Thread: Before Islands of Adventure

Before Islands of Adventure

What was there before Island's of Adventure? Never thought about it, and havn't seen Universal without IOA. I presume City Walk was much larger before?
    My Theme Park Photos:
    T-Park
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Steel Roller Coaster: Nemesis

Blue and White Ignite! VekomahangNbang's Avatar
    Obviously there was Universial Studios Florida (the park)
    GO MAGIC
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick

There wasn't Citywalk either. IOA and Citywalk were constructed together, along with the second parking garage. There was also USF, but it was a lot different back then. Toruing IOA was awesome when it was only half done, as almost nobody got that oppertunity.

The area now occupied by IOA and City Walk was originally part of the Universal Studios Florida parking lot. Also, the Hard Rock Cafe was located in a guitar-shaped building behind E.T. Adventure.

You can sort of see what USF was like in the pre-IOA years in the map below. Years ago, USF was just a side trip from Disney. Now some people go to Orlando just for Universal.

1992 Universal Studios Florida map

I remeber it like that^, when I went, IOA was still being built.

I remember visiting USF way before IOA was built, it wasnt all that different, but it always was just a side trip park.

tom destroyed blink poster dukeandPCfan's Avatar
    10.99 miles from Carowinds, 16.59 miles from the Panthers
    i remember visiting it when IOA was just finished... my brother was just a tiny bit too short for the hulk/dueling dragons, so we were stuck to USF... i remember it before IOA too... but what i remember most from USF is Kongfrontation.... at 5 years old, that was a VERY scary ride the first time i was up there....
    Stanley Cup. CHAMPS.. CAROLINA HURRICANES
    ========================================
    Montreal, New Jersey, Buffalo, and Edmonton went home EMPTY HANDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorites: Amusement Park: Either Knott's or Paramount Carowinds | Wooden Roller Coaster: Hurler | Steel Roller Coaster: Top Gun: The Jet Coaster

James
    I went to USF in 95.. I still have my parking ticket
    IOA was the parking lot.. They didnt have the parking tower..
    Citywalk wasnt around...

And yeah they had the hardrock cafe IN the park.. not where it is now.

lol.. I found this photo of my sister with the hardrock sign.

I went back in 96. I have my ticket, my parking ticket, my map and some other misc. stuff. My most favorite part was seeing the green Nickelodeon fountain I always saw at the end of shows like "Wild and Crazy Kids" and etc. I was so excited...
    ThrillNetwork Editor (past tense: lectricShark)
    Never forget justice is what love looks like in public. -- OXFAM

And in the end we lie awake and we dream of making our escape.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags AstroWorld or Six Flags Over Texas. | Wooden Roller Coaster: Texas Cyclone (RIP). | Steel Roller Coaster: Titan.

When I went to USF in 97 the future IOA was a mud pit filled with construction equipment. No buildings, trees, or pathways of any kind....just one giant sandbox......
    cheers

-p

http://www.myspace.com/pschroeder
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

Cannot imagine USF without IOA, couldn't have been a really big draw in the area, like it was said above, a trip away from Disney, not the holiday place it is now.
    My Theme Park Photos:
    T-Park
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Steel Roller Coaster: Nemesis

My first visit to Orlando was to Disney back in 1995 (I was only 7!), however I didn't even think of visiting USF until after IOA opened. My first visit to IOA wasn't until 2002. It is my personal #3 park (excluding Disney, they are in a different league), but the rest of my family didn't like it too much. We all went to the park at opening, but by 3:00 I was the only one left, everyone else went back to Blizzard Beach. They came back and picked me up just before closing.

I'd still like to try USF, but like everyone said it's just a side trip I think. I still don't think I would visit it for a full day with Disney, IOA, Sea World, and Busch around, so I'd have to guest it would have been about the same before IOA, just a side attraction.

Yeah, I remember when USF first opened up...something like 91 or 92.. I still remember when it was only WDW and you bought ride tickets for the rides...I even still have them somewhere..Oh man I'm feelin" old now

UEO Naval Academy April_fool_79's Avatar
    Traded the roar of coasters for the roar of STOCK CARS!!!
    My grandad and I found a booklet of the Disney tickets in our house last week. I remember using them, too.

When USF opened, *NOTHING* worked. Jaws didn't open, Quake, Kong and BTTF were running sporadically, the Nick tour wasn't going yet. Basically the only things you could do were Fievel's Playground and the shows. We went a lot back then, because we were really too old for MK, and EPCOT & MGM didn't have enough to keep us occupied for a day.

When I was working at Trike Encounter, I had a guy come up to me with a USF map and ask me where BTTF was. I explained that it was in the other park, and he asked me why we moved it over there. I told him it had always been there, and he got mad and proceeded to argue with me for a good 20 minutes that the last time they were there, BTTF was "right where we are standing now", and wanted to know why we moved rides around and confused everybody. I told him that the only thing that had been here before was a parking lot. At this point, a number of people in the queue were laughing at this guy, and I finally got so fed up with him that I said, "Yes sir, we moved that ENTIRE CONCRETE BUILDING all the way across 2 parks, just to confuse you the next time you came here."

USF is always a fun day trip. If you've never seen the Terminator 2: 3-D show, or the Shrek 4 show, or Twister, you're in for a real treat. Most people think "Oh, 3-D / 4-D, I've seen all that stuff before", but T2 really does a good job of combining live action with 3-D. That thing has been running since June 1996, and people *STILL* start clapping at the end of it. If you get in Twister on a good day, the tornado really looks amazing. Just remember to take off your hats.
    ,.-~*`*~-.- April Fool -,.-~*`*~-.
    I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here
    What can I say, I come from race cars and pop rocks
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Magic Mountain | Wooden Roller Coaster: Grizzly | Steel Roller Coaster: X

I went to USF back in 1995/1996, and I remember it being pretty boring. There just wasn't much to do. Even being a 6 year old, I thought Jaws, Earthquake, and Kongfrontation were pretty dull.

I went again in 2001 to IOA. WOW. The park was completely empty, and I got quite a few rides on the dragons.
    Asia: four little letters, four billion little people.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider | Steel Roller Coaster: Xcelerator

I always talk about my first visit to Universal Studios in 1999. I wasn't enough of a big coaster fan to understand what HULK and Dragons was at the time but once learning of IOA soft-preview opening being available in the USF park, I took a stand and begged to get IOA tickets. What an awesome day, what awesome rides. The bugs in Spiderman didn't encourage me to stay in line; I still have not been on Spiderman but I took rides and mulitple rerides of HULK and Dragons - fresh as a baby's bottom new B&M's. HULK had the new B&M rumbles.

Being a Hard Rock Cafe fan and guitar lapel pin collector I am perturbed over a neutered guitar building just sitting vacant in the USF park.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Don't forget about MIB..thats always fun to