Thread: Trim Brakes

Trim Brakes

I want to ask the big question:

Why in the world was something as terrible and awful as trim brakes ever created!!?!

Just look at california screamin! it had airtime and a loop, now it only has a loop! Silverstar is wasted cuase of this. One Day Millenium Force will be ruined by trim brakes as well!!

It just breaks all the coaster's potential and speed!

WHY!!? WHY?!!
    I'm going to try my best to try and light an old flame...

on top of a mountain, four hours from any type of roller coaster
    ^ because of safety. without trims many rides would have sections that are just to violent and painful if they were taken at full speed. Its a shame they have to slow the trains down, but on most rides i really dont think it takes that much from the ride (except for a few rides, like california screamin')
    "If Seeing is Believing, then Believe that we have Lost our Eyes"

- Andy Hull, Manchester Orchestra
    Favorites: Amusement Park: fjfjfjf

Blue and White Ignite! VekomahangNbang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Worm
    Silverstar is wasted cuase of this.
    Silverstar trims are hardly on anymore

One Day Millenium Force will be ruined by trim brakes as well!
    Are you a psychic or something?
    GO MAGIC
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick

Millennium Force won't get trim brakes. It would roll back in the last turn during testing on a cold day. Besides, Cedar Point took pride that it has no brakes until the end.

Trim brakes are added because of, like what was said earlier, safety. Maintenance is also another reason, as is the case with Mean Streak. The structure would tear itself apart if it didn't have those brakes down the drop.

Silverstar has brakes because it's a gigantic coaster in a tame park. It was supposed to be a family attraction, so the trim brakes help keep it from being too intense. I don't get that reasoning, though.

California Screamin' got trim brakes for the same reason The Beast's brakes were changed to magnetic: safety. There were minor collisions on them, so the park wanted to take extra precautions in order to prevent that from happening again. What's better in the park's eyes: Some airtime and speed taken away or a lawsuit or injured people?
    ThrillNetwork editor emeritus - NSCIGC member
    Voyage is the best coaster
    Raptor ride count - 1,160.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, Holiday World, Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Raptor

I'm the good looking one Brian F's Avatar
    A town called Big Nothing (Really Big Nothing)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip
    as is the case with Mean Streak. The structure would tear itself apart if it didn't have those brakes down the drop.
    Personally, that sounds like a good idea to me. A woody with no air and excessive roughness (and it takes a LOT of roughness for me to call it excessive) needs to be firewood, even if it is as aesthetically pleasing as MS
    ThrillNetwork Lead Moderator
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force or Magnum- tough call.

Flying Chicken Poster magnum_man1989's Avatar
    Were the trims before the pretzel on Magnum always there? If not, that would be the best part of the ride speedin through those turns. Makes me wish I was born earlier.

Magnum XL- 200...1989-2007...18 years of toppin the list

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Blue Streak | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL- 200

I don't think the trims were on Magnum when it opened, but they added some shortly after it opened. They were originally on top of the third hill.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, Holiday World, Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Raptor

Here Here! Burn Mean Streak! Where's my match?

I don't particularly like trims. When I was at BGT this December, the trims were on Montu's mid-course extremely hard. Then there are times that you get a trim-less ride. But, when you are running 3 trains, it is crucial to make sure no sensors are set off and no collisions happen.

Now, I had one kick butt ride on Raptor this year. Trim-Free! I love rides like that!
    ~Website Admin and Staff Director~

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

Let gravity do the work.
    Why do some people assume trim brakes exist as a reason to keep a ride from running to its full potential? Sure, that may be causation, but not the reason they are there.

Like stated above, trims are on certain coasters for many reasons, reasons that are very important pertaining to different things. Safety, rider comfort, maintenance, reduction of wear and tear, as well as other things.

Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, United States
    I know on Wild Thing the trims are to slow the train so the on ride photo camera flash can keep up with the train. It kills the ride. I have been on it without trims and it is just airtime packed, but with the trims. Its like sitting in a chair getting tilted forward and back.

Originally known as Topdrag; Coaster Count: 309 Renegade Count: 846
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Europe | Wooden Roller Coaster: Boulder Dash | Steel Roller Coaster: Superman: Ride of Steel (SFNE)

Blue and White Ignite! VekomahangNbang's Avatar
    The trim on Montu before the batwing is a killer.
    GO MAGIC
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick

^ i didn't even know montu had trims! it must be awful!

/\ I don't think it is...the ride is still instense and just as fun...after all, it is in trenches most of the time afterwards, and not just on the ground. If that makes any sense.
    I just really hope that you think of me, because I'm tryna be unforgettable...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point -- Islands Of Adventure -- Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200 & Phantom's Revenge

^ it does, because if you took it out of the ground it would make it look taller, with bigger drops after the trims.
    it's simple
    Favorites: Amusement Park: "too many to mention" | Steel Roller Coaster: Big ones and classic ones

Magnum runs withought the trims sometimes. It is seemingly rare, but it happens, and boy oh boy let me tell you, it is a thing of BEAUTY. Not only does it rip throught the pretzel, those bunny hills are ejector quality. I got my thighs rubbed raw on the lap bar by taking only four laps in a row without the trims. It is truly an awesome experiece. The ride is still great with them on too. If you ride on a cold windy day, they turn them off because the trains run slow and have the potential for a roll back if the brakes are on. It also over shoots the brakes next to the lift hill right after the final tunnel if the trims aren't on. The first three cars will speed past the catwalks, and if they had to evacuate, it would be a pain in the butt. There are some pros and cons right there of trims.
    I like the Zingo a lot.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Magic Mountain | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum (with no trims), and Phantom's Revenge

My experience is that Magnum never has trim brakes on at night. Every night ride I've had o nthat ride was trim less.

the airtime must have been amazing!

Been Here Since the Begining Sir Willow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Worm
    ^ i didn't even know montu had trims! it must be awful!
    Frankly, the trims on Montu take nothing away from the ride. Not trying to be insulting, but I've always kind of felt that those who complained about Montu's trims were pretty much just whining.

The trims on Montu are just before the batwing/ cobra roll/ whatever you want to call it. As it is, it's still pretty intense going through it. In the back my feet get numb with the blood rushing to it, and I've had friends get very lightheaded through it. It doesn't need to be more intense, and it shouldn't be. And the slight slowdown they make keep it tolerable for the normal rider.

Which brings me to what trim brake's purpose is: to keep the ride running in a fashion that is optimum for the ride and for the riders. It may relieve some of the stresses on the ride, or possibly on the riders. But that's why they put them on. They may result sometimes in another part of the ride not being quite as much fun, but I'd rather that than have an unsafe condition.
    Have you read my number 1 best seller? There will be a test! ~God
    Life with God is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
    My park & coaster photos: Sir Willow's Smugmug pictures
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, Bonfante Gardens, Holiday World, SFGrAm, Legoland and Disneyland | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix,Thunderhead- Dollywood, NM Rattler, Raven & Legend- HW, Viper- SFGrAm, Giant Dipper-SCBB | Steel Roller Coaster: X!!, Goliath, Talon, Millenium Force, Montu, Kumba, others

i've never been through a batwing so i'll probaly never understand...

The trims don't kill montu-the problem is the MCRB. The second half of the ride is so boring when the MCRB is on.
    Asia: four little letters, four billion little people.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider | Steel Roller Coaster: Xcelerator

Teh Band
    There is a significant difference between a trip through Montu's Batwing without trims and one with them on. If you've ever done both within a very short period of time you know what one ride has one of the best inverions on the planet and one is nothing too special.

I'm the good looking one Steven's Avatar
    If you want a guaranteed trimless ride on Magnum... either the train has to be less than half full, or winds must be greater than 20 knots. Just because it's night doesn't mean that it's going to be trimless because i've ridden and operated the ride at night with trims on. Though, with the recent paintjob its received, or if it happens to be a really cool morning, it may change somewhat.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

Ha, trimless.. at night... thats funny. what difference does it make.. night or day...ha
    it's simple
    Favorites: Amusement Park: "too many to mention" | Steel Roller Coaster: Big ones and classic ones

rides with SEVERE Trim issues

5. Thunder Mountain @ MK
    4. Raptor (Sometimes)
    3. Thunder Mountain @ DLC
    2. Montu
    1. Space Mountain @ MK (In my opinion, the brakes really take too much away.)
    o hai. i herd u liek mudkipz?
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point

Quote Originally Posted by rlrcstrfreak
    Ha, trimless.. at night... thats funny. what difference does it make.. night or day...ha
    Roller coasters go faster at night. No lie.

My best experience on Magnum was a full train, trimless, at night with a little fall of rain. I was in the ejector seat. It was wild.

James
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip
    Roller coasters go faster at night. No lie.
    Its not that its night.. Its that they have had all day to warm up and break in. If you opened a ride for the day at say...7pm it wouldnt run as fast as it would be if it had opened at 10am...
    Last edited by James; 03-07-2006 at 12:26 AM.

So Im confused.. what are you saying? wouldnt the track be a bit tighter at night due to the decreasing temp?.. whatever.
    it's simple

the train kinda needs to warm up...

Been Here Since the Begining Sir Willow's Avatar
    It's not the train that warms up. It's the grease in the bearings and "friction" areas that when it's warmed up allows things to move freer and more quickly. Same thing with the wheels and track, which increase in temperature as the ride is operated. But more to do with the grease than anything else. Air temperature doesn't affect that all that much.

Think of it like your car- when does it run better? When you first start it up, or after it's been running for a little while. Does the outside temperature really make much of a difference in how well it runs, or how long it's been running and the time for the fluids inside of it to warm up to operating temperature? Same thing applies to coasters.
    Have you read my number 1 best seller? There will be a test! ~God
    Life with God is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
    My park & coaster photos: Sir Willow's Smugmug pictures
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, Bonfante Gardens, Holiday World, SFGrAm, Legoland and Disneyland | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix,Thunderhead- Dollywood, NM Rattler, Raven & Legend- HW, Viper- SFGrAm, Giant Dipper-SCBB | Steel Roller Coaster: X!!, Goliath, Talon, Millenium Force, Montu, Kumba, others

If you're ever at Dorney Park, watch Hydra (and ride it) during the day. Then look at it at night. That is the first coaster that I could visibly see running faster at night. It's downright ridiculous. My girlfriend and I flipped out when "something didn't seen quite right" with how Hydra was running. The ride itself was a lot better at night when it's going at full speed.
    I've been real all my life, they confuse it with conceit
    Since I will not lose, they try to help him cheat
    But I will not lose, for even in defeat
    There's a valuable lesson learned, so it evens it up for me
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Universal Studios Hollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Nitro