Thread: Topple Tower for Marineland

Topple Tower for Marineland

http://www.hussrides.com/78AboutThrill.htm
    It's been confirmed by HUSS that MarineLand will be installing a Topple Tower.

This is some great news, it looks like Marineland is finally starting to add new rides. I just hope this keeps up and that maybe they one day finish their older ride (Sky Screamer, Dragon Mountain) and get a new coaster. God knows they have more than enough room for a new coaster.

^This is great news, but keep in mind that this park is not supposed to be a thrill park primarily. The main attractions are the animals. Hence "Marineland", not Six Flags, or Cedar Point. I could say that Silver Dollar City needs bigger rides, but I consider the fact that they have the ones they have to be sort of an added bonus because it's not really the rides that make that park. What do you mean by finish Dragon Mountain, and Sky Screamer though?
    I like the Zingo a lot.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Magic Mountain | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum (with no trims), and Phantom's Revenge

When I was at Marineland last year SkyScreamer was open but nowhere near finished. The plaza around the ride is nothing but gravel waiting to be paved, and the station area still has a lot of work to be done on it.

As for Dragon Mountain, the ride was never finished. The only part of the theming that was finished was the station cave. The helix is supposed to be inside a volcano, but is just in steel casing (Here's what it looks like). The tunnel after the volcano is supposed to lead out to behind a waterfall, where the train comes crashing through the side. All that's there is a bunch of scaffolding.
    (to make it a little easier to understand, it's supposed to be like:
    helix inside volacno, tunnel, waterfall.
    but really its:
    helix inside steel structure, tunnel, scaffolding)
    I actually e-mailed the park awhile ago about it and they sent me an original park brochure with the original artists renderings of the ride.
    Last edited by Ryan F; 02-13-2006 at 10:50 AM.

What did the park tell you about the unfinished theming?

Theming costs a lot of money. As much as I would like them to finish theming Dragon Mountain, I would love even moreso to see a new coaster there.

As for Sky Screamer.... I was there last Labour Day and the plaza was almost finished. That is one long walk up the hill though to get there. I hope they put the Topple Tower up there....would add to the experience, not to mention give you a reason to stay up on the hill.
    cheers

-p

http://www.myspace.com/pschroeder
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

The park didnt really tell me anything about the unfinished theming. I just asked what the ride is supposed to look like, they replied asking for my address and sent me the brouchre in the mail. Although, I could imagine them answering the question if it were to be asked. Their PR seems to be very good like that.

I doubt that the Topple Tower would be up on the hill though, it just didnt seem like enough room up there. I could see them building a bathroom and maybe a shop/food stand up there though.

Hopefully once the aquarium is complete we'll see a new coaster sometime down the road.
    Last edited by Ryan F; 02-13-2006 at 11:23 AM.

I thought that helix had a weird structure. It makes perfect sense now. You would think after 22 years, that the themeing would have been finished though! lol. at least the ride was finished. It would be very cool to see it completed some day. Now if building a new aquarium for $160 million can be done at this place, I would say that Dragon Mountain's completion is a lack of priority, and not necessarily out of the budget. Surely they planned on spending the money at some point since it was designed, and some frame work was done on it. I wonder what really stopped it from finishing.
    I like the Zingo a lot.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Magic Mountain | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum (with no trims), and Phantom's Revenge

I wouldn't get too overly excited about this ride.

From what I've seen on videos the fall is not a free fall and you rotate very slowly.

So it doesn't seem that exciting, unless they somehow change the Dollywood one, but I highly doubt that.

It basically looks like a family ride, not a thrill ride.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

^^It would be nice to see DM complete one day because the waterfall would work well the rumoured river boat ride from awhile back. Just think of the waterfall leading into the river, your boat could be like a mini Maid of the mist. Imagine your boat going up the river towards Dragon Falls (I'm just making that name up), feel the mist on your face, see dragon (train) come crashing out the side of the falls, and hear the screams of the riders mixed with the roar of the falls in front of you. That would be an awesome ride.

But, I also agree that they should finish the aquarium first too. Last time I was there ground was already broken with tons of machinery on site.

It doesnt matter to me whether it's a family or a thrill ride, it's the fact that they're actually putting in a new ride. Before Sky Screamer it had been years for Marineland to put a new ride into the park. I really hope this a start to a turn around. A park of that size with a huge aquarium and good line up of rides for families and thrillseekers, would be a great distination for people visiting the Niagra Falls area.
    Plus, the ride still looks kinda fun.
    Last edited by Ryan F; 02-13-2006 at 01:30 PM.

^^ actually, they have been installing rides. The kids area was receiving a package of several rides when I was there last Labour Day. Also, they received a spinning teacup ride a few years back.

In addition to the rides, they spent a lot of $$ on Arctic Cove ( beluga whale habitat) and Friendship Cove (killer whale habitat). Marineland has been spending a lot of money to improve the park.....just not all on rides.

For those looking for more thrills......keep in mind that the Great Canadian Midway on Clifton Hill is in the process of installing thrill rides, including 2 coasters.
    cheers

-p

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

The Great Canadian Midway is installing coasters?! Thats suprising! I can't see them being too big though.

I don't think that Dragon Mountains scenery/theming will ever be 100% complete. They seem satisfied with the way the ride is in its present state. They have their minds set on more breathhtaking family like attractions (although if its scenery/theming was ever completed the ride would be outstanding!)

The topple tower will be a great addition to Marineland! Now all we need is to get one @ PCW. HaHa!
    You were born an original, Don't die a copy...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: PARAMOUNT CANADAS WONDERLAND!!! | Wooden Roller Coaster: Mighty Canadian Minebuster | Steel Roller Coaster: Italian Job: Stunt Track

^^ the block next to the GCM on Clifton Hill has been razed and is being built on. I forget the exact number of rides, but I seem to recall 20 was what was being planned on, including two coasters. I am interested to find out what they plan on building.
    cheers

-p