Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cedar Point 06

Cedar Point 06

Hi I recently applied for the 2006 season at Cedar Point, and I have my interview tommrow. I would just like to know, how its like when you first start out working there. What the first day is like, and any other information you can give me about it.
    http://www.xtremecoastin.com - Step Into The World Of Xtreme! Check us out.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Lightning Racer | Steel Roller Coaster: Kingda Ka (when it opens)

Generally your first couple of days will consist of department training, company orientation, and then on-location training. In some cases it's not quite in that order, but you will generally complete all three training programs within the first few days of working.

Depending on which department you are working in, your experiences will vary widely. I personally work in merchandise, so what I went through is probably a lot different than what you go through if you are a ride op, which I am assuming is where you are applying.

If you start after the first day of the season, expect to come in at least 2 hours before the park opens to do morning training sessions. Until you learn to check restraints and things you will probably not be doing much but working entrance. After you have done basic training you can check restraints, etc., but you still can not "operate" the ride. In order to work controls you must first pass your visual boards test, which is basically a test of control procedures and what all of the lights and buttons mean on the control panel.

I personally know people who worked for 3 months and never even bothered to get certified on their ride, mainly because they didnt care if they got to work controls or not, they just liked checking restraints, etc.

Anyway, thats the short version of my answer. If you have any questions, be sure to let me know. If I can't answer them, I'm sure there is someone on here who can.

Well thats been real helpful man thanks a lot, how long does it usually take to get completely certified?
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Lightning Racer | Steel Roller Coaster: Kingda Ka (when it opens)

The Electronics Guru
    What department is your first choice?

If it's rides I could tell you what to expect in your first week.

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfKa17
    Well thats been real helpful man thanks a lot, how long does it usually take to get completely certified?
    That depends completely on you, I've worked some rides where I passed my Visuals the first day working on it. Visuals are also only for rides that require more then one seperate ride vehicle to operate on the same course, meaning most of the roller coasters and the water rides. The other rides you do NOT need to take a test to work controls.

Your first day depends on when you actually get the park and when you actually arive. Let's say you arrive after HR closes (usually 5PM) then you can go to housing and start processing in there (get your room so you don't need to get a hotel room if you don't want to) then the next morning you go to HR and process in (getting your ID, checking into your department [including all the fun saftey videos form IAAPA circa late 80's early 90's and getting your manuals for your location], going to wardrobe and getting your uniform, and taking a drug test if your department requires it) add going to housing if you are getting to CP before HR closes.

If your arriving two or more weeks before the park opens for operation (as ealry as late march), you work monday-friday 8:30-4:30 (in rides at least) and you clean, clean, clean, clean and clean, you can wear whatever clothes you want, but the older the better. In rides, if you get there the week before the park opens, you'll mostly be cycling the rides empty In the afternoon (this is usually the time the state comes in and certifies the rides for the year) to get a feel for the ride and this is also the time when you learn everything about your ride. In the morning's there's fun meetings that go over park policies and some basic customer service training (plus you get to watch "The guest")

If your arriving after the park opens, you'll process in the same, but your on the job training is a little different, they have checklists for every ride that cover EVERYTHING about the specific ride (everyone must fill one out prior to working on a ride... according to the state of Ohio at least...) and you'll get to see how things are done then you get to do it. Depending on the ride and time of summer, you could be working alone, or you might have other people. Visuals can be taken at any time at Park op and you have to pass them before working in Controls by yourself.

Any other questions?
    RCFreak
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Disneyland Resort | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Legend | Steel Roller Coaster: Space Mountain (New Disneyland version)

This is a pretty good thread. I's looking like I'll be interning at CP this summer, so I was scrounging for some info about what it will be like. How is it when you're not working? Is it hard to have some non-park related fun when you don't have a car?
    I've been real all my life, they confuse it with conceit
    Since I will not lose, they try to help him cheat
    But I will not lose, for even in defeat
    There's a valuable lesson learned, so it evens it up for me
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Universal Studios Hollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Nitro

Activity in CP is broken down into thirds of 168(7X24)
    Work-56 hours (9.33 hours a day over 6 days)
    Sleep- 56 hours (8 hours a day over 7 days)
    Everything else- 56 hours (1 day off- 16hours and 6.66 hours per work day)

When you're off you try to amuse yourself with things in your housing complex. Watch TV, hang out with others, eat, play video games, whatever you can find. But with or without a car, there's not much to do in Sandusky. There's a bar close by, but if you won't be 21 when you go, there's only a limited fun there. The only other place is the mall, but that will make you drop some serious dough. You could go to the park, but since you're already there a third of your time, you usually just want to get away from the place. Take it from me, in 2003 I did not work at CP and rode Dragster 8-10times, then I worked in 2004 and 2005 for 3 months each season and never rode Dragster once.

What makes CP great is that most of your fun is going to actually be at work. Working with your crew and smiling guests and an amusement park atmosphere goes beyond a satisfaction that I can explain.
    '11 Area Supervisor, Merch & Games, Michigan's Adventure '10 Area Supervisor, Games, Michigan's Adventure
    '09 Area Supervisor, Merch, Michigan's Adventure '08 Area Supervisor, Merch, Six Flags Over Texas
    '07 Area Supervisor, Merch, Cedar Point '06 Ride Operator, Batman:TR, SFGAM
    '05 Front Desk, Disney's BoardWalk Inn & Villas, WDW '04 Sales Associate, Merchandise, CP
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebels | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

This also depends on how much you visited CP in the past. My first and most of my second summers I would spend most of my free time in the park doing everything (I was a big fan of the shows too, so that usually ate up a lot of time) My third and last summer I didn't spend as much time in the park, sure it was fun every once in a while, but it get's kinda meh after a while.

You shouldn't have to worry THAT much about a car either since a lot of people do drive and many don't mind giving you rides places ( and if you become good enough friends, some will let you borrow their car)

The stuff to do in Sandusky is up to you, it's like any other small town (CP doesn't even really affect it THAT much aside from traffic. Downtown is gorgeous and the parks they have around the bay are nice too for somewhere to relax. Finding stuff to do shouldn't be hard because your ****f is neevr the same as someone else, so you'll always have different people to do stuff with on you days off and stuff.
    RCFreak
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Disneyland Resort | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Legend | Steel Roller Coaster: Space Mountain (New Disneyland version)

I'll be turning 21 while I'm out there, so I guess a little drinky drink won't hurt too much. I didn't expect too much out there since it is a small town. I'm anticipating for the park to carry me through a portion of the summer for free time fun since I've never been there before, but I just wanted to be assured that it isn't competely dead. I'm pretty much cool if I can play some Madden or Socom online to chil, but escape when "necessary".

I'm just trying to figure out what word could have been starred out there. LOL
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Universal Studios Hollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Nitro

Don't count on online, All you get is dial-up (if you can manage to actually get a line out that is) that you have to get yourself (this is when those AOL disks actually get used)

I would NOT reccomend bringing anything of true value as there were a LOT of thefts last year and the Police and housing seemed like they couldn't have cared less about any of them. It's up to you if you want to actually bring stuff though.
    RCFreak

Yeah. I had like $20 in quarters stolen from my locker last season. They were in a lock box inside a little cubbie in the locker. I didn't have the locker locked, and I only had a small luggage lock on the cubbie.

If you bring anything of value or if you want to store money, use heavy-duty locks. Your best bet would be to get one of those things to cover your door so people can't slip in with their ID or credit card.
    ThrillNetwork editor emeritus - NSCIGC member
    Voyage is the best coaster
    Raptor ride count - 1,160.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, Holiday World, Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Raptor

Ouch! That hurts! Dial Up?! I forgot that even existed. Well, with good is some bad I guess. I have to think if I want to risk bringing my PS2, stereo, laptop, or TV because the police will be after me if someone messes with my stuff. That's just crossing too many lines there. Besides, if I think it's that person and it is, they will get busted. I put my name in some wild places in my belongings, plus I have an engraving pen.

no, no, no the stuff dissapears from Sandusky. Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland are all major cities not far and from where people come from. It could also be locals and you would never have a clue. That's what makes it very frustrating, there's no one place to start looking.
    RCFreak

Yeah I had some really cool roommates last year and I got my PS2 stolen. I stayed in the apartments so I didn't have lockers that year and it got ripped off. It could of been my roommates or possibly someone walked into the room when it was unlocked. I figured I'd risk lossing it because I plan on buying the PS3. I guess I kinda take it back now. You just have to be very careful.
    '11 Area Supervisor, Merch & Games, Michigan's Adventure '10 Area Supervisor, Games, Michigan's Adventure
    '09 Area Supervisor, Merch, Michigan's Adventure '08 Area Supervisor, Merch, Six Flags Over Texas
    '07 Area Supervisor, Merch, Cedar Point '06 Ride Operator, Batman:TR, SFGAM
    '05 Front Desk, Disney's BoardWalk Inn & Villas, WDW '04 Sales Associate, Merchandise, CP
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebels | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Quote Originally Posted by rjholla2003
    Ouch! That hurts! Dial Up?! I forgot that even existed. Well, with good is some bad I guess. I have to think if I want to risk bringing my PS2, stereo, laptop, or TV because the police will be after me if someone messes with my stuff. That's just crossing too many lines there. Besides, if I think it's that person and it is, they will get busted. I put my name in some wild places in my belongings, plus I have an engraving pen.
    Just as a word to the wise: Don't bring any of that. None of it. The police won't be after you. They won't go after anyone.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, Holiday World, Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Raptor

Between work, sleep, laundry, and keeping your room clean, and keeping your roommates crap outta your way, there's not too much time to yourself...

Wow, can you not tell my personality in that sentence? Clean, clean, clean.

...however, if you have a good group to hang out with, you can make anything fun. Don't depend on the SanDOOKEY Mall to keep you entertained. It's ridiculous. Louie's (the bar practically in the commons parking lot) is fun, I imagine, for a legal drinker. I had fun there, but I quickly found out that some CP employees are super-shallow, and that's all they do. I didn't wanna be associated with that.

Whoever said downtown Sandusky is beautiful... right on. I spent SO MANY off days and off-shifts just walking around downtown. It's so relaxing. You can see CP, do a little low-key shopping, and just chill out!

Lemme just tell ya. I'm from Atlanta, drove up to CP to work, and used my car a LOT in my off-time. I drove to Akron, Cleveland (GL), Cincinnatti (PKI), and other places, and loved the freedom. After a morning shift, knowing the next day was my off-day, I decided I was gonna fly back down to ATL to see my family and friends down here. It was a one-day thing; after my welcome, my mom and dad handed me a letter in the mail. It was a notice that my license was suspended for 6 months, 3 of those which would have been at CP.

I was pissed. But out of your group of friends, somebody drives. And most are willing to give you a ride. I had some great friends who hauled me around, and we had a great time.

If anybody has any questions about Guest Services in the park, I think I might can help you out. CP is an awesome place to work. After working there, I think about that crazy place every day of my life. I regularly keep in touch with my crew buddies and roommates today. CP was a journey with which I formed lifelong friends and had the experience of a lifetime. If it weren't for finishing up at Mercer U, I'd go back in a heartbeat.
    Six Flags over Georgia
    G O L I A T H
    Get Hyped !
    Favorites: Amusement Park: tie -- Dollywood, Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead, Dollywood | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick, CP

My only concerns are the theft and the lack of good internet. That's not a good look. Maybe I'll buy a better lock than I have for my laptop and churn out a lot of NL coasters in my stagnant time, lol. I gotta have my laptop since Skype is how my girlfriend and I are planning to keep in touch. The stereo, if it's stolen is kind of a favor. I'm looking for a reason to buy a new one anyway. PS2 and my TV are most likely staying home if that's the case. I really like my TV, and someone touching my PS2 is a fight. The way you guys are describing it out there, I'd expect if from like, Newark. Not Sandusky.

