch at friendlies. lol.
    In our hearts, it will remain SROS forever.
    Favorites: | Wooden Roller Coaster: Tonnerre de Zeus | Steel Roller Coaster: SROS SFNE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast