Thread: SOB Downtime?

Jr. Poster

SOB Downtime?

I know most people who frequent PKI have a grudge against Son of Beast. Regardless, I have to ride it at some point in my life. Anyways, I'm planning a trip to PKI (I live near PCW)... I've heard a lot of people say that SOB has a lot of downtime problems... if so, how long should I plan to stay in Mason, Ohio?

Unless you want the credit that bad...

I mean in all honesty it's more fun just to act like you rode it instead of doing it...

Well I just don't prefer to submit myself to the torture of riding it because it causes me pain, but I can understand why other people do like it. I'm not going to sit here and bum on it, I mean just looking at it from Oriental Express or from Dropzone...it really does look beutiful.

It was a great ride during its debut season, but I understand it's gotten pretty bad. I know PKI is doing their own rehab on the ride and has been for the past two off-seasons, but it is progressing a little slowly from what info I've been able to get. I wanted to ride it when I was there this past October, but I think they already had it down to get a jump on the off-season rehab.
    Point Xtreme: Your Xtreme Guide to America's Roller Coast!

8 bits and Goomba-stomping fun is all you need for a fun afternoon. Forget shooting and thousands of polygons, I want bits and funny sounds.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, America's Rockin' Roller Coast! | Wooden Roller Coaster: Blue Streak | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Jr. Poster
    Yeah, I think that was for Fearfest. At any rate, if SOB is closed, I can at least go on The Beast, but regardless, I'd still be pretty damn disappointed. (of course, I'll lie, and tell my friends I went on SOB anyways)

I actually loved SOB when I went on it. When I went though, it was a 5 minute wait and we just kept re-riding.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Kingda Ka/Top Thrill Dragster

Minetrain Poster
    When I rode it in 2003 I thought that it felt bumpy but I just thought, it's a wooden coaster, there is bound to be some jerks and bumps in it. And considering that it was the tallest and fastest in the world, that gave me even more reason to believe it to be normal. But upon riding it last summer, I was surprised to find it horribly painful. You couldn't even bare to keep your body from being hurt. My friends were screaming half way through to let them off, I was rather amused, but anyways...

It also shut down right after we got off it. They stopped the next train about half way up the lifthill and unloaded everyone off the train and it didn't reopen the rest of the day. I don't know what occurred but it made me laugh that my friends got minorly hurt.

And it is bumpy to professionals too, Werner Stengel even said that it was the one project out of all of the ones that he had worked on that he wished he would have had more time to work out the kinks.

Yeah, shes awesome...JUST DEAL slipknot8527's Avatar
    Jeez, all this ride needs is new trains. That is it....the course itself is not rough, it's just those damn trains.
    HANNAH MONTANA!!!!!!!!!
    TAKING THE WORLD BY STORM!!!!!
    "I'm living proof....THAT GIRLS CAN ROCK!!!!!!"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Great American Scream Machine | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

Quote Originally Posted by SFKK GUY
    Unless you want the credit that bad...

I mean just looking at it from Oriental Express or from Dropzone...it really does look beutiful.
    I think you mean Adventure Express.
    "Ok, fat ***, we've just traveled 2,460 miles just for a little Roy Wally entertainment. The moose says you're closed. I say you're open!"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Mystery Mine

Been Here Since the Begining Sir Willow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknot8527
    Jeez, all this ride needs is new trains. That is it....the course itself is not rough, it's just those damn trains.
    I'd have to disagree, since there are actually a couple of spots where it's almost smooth. But there are many where it's jackhammering or vibrating, sometimes one and sometimes both. That's not the trains solely. It's also the track, structure, and other parts. With the huge height and the forces that it generates as it travels through the course, it puts huge strain, wear, and tear on the track and essentially tears the track up as it goes along. Changing the trains isn't going to change that.
    Have you read my number 1 best seller? There will be a test! ~God
    Life with God is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
    My park & coaster photos: Sir Willow's Smugmug pictures
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, Bonfante Gardens, Holiday World, SFGrAm, Legoland and Disneyland | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix,Thunderhead- Dollywood, NM Rattler, Raven & Legend- HW, Viper- SFGrAm, Giant Dipper-SCBB | Steel Roller Coaster: X!!, Goliath, Talon, Millenium Force, Montu, Kumba, others

Yeah, shes awesome...JUST DEAL slipknot8527's Avatar
    Yes, but changing the trains to accomodate more leg room and or seat room would make the rider more comftorable. The only discomfort I had was when it "jacknived" my knee would hit the bar in front of me over and over.
    HANNAH MONTANA!!!!!!!!!
    TAKING THE WORLD BY STORM!!!!!
    "I'm living proof....THAT GIRLS CAN ROCK!!!!!!"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Great American Scream Machine | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

sob doesnt have alot of down time.all the times i been there it was running.but SOB is really rough.i quit riding it cause it hurts so bad it knocks the wind out of you or hurts your back for days.its good to ride for 1st time riders but we all have different says on stuff but a first time rider would have to ride it to say what they really think about it.

SOB didn't have much if any down time the past 2 times I've been up there.

It's just a piece of crap. Don't worry about riding it.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

I am your substitute god willski2002's Avatar
    It's really not a bad ride, it just is broing and doesn't do much.

The only decent parts are:

First drop
    Second drop
    Loop
    Hill between helixes

Everything else is boring/rough, as are the first two drops. The ride will always be a mess, but newer, larger, and more comfortable trains (such as Intamin pre-fab woodie trains that have poly-u running wheels) would make it wayyyy better.
    Quote Originally Posted by PCW Maniac
    What I'm posting is saying how brave I am and that I don't care about rules! If I lose my camera while making a POV, at least I'll lose it for something.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Raven/Legend | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

I agree. If they could get some new trains then it would probably improve it a lot.

It's just so weird how it lumbers (sp?) down the track. It doesn't roll, it like jumps along.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Minetrain Poster
    I rode Son Of Beast for the first time back in August of 2005 expecting the very worst based on comments I read here and elsewhere.

I will admit that it was a rough ride. It did this jackhammer thing where you felt like the track had speed bumps on it over and over. That being said though, it did not hurt me and I rather enjoyed it, although it was no where near by top 20.

I have found that you have to choose a middle seat that is not over a wheel. This really helps with the roughness. Each section of the train is made up of 3 seats. Always choose a middle one. It helps. You also have to hold yourself pretty loose and not tighten up too much, and this helps as well.

So while it is rougher than it should be, I did not find it to be the horrible experience that others on here do!

(By the way, Maureen at PKI told us at the Winter Soar last weekend that SOB would NOT be operating when the park opens on April 14th. She mentioned something about it still being rehabbed. She did not say when it would open for the season, but did assure us that it would.)

Looping Poster
    Actually, I often ride SOB and enjoy this coaster. I always go for 1:2 or 6:2. They are the best seats. Also, the train 2 is smoother than others. Don't ask me why. I do not know. Train 2 has much less "jackhammering" effect.

I agree that they can use a new PTC train but the loop will cause some problems. The clearance will be to tight and probably will damage the train.
    Wood #1 El Toro, #2 Voyage, #3 Renegade, #4 T-Express, #5 Boulder Dash.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Bizarro

I rode SOB back a few years ago, maybe the 1st or 2nd year of operation, I honestly don't remember. In any event, I didn't find it that horribly rough at all, I rode in the front and although it was pretty shaky I was not at all hurt. I found the first huge helix after the first drop to be amazing, it was just so gigantic and fast, although it was a bit rough I thought it was insane and actually fun.

Apparently its rougher now though. I didn't think SOB had bad downtime problems myself...

The Electronics Guru
    I personally don't like PTC trains because of the lapbar and the center divider. The lapbars arn't bad untill lateral g's shove me into it's curve.

Minetrain Poster
    SOB does not have a lot of downtime and usually operates at capasity. They closed it early last year due to it becommng rough and to make some major structural changes.

I have ridden it a few times where it hurt me and that was all first season after they reopened it from opening night. Since then, It's never hurt me and I have ridden it as much as 22 times straight and 35 times in one day for a travel channel shoot. You used to get some thigh bruising from the lapbars but that went away with the padding that was added.

Rumor has it that they are shortening the trains by one car for this season.

Chuck

I think you mean Adventure Express.
    thanks. I just prefer The original far more then his son.

Hey I got a great idea they could just get B&M wooden trains.
    ^Sarcasm.

Jr. Poster
    A lot of people say that SOB is rough primarily because of the uncomfortable trains. My question is... would a regular 5'10, and 140-160 pounds person feel no pain on SOB, as opposed to a 6'2, 250 pound bald guy? (As a rides lead, the biggest guest I've had was a guy who wanted to go on The Bat [PCW] who was around 6'6 and at least 230 pounds)

Wooden Poster
    I've been at Kings Island in 2003 and I had no trouble at all riding SOB.
    I had a lot of fun too.

I really want to ride SOB. I moved from ohio right before the park opened, and never got to ride it. I have heard its brutally rough, and boring, but I still want to ride it. Is it really that rough or was it just not what you were expecting?

I don't get to PKI enough to judge the ride's reliability, but I think it is pretty decent.

As for the roughness, just don't rideover a wheel. Sit in the second row of any car on the train. The trains do have a tendency to jackhammer a bit, but if you are sitting in a middle row, the car absorbs a lot of it rather than sending it striaght up your spine over a wheel seat. Another thing the trains do is shuffle from side to side, almost violently. I only sat in middle rows when I rode the ride, but watching the cars in front of me jerk back and forth was almost disturbing. I loved the ride however, and found it to be quite bearable. I think the smaller you are, the less problems you wil have. Just don't sit on a wheel. I can't stress that enough if you have problems with really rough rides.
    I like the Zingo a lot.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Magic Mountain | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum (with no trims), and Phantom's Revenge

Been Here Since the Begining Sir Willow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Stoppable
    A lot of people say that SOB is rough primarily because of the uncomfortable trains. My question is... would a regular 5'10, and 140-160 pounds person feel no pain on SOB, as opposed to a 6'2, 250 pound bald guy? (As a rides lead, the biggest guest I've had was a guy who wanted to go on The Bat [PCW] who was around 6'6 and at least 230 pounds)
    I'm 5'8" and it still beat the snot out of me, so while height might make a bit of a difference, I don't know that it makes that much. I have heard that sitting the middle of the car, not over a wheel, helps, but couldn't say personally how much.
    Have you read my number 1 best seller? There will be a test! ~God
    Life with God is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
    My park & coaster photos: Sir Willow's Smugmug pictures
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, Bonfante Gardens, Holiday World, SFGrAm, Legoland and Disneyland | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix,Thunderhead- Dollywood, NM Rattler, Raven & Legend- HW, Viper- SFGrAm, Giant Dipper-SCBB | Steel Roller Coaster: X!!, Goliath, Talon, Millenium Force, Montu, Kumba, others

I'm 5'10 and around 150 so I guess i'm average size. When I go this year I'll sit in the middle of a car, I think I heard that before, not sure. Anyways, what amazes me is that it is rough. They spent a long time and a ton of money to build it, and it seems no one likes it.

Minetrain Poster
    The lines for SOB are as long as Papa Beast on any given day. It cycles people faster than Papa with only two trains due to it not having a second lift.

I've never really been hurt by the shuffle. It seems worse in the second helix than the first, side to side motion. The jackhammer I have experienced and when that happens that is painful *I agree* but its only happened in the front seat of a car. The middle seat is probably your best option but I like the backseats of cars also.

If your inclined to wait extra. The very front seat of the train is also a decent ride.

Chuck, who usually rides the very back seat for the airtime.