Thread: Highly Illegal Activity

Highly Illegal Activity

Okay I'm not sure if this is actually illegal, but Franchise got banned for a similar reason. Rollernut says it all.

http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/...postcount=1895

I'll let the mods decide, but honestly....its a friggin carousel.

I don't have problems with it, and about 99% of the boards don't have a problem with it I would guess. I don't want to give TN a bad rap, but seriously, throw him a friggin bone.
    Thornton to Heatley all day, every day.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Mean Streak | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

UEO Naval Academy April_fool_79's Avatar
    Traded the roar of coasters for the roar of STOCK CARS!!!
    I'm confused. How is that illegal?
    ,.-~*`*~-.- April Fool -,.-~*`*~-.
    I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here
    What can I say, I come from race cars and pop rocks
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Magic Mountain | Wooden Roller Coaster: Grizzly | Steel Roller Coaster: X

Technically, it's illegal to have loose articles (a camera) out while the ride is operating and you're on it (at least if it's a park rule or something). But I don't see much of a problem as it is just a carousel.

The Electronics Guru
    Franchise was both on thin ice and stated that he had unbuckled his seatbelt during a ride on Magnum. His ban notice is here. He also made several obscene comments about me after I banned him. I can take hits. With those comments in mind, it will take much more for me to allow him to be unbanned.

BK2004 doesn't yet have anything on his record and I don't consider the photo in violation. This picture appears to have been taken while the ride was at rest. I will discuss this with other staff members, but don't think any action is needed.

Intimidating Poster! Carowinds 73-03's Avatar
    I really don't see anything wrong either. He did state in his post the ride was not in motion. That and it's just a Carousel.

Yeah, shes awesome...JUST DEAL slipknot8527's Avatar
    So we are to pick and choose who we ban? What about certain mods that pride themselves on sneaking cameras on to rides, and even have entire sites devoted to such activities?
    HANNAH MONTANA!!!!!!!!!
    TAKING THE WORLD BY STORM!!!!!
    "I'm living proof....THAT GIRLS CAN ROCK!!!!!!"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Great American Scream Machine | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

New Mexico Rattler Poster BryanWood's Avatar
    What mods?
    Bryan Wood
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebel's, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage, Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath-SFoG, Phantom's Revenge

The long and short of it is that the administrators and moderators of the site can do whatever they want in whatever circumstance, as is their right since it's their site. Sometimes they watch people closer and just look for a solid reason to ban someone on the way out anyways, while that wouldn't even be a cause for warning another member. I recall right around the Franchise thing, I belive Carowinds 73-03 posted comments about taking cameras on rides with no intent to stop and it was brought to the mods attention. Because he is a "good" member, nothing was done. The same situation is going on here as well.

There never is nor was a hard bottom line. They run the site, and as such, they are entitled to do what they wish no matter what others may think about it. The sooner you all just realize that and stop fighting, the better off you'll be. Hell, look at me. I used to be one of the top anarchists here, but I got sick of talking to thin air and decided I didn't give a damn about the politics of a message board.
    Pleasantly missing since 2006
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Valleyfair | Steel Roller Coaster: Orient Express

Not tring to offend or take sides. But if Someone on my website posted about doing something illegal I wouldent care. Thats thir problemb not mine. If they do anything on my web-site then its my problem.

---Diego

Been Here Since the Begining Sir Willow's Avatar
    ^ The problem is, if someone makes a post like that on a website that you run, you can be help partially responsible for it as if you were supporting, encouraging, or participating in it. In a case like that, it could mean the loss or decline in the site's relationship with several of the parks, as well as a host of other potential problems that could arise from circustances if they just left it alone.

In other words what gets posted to a forum like this isn't just the poster's problem. It has the potential to also become a problem for those that own and run the site if they don't deal with it appropriately.
    Have you read my number 1 best seller? There will be a test! ~God
    Life with God is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
    My park & coaster photos: Sir Willow's Smugmug pictures
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, Bonfante Gardens, Holiday World, SFGrAm, Legoland and Disneyland | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix,Thunderhead- Dollywood, NM Rattler, Raven & Legend- HW, Viper- SFGrAm, Giant Dipper-SCBB | Steel Roller Coaster: X!!, Goliath, Talon, Millenium Force, Montu, Kumba, others

If you (Montu man) had read farther into the thread you would see that he took the picture when the ride was not moving.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

The Electronics Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie
    The long and short of it is that the administrators and moderators of the site can do whatever they want in whatever circumstance, as is their right since it's their site. Sometimes they watch people closer and just look for a solid reason to ban someone on the way out anyways, while that wouldn't even be a cause for warning another member. I recall right around the Franchise thing, I belive Carowinds 73-03 posted comments about taking cameras on rides with no intent to stop and it was brought to the mods attention. Because he is a "good" member, nothing was done. The same situation is going on here as well.

There never is nor was a hard bottom line. They run the site, and as such, they are entitled to do what they wish no matter what others may think about it. The sooner you all just realize that and stop fighting, the better off you'll be. Hell, look at me. I used to be one of the top anarchists here, but I got sick of talking to thin air and decided I didn't give a damn about the politics of a message board.
    If you don't care then why do you still make anarchistic posts? That is hypocritical if you ask me. Message board politics is trivial in my opinion.

We do things is such a way that is rational to us while looking at the big picture. Banning Carowinds 73-03 would have been post de facto and therefore not okay. Franchise had a history at that point of poor behavior and posted what he did. I did set an example with him, but he should have been banned beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknot8527
    So we are to pick and choose who we ban? What about certain mods that pride themselves on sneaking cameras on to rides, and even have entire sites devoted to such activities?
    If you are not going to back your post up then it is worthless. Better yet, your nothing better than just a sensationalist.

I'm the good looking one Steven's Avatar
    Nowhere in the TOS does it say that we have to ban users who violate such discussion.

As Marc mentioned, Franchise had a prior record, and when the discussion rule was broken, he was banned as a result of the multiple offenses and repeated disciplinary action... not because of the discussion itself. How we handle other incidents is not up to the members, but up to the staff, especially since we consider the prior activity of a member and chances that the member would violate the TOS in the future.

I would suggest stopping the witch hunt and get back to whatever discussions you all were happening before this thread (or if you just popped in to get a few cents out after going dormant *looks at Drewbie*, you go back to your own business since you've essentially taken yourself out of the community and people don't rejoin just to complain). The matter is being taken care of by TN staff and will be resolved accordingly.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

First off,
    Quote Originally Posted by TOS
    6) Coaster/Park Rule Discussion - Any discussion in the forums, chat, or any other part of the site that encourages the breaking of any park/coaster rules, has the potential to result in the harm of any individuals/groups of people, and/or may potentially violate any local, state, and/or federal law(s) are not allowed. Such discussion includes, but is not limited to in any way, picturetaking/videotaping on the ride, defeating restraints (such as loose or unbuckled seatbelts or "one-click lapbar rides"), standing up during the ride, illegal downloading/sharing of warez/crackz/mp3s/emulators, etc.
    So yea, you don't have to ban those users, however, the discussions are not allowed. So Steven is correct in saying they don't have to ban users for discussing that. Discussing it would, however, be a violation of the TOS so there's that.

For the record I'm not dormant. As is stated by the staff of these forums quite often, "The forums are not all there is on this site".

I submitted a news story just over a week ago and try to log in everyday. Just because the posts I make either A. aren't read by you because they're in topics you don't follow, or B. not posted at all because topics I'm interested in are filled with blabbering unmoderated children, doesn't mean I'm not "active". I guess if you'd like me to go fully dormant, that's another issue altogether and you know full well what you'd have to do on that one.

As far as my post above goes, I'm not saying anything that's not already been stated by the staff of this site, nor am I critical of you for it. If you'd like me to cite examples of what I'm talking about, I could but I'd much rather let sleeping dogs lie.
    Pleasantly missing since 2006
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Valleyfair | Steel Roller Coaster: Orient Express

Yeah, shes awesome...JUST DEAL slipknot8527's Avatar
    Sorry, I don't want to point the fingers here....but doesn't James pride himself on taking cameras on every ride? And of course the Alveys....I mean, they are technically members too. I don't see anything wrong with it personally, but I would just like the "punishment" to be fair for everyone.
    HANNAH MONTANA!!!!!!!!!
    TAKING THE WORLD BY STORM!!!!!
    "I'm living proof....THAT GIRLS CAN ROCK!!!!!!"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Great American Scream Machine | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

Been Here Since the Begining Sir Willow's Avatar
    The Alveys are members, but they're certainly not staff.

In addition, at least as far as the American parks go, they usually go through a parks PR office and get permission to film on the coasters. So at least as far as the US goes, they're in the clear. I'm not sure about other areas. They also aren't causing other problems and stirring up trouble in other areas as some of the others mentioned are.

In any case, bringing them up does seem to be a bit of a diversion from what the original discussion and subjects where. Unless people are trying to stretch for excuses and trying to steer attention away from what they themselves are doing.
    Have you read my number 1 best seller? There will be a test! ~God
    Life with God is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
    My park & coaster photos: Sir Willow's Smugmug pictures
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, Bonfante Gardens, Holiday World, SFGrAm, Legoland and Disneyland | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix,Thunderhead- Dollywood, NM Rattler, Raven & Legend- HW, Viper- SFGrAm, Giant Dipper-SCBB | Steel Roller Coaster: X!!, Goliath, Talon, Millenium Force, Montu, Kumba, others

James
    Well... I think I should just stay out of this but...

Dont most parks have rules that say you must hold on to the grab bar at all times... So should EVERYONE who does "hands up" be banned.. If rules are rules then I think everyone on this site should be banned... I dont think there is a person on this site who has never rode with hands in the air on a ride or coaster.

Teh Band
    I'm surprised Steven hasn't closed this thread yet. He always closes threads when people prove him wrong.

James. Some things are more serious than others. Phototaking on the ride without the necessary equipment (a secure train camera mount) is extremely dangerous. A camera could easily fly out of your hands and hurt you, or another rider, or someone who is not even on the ride and just happens to be walking by. Taking pictures while on rides is EXTREMELY dangerous and it is important that you abide by the rules the park has made in saying that you cannot take pictures on the ride. I believe that tn should take action against anyone who condones breaking the rules of a park, or the laws of a government on this site.

All this over a fricken Carousel?

At PKI, the exceptions to the no photo rule are:

Carousel
    Hanna-Barbera Carousel
    Eiffel Tower
    Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad
    Yogi's Sky Tours

I imagine it's about the came at Carowinds.

The only thing that would be hurt if you dropped a camera on a carousel, would be the camera itself from falling straight to the floor.

Geez.

Teh Band
    ^I'm not talking about the carousel. I'm talking about like a roller coaster or a high speed thrill ride. It is too dangerous doing something like that.

Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, United States
    I agree with slnewbus about taking cams on Thrill rides and sutch, but i think if you go to media relations and ask if you can do it first then it is ok. Some parks done have mounts so you have to use your hand, but you should only do it if you have permission.

Originally known as Topdrag; Coaster Count: 309 Renegade Count: 846
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Europe | Wooden Roller Coaster: Boulder Dash | Steel Roller Coaster: Superman: Ride of Steel (SFNE)