The Electronics Guru
    If someone gets fired, and it happens all the time, they tend to get sticky fingers. When your not there and a roomate that you trust and they know it, they might grab what they want and act suprised.

Usually those who are discrete, don't get caught. Like the saying goes: There is one way 3 people can keep a secret. If 2 of them are dead.

The mindset that you have is common but not justifiable. After all, The R.M.S. Titanic was unsinkable, Pearl Harbor was impenetrable, Iraq has W.M.D. and you can figure out who stole your stuff. At least 90% of the time, the stolen goods are never to be seen again. Hence why security and housing quit caring long ago. Are you an exception? Absolutely not.

Yeah. If I could leave my laptop behind I would. But there's too many things that I'd need it for. It's just always going to be under lock and key, that's all. And I need my music. The stereo's half broken anyway, lol. I'll be upset, but not for too long if that was taken. I'm just in shock that it's that bad. I'd rather be safe than sorry with my valuables. That just sucks. Are there TV's in the room at all, or am I just going to have to be somewhat bored? It's not a big deal since I use my TV for gaming more than watching and the PS2 would not enter a hostile environment like that.

It just is a bit of a downer, that's all. I'd rather know now than learn the hard way though.

I'll sound like a jerk saying this but I've never brought a TV or entertainment system and there's always many at hand. Sure you want to bring yours but whats the point when 3-15 other roomates are gonna bring theres. I say leave your system and bring your games.

My biggest fear was my digital camera getting stolen cause it was expensive and taking pictures is my life outside of work but I just gor a safe from walmart and locked it to the frame of my bed.
    "foolish earthlings, cower before the awesome techno onslaught of nine-hundred-and-nine robots dancing in unison"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick

hahah Wanna know how paranoid I am?

I had a locked metal Safety Deposit box that I locked in the little cubby thing inside the locker (which also had a second lock) never really had to use it though, I was always lucky with my roommates (except for last year, but that was more because they were obnoxious and smelled.)
    RCFreak

Awsome informtaion this thread is pulling out. I'm now going to invest in a huge safe, that I will lug to Cedar Point with me, and Everything that I will be bringing is going to stay in there lol. I see exacaly where everyone here is coming from, why bring anything, when all you have to do is walk out of your front door, and your in the entertainment capital of the world. I can see if you want to just spend time in your room and relax, but is it really worth having your stuff takin and being sold on the black market somewhere in China, for you to never see it again, all because you wanted 20 minutes of entertainment that could have easily been obtained by going out and seeing the sights.

Intimidating Poster! Carowinds 73-03's Avatar
    Quick question. How much is houseing at CP? It didn't say anything on the website and i scanned through this thread and saw nothing.

Thanks.

RCFreak

I'm curious about a couple things. 1. If you are working at the park how many passes do you get for guests? Most of my friends live over 1000 miles from the park, so it probably isn't a big deal, but I was wondering.

2. I noticed that there is a day trip to PKI for 25 dollars, and there is also a trip to Geuaga lake for 25 dollars. Does this include the admission? Also do you get free admission into other Cedar Fair parks? I'm guessing not because the two parks are the same. I was just a little confused why both trips would be the same amount. Thanks in advance for any info.

1. Last season you got a choice of four complimentary tickets for friends or a Challenge Park pass. You get them after working there for 30 days.

2. The cost does include admission. You should get in to Geauga Lake for free. Human Resources also has limited free tickets to PKI, so if you can drive there, you can get in for free.

Chip you seem to be a veteran of CP so I'll ask you a couple questions. (Also I'm ready for another story.) With the Cedar Point Housing, what are the pros and cons on where to stay (male)? Also what do you personally suggest I bring? For the cold days, what kind of sweatshirt can you wear? I will be bringing my car so I can drive to other theme parks (Darien Lake, Chicago) on my days off. They will be long drives, and I will get in a lot of theme parks, so I haven't decided if I really want to do it, but I probably will. Next question, what is a challenge park pass? I will try to look that up on my own, but I haven't heard of it. Finally, you say I should get in to Geauga Lake for free, does that mean on trip day or any day? Would I be able to get in to Michigans Adventure for free, and the other Cedar Fair parks. Thanks for any answers.

Edit-
    Well I just did the online training thing and answered about half of my questions. You can still tell me the pros and cons if you want, and what you advise bringing and where to stay.
    Last edited by connelly; 04-13-2006 at 12:38 AM.

The Challenge park pass is something geared more toward the international students who don't have anyone visiting them (they used to and probably still do sell their free tickets to other employees usually around $10-20 each depending on the person doing the selling and buying) It pretty much let's them do all the attractions (including RipCord) in Challenge Park.

Your Valid Cedar Point ID let's you get into any Cedar Fair owned park (including Geauga Lake, but not including Castaway Bay unless you book a room) for free. You must surrender your pass when you leave or they charge you $99, and it's still not good anywhere.

As for sweatshirts, they sell different types of warming clothes (depending on your department) ranging from $15 for a simple sweatshirt up to $52 for a complete Blue suit.

As for housing I can write a freakin' Novel... There's no real "better place to stay" it's all how you make it out to be. You can have the nicest room in all of CP Housing, but it can still suck because of a dirty and/ or smelly roommate. Break it up into category's first.

First you need to decide if you want to live on point or off point.
    1. On Point is Cedars, the Building is *VERY* old and run down and you can have two-four people per room. It's not as bad as people make it out to be, but it's like summer camp. Pros include walking to work on parking ban days (Days employees will NOT be allowed to enter the toll booths with an employee parking sticker they MUST take a shuttle from off point) Being able to wake up fifteen minutes before a shift and still be on time, and it's over all quite. Cons include no air or heat (if you take this route, I suggest larger box fans or get an air conditioning unit [they have to install it for you, and you pay a little more then the rest of on point]as it's the only building you can get on yourself) and being "far from everyone"
    2. Off point has more living options and is much more social. This is also split into three types of Housing, Commons and Bayside. Bayside is smaller apartments taken up by Castaway employees and supervisors, if you don't know anyone in there already, forget about it. Let's move onto Commons, There are actually two types of living spaces in Commons; The apartments and the Dorms.
      1. The apartments are made of four smaller rooms in each Apartment holding three to four per room. There are two bathrooms in each apartment, but you have to clean them yourselves and it's not always pretty if you have messy roommates. The Apartment DOES have a kitchen including a sink, a stove and a refrigerator. Depending on your roommates, their may also be a TV in the main room (as that's the only cable outlet in each apartment and TVs are NOT provided)
      2. The Dorms on the other hand have four per room (three in some of the girl's rooms) It's pretty much like a small college dorm room, there's a desk and three or four lockers (depending on the building your in) and have a desk. Each dorm room has it's on Cable outlet, but again no TV is provided. There's not much room, but there is much more "privacy" and their is one bathroom per floor (unless you get into the 1500 building, but that's also a high demand building because it has two bathrooms on the floor and is right next to the prison gate...er housing gate...)

Pros for off-point include meeting many more people then on-point, Air conditioning in the Dorms, A small "convince store" open 24 hours a day, newer buildings. Cons include driving to work and finding a parking spot, the apartments have no air outside of the living room, higher cost.

There's much much more, but that's the jist of it. (See? freakin' novel!)

oops sorry, I'm not Chip...
    Last edited by Hector; 04-13-2006 at 04:26 AM.
    RCFreak

Hector + others, thanks for all your insight.

I plan to be working at the Point in 2007.

I have one quick question for those who were ride ops. Do you get trained on 1 ride and thats where you are at for the whole summer? Or do you get trained on different rides?

And, has anyone here been promoted? How easy is it to be promoted?

Thanks.

I do know that you can get cross trained on other rides, but for the promotion part, gotta wait for a responce from the ones who have been there already ;-D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast