Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Winter Olympic Games

2006 Winter Olympic Games

Friday February 10th, the 2006 Winter Olympics begins in Torino, Italy. There was a debate over what to call the town. NBC went with the Italian version of the name; newspapers are going with the English version: Turin. I prefer Torino.

I'll be sure to watch bits and pieces of ice skating, bobsleds/luge, downhill skiing with the shaloms, even curling in the late night. I see how curling is quite big in Canada. It caught my attention when I took a break from watching Conan one night. Ice shuffleboard basically.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

The events that interest me are the snowboard super pipe, bobsled, luge, and skeleton. Go USA, but mostly everyone is picking Germany to win.
    New York Yankees - 2009 WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: S:RoS

Been Here Since the Begining Sir Willow's Avatar
    It's funny, I've always found a lot more fun and interesting events to watch at the winter olympics than I did at the summer olympics- even though summer has far more events and athletes. Can't wait for them to start. Ice skating, luge, bobsled, hockey, curling, ski jumping, downhill, speedskating- and I know that there are some I'm missing.

Best part is, our new digital video recorder and digital cable are getting hooked up and turned on Friday morning, just in time for the opening ceremonies that night. Going to be great since otherwise we'd miss the first hour or two of the ceremonies.
    Have you read my number 1 best seller? There will be a test! ~God
    Life with God is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
    My park & coaster photos: Sir Willow's Smugmug pictures
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, Bonfante Gardens, Holiday World, SFGrAm, Legoland and Disneyland | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix,Thunderhead- Dollywood, NM Rattler, Raven & Legend- HW, Viper- SFGrAm, Giant Dipper-SCBB | Steel Roller Coaster: X!!, Goliath, Talon, Millenium Force, Montu, Kumba, others

Intimidating Poster! Carowinds 73-03's Avatar
    I'm looking foward to the Olympics. It's the only time of the year i watch more than 3 hours of TV a day.

I have my DVR already set to record everything. I do enjoy some events better than others but don't mind watching it all.

Suspended Poster
    I too enjoy the winter games more than the summer.....can't really explain why though. These olympics are somewhat special to me as they are in Italy (my family's country of origin) and with the next being in Vancouver (i'm first generation Canadian) it'll be fun. I really can't wait for 2010 so that I can experience it first hand in my own country.

My events of interest are bobsled, skeleton and speed skating.

Yeah, shes awesome...JUST DEAL slipknot8527's Avatar
    Nothing beats luge and bobsledding to me.

And yes, the winter games>summer games anyday.
    HANNAH MONTANA!!!!!!!!!
    TAKING THE WORLD BY STORM!!!!!
    "I'm living proof....THAT GIRLS CAN ROCK!!!!!!"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Great American Scream Machine | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

I always love the winter games more than the summer ones.

Speedskating, Bobsledding, Figure Skating and luge are my favorites.

Chris your DVR is going to explode. lol
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

The shots of skiers flying by the markers on the course always amazed me. Let's get a Bobsled or Luge POV. hehe.
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

I am a total Olympics junkie. I've already stocked up on VHS tapes! Don't have a DVR yet, but that's one of my first purchases after I get settled in SC.
    We are strong and brave and innocent and unafraid
    Through all this sadness, We are the Hokies
    We will prevail, We are Virginia Tech
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Grizzly | Steel Roller Coaster: Apollo's Chariot

^^ A friend of mine actually got to ride in a bobsled one time. He said it is awesome.

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

I use to feel differently. I use to love the summer olympics and i would hardly watch the winter. I just got into the winter olympics in Utah when i saw my first winter olympics live. Now i'm hooked on both but i still like the summer more.

I'm a snowboarder, so I like winter much better.

Yeah, shes awesome...JUST DEAL slipknot8527's Avatar
    I love the speed skating that that apollo guy was in. Not the one where they switch lanes on the back stretch, but the little tight oval racing wheres theres like 6 guys.
    HANNAH MONTANA!!!!!!!!!
    TAKING THE WORLD BY STORM!!!!!
    "I'm living proof....THAT GIRLS CAN ROCK!!!!!!"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Great American Scream Machine | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

Suspended Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bgwfreak
    ^^ A friend of mine actually got to ride in a bobsled one time. He said it is awesome.
    I think that you have the opportunity to do this at the Lake Placid course....but i'm not 100% certain.

Found this after I made my post...you can in fact do the run:

http://www.adirondacks.com/bobsled.html

Quote Originally Posted by slipknot8527
    I love the speed skating that that apollo guy was in. Not the one where they switch lanes on the back stretch, but the little tight oval racing wheres theres like 6 guys.
    Short Track always reminds me of Roller Derby for some reason. lol

rawr!
    I can't wait for the hockey to start!

Q
    Favorites: | Wooden Roller Coaster: I have yet to ride a decent woodie :( | Steel Roller Coaster: Dueling Dragons: Ice

I hope these Olympics are good, Im in it for the snowboarding and skiing, which I could just see on the Winter X-Games and could be better, but ill just do both. U.S.A.!!!
    I'm in love with 30 Rock, Outkast and Maverick.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands Of Adventure

Snowmobiling is just a Winter X Games thing, not an Olympic event?

The cool thing about the time difference is that we already are getting a preview of what we will see tonight on tv in the US. I however will miss most of the Opening Ceremonies for my show.

Anybody see the opening? HOLY CRAP, they just keep getting better and better!!!! Italy knows how to make a show. For two hours I was sitting there with my jaw dropped, it was incredible. The dove acrobats, the singer, the dancers, every single detail of every actor and dancer was accurate and amazing. If you missed this thing, you better have been in jail, or dead, because it was the show of a lifetime.

GO CANADA!!!!

Italy is cool to..... good pizza.
    An eye for an eye, then before you know it, the whole world is blind -Ghandi
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Tampa | Wooden Roller Coaster: Gwazi | Steel Roller Coaster: Mindbender

Been Here Since the Begining Sir Willow's Avatar
    Gotta love Canada. Here in the States we have to wait until prime time before we can see the opening ceremonies. grrrrr
    Have you read my number 1 best seller? There will be a test! ~God
    Life with God is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
    My park & coaster photos: Sir Willow's Smugmug pictures
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, Bonfante Gardens, Holiday World, SFGrAm, Legoland and Disneyland | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix,Thunderhead- Dollywood, NM Rattler, Raven & Legend- HW, Viper- SFGrAm, Giant Dipper-SCBB | Steel Roller Coaster: X!!, Goliath, Talon, Millenium Force, Montu, Kumba, others

You could write a lot of stuff in this little deal. It's cool.
    I'm just excited to see the hockey be played.
    iPhone
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Hades | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

Speed Skating, Ice Hockey and Bobsleds are the events I'm looking forward to. Down here, they show the opening ceremony at prime time also.

The opening was amazing, the past two hours I have just been thinking of it, all the fireworks and actors, and a race car, it was incredible
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Tampa | Wooden Roller Coaster: Gwazi | Steel Roller Coaster: Mindbender

I agree the opening was great but the rest has just been really blah. Not nearly one of the best i have seen. I still think Atlanta's opening ceremonies was the best i have ever seen.

I was impressed by the "animated" ski jumper and the Ferrari doing donuts! The lighting of the cauldron was unique and Pavarotti at the end was the icing on the cake.

Well done Torino.
    We are strong and brave and innocent and unafraid
    Through all this sadness, We are the Hokies
    We will prevail, We are Virginia Tech
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Grizzly | Steel Roller Coaster: Apollo's Chariot

meh, Overall it kinda sucked, I liked SLC's more. There were a few highlights, like the opening (I Fire) the skier, the lighting of the rings, The lighting of the torch (I thought that was the collest part) and the closing fireworks (the spiraling shells they had going around the entire stadium was pretty cool). The music choice for the parade of Nations was very queer, and overall it seemed like an American lite ceremony.

Meh.
    RCFreak
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Disneyland Resort | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Legend | Steel Roller Coaster: Space Mountain (New Disneyland version)

LOL, i agree. I was also trying to figure out why they were playing 60'2 & 70's American Pop. It was very weird.

I feel asleep before the lightnng of the torch (Thats how boaring it was)but i was recording it so i'll watch that part later.

Like some others here, I'm watching for the hockey. Hopefully we can take home a medal (knock on wood).

My favorite events are Bobsleding, Speed skateing & all the sking events.

I like Hockey, Bobsled and Luge, Ski Jump, Ski Slalom, Half Pipe, and I like the speed skating ever since the Australian won because all of the skaters fell down and couldnt get up and he sped by them on the last lap, funniest event that Olympics.

GO CANADA!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast