Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Knoebels to receive Flying Turns!!!!

An ACEr I knew gave me his newsletter and it had the same effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by bgwfreak
    I was just reading about this in ACE News and it really sound exciting.
    It felt even more exciting sharing the news with a lady I talk about Knoebel's with. The excitement feels real and is spreading.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Quote Originally Posted by Rider711
    I don't know if any of you guys seen this...

http://www.flyingturnsproject.com/
    That's very cool, webcams and everything. Not much happening at the moment, but still informative. Steve Okamoto is involved doing the train design! I'm loco for Okamoto. It also looks like the crazy Looper flat ride is still there, which is great. I was afraid the Flying Turns would bump it out.
    "Yeah, that's what I want in a roller coaster. Seniority." - Dennis Miller, referring to Leap The Dips
    Favorites: | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: S:RoS at SFNE

^If you look at Knoebel's ride list, you will notice that at least according to TN, the park has only two defunct rides in it's entire history, and both are coasters. I don't know if that is true, but it is quite astonishing. They have a HUGE flat collection, and I think something as vintage and unique as the Looper is quite safe at this park.
    I like the Zingo a lot.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Magic Mountain | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum (with no trims), and Phantom's Revenge

Knoebles = One of the best older style parks on earth.
    Flying Turns = One of the most historical Ride types on earth.

Knoebles + Flying Turns = Nostalgiac Heaven. This is gonna be good.
    An Enemy Is Just A Friend Who's Trying To Kill You.
    Mobius-X.com
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Skyliner at Lakemont Park | Steel Roller Coaster: Montu at Busch Gardens Tampa

Inverted Tophat Poster coasterdude28's Avatar
    It looks really good. I can't wait to see this take shape and come together.
    Batman and Robin: The Chiller
    1997 - 2007
    Favorites: Amusement Park: safadsg

I cant wait to see how they re-design the cars and trains to todays safety standards

Banned
    Looks bumpy.

Wow, this thing really is in house. Looks like a bunch of random people coming to help build a project type thing, not a coaster!
    I just really hope that you think of me, because I'm tryna be unforgettable...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point -- Islands Of Adventure -- Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200 & Phantom's Revenge

this looks so awsome, I really want to ride one of these!
    it's simple
    Favorites: Amusement Park: "too many to mention" | Steel Roller Coaster: Big ones and classic ones

Upsidedown Rider Johnny Upsidedown's Avatar
    Wow I wish I could do some photos of the construction. The curves in the wood sections make for some interesting views.
    This will be an interesting project to watch get built because of its uniqueness.
    Johnny Upsidedown's Roller Coaster Website
    www.Johnnyupsidedown.com
    Stop by and take a look at lots of coaster photos, construction and trip reports.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Tampa | Wooden Roller Coaster: Kentucky Rumbler | Steel Roller Coaster: MF, Montu

Yeah those pictures really do look cool. I wonder how long it will take to put this beauty together?
    cheers

-p

http://www.myspace.com/pschroeder
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

The idea seems awsome.
    BTW
    Has anyone else noticed the fact that it seems to not have much heigth to it? Are just starting with the low parts of the ride first or this this thing gonna be really low to the ground?
    http://ultimateparkreview.blogspot.com/
    My park review blog.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage - Holiday world | Steel Roller Coaster: Top Gun Carowinds

The ride is going to be 50' tall.
    They're probably building sections on the ground then lifting them into place

It says on the ride's progress and history reports that they are building low first because they need to get their strategy, and technique down before they try experimental building procedures 50 feet up.
    I like the Zingo a lot.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Magic Mountain | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum (with no trims), and Phantom's Revenge

James
    I cant wait to ride this later this year ! Or maybe next year if its not done for 06.

Updates on the site. There is now a logo and a layout picture. http://www.knoebels.com/update.htm
    1997 - 2007

The layout looks actually a bit better than I expected from looking at the ride it is based from. How cool is that?! I like the logo a lot too. It's very vintage looking.
    I like the Zingo a lot.

Wooden Poster
    Inside the doughnut in Rock n Rollercoaster.
    Very cool logo, I'm psyched!
    URC OUTCAST

VISIT GIG'S GADGET REVIEW IN THE MEDIA DISCUSSION.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Sixflags america | Wooden Roller Coaster: the roar | Steel Roller Coaster: Rock'n rollercoaster

anyone else having trouble viewing the time lapse video's on http://flyingturnsproject.com ? Oh well, either way, consrtruction is going well, you can actually see the 2nd to last turn completed (the bottom right side of the ride). It looks like it's probably going to upen up befored this year is over.
    Mobius-X.com
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Skyliner at Lakemont Park | Steel Roller Coaster: Montu at Busch Gardens Tampa

Corkscrew Poster
    It will be open this year.
    It's not a big ride.
    FIRST DROP magazine had a good article on it

The video plays, but is just a black screen.
    1997 - 2007

sux. they gotta get someone to fix that...
    Mobius-X.com

I wonder how the ride will be winterized. I wish the park luck in its completion and maintenance of this coaster to come. If I keep rolling at my pace to 200 for this year this may be a candidate for #200. This or Leap the Dips.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Upsidedown Rider Johnny Upsidedown's Avatar
    Anybody been by the park lately. I was wondering how construction was going. I see one of the webcams shows they still have a long way to go if that is current. I wish the park would add a few new photos of construction.. I will be stopping by the park in a couple weeks to take a look and catch a few rides on Twister.
    J.
    Johnny Upsidedown's Roller Coaster Website
    www.Johnnyupsidedown.com
    Stop by and take a look at lots of coaster photos, construction and trip reports.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Tampa | Wooden Roller Coaster: Kentucky Rumbler | Steel Roller Coaster: MF, Montu

Jr. Poster

Smile

I can't wait til' this is done! hey anyone know why on there webcam page it only shows one webcam?? the other one is black! and also I think they need to update there site with new pictures and lets us know how the progress is doing! anyone got more info let me know can't wait til' its done.

So it's just a wooden bobsled coaster? Why is it better than a steel one by Mack or Intamin?

Considering that noone on these boards ever rode one that is wooden, it's a safe bet to say that noone knows how it will ride.

It looks like it would be much smoother, but you can't tell from pictures and concept art.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Mem**r of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

New Mexico Rattler Poster BryanWood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry S
    So it's just a wooden bobsled coaster? Why is it better than a steel one by Mack or Intamin?
    It's taken from blueprints of old-school style Flying Turns ride. They were regarded as scary because they always felt like they were going to fly off the track. I never get that feeling on any steel one.
    Bryan Wood
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebel's, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage, Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath-SFoG, Phantom's Revenge

^^Well, I've been on Avalanche at PKD, and I didn't find that rough.

^I guess I can imagine that with the wood it could go much faster. The steel ones have tiny little rails that cause friction, and the wood could be smoother I guess.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast