Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Knoebels to receive Flying Turns!!!!

Hybrid View

Knoebels to receive Flying Turns!!!!

It is official! http://www.knoebels.com/update.htm I can't wait! This is gonna be the first one since the 1930's. Knoebel's is getting another notch in their post for the best wooden coasters.

I can't believe it! They are really doing it! I heard rumor of it, but thought it would be a couple of years at least. That is incredible. I wish we could see plans or something. The site doesn't give much away. So I guess since they have broken ground it will be open for the 06 season? They are starting aweful late. I love Knoebel's!
    Last edited by Zingoman; 02-14-2006 at 12:36 AM.
    I like the Zingo a lot.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Magic Mountain | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum (with no trims), and Phantom's Revenge

If you go to www.rcdb.com and do a search for "flying turns" you can find several examples of past flying turns coasters, and I think one or 2 have photos. From what I understand, Knoebels is trying to build one that is true to the old design.
    cheers

-p

http://www.myspace.com/pschroeder
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

I saw some pictures. It still looks pretty vague.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Well, I know what the old flying turns are like. I want to see what Knoebel's is going to look like. It will obviously have to be a bit different because I think the safety standards were a bit different back then. I want to see what they have done to bring this into the modern era. The old ones looked wicked. Does anyone know who designed it for them? What company will be giving them the rolling stock, or will it be inhouse work? We dont' have very much information yet, but I'm realy looking forward to it.

P.S. rcdb has like two pictures, and they show almost nothing. Google it, or look into some books about coaster history. I have some with terrific photos of some old Flying Turns.
    Last edited by Zingoman; 02-14-2006 at 12:37 AM.
    I like the Zingo a lot.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Magic Mountain | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum (with no trims), and Phantom's Revenge

From what I have read so far.... it is going to be an in-house construction project. I imagine they will contract out stuff like design and car assembly. who knows? I hope they can get it up for this summer, I would like to go there and try it out........
    cheers

-p

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

AWSOME!
    I always wanted parks to bring back some of the lost coasters!
    NEXT, somone needs to bring back the virginia reel!
    http://ultimateparkreview.blogspot.com/
    My park review blog.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage - Holiday world | Steel Roller Coaster: Top Gun Carowinds

Do a google image search for Flying Turns....plenty-o-pics!
    See You On The Rails!
    Favorites: | Wooden Roller Coaster: Dania Beach Hurricane | Steel Roller Coaster: Kraken

Here is a bit of info. Apparently they are designing it after the Flying Turns at Riverview Park. http://www.riverviewparkchicago.com/generic24.html
    The book The American Roller Coaster says this one was the smallest one ever built. Too bad they are not building it like the Bobsled from Lake Placid in New Jersey. THAT one looked crazy!
    Last edited by Zingoman; 02-14-2006 at 12:39 AM.
    I like the Zingo a lot.

Yeah it would have to be sort of small for the area they are supposedly putting it in. But that one still looks really fun.

A wooden bobsled then. Let's get some rollerskates on too.
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Teh Band
    We've only known this since PPP back in October.

I'm the good looking one Steven's Avatar
    ...and everyone on this site goes to PPP. I have yet to go to a PPP because of work or other commitments.

Seriously, you need to get off your high horse and quit being an ass and ruining a good discussion. If you can't handle that, there is a simple solution... don't post.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

^^Amen brother!! Roller skating would be pimp on this bad boy. I think it will be cool not having the little check points throughout the ride like the Intamin rides where you straighten out and hit the little speed adjusting tires. That always ruin the ride's pace for me.
    I like the Zingo a lot.

Teh Band
    Ok, I'll get off my high horse and give it to you so you can have two. Well anyway, I didn't go to PPP, but it was common knowledge on the internet that this was happening.

This is going to be a really cool project to watch. I'm glad they are restoring a classic coaster instead of just building a new one. This shows the parks real goals...
    I just really hope that you think of me, because I'm tryna be unforgettable...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point -- Islands Of Adventure -- Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200 & Phantom's Revenge

Well some people knew it was happening. I was aware it was in the works, but not everyone knew which one it was being modeled after. You can't say we should have known when, well, we didn't. I bet you can find MILLIONS of people who use the internet everyday and still don't know this is happening. Thanks for getting off your horse and climbing back on to it in the same post though. That must have been a real work out!
    Last edited by Zingoman; 02-13-2006 at 07:47 PM.
    I like the Zingo a lot.

Teh Band
    How can I get back on to the horse, when I gave it away?

Anyway, It really hasn't said anything about the layout.

Well Knoebels said they wanted to put one in during PPP but they said it wasn't a done deal. They were waiting to see if the cars could be built up to modern standards.

BTW, nice SG, I'm assuming it yours, Epiphone or Gibson?

I think this is so weird. a flying turns coaster!?!! I wonder if they will be a bitdifferent fromt he others, becasue dont you think it would be hard to maintain it if it runs on the wood? (or does it run on metal plates lilke a woodie? look slike just wood to me) This is so awsome! It makes me want more old coasters!
    it's simple
    Favorites: Amusement Park: "too many to mention" | Steel Roller Coaster: Big ones and classic ones

Corkscrew Poster
    this has been on the website for a while now.
    old news BUT GOOD NEWS and I can't wait
    Knoebels rocks

^well the thread has been here a few days too so :-P
    I don't see why people are pointing out how long we are supposed to have known. I didn't see any other threads started, so I guess if we don't start one within a day or two of the news coming out, then we should not start one at all? Because then we are razzed about not hearing before hand. This is apparently news to several people that this project started or even existed, so why point out how long you may have known about it? You are poo pooing our parade. Be gone ye wretched nay saying scoundrels!

P.S. YAY for flying turns!
    Last edited by Zingoman; 02-14-2006 at 01:27 AM.
    I like the Zingo a lot.

Honestly, with the exception of a mention of the new coaster on RCDB's Knoebels' page, I hadn't heard anything about the new coaster anywhere else. Some people just like to cause a stir.

I agree, Zingoman. YAY for flying turns! Nice to see something unique being built!
    cheers

-p

Corkscrew Poster
    I heard this 4 months ago
    http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/...ad.php?t=36466
    I'm not trying to stir anything just making you aware I'm surprised the thread didn't keep going.
    the pictures you see on Knoebels website are from Jan 20th more then 3 weeks ago.
    I can't wait it's been more then 7 years since they had a new coaster
    I'm only 2 hours away and will be there to ride it can't wait it's been more then 70 years since the original was running.

Piece
    Last edited by pcman; 02-14-2006 at 02:06 AM.

Has it been 7 years since Twister?? No way! I am getting old way too fast!! I was in H.S. when that ride opened. That is amazing. Is the ride going in place of Wirlwind? Where exactly is it being built?
    I like the Zingo a lot.

From what I read, it is being installed where Whirlwind was.
    cheers

-p

Teh Band
    No new news on the ride. We won't know till it is up.

Yes it is mine it is a Gibson SG Standard.

I was just reading about this in ACE News and it really sound exciting.

I still haven't been to Knoebels yet and want to soon.

I just wonder if they will have the laminate wood like the old ones or how it will work.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Mem**r of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

An ACEr I knew gave me his newsletter and it had the same effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by bgwfreak
    I was just reading about this in ACE News and it really sound exciting.
    It felt even more exciting sharing the news with a lady I talk about Knoebel's with. The excitement feels real and is spreading.

I don't know if any of you guys seen this...

http://www.flyingturnsproject.com/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